Page 889 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 884885886887888889890891892893894 ... LastLast
Results 26,641 to 26,670 of 30431

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    I wonder how well Wings would play to someone that didn't grow up with the two Berlins.
    It doesn't matter because Nick Cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

That's like wondering how Apocalypse Now would play for someone who didn't grow up during Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I wonder how Jimi Hendrix would play for someone who didn't grow up in a Fender guitar factory.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    I wonder if that crucifix is some sort of hint. She's looking for Jesus on LV-426. Perhaps a clue as to who's in that space jockey suit.

May give Pixote a run through tonight. Why are all Brazilian movies about poverty, theft, and prostitution? Because they love it!

Best novella movie featuring relationship cheating, mature huge titted nipple pokers, and floppy Cuban cocks currently showing for free on FIOS: ‘Perfecto Amor’ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390195/

Also recommend ‘Los Debutantes’ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384036/ and ‘Chicha Tu Madre’ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0778641/ .

The first 20-30 minutes of Wings of Desire casts quite a spell. The whole Peter Falk subplot fell flat for me, though. The dialogue scenes are just no match for that magical opening. Has anyone seen Wenders' sequel Faraway, So Close! ?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

This is exciting news - it turns out Weerasethakul's new film is NOT A DOCUMENTARY after all. I bailed on this review early because I want to go in cold.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I saw Andrei Zvyagintsev's Elena at USC last night, and despite some terrific sound design and mostly excellent performances, I left thoroughly unimpressed with this director that I have repeatedly heard described as an "heir to Tarkovsky" or whatever. I think that's a terrible way to judge a film or filmmaker, but this one was pretty boring and, well, my mind had to go somewhere. It's a story of social unrest, following the eponymous middle-aged woman who is married to an older rich guy but seems to have modest origins, as evidenced by her parasitic son who wallows in the slums with an expanding lower-class family; most of the drama unfolds around Elena's efforts to get her husband to pay a bribe so her grandson can get into college. That you can almost certainly imagine why the old man is reluctant to do that is indicative of the film's general obviousness; the events of this world unfold with a plodding inevitability that telegraphs basically every move, and not in a way that adds anything. What's even worse is - I don't think this was the intent, but it's tough to avoid reading the film's social paradigm as the paranoia of the 1%, with much of the film's last act seemingly dedicated to punishing Elena's family for her maneuverings and even likening them to the end of the world. Seriously.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The Dictator was sooo funny. I laughed hard enough to cry at least 3 times.

Many people in the theater were too offended to laugh however...

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Haywire: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Chronicle: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Advantage goes to Chronicle. Reading about how Soderbergh was trying to do a spaghetti western of sorts, I realize Haywire was supposed to be different than your average flick of that genre. It just really didn't click at all, and something felt off the entire time. And, as Gabe mentioned before, Gina Carano's acting was terrible.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The New Beverly is running David Lynch films during Memorial Day weekend... along with some of David Lynch's coffee on sale to drink during the shows... I will definately have to partake.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Haywire: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Chronicle: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Advantage goes to Chronicle. Reading about how Soderbergh was trying to do a spaghetti western of sorts, I realize Haywire was supposed to be different than your average flick of that genre. It just really didn't click at all, and something felt off the entire time. And, as Gabe mentioned before, Gina Carano's acting was terrible.
    I actually liked the Haywire ending. I thought it was pretty solidly entertaining all the way through. I'm looking forward to seeing Chronicle. But Netflix has the busted 1 month delay working with that movie. Makes you want to get rid of Netflix, until you realized going to Blockbuster sucks way worse.

Really hoping this is as good as the Armour of God movies. I'm excited for this one.

I really wanted to love Drive. I didn't. There was some good stuff, but it's pretty hollow. When did everyone forget how to do genre films right?
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I just also watched Haywire, and am pretty sure I liked it a lot more than anyone I talked to about it. It really did the trick. it's a quiet little action movie. Carano's tits and thighs are mesmerizing. I love watching her jump off walls to straddle guys' necks.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

I just also watched Haywire, and am pretty sure I liked it a lot more than anyone I talked to about it. It really did the trick. it's a quiet little action movie. Carano's tits and thighs are mesmerizing. I love watching her jump off walls to straddle guys' necks.
    She was just kind of hard to believe in that role, in no way is she slender (which you'd think someone would need to be to pull off moves like that). Aside from maybe Ocean's Thirteen, probably the weakest of the Soderbergh films I've seen.

On another note, I have a confession to make: I just watched The Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time tonight.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

She was just kind of hard to believe in that role, in no way is she slender (which you'd think someone would need to be to pull off moves like that). Aside from maybe Ocean's Thirteen, probably the weakest of the Soderbergh films I've seen.
    Are you kidding me? The movie is built off the fact that she can & does pull of moves like that. How in the hell is it hard to believe her in that role when that is the case? And why would being slender make her more believable in that role? Would you honestly believe Zoe Saldana could take her? Sure, here acting isn't great, but was it ever expected to be? She's never acted before. As the movie progressed her acting bothered me less & wasn't a huge problem to begin with as she didn't have to stretch herself all that much. I thought it was a neat action film and look forward to what Carano can do in the future.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yeah, Carano is actually doing all that stuff for real - that's what people who can do that stuff really look like ahhaha.

EDIT: The only reason she's not "slim" looking is because of muscle. I don't think that woman has much bodyfat on her. She's ripped.

EDIT 2: Also, I think going into thinking of it as a Soderbergh film is the wrong approach to this. It was an experiment on his part, and certainly very different from his usual work. as a smart action film, it pays off in spades, especially as a showcase for a fighter. it's very much the same kind of movie that we're used to seeing from Asian cinema, like a Tony Jaa movie. It was cool seeing her really using her MMA techniques used within a movie - the fights are incredibly believable. The only scene I had to really stretch my imagination was her fight with Ewan McGregor, whom I did not believe for a second would put up that much of a fight.

I was also pleasantly surprised that Michael Fassbender was in it as much as he was, and Channing Tatum was a really fun to watch in it too.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 05-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

I'm sure this one has been posted before but I'm not going back through all those pages. I just want to know if anyone has seen this yet? I have high expectations, just want some feedback. Thanks

EDIT 2: Also, I think going into thinking of it as a Soderbergh film is the wrong approach to this. It was an experiment on his part, and certainly very different from his usual work.
    After having seen the trailer for Magic Mike, I'm not sure what approach I should take with that one. On one hand, it's Steven Soderbergh. On the other, it's Channing Tatum in a stripper flick. I'm not sure how (or even if) to take it seriously.

Has anyone seen Coriolanus? I am downloading it now, and I fucking love Ralph Fiennes.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    After having seen the trailer for Magic Mike, I'm not sure what approach I should take with that one. On one hand, it's Steven Soderbergh. On the other, it's Channing Tatum in a stripper flick. I'm not sure how (or even if) to take it seriously.
    I don't say this as a pejorative (because I'm a big fan), but apart from Che and maybe something like Bubble, I don't think most of his movies are intended to be "taken seriously". He is an experimenter through and through (at least, within the realm of Hollywood filmmaking), and though his work generally has a unified set of aesthetics, he's made a dozen career moves that are intended to provoke a "what the fuck is this?" reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptHowdyO_o View Post
    I'm sure this one has been posted before but I'm not going back through all those pages. I just want to know if anyone has seen this yet? I have high expectations, just want some feedback. Thanks
    I haven't seen it yet but I will be catching it at Cinefamily in mid-June.

I watched Perry Henzel's The Harder They Come this afternoon. It's a scrappy, rough-edged, visually audacious rasta crime flick starring Jimmy Cliff (obviously) as an upstart singer who struggles to find success until he becomes a violent criminal. Highly recommended for the gorgeous 16mm photography, excellent score, and most of all, the potent allegory of the extreme lengths to which entertainers must go to catch the big break.

Yeah, Carano is actually doing all that stuff for real - that's what people who can do that stuff really look like ahhaha.
    Ah ok, I didn't realize she was an MMA fighter in a real life!

/uninformed observation

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

As I watched Naked again this afternoon, I was slightly depressed that I still have to occasionally turn on the subtitles in order to catch Mike Leigh's rich, wonderful dialogue. It's definitely worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Ah ok, I didn't realize she was an MMA fighter in a real life!

/uninformed observation
    TallGuy opens his mouth without having a fucking clue what he's talking about, big surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    As I watched Naked again this afternoon, I was slightly depressed that I still have to occasionally turn on the subtitles in order to catch Mike Leigh's rich, wonderful dialogue. It's definitely worth the effort.
    I have done the same thing.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

The first teaser for Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is every fucking bit as awesome as the first teaser for There Will Be Blood.

I love the look of that beach scene. Very excited for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****