Page 874 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 869870871872873874875876877878879 ... LastLast
Results 26,191 to 26,220 of 30712

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    winner winner winner

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Many good funny movies have been posted, but I'm a bit surprised to not see THE JERK, one of the funniest movies ever made mentioned yet.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 04-01-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    This is amazing. The cover is great.

Quote Originally Posted by flaminggodlikecreature View Post
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/s...s/totalrecall/
    As a big fan of the earlier film, the new trailer kind of makes it show that its at least following the original story line. Could be a bad thing though, it looks as if alot of the fight scenes are almost exactly the same...big question is-Colin Farell>Arnold?
    From the trailer it looks like it is not quite a remake of the 1990 film but rather another adaptation of the original Dick short story that takes a lot of cues from the 1990 film.

Verhoeven's film expanded significantly upon "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" (example: Quail does not go to Mars in the short story) and while that film was quite Dickian in nature I am expecting/hoping this one stays closer to the story's plot.

The fact that they kept the title of the older adaptation leaves me with less hope, though that's a minor quibble and may be more indicative of the compromises that need to be made for the big budget films to be made in Hollywood rather than poor choices by the writer(s) and the director.

And yes, Colin Farrell is definitely Quail (though in the earlier film the character's last name was Quaid.)
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 04-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I saw John Carter today. I thought it was pretty cool, but I wish it was more like the book (less convoluted). Also, since it was pretty pulpy and silly, I wish it went even harder in that direction. I'm a little sad that it will not become a franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

So, does everyone have that one dvd they own that they just have never gotten around to watching even if they know it's good and are told to watch it all the time? That was Into The Wild for me, which is funny since I have and enjoy the Eddie Vedder soundtrack often.

Well I watch it last night. Pretty enamored by it, perhaps from not having any real hype to seeing it. Just popped it in and went along for the ride which in hindsight seems best for this film.

Does anyone else have one of these movies of your shelf? Or a movie of shame you just haven't/wont see?

Yes, I could be a bit biased but I thought both the film and the soundtrack to Into the Wild were fantastic.

I currently have a few dvds sitting here that I've accrued from various sources that I have yet to watch: Synecdoche New York, The White Ribbon, and Layer Cake.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Synecdoche is probably the only Kaufman film I didn't connect with immediately. It's a little too slow for me.

Layer Cake on the other hand is pretty mindless fun... Daniel Craig at the helm, nothing really special but I've seen it a few times and don't mind the repeat viewings.

Paris, Texas and Blow Out have been sitting on my shelf for some time. Also need to rewatch Miller's Crossing. Coachella music and schoolwork keeping me from watching many movies!!

I wish I could watch Synecdoche New York for the first time again. Beautiful film. You really should get to that one.

Layer Cake is fun as ods.. said; my dad really enjoys it. The White Ribbon looked like major oscar bait...

Blow Out is excellent! Just watched it. Paris, Texas is on my list as well.

Into the Wild was absolutely wonderful. It really has a more modern Beat Movement feel to it then I was expecting. I wonder how the book is of it.

Just scanned the dvds... Catch Me If you Can, Ive yet to view. Might pop it in since I'm wide awake. Some things just pass me by.

Wow! You've never seen Catch Me If You Can? I feel like everyone's seen that lol. I liked it, but it's always on. I'm kinda over it.

Yes, Blow Out is fantastic. I really need to rewatch it, of all the films I've seen in the past few years it's one of the top few that I imagine would reward multiple viewings.

And it's funny you mention Paris, Texas, I've had it in the queue to watch for a few weeks but getting caught up on tv shows has prevented me from watching it. I'll likely watch it this coming weekend.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Wow! You've never seen Catch Me If You Can? I feel like everyone's seen that lol. I liked it, but it's always on. I'm kinda over it.
    I know right? Ive seen every Speilberg film besides it I think. O and War Horse... Its just fallen in the "movies mom told me are really good and I'll like" category over the years. Starting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yes, Blow Out is fantastic. I really need to rewatch it, of all the films I've seen in the past few years it's one of the top few that I imagine would reward multiple viewings.

And it's funny you mention Paris, Texas, I've had it in the queue to watch for a few weeks but getting caught up on tv shows has prevented me from watching it. I'll likely watch it this coming weekend.
    It does. Its one of the few films I've watched twice in the same day. I ran it over to a friends house who is into all that I was so surprised by it.

Let's all watch Paris, Texas this week and share thoughts. K? K. Looks like netflix has the criterion blu ray.

I started Blow Out and just never finished it like a dummy. :/ I'll likely watch both this weekend when I go home and have a minute.

Derp. When I was talking about how it would be great with multiple viewings, I was thinking of Blow Up. But I did just watch Blow Out for the first time like a month ago, and I stand by my original statement, just to a bit of a lesser extent.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    OMG, I thought this was a gag-cover the boardies of the Criterion Forum create, but lo-and-behold, this shit is for real!!! hahahahaha This gave me a good chuckle during an otherwise annoying work day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Does anyone else have one of these movies of your shelf? Or a movie of shame you just haven't/wont see?
    To watch pile a.k.a. Kevyip pile

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I currently have a few dvds sitting here that I've accrued from various sources that I have yet to watch: Synecdoche New York, The White Ribbon, and Layer Cake.
    White Ribbon was a really fantastic film. In fact, I need to give it another watch. The B&W was gorgeous and complimented the setting of the film!

That Criterion Kindergarten Cop is not real; if nothing else the extras guve ut away. Ten hours of out takes? OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I may also be a gullibe motherfucker too.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

How is the validity of the Kindergarten Cop dvd an actual conversation being had by anyone anywhere ever?
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes, I found it bizarre that someone would compile 600 minutes of behind the scenes footage of that movie, of all things.

I watched Martha Marcy May Marlene last night and I really liked it. Olson gives quite a fearless performance in it, she's just phenomenal! I enjoyed that there were some thriller/suspenseful moments, and that a lot of it was just vague enough to really keep us wondering what actually happened back in NY. I also really liked the way they transitioned back and froth between present and flashbacks.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Criterion had a hilarious photoshop of Akira Kurosawa standing next to Arnold "on the set of Kindergarten Cop" on Facebook, too:

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Ha!! ^

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Movies I own but have not yet watched:

For All Mankind (Criterion Blu)
    Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy (Criterion Blu)
    Antonioni's Identification of a Woman (Criterion Blu)
    By Brakhage - Volumes 1 and 2 (Criterion Blu)
    Zhang Yimou's Shanghai Triad

I'm sort of putting myself on a movie-buying embargo until I watch all of these...
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Three Colors trilogy!
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I'm absolutely shocked that you haven't seen the Three Colors trilogy, Gabe.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Well, once I heard the Criterion set was coming, I sort of abandoned any attempt to see them until it dropped. And since I got them for Christmas, I haven't had a good opportunity to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Break up the Brakhage into programs; it's too overwhelming to do it all at once, purely at a sensory level. The Antonioni is sitting on my self, too.

I'm jealous of anyone who gets to watch the Three Colors Trilogy for the first time.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I just did 3 or 4 months ago, and it was truly a joy.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Thank for reminding me. Been on my list since I heard about them.

Do you all recommend watching them in a timely manner of each other or can I space it out?
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 04-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.