Page 790 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 785786787788789790791792793794795 ... LastLast
Results 23,671 to 23,700 of 30828

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    I think I need to start associating with a different crowd. These were some of the reactions when I suggested Tree of Life this weekend to several friends.

"Looks like a Netflix one."
    "Oh God no! I heard there's, like, a 15 minute scene of just space. No talking."
    "Is that the one about the bridesmaids?" (!!!!!!!!!!!)

Guess this will be a solo venture. Did someone mention it was playing on the Dome? I guess that's over now as it looks like Hangover II is playing there now. Lame.
    Yes, you need to find a new group of people to see movies with. And yes, Tree of Life played the Dome, but it was only one showing last Sunday morning; otherwise, it's been Hangover for the past couple weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I saw it twice this weekend and I'm convinced of its brilliance. It feels like a gift - the film that Malick has been building towards his whole career. I don't feel like I'm exaggerating when I say that it's the most visually stunning piece of cinema I've ever laid eyes on - almost overwhelmingly beautiful at times. Emmanuel Lubezki has set the bar for what's possible with a camera lens.

I thought the cast was excellent. I had my doubts about a star of Pitt's caliber fitting seamlessly into the film, but he really disappeared into his character. Some of his finest work to date. I'd never seen Jessica Chastain in anything before, but thought she was incredible. Both her and Pitt gave performances that were complex enough for their characters to coexist both as individuals and the archetypes they represented. Sean Penn made the most of his sliver of screen time.

But the real stars of the film were the children, particularly the two older brothers (Hunter McCracken and Laramie Eppler.) Pretty extraordinary performances for a couple of first-timers. I was kind of annoyed that my girlfriend didn't have the same love for the movie that I did, but she made a good point: this is a boys' film. Some of the scenes of childhood were so alive in their authenticity it seemed as though you were witnessing nothing less than pure human memory. I've never had a film so completely capture what it felt like to be a young boy on the cusp of adulthood.

I've read several negative reviews for the film that I don't necessarily disagree with. I'm just glad my reaction was different. I never got to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in the theaters, and that's about the only film I can think of matches The Tree of Life in scope and ambition. It seems like a movie like this comes around maybe once in a generation, and I for one feel nothing but gratitude to Mr. Malick for sharing it with the world.
    It definitely got better for me the second time around, and I agree 100% that it's Malick's masterpiece. I said initially that I didn't think I could argue with the negative reviews, but seeing how well it held up, I'm inclined to shy away from that. This is an unquestionably great film that poignantly evolves the conventions of narrative cinema.

I'm also anxious to see if this will finally get you fuckers to properly embrace The Fountain.
    Last edited by schoolofruckus; 06-06-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I'm also anxious to see if this will finally get you fuckers to properly embrace The Fountain.
    I think that might just be why I didn't quite like Tree as much as some of you did, elements of it reminded me very much of The Fountain and it was hard not to have a knee-jerk reaction.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 06-06-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

That won't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Darren Aronofsky cries himself to sleep after seeing a superior filmmaker accomplish everything that he attempted with that film.

Well, Malick is unquestionably a superior filmmaker - primarily because he doesn't have a Black Swan in him. But Aronofsky made his best film from a similar set of ambitions and the entire world turned on him. That can't help but hurt.

The world might have turned on Malick as well if he looked like David Arquette.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I feel like all three of Haneke's films I've seen (Time of the Wolf, Funny Games (US) and The White Ribbon, in descending order of preference) have some Great Movie in them. But his vision - always thematically and often visually - is absolutely repulsive, and I feel like his main objective is obfuscation for its own sake. There's some merit to his method (although I think a lot of people get on board simply because they feel bullied and confused), but I just can't have much affinity for an alleged artist who has this level of contempt for everyone on both sides of the screen.
    So... I'm a bit perplexed about how there is any obfuscation in Funny Games... Or as to how it's a main objective in Time of the Wolf... It certainly is pervasive in The White Ribbon... but that is incredibly consistent with the thematic material... and essential to the internal logic of the film. Haneke is a genius. Definitely one of the greatest living filmmakers.

As to Tree of Life... It is undoubtedly a masterpiece. I'm a bit hesitant about the structure... I wonder whether or not it would have been more effective without resting in the memory in one massive chunk. I need to see it again. Probably next weekend.

That said... the comparison to The Fountain is appalling. That film is a clunky pot of schlock steeped in hollywood melodrama. Tree of Life is anything but...

Herzog's on Colbert tonight. Pretty funny, but I could listen to that guy talk for hours.

My Tree of Life review will have to wait until the weekend. Turns out I couldn't make it into Atlanta on Saturday. I did see Everything Must Go and The Beaver on Sunday, both of which had their moments. They're actually both pretty interesting in how they don't try too hard to make the protagonists particularly likable. Gibson's character, especially, is a turd throughout the movie, and there's only a hint of redemption at the end. Guy might be a twerp in real life, but I actually came away from the movie thinking more of him as an actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Any suggestions to see at LA Film Festival?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Any suggestions to see at LA Film Festival?
    The Yellow Sea, Detective Dee & the Mystery of the Phantom Flame, Drive & Attack the Block. TRUST.

And of course The Seductions of Ingmar Bergman if you want to check Sparks performing a musical they put together live with Guy Maddin directing.

Another Earth, The Future & The Innkeepers should be good as well. I'm sure there are some other gems I'm missing out on too.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I love Hot Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Attack The Block looks fucking horrible. I'm surprised to see so many people interested in it. i read the synopsis a few weeks ago and was all "oh that sounds cool!" and then saw the trailer and couldn't fucking believe it. Prove me wrong, I guess.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

It's a very good movie. Prove yourself wrong and go see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

It looked fun to me, but nothing special.

Coachella Junkie

I have no idea why the Chemical Brothers were involved, and Cate Blanchett was terribly miscast, but Hanna turned out to be a better than average thriller. I just realized it's the same girl from Atonement so I'll withhold my predictions of big things to come from the lead actress.

It's the same director as Atonement as well
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie

Oh dip.

Coachella Junkie

This almost makes me want to watch The Soloist.

Don't. Bad idea.
    "White people's skin is their jewelry." -Heems

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    So... I'm a bit perplexed about how there is any obfuscation in Funny Games... Or as to how it's a main objective in Time of the Wolf... It certainly is pervasive in The White Ribbon... but that is incredibly consistent with the thematic material... and essential to the internal logic of the film. Haneke is a genius. Definitely one of the greatest living filmmakers.
    You're right about Funny Games - while I haven't seen it in a while, I remember its perspective being abundantly clear. But with Time of the Wolf...I'm going to offer up the last scene with the kid by the campfire - and specifically, the way it's resolved - as an example of something that made NO fucking sense to me. If that's not Haneke deliberately obscuring anything that would help me understand what it was supposed to convey, the alternatives are that Palm horrendously fucked up the subtitles, or I'm significantly more dim-witted than I've ever realized.

While his films frustrate me, I mostly find them boring. The only thing I find particularly memorable is the subsequent conversations that make me wonder what I'm missing.

As to Tree of Life... It is undoubtedly a masterpiece. I'm a bit hesitant about the structure... I wonder whether or not it would have been more effective without resting in the memory in one massive chunk. I need to see it again. Probably next weekend.
    Very pleased to hear this.

That said... the comparison to The Fountain is appalling. That film is a clunky pot of schlock steeped in hollywood melodrama. Tree of Life is anything but...
    There are plenty of comparisons to make between Aronofsky's film and Malick's. Beyond the fact that they both literally involve the concept of a tree of life, each film concerns a man trying to process the death of a loved one through contemplating his place in the history of Earth and the universe. The Fountain may connect these ruminations with a narrative contrivance, but that's still the same trajectory taken by Jackman's character. The clunkiness and schlockiness is something we'll never agree upon, but the melodramatic tag seems unfair for a film that's trying to explore the nature of death. The Tree of Life is wildly emotional in its own right; I don't see why The Fountain alone deserves this criticism simply for dealing more concretely with its heroine's passing. I suspect that a lot of your aversion to its execution is due to the bombastic Mansell/Kronos score, but doesn't Tree of Life do the same thing with its chosen opera pieces? I don't have a problem with this in either case - bombast is entirely appropriate when the film is attempting to push the edges of existence - but it seems that the only difference is that Malick didn't choose a composer that you already hate .

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Attack The Block looks fucking horrible. I'm surprised to see so many people interested in it. i read the synopsis a few weeks ago and was all "oh that sounds cool!" and then saw the trailer and couldn't fucking believe it. Prove me wrong, I guess.
    I'm not terrible impressed with what I've seen so far, but the enormous enthusiasm by so many people who have seen and written about it is enough for me to drop $13 and see it at LAFF.

I rewatched the Legend directors cut for probably the first time in 6 years tonight and fuck that's a an amazing movie, especially for an early work by a young director. I'm looking forward to listening to the commentary during a slow work day tomorrow
    last.fm

figured you guys would enjoy this.

edit: uncensored maybe nsfw

Last edited by disgustipated; 06-08-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Luckily for you, suprefan rarely comes in here. But yeah, that was awesome. I need to make a hajj to the Drafthouse one of these years.

shit. I have'nt been on here in a while. vineyards are keeping me busy.

sorry for the double post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Wait, you haven't seen Cache, Schoolio?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I have not. I'm sure I'll try that one at some point. I tend to not give up easily on directors that are widely considered to be great - and who, as I credited to Haneke, have moments within the films that I find striking.

Aurora, the new film from Cristi Puiu (The Death of Mr. Lazarescu), looks fucking incredible:
    http://www.vimeo.com/24811231

I listened to Ridley Scott's commentary on the Legend Director's Cut dvd today. As usual, Scott proves to be one of the best commentators out there. He always comes to the table extremely well prepared and has a ton of really neat information about every process of the production. I'm always happy about how technical he's willing to get.

I've been having a bit of a love affair with Ridley Scott the last couple of years and he's really become on of my all time favorite directors. There's still about 4 of his films I've yet to see. Even when working with scripts/projects that aren't the best, he's such a fucking craftsman that he really pours his guts into a movie.
    last.fm

Finally got a few ppl together for Tree of Life + dinner tomorrow. So damn excited to see it. Hopefully you guys don't consider this misuse of the thread. Arclight + dinner...

Off Vine, Kabuki, Fabiolus or Los Balcones de Peru? (No to Umami; done it far too often).