View Poll Results: Well?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • nu-metal (Korn, Limp Bizkit, ICP)

58 13.09%
  • hair metal (Poison, Whitesnake, Ratt)

20 4.51%
  • post-grunge (Creed, Hinder, Nickelback)

108 24.38%
  • pop-punk (Green Day, Good Charlotte, etc)

14 3.16%
  • eyeliner emo (Panic! at the Disco, MCR)

41 9.26%
  • gangsta rap (50 Cent, Chingy)

31 7.00%
  • Christian (P.O.D., Jars of Clay, Michael W Smith)

52 11.74%
  • 21st century post-punk ripoffs (Editors Want Interpol)

2 0.45%
  • pop country (Faith Hill, Kenny Chesney)

93 20.99%
  • other

24 5.42%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worst genre of music?

Default Re: Worst genre of music?

Quote Originally Posted by msklvr View Post
    I voted for other because there is something good that came out of each genre at one time or another.

And no one say anything bad about the Deftones. Chino is the man.
    THE Deftones? Fucking idiot.

White people smell like wet dog and french fries.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

i voted Christian music. trends come and go but Christian music always stays. especially in the more rural areas of this fine nation.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    How is it remotely different from violence in movies? Why is the Sopranos any better than 50 Cent, exactly? I'm not just disagreeing for the fuck of it, but I think it's kinda silly for you to call gangsta rap out (about 15 years too late I might add) as socially irresponsible. Know what's actually socially irresponsible? Gangs. Do you think rap inspired gangs? No. The gangs came first. They permeated the world that (some) of these rappers grew up in. And I can tell you for a fact that in Compton, Inglewood, NY, Camden, Newark... it's not just hype. They started making music about it because art has always been the vehicle by which the disenfranchised make their voices heard. I'm sure you'd prefer that they all responded by making socially responsible Will Smith public service announcement raps, but frankly that's just neither good lyric material nor would it be reflective of the inner-city black culture's true desires. Every once in a while they'd come out with something that reflected on the evil of what they were doing... but at the end of the day it's still gangs that get respect, that act as a militia to represent patriotism for their neighborhoods, that have the power and money and women and that are therefore more desirable to the market rappers are targeting.

You see, I try not to stereotype people.
    "True desires"?
    I would love to hear you say that they all truely DO desire rims!

Quote Originally Posted by STALINZZZ View Post
    THE Deftones? Fucking idiot.
    Lick my sweaty sack, asscrack.

I can't figure out if you are picking on the capitalization of "the", or if you don't like the Deftones.

Either way, please go fuck yourself.
    I love music, and I hate vowels.

Yeah, I remember my scene friends trying to tell me how Deftones were hardcore or whatever, and I don't buy that shit at all. They were what post-grunge should mean--that which followed and grew out of grunge. Sorry, I don't see the connection between Deftones and earlier hardcore acts the way it seems blatantly obvious that they grew up on grunge and then got a little older and started developing a form of music that took its aesthetics but upped the energy--a more alternative alternative to the alt-rock period of the early 90s. The guitar work was just speedier grunge licks, not an update of hardcore from what I ever heard.

Agreed. At least until White Pony he was.

I don't think anyone was. I just misunderstood this "post-grunge" thing. Seriously, how are Bush and Live "post-grunge?" They're listed examples in the wiki for it. They both came out like a year or two tops after the grunge explosion, grunge wasn't even over yet, so how can they be post-grunge? They were just alternative. Post-grunge is bullshit.

How is it remotely different from violence in movies? Why is the Sopranos any better than 50 Cent, exactly? I'm not just disagreeing for the fuck of it, but I think it's kinda silly for you to call gangsta rap out (about 15 years too late I might add) as socially irresponsible. Know what's actually socially irresponsible? Gangs. Do you think rap inspired gangs? No. The gangs came first. They permeated the world that (some) of these rappers grew up in. And I can tell you for a fact that in Compton, Inglewood, NY, Camden, Newark... it's not just hype. They started making music about it because art has always been the vehicle by which the disenfranchised make their voices heard. I'm sure you'd prefer that they all responded by making socially responsible Will Smith public service announcement raps, but frankly that's just neither good lyric material nor would it be reflective of the inner-city black culture's true desires. Every once in a while they'd come out with something that reflected on the evil of what they were doing... but at the end of the day it's still gangs that get respect, that act as a militia to represent patriotism for their neighborhoods, that have the power and money and women and that are therefore more desirable to the market rappers are targeting.

You should try thinking a little deeper and consider the fact that until NWA and The Chronic started showing up in white teenagers' stereos you didn't hear too much about just how serious street gang violence was/is, did you? Perhaps by frightening the middle-class by promoting the gang lifestyle they did a lot more to draw useful attention to the problem than any positive message music could have.

She Wants Revenge definitely tries to sound like Interpol as much as possible. But I can tell SWR just by the drum parts alone. They use a drum machine and the dumb cunts don't know how to program it.

SNARE IS NEVER ON 1 AND 3, DUMBSHITS. They have white people rhythm.
    '

How do you have so much time to post so much? Every post of yours is like an essay.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I type fast. I think fast. I write around 15 pages of single spaced prose a day or so even not on this board. It's not that hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by msklvr View Post
    Lick my sweaty sack, asscrack.
    SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER!*

*joke
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Has anyone mentioned boy bands? At one point in music it seemed it was like the same 5 guys were coming out with a new song. They all sounded and looked the same. When I heard one acapella voice starting a song, it was my clue to click to another channel.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

whiney pain in butt

did anybody else see the south park marathon. i saw some of it in my hotel. they played the episode when cartman starts a christian group. so freaking sweet.

First of all, I'd like to give my congrats to Boourns on truly picking the shittiest genres ever for this poll. This is a toughie, but I'll go with post-grunge. I was thinking about going with nu-metal, but nu-metal is really entertaining to make fun of with friends. Post-grunge just makes me queasy.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    First of all, I'd like to give my congrats to Boourns on truly picking the shittiest genres ever for this poll. This is a toughie, but I'll go with post-grunge. I was thinking about going with nu-metal, but nu-metal is really entertaining to make fun of with friends. Post-grunge just makes me queasy.
    do you prefer panic at the disco, fall out boy, my chemical romance (eyeliner emo) over post grunge(remember theres a lot of bands better than nickelback)?

Quote Originally Posted by hypervera View Post
    do you prefer panic at the disco, fall out boy, my chemical romance (eyeliner emo) over post grunge(remember theres a lot of bands better than nickelback)?

Agreed.. I don't know how Post-Grunge could be nearly as bad as emo.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Grindcore is pretty bad.

so is drone metal.

oh and Merzbow, whatever the fuck he is
    You just made me put some Pig Destroyer and Nasum into this evening's playlist. Thank you. I would've put some Sunn O))) or Earth too but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    When it comes to Christmas music, I am the Grinch. Seriously. Until Mike Patton releases a Christimas album, I very much doubt I will like any Christmas music.
    Aahahahaha awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

had to go with the adult alternative radio answer to nirvana

the soft grunge

ughhhh

well it seems that not everybody noticed that in the poll we have an option called eyeliner emo (fall out boy, panic at the disco, my chemical romance) and GRUNGE, POST-GRUNGE AND ANY GRUNGE is fuckin better than every type of emo.

and even nu metal is better than eyeliner emo

SNARE IS NEVER ON 1 AND 3, DUMBSHITS. They have white people rhythm.
    Snare can be on 3 and is in most latin type beats not that SWR uses those

Banned

chingy is gangster rap?

Quote Originally Posted by gratytrainridesagain View Post
    Snare can be on 3 and is in most latin type beats not that SWR uses those
    Yes, well it's not a rule for every type of music in the world, obviously. We're talking about rock music.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

every genre of music has its good, but i cannot stand these myspace emo/screamo bands with the most ridiculous names
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I do.

I prefer superficially catchy but stupid music to music with absolutely nothing to offer me. All three of your examples I quite enjoyed the first few times I heard them. Eventually I realized that there was no substance there, but it was fun for a few listens.

The fact that you call it "eyeliner emo" means you're more concerned with the "scene" and the "fashion" than the music. I don't go to the shows, or see the videos, or see these kids with all the bands written on their Pee-chee folders.

I actually got Panic's first CD as a gift. I read a good review that sounded interesting, mentioned it to someone, and got it for Christmas a few weeks later. I really liked it- eventually it got on my nerves, though. About six months later, I saw them on TV playing somewhere, and- I'll admit it- they were pretty annoying to watch. If I had seen them before I heard them, I might not have given them a chance- so I understand where you're coming from.

I had actually heard MCR before and hated them. But I heard Black Parade somewhere and genuinely liked it. Picked up the album because it was like $9 at Target. It's a total rip off of Queen and Pink Floyd. But I like Queen and Pink Floyd, so what's wrong with that?

Fall Out Boy- I was in a rental car in rural Washington state. We had been listening to the radio for days and it was driving us insane. The only things we had heard that we liked was Gnarls Barkley and Fall Out Boy. We wound up buying CDs at a Wal-mart in a small town that had no music store...bought those two albums, plus the newest Pet Shop Boys. Probably the only three listenable CDs you could find at a rural Wal-mart. I thought there were 5 or 6 really good pop songs on the FOB CD. It's good for what it is- disposable pop-rock. I don't know if I've ever seen a picture or clip of these guys, and I wouldn't associate them with that whole "emo" thing if it wasn't for people like you who constantly lump these three bands together.

And apparently, they are the ONLY three "emo" bands...I never hear anyone else mentioned. I don't really hear that they have much in common musically. I don't get it. Apparently, Fall Out Boy's haircuts and makeup makes them the same as everyone else with similar haircuts and makeup. I just don't hear it in the music.

And growing up in the hair-metal era...I totally understand that. There were probably some talented bands that I totally dismissed when I was a kid because their manager told them to tease their hair up.

To me, "emo" was stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World. I still really love Jimmy Eat World-been listening to them since they were playing little clubs in AZ. Even then, I didn't understand the label. And I don't see how any of these three bands have much in common either.

Anyway...you mention that there's "better bands than Nickelback." First of all...understatement of the century. EVERY band is better than Nickelback. But by saying that, you''re implying that these are the worst acts each genre has to offer. Since "eyeliner emo" is only ever mentioned by people who hate it, and no one is capable of pointing out anyone but these three examples...I have to assume that I kind of like THE ENTIRE GENRE! Because there's only 3 bands, and they are all not that bad! I do like Green Day, though I haven't seen them in 14 years. And Interpol is OK. But everything else on this list is shit, so I guess "eyeliner emo" is my favorite. And I didn't even know it!

Fuck genres and fuck this poll. I like music myself. Some of you guys love to subdivide the music YOU like into tiny little sub-genres. ("Are you retarded? That's 'Trance', not 'Hard Trance'. 'Trance' blows.") Then you lump everything you don't like into one big genre. ("Dwight Yoakam? What's next...Toby Keith?") How about actually developing a critical thought for yourself? How about judging music on it's own merits (or lack of) instead of what the band looks like in their Teen Beat centerfold?

Best part about getting old is you stop giving a fuck about what other people think and start seeing the world as it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    I do.

I prefer superficially catchy but stupid music to music with absolutely nothing to offer me. All three of your examples I quite enjoyed the first few times I heard them. Eventually I realized that there was no substance there, but it was fun for a few listens.

The fact that you call it "eyeliner emo" means you're more concerned with the "scene" and the "fashion" than the music. I don't go to the shows, or see the videos, or see these kids with all the bands written on their Pee-chee folders.

I actually got Panic's first CD as a gift. I read a good review that sounded interesting, mentioned it to someone, and got it for Christmas a few weeks later. I really liked it- eventually it got on my nerves, though. About six months later, I saw them on TV playing somewhere, and- I'll admit it- they were pretty annoying to watch. If I had seen them before I heard them, I might not have given them a chance- so I understand where you're coming from.

I had actually heard MCR before and hated them. But I heard Black Parade somewhere and genuinely liked it. Picked up the album because it was like $9 at Target. It's a total rip off of Queen and Pink Floyd. But I like Queen and Pink Floyd, so what's wrong with that?

Fall Out Boy- I was in a rental car in rural Washington state. We had been listening to the radio for days and it was driving us insane. The only things we had heard that we liked was Gnarls Barkley and Fall Out Boy. We wound up buying CDs at a Wal-mart in a small town that had no music store...bought those two albums, plus the newest Pet Shop Boys. Probably the only three listenable CDs you could find at a rural Wal-mart. I thought there were 5 or 6 really good pop songs on the FOB CD. It's good for what it is- disposable pop-rock. I don't know if I've ever seen a picture or clip of these guys, and I wouldn't associate them with that whole "emo" thing if it wasn't for people like you who constantly lump these three bands together.

And apparently, they are the ONLY three "emo" bands...I never hear anyone else mentioned. I don't really hear that they have much in common musically. I don't get it. Apparently, Fall Out Boy's haircuts and makeup makes them the same as everyone else with similar haircuts and makeup. I just don't hear it in the music.

And growing up in the hair-metal era...I totally understand that. There were probably some talented bands that I totally dismissed when I was a kid because their manager told them to tease their hair up.

To me, "emo" was stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and Jimmy Eat World. I still really love Jimmy Eat World-been listening to them since they were playing little clubs in AZ. Even then, I didn't understand the label. And I don't see how any of these three bands have much in common either.

Anyway...you mention that there's "better bands than Nickelback." First of all...understatement of the century. EVERY band is better than Nickelback. But by saying that, you''re implying that these are the worst acts each genre has to offer. Since "eyeliner emo" is only ever mentioned by people who hate it, and no one is capable of pointing out anyone but these three examples...I have to assume that I kind of like THE ENTIRE GENRE! Because there's only 3 bands, and they are all not that bad! I do like Green Day, though I haven't seen them in 14 years. And Interpol is OK. But everything else on this list is shit, so I guess "eyeliner emo" is my favorite. And I didn't even know it!

Fuck genres and fuck this poll. I like music myself. Some of you guys love to subdivide the music YOU like into tiny little sub-genres. ("Are you retarded? That's 'Trance', not 'Hard Trance'. 'Trance' blows.") Then you lump everything you don't like into one big genre. ("Dwight Yoakam? What's next...Toby Keith?") How about actually developing a critical thought for yourself? How about judging music on it's own merits (or lack of) instead of what the band looks like in their Teen Beat centerfold?

Best part about getting old is you stop giving a fuck about what other people think and start seeing the world as it really is.
    yeah listen to all the music you want, no problem.
    but again "post-grunge" or nu metal>>>>bands like mcr, fall out boy, panic at the disco, etc (and i only wrote this 3 bands because they´re the most representative of this shit)

Quote Originally Posted by STALINZZZ View Post
    The artists in your "nu-R&B" genre are at lest respectable.
    Well, they are one of the reasons I stopped watching anything on TV having to do with music, and stopped listening to certain radio stations. At one point everywhere I went I had to hear this music, and it was pretty bad. Even in the grocery stores or at a restaurant, they would play the same songs over and over and over.

Thank god for Napster, or I would have given up on music entirely.

I know this sounds stupid, and I know "everyone" hates Nickelback, but I just don't think they are as bad as the other groups lumped into the "post-grunge" category. What is it that makes them so hated?

The other bands in this category have no soul at all to their music, it's just.. dead. No feelings expressed. Empty. When I hear Hinder I change the station very quickly.

Also, I do agree that post-grunge is not accurate for bands like Hinder and Creed. As someone pointed out, the Deftones and Korn seem more like what came from grunge.

Can we drop the "post grunge", and change it to "dead souless"? More accurate.

yeah listen to all the music you want, no problem.
    but again "post-grunge" or nu metal>>>>bands like mcr, fall out boy, panic at the disco, etc (and i only wrote this 3 bands because they´re the most representative of this shit)
    Although I was being hostile, I'm willing to be enlightened. Which bands are "most representative" of "Post Grunge" or "Nu-Metal"? Because it may turn out that I agree with you.

Of the bands listed on this stupid poll, the "emo" bands are the most listenable to me. Korn is the only one of the "nu-metal" bands listed that is anywhere close to good music and, sorry, I'd take MCR over them. Well, the new album anyway. I'd probably pick Korn over their old shit.

So what are these great "post grunge" bands that Nickelback is giving a bad name?

Where do you guys put Avenged Sevenfold...because I'll agree that garbage is awful. To me, they fit in with Korn, but it seems like everyone wants to lump them in with emo. Just the clothes? Stop obsessing over looks.

korn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>panic at the disco, mcr, fall out boy

bush or live or collective soul or any band from mid 90's>>>>>>>>>>>panic, mcr, fall out boy

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

so many genres of suck it was hard to ultimately choose, Creed/Nickleback shite, well done Boourns
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

People are being way too kind to post-grunge and nu-metal. I theorize a lot of people have a bit of a soft spot deep down for that crap since they grew up with it, even if they can't listen to it now.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda