Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Underrated Movie

Default Re: Most Underrated Movie

Mystery Men is just unbelievably bad. What are you talking about?

Requiem is overrated and Run Lola Run is not much different. They're both style, not substance, not character, not development, not plot. Memento is only a slightly higher evolution of the same fault--far too much credit given for essentially a one-viewing contrived ploy. Requiem is everything that Trainspotting isn't, which is why it doesn't come close to Trainspotting's tie for best movie ever made. Run Lola Run is a German chich Rashomon, that's all.

Big ups to the original Manchurian Candidate. Such a shame the remake in now probably better known than the brilliant original.

Idiocracy is not underrated, it was a good idea executed poorly.

The Way Of The Gun is good at times, mostly just because it's extremely visceral. Usual Suspects is not a good comparison though--I'd go with The Professional/Natural Born Killers as a "if you liked these, you'll like this" instead (despite Stone's pissing all over a brilliant script with Killers").

Cannibal and Wet Hot got exactly the recongiition they deserve. The Wet Hot crew's excuse for witty satire is so immature and half-assed it makes ME blush and the Zucker Bros. cringe.

Pi is Aronofsky's best flick, and shares a lot of similarties with and differences with Primer. Primer is kinda intensely boring unless you like being drawn into the ultra-geeky world of practically real science fiction, and it must be applauded for somehow pulling that off. Lord know it's harder than fuck to get an audience geeking in their seats about science talk they don't hardly understand. Pi was a more effective blend of that aspect and real-world conflict, although it should be noted that Primer was shot for cheaper than any major picture, by only a handful of crew, over the course of several years an costing less than a couple thousand.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Speaking of Memento, Nolan really fucked up the re-make of Insomnia. The original's pretty damn good...definitely qualifies as underrated in that few people have seen it.

I'm pretty sure Nolan is entirely overrated. Insomnia was just miserable. The only part of that movie I enjoyed was when Robin Williams asks Hillary if she's ever read his books, and the second she says "no" he KNOCKS HER RIGHT THE FUCK OUT. I was so fucking fed up with that movie by that point that that punch made me burst into hysterical laughter for the last fifteen minutes of the movie. My friends were punching me in the kidneys to try to get me to stop and I just couldn't. I had a similar experience at the end of A.I.

^^Was it the bear? Cause Teddy running around in A.I. made me lose it...

It was a couple things. One was the fact that even as a robot--constructed to any specification imaginable per the parents requests--Haley Joel still was going to cost them about 12 grand in orthadonture (sp? I don't care anymore).

The next one was just when they didn't end at the bottom of the ocean, and I was like, "Yup, Spielberg raped Kubrick's fucking corpse, I knew it." And I think I yelled a Jewish epithet.

But the thing that actually caused me to laugh uncontrollably for at least 20 minutes was when the robots (I thought they were aliens until someone told me months later those things were the future evolutions of robots) were telling him the limitations of his mom's re-animation. First of all, you have to remember what those futuristic robots looked like. Fuck, lemme find a pic... ah, finally here:

So these tall shiny futuristic things with incredibly advanced technology and GLOWING SHIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM are explaining to Haley why they can only re-animate his mother for 24 hours. That alone made me start to crack up but I covered my mouth. It was just such absurdly bad story resolution, so completely arbitrary, such HORRIBLE science fiction from a purist's standpoint 'cause we usually like our science to MAKE SOME KIND OF FUCKING SENSE.

But to push me completely over the edge, little Haley and his snaggleteeth start bawling and screaming, literally screaming and barking at the 9 foot tall glowing future robots that they're "WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG, AND YOU'RE LYING! I KNOW YOU CAN BRING HER BACK, NOW JUST BRING HER BACK! NOW!!!!"

And that was it. I fucking lost my shit. Cause all I could picture was the 9 foot tall millenium-plus more evolved robot stepping back and raising a pimp hand and yelling, "The fuck you just say to me, little bitch?! DID YOU SOMEHOW FORGET THE FACT THAT I HAVE GLOWING SHIT INSIDE ME?! YOU THINK YOU GET TO TALK SMACK TO ME WHEN I HAVE GLOWING SHIT ALL THROUGH MY FUTURISTIC ASS?! Well you done fucked up now, son."

Last edited by Mr.Nipples; 03-09-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post

Requiem is overrated and Run Lola Run is not much different. They're both style, not substance, not character, not development, not plot. Memento is only a slightly higher evolution of the same fault--far too much credit given for essentially a one-viewing contrived ploy. Requiem is everything that Trainspotting isn't, which is why it doesn't come close to Trainspotting's tie for best movie ever made. Run Lola Run is a German chich Rashomon, that's all.

Big ups to the original Manchurian Candidate. Such a shame the remake in now probably better known than the brilliant original.

Idiocracy is not underrated, it was a good idea executed poorly.

The Way Of The Gun is good at times, mostly just because it's extremely visceral. Usual Suspects is not a good comparison though--I'd go with The Professional/Natural Born Killers as a "if you liked these, you'll like this" instead (despite Stone's pissing all over a brilliant script with Killers").

Cannibal and Wet Hot got exactly the recongiition they deserve. The Wet Hot crew's excuse for witty satire is so immature and half-assed it makes ME blush and the Zucker Bros. cringe.

Pi is Aronofsky's best flick, and shares a lot of similarties with and differences with Primer. Primer is kinda intensely boring unless you like being drawn into the ultra-geeky world of practically real science fiction, and it must be applauded for somehow pulling that off. Lord know it's harder than fuck to get an audience geeking in their seats about science talk they don't hardly understand. Pi was a more effective blend of that aspect and real-world conflict, although it should be noted that Primer was shot for cheaper than any major picture, by only a handful of crew, over the course of several years an costing less than a couple thousand.
    Sorry, but that post came off as pretentious. I remember you saying the same thing about Idiocracy when I made a thread about it on the old boards. It was executed perfectly, great casting for everyone in the movie. That movie makes me laugh the entire time, almost every line is laugh out loud. Cannibal may have been immature, but wtf were you expecting from "Cannibal: The Musical" This movie was hilarious, and the songs get stuck in your head. Requiem was good, had a good story, and the acting was great too. JUICE BY SARAH! I think it ended up getting played out, and it had a LOT to do with style, but I think the style was awesome, and original. It had style, a lot, but I don't anything wrong with that and it didn't take away from the story.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I don't see why I'm pretentious just because you're easily entertained. Idiocracy was a disaster. A good idea, but a fucking trainwreck. Mike Judge said so himself. You'd have to be an idiot to find more than like 2 percent of that movie actually funny.

REQUIEM DID NOT HAVE A FUCKING STORY. I'm tired of talking about it, you people don't understand what constitutes a fucking plot, or why those characters are complete failures, and somehow none of you seem to even notice that the last half hour of the flick is only 5 minutes of actual events. It's just a big Aronofsky jerking off with his camera game of grabass. There is nothing remotely surprising that happens in the whole movie. The mother starts taking weight loss pills in the first plot point and begins a predictable slide into addiction and the horrors thereof--AND THAT'S IT. Nothing else happens for her, to her, and most importantly SHE DOESN'T MAKE ANYTHING ELSE HAPPEN. Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly needing drugs does not qualify as a conflict--not among real writers, anyway. There are no dimensions to those characters whatsoever beyond their drug addictions. It's pathetic and it's insulting.

I don't see why I'm pretentious just because you're easily entertained. Idiocracy was a disaster. A good idea, but a fucking trainwreck. Mike Judge said so himself. You'd have to be an idiot to find more than like 2 percent of that movie actually funny.

REQUIEM DID NOT HAVE A FUCKING STORY. I'm tired of talking about it, you people don't understand what constitutes a fucking plot, or why those characters are complete failures, and somehow none of you seem to even notice that the last half hour of the flick is only 5 minutes of actual events. It's just a big Aronofsky jerking off with his camera game of grabass. There is nothing remotely surprising that happens in the whole movie. The mother starts taking weight loss pills in the first plot point and begins a predictable slide into addiction and the horrors thereof--AND THAT'S IT. Nothing else happens for her, to her, and most importantly SHE DOESN'T MAKE ANYTHING ELSE HAPPEN. Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly needing drugs does not qualify as a conflict--not among real writers, anyway. There are no dimensions to those characters whatsoever beyond their drug addictions. It's pathetic and it's insulting.
    DID YOU SEE THE ASS TO ASS TO SCENE?

A+++++++ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

06/30 Jack White - L'Olympia
    07/01 Slow Magic - Le Batofar
    07/29 Boris - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/03 Shonen Knife - Red 7
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/12 The Horrors - The Parish
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Good calls on Explorers and Run Lola Run..

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

I kinda dug The Fountain.

And okay.. sorry, but Requiem is overrated if anything.
    It's still well-done, effective, etc.. I like it. I own it. Enough said.
    That movie really disturbed a lot of people.
    It succeeds in being effective.

And lastgreatman ... I'm not saying that Requiem is an example.. but don't you enjoy the ride a film takes you on? Does it all have to be about blatant plot points/character development/etc? What about enjoying what the film does to you?
    I understand structure to an extent, but it's not like film its a formula. You can structure a film, yes. But that doesn't mean it will be any good.

EDIT:
    Here's my pick:
    Last edited by clumsy342; 03-09-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWonder View Post

Pretty crazy action scenes in this one.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    And lastgreatman ... I'm not saying that Requiem is an example.. but don't you enjoy the ride a film takes you on? Does it all have to be about blatant plot points/character development/etc? What about enjoying what the film does to you?
    I understand structure to an extent, but it's not like film its a formula. You can structure a film, yes. But that doesn't mean it will be any good.
    Exactly what I wanted to say.. but I am not as good with words. That's kind of why I thought it came off as pretentious. I never said that Requiem was underrated though, I think it got a lot of recognition.

I want to see The Fountain. I heard overall, it wasn't that great. My brother came back after seeing it and he seemed disappointed, then somehow overtime, he said the more he thought about it, the more he liked it. I don't know.. I guess I have to see it for myself.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

[QUOTE=R3d Snapper;498292]

I just watched this the other night. I love this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    DID YOU SEE THE ASS TO ASS TO SCENE?

A+++++++ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
    Exactly what I wanted to say.. but I am not as good with words.
    Hahha.. that's awesome.
    But hey, you got your point across, right?

I kinda dug The Fountain.

And okay.. sorry, but Requiem is overrated if anything.
    It's still well-done, effective, etc.. I like it. I own it. Enough said.
    That movie really disturbed a lot of people.
    It succeeds in being effective.

Listen, maybe Requiem is interesting to those of you that haven't actually lived the life depicted in it. But the only motivation, the only desire, the only driving force of that entire film is drug addiction. That is it. And addiction is just a really, really shitty goal for your characters. There is no depth to it. There is no substance in it. There are a million things more interesting about drug addicts than the fact that they want drugs. Requiem never bothers to delve into their psyches (except for Mom and her wanting to be on TV, which is established within the first fifteen minutes and never goes anywhere) any further than them wanting drugs.

THAT IS PISS-POOR STORYTELLING. Wanting drugs is the absolute most superficial motivation an addict character has--a good writer establishes layers beneath and beyond that, showing an emotional and psychological subtext for the addiction. Requiem did none of that for any of the main characters. They never progressed beyond just seeking drugs and being destroyed by it. It's fucking boring, it's hack writing, and having been addicted to both the drugs in the two storylines it's just the worst kind of cinematic jerking off about a subject Aronofsky doesn't seem to grasp in the least.

I love this movie.

I only like this movie because i Absolutely fucking love the book. I feel like several of the choices in cast were dead on, some not so much. Though the movie is rather hollow in comparsion to the book, and they make it more sappy...blahhh blahh blahh

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    How is it underrated? It won awards out the ass, usually gets four stars in pretty much any retrospective analysis of it.

The funniest thing about Do The Right Thing is that the ending always seemed to me like a critique on blacks more than any other race. Just makes me think, "yeah, this is why the negros aren't getting anywhere. Burn down the pizza place. Dumb fucks."

Banned

The funniest thing about Do The Right Thing is that the ending always seemed to me like a critique on blacks more than any other race. Just makes me think, "yeah, this is why the negros aren't getting anywhere. Burn down the pizza place. Dumb fucks."
    i think that was spike lee's point...

kind of...

Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    i think that was spike lee's point...

kind of...
    Glad you said that, actually. Anyone else ever get the feeling that Spike Lee's movies are all actually really critical of black people, not pro-black at all? When Bamboozled came out I started wondering whether that was his veiled way of saying, "Hey idiots, I've been trying to show you for several movies now that I wish you'd stop acting like niggers and you're not getting it. I might as well be wearing blackface, and still you're fucking cheering for it."

An extreme wording I know, but really, that's the feeling I get. In fucking Get On The Bus they throw off the only dude who's actually right.

I actually had a discussion about Explorers with my wife the other day. I need to see this again, it's been years.

When I was a kid, we only had two movie screens in town, so this never made it to town. But I read the paperback "novelization", and I really loved it. It appealed to the young-teen sense of wonder in me. When I saw the actual movie a couple years later, I HATED it. The aliens looked and sounded so absurd. I was mad that they had turned it into a silly cartoon.

Much later, I realized that maybe that was the point...that these kids had travelled billions of miles to get away from their dreary lives, and things were even stupider when they got there. It's a movie about disappointment.

Suspiria frickin' rules, but if anything, it's overrated. I hate the ending. I remember the trailer freaking me out as a kid...the crazy drive-in by my house showed it between two Disney flicks.

Toys has both good and bad points...it probably doesn't deserve to be as hated as it is, but it ain't that great either.

"I a-scream, you a-scream, we all a-scream, for ice-a-cream!"

I also loved this movie:

Idiocracy was surprisingly funny and entertaining. I enjoyed it. It was also a bit scary--the idea that only the stupid people would reproduce and outnumber the smart people in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    Most definetly, I loved this flick

Pi is Aronofsky's best flick, .
    sorry dude, Mystery Men is a terrific flick, visually stunning and creative, very witty, solid (talk about solid!) ensemble cast, and some interesting tricks

i absolutley hated Pi when I saw it all those years ago, I was much younger so maybe I didn't "get it" but i thought it was a pretentious borefest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    It was also a bit scary--the idea that only the stupid people would reproduce and outnumber the smart people in the future.
    What do you mean "in the future"?

lastgreatman ... It sounds like you don't like Requiem because it's not about you.

How would you feel if, say, you were a native Eskimo and they made a movie about your people and they just completely focused on the absolute surface aspects of you and your collective's way of life? Do you think it would be annoying?

It should be annoying anyway, because drug addiction is just annoying to watch. The movie is nothing but annoying fucking druggie behavior--THAT'S ALL. It's fucking boring, and it's shallow, and it's just incredibly one-dimensional.

It was fun to watch in the theatre mid-day totally fucked up though!