Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The One that started it all..

Default Re: The One that started it all..

This thread never fails in making me feel old.
    I was too, but I know the brothas are gonna work it out, so I'm not worried!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

The first CD I bought was the soundtrack for Beavis and Butthead Do America. I got it mostly for White Zombie and Butthole surfers. Although I always had an appreciation for 90's and classic rock, I never realized the potential and power and creativity music could be until I heard Close to the Edge by Yes in 9nth grade, which was actually the first vinyl I ever bought. Picked it up at Just Play Music in Santa Barbara. Great shop.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Yes - Greek Theater, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    The first CD I bought was the soundtrack for Beavis and Butthead Do America. I got it mostly for White Zombie and Butthole surfers. Although I always had an appreciation for 90's and classic rock, I never realized the potential and power and creativity music could be until I heard Close to the Edge by Yes in 9nth grade, which was actually the first vinyl I ever bought. Picked it up at Just Play Music in Santa Barbara. Great shop.
    Close to the Edge is an epic album.
    It's all good, man.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Two for me:

Doors - Soft Parade
    Canned Heat - Goin' Up the Country
    +2...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

no older brother or sister to pass on the goods for me and I think the parents were listening to Kenny Rogers and Anne Murray, but like many of you I began to develop my my ear for music around the age 8 (1982-83). first cassette I can remember buying was Billy Idol's Rebel Yell. I think I also picked up a vinyl copy of the soundtrack for Return of the Jedi too... LOL. I was lucky enough to have an edgy KROQ to listen to at the time, along with KLOS and the brief Pirate Radio. Rodney on the ROQ turned me on to so many good sounds.

7th grade I think, first media I ever bought (45rpm).... cr****

"Palisades Park," "Talahassee Lassie" and "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

all by Freddy Cannon
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Far as I can remember this started it for me.

old school

A mixtape my Dad got me to make for our road trip to California, I would have been 10, particular songs were Riders on the Storm and After the Goldrush, it was north California I believe that it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    These explain a lot.
    Like what?
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    It 's awesome reading stories like your Caifanes one, especially knowing that it'll all be coming around full circle at Coachella this year.
    I gotta admit I never thought this would ever happen. I think I speak for a lot of Caifanes fans.

I listened to music and bought cds when I was elementary school (Bush -16 stone, RATM - Evil Empire, Fugees - The Score are ones that come to mind), but Ska-punk with Craven Moorehead on 106.3 the Edge on Sunday nights changed everything...thats when music really clicked for me. (EDIT: this was in 7th grade)
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 02-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Shiny Happy People when I was about 8. End of the Innocence by Don Henley at about 10 reaffirmed it. Still love that song.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    Shiny Happy People when I was about 8. End of the Innocence by Don Henley at about 10 reaffirmed it. Still love that song.
    Dude...dude. Epic post lol.
    It's all good, man.

I listened to a lot of different stuff when I was younger(approx. 8 to 12 ish).
    Mongo Santamaria, Cal Tjader, Gerry Mulligan, Tito Puente, thanks to my dad.

When I hit my teens is when I started to really get into buying my own stuff.
    - Led Zeppelin
    - Procul Harum
    - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    - Deep Purple
    - Black Sabbath

It was around this time that I discovered Queen and thus began my love affair with music. Almost all types except Country. ( I like the old stuff actually).
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

The Proclaimers - 500 Miles inspired me to buy my first album as a kid. Still cracks me up.

Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun; Gun's n Roses - Estranged; and Pearl Jam - Jeremy really got me into rock then grunge.

First concert was Collective Soul in 94' which also cracks me up.

But 2pac would have to be the artist that really made music real and an obsession for me.

Once again, this thread is awesome. Almost all of these posts bring back memories.
    It's all good, man.

With all this negative bullshit tainting these boards lately, I bump..

Let's keep those stories going, great contributions so far.

first tape: Green Day - Dookie (8 years old)

first CD: Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

3rd grade, The Thong Song... Nuff said
    "america is great, a ***** is free to make as much money as a hoe wants to work for him" Pimp

*bump

What say you?

My dad had the Let It Be album on 8 track and would play it in the basement. I loved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Feeling nostalgic after talking with my mom this afternoon. Their house was a wreck from getting robbed, so she did a deep clean and found a suitcase with a bunch of my tapes in it. She read off some of the tapes and even showed the ones with drawings of the album covers, since they were copied from friends. (Gotta love facetime).

We talked about my taking to music so young, and how these tapes came to bring me to tears today- so I'll share a story. Not one pinpoint album or song, but pivotal parts that lead to one summer night that blew my mind and changed me forever.

I was born when MTV came out. My closest sister was 7 and a music fan- so my first memories are hanging out with her on Sunday mornings watching music videos and her dressing me up as music icons. I mostly remember Madonna, David Bowie, INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Cyndi Lauper, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode as having an impact on me. My mom said that as a baby, I tried to sing along to the radio songs. There's a video my dad took of me when I was 2 years old in the kitchen trying to sing True Colors by Cyndi Lauper, she said that was the song that calmed me down when I was upset. I still love her voice and how different she looked, even from Madonna and her attitude on doing your own thing. She was punk and pop and fun. Martha Quinn was my idol for years, and partly the reason I went into music journalism.

There was always music playing at my house- Utah's number one Rush fan- my bro, world/caribbean music and pop from my dad, soft rock from my mom, oldest sister was Janet Jackson's lost back up dancer, and other sister-INXS's fan club president all lived in my house. My mom said I was different- because I liked punk. She said she remembers a time that I came running out of the bathroom after she had turned the dial- and told her to put it back and she laughed because it was noise to her, but I told her I liked the guy screaming and that I was trying to scream too. hahah

My first cassette tape I bought with my own allowance money from K-Mart when I was 5: B-52's Cosmic Thing. My mom said I wanted to play it at a friend's birthday party I was invited to. It wasn't a favorite- still not THE ONE, but I bought it because I knew it would get the party going. ha!

Didn't start collecting music till we moved into a bigger house in a nice neighborhood and I discovered yard sales and vinyl when I was 8. My first time out, I got Led Zeppelin, Dionne Warwick, Black Sabbath, Grease the Musical, The Bee Gees, and Mozart. I guess you could say I was hooked then, because they were all songs that get played, they're fun at the roller rink, in the car, and easy to sing to. I remember that summer I slept in the living room because the record player was in there, and I listened to music till way late and slept with can headphones on the floor because the cord didn't reach the couch. I forgot about that detail till my mom mentioned it today. Those albums still aren't my favorite, but it was the quality of the sounds that did it. Those are the elements that STILL do it for me. Psychy, flirty guitar, deeeeeep penetrating, droning bass, fun lyrics sung genuinely, and intelligent composition/arrangements.

That explains why I got made fun of at school for liking Queen over Weird Al, The Clash over Backstreet Boys, Luscious Jackson over the Spice Girls. I was popular with the other girls, as long as I didn't open my mouth about my differing tastes.

This was maddening to me as far as sticking to a radio station, since I liked bits of most things- but tired easily of pop if it wasn't interesting. I was always flipping and it drove me and my family crazy- until I found KRCL, a community station that one night played in a row, all the lesser known songs by PJ Harvey, Groove Armada, They Might Be Giants, Dream Theater, Stereolab, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Orbital, A Tribe Called Quest, Iggy Pop, Pavement, Nina Simone, Ramones, T.Rex, ... I mean, at that time (I'm guessing 1992,94?) bside songs didn't play on the other stations, and certainly not all on one station. These songs talked about drugs, sex, had swear words... I remember quietly scurrying to find a tape that I didn't care about and taping the radio on both sides til nothing else could fit. I don't remember which song was first, but I was so blown away by what I was listening to so late at night that it felt like a secret.(and in Small Lake Shitty, Utah, it probably was- maybe Mitch can vouch for that?)

Anyway, I listened to that tape for years, I loved how those secret songs made me feel. It was a mood brought together by different artists from all over the spectrum that magically had all the stuff I love in a radio segment of a couple of hours with barely any talk. I can't believe I forgot about that tape! Seeing the cover for it (the tape itself got worn and mended with scotch tape, and lost) totally puts together how/why I went into journalism, was a radio dj myself for a while, and why being an audiophile at a concert is so infinitely interesting- why Coachella tickles my bones and starts it all over again. Only it's not a secret anymore, and I'm ok with that.

The end.

Are your parents missionaries in Chile? I'm still confused about the Chile connection with all this Utah talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Ever since I was a toddler I was really infatuated with music but the first song that made me realize there was incredible shit out there, not just on the radio, was

As you can imagine, hearing that at 11 years old was a revelation. Liberty spikes and all in middle school

Bob Dylan also opened up a lot of doors for me. I think the first song I remember hearing from him was All I Really Want To Do on that bootleg live series.

Bright Eyes as well. My 6th grade teacher introduced me to Elliott Smith (would play Needle In The Hay for me on guitar in class), that was another big one.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

I suppose that might be confusing.
    My parents left Chile during the military coup (1974) and came to Utah as mormon converts. I, unfortunately, was born here, grew up here (left for about 8 years, and accidentally came back), and No, I am not mormon now. My parents retired and moved back to Chile- my mom splits the year between there and here for the grandkids, and my dad comes up with her for a month only, because he tends to his avocado/pomegranate farm.

- so there you go.
    Last edited by djbionik; 10-30-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: too early for grammar

For my 9th or 10th birthday (can't remember which one), my parents got me a red Sharp radio/cassette jam box (I still have it, I think it still works). They also got me REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity, Wheels Are Turnin' and Genesis' Invisible Touch on cassette. They knew I liked REO b/c they would play Hi Infidelity in the car all the time and I really liked it. REO was also the first concert I went to (thanks Mom!). I don't remember why they got me Genesis - I guess I must've shown a liking towards the songs they had on the radio (I didn't get MTV until we moved, in 1988, when I was 10). Those were the first albums I owned. I can't remember the first tape I bought with my own money, but I remember buying George Michael's Faith and Lionel Richie's Dancing On the Ceiling.

I listened to Oldies radio all the time as a teen - wasn't interested in Marky Mark or any of the rap stuff that was popular with everyone else.

I used to record radio shows - I got a microphone from a record store and would make tapes of me introducing the songs. You will probably hear these if I ever get famous (probably on a late night talk show).

First CD I bought was Bon Jovi's Keep the Faith. That CD is now probably lying in a used bin somewhere.
    First CD with an explicit lyrics tag I bought was Cypress Hill's Black Sunday. That one I still have.

In high school I listened to U2, R.E.M., Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Liz Phair, Soundgarden, Nirvana (weirdly, I didn't get into them until after Kurt died). Mostly I listened to stuff that MTV told me to like. And I stupidly ignored 120 Minutes. That goes for college too.

First big music fest I traveled to was the Austin City Limits Fest in 2007, they had the best lineup of bands I wanted to see - The White Stripes! Arcade Fire! LCD Soundsystem! M.I.A!, etc (yes, it fucking sucked that the Stripes cancelled).

Today I'm more curious about music than ever - looking around for stuff I think I might like.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    7th grade I think, first media I ever bought (45rpm).... cr****

"Palisades Park," "Talahassee Lassie" and "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

all by Freddy Cannon
    That song rules.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

My little gang and I would sit in a circle at a recess (indoors during a brutally cold Northern Michigan winter) and listen to a 45 of "I Never Cry" by Alice Cooper. On the flip side was "Go to Hell." We could hear each song twice in the 15-minute break. Our 3rd grade teacher was scared to death of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

I feel i got lucky with the music my parents listened to, as well as my cousins and baby sitters being big into music. My Family came from Glasgow, Scotland so the music scene there is just huge. My dad flooded me with the British invasion music and the other synth msic from the 80's. My cousins were all into the alternative and punk scene while my babysitters had me into the American Metal and Grunge. My first CD was Metallica - the Black Album at age 6... Ya, kinda awesome for that age.

I bought my first cd in the 5th grade. It was the motion picture sound track for mortal kombat. I still remember my dad barging into my room "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!!" ahh memories.... the first album I picked up was smashing pumpkins: mellon collie and the infinite sadness. It is still my favorite album to this day.
    09,10,12w1,13w1