Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The One that started it all..

Default Re: The One that started it all..

first album I ever bought was Green Day's Nimrod, which I still really like.

Second album I bought, and still one of my favorites. easily the one I would say "started it all"

and I gotta give Dre a nod, listening to the same cd at least once a month since middle school

Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

My love for music started with a strange combination of Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Jazz, Opera and Gospel Music.

My dad used to sing opera, so he was always rehearsing and singing around the house. My step-mom when I was like.... 4, used to play Aerosmith ALL the time. And According to my dad, Michael Jackson's recorded live concerts used to babysit me.

And through all that, my mom was a Gospel choir director with a deep seated love for Luther Vandross.

I guess you could say I just growing up surrounded by such different styles of music shaped me.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Wow too many to name! I would have to say sgt. peppers,cars by gary numan,candy o by the cars,pop muzik by m,peg by steely dan,silly love songs by paul mcCartney oh and this little number right here!

I grew up hearing my parents' music, as well as that of my older brother and sisters, but the definitive moment came when I was 10 years old I drove with my dad from California to AZ, during which time he introduced me to Cream. Disraeli Gears. That was it for me.

But the first cd I bought was Offspring Smash when I was 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    My love for music started with a strange combination of Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Jazz, Opera and Gospel Music.

My dad used to sing opera, so he was always rehearsing and singing around the house. My step-mom when I was like.... 4, used to play Aerosmith ALL the time. And According to my dad, Michael Jackson's recorded live concerts used to babysit me.

And through all that, my mom was a Gospel choir director with a deep seated love for Luther Vandross.

I guess you could say I just growing up surrounded by such different styles of music shaped me.
    That's pretty awesome to have such diversity at that young age.

My dad was the ultimate James Brown fan, and was entranced by the whole Doo-Wop sound from the 50's and 60's.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

First music owned:

Early 90s dance jams (Hammer, C&C, V-Ice), and I remember having a cassette single of that Collective Soul song "Shine." This was around 5th and 6th grade.

First record I purchased for myself:

Soundgarden - Superunknown

First concert:

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

First voluntary concert:

Alanis Morrisette (1996)
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

My first CD was 4 by Blues Traveler. My first tape was a Gloria Estefan one. My first concert was either Jimmy Buffett or Peter Parul and Mary. Dookie probably made me fall in love with music.
    I'm going to put your sidekick in my mojito.

Nice thread....

On one hand I had a much older brother into breakdancing and hip hop so at six, he was 12, we would walk up and down the street with a ghetto blaster (that he let me hold so if my hearing ever goes, I'll blame him) bumping Eric B. and Rakim.

On the other hand, at home my Pops was really into classic rock, The Eagles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, The Beatles, and Stones. Him and his friends would get together on Fridays, drink beer, and make their own mixes on Reel to reels. I loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

My 1st tape I ever owned, bought by my older brother of course, was Scarface (of the Geto Boys) 1st album, Mr. Scarface is back. I remember my Dad being upset but understanding. All three of us sat in the living room and listened to that tape. My Dad just sat there not saying anything. I was 10 years old at the time and boy.....the things I heard that day.....Actually weren't that new because three years earlier my brother got the Too Short Life is Too Short tape. I wasn't supposed to listen to it but one night I found it laying around. I hid in my room with the lights off for a week straight listening to it. One night I got busted and the tape was thrown away. I just remember the line...where he talks about going to the white house and Reagan's wife giving him a blow job and sucking it like it was corn on the cob.

I didn't even know what that was but the way he spit that line had me hooked.
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

The first album that I ever wore out: According to my father, it was "Frampton Comes Alive" but I don't see how that is humanly possible. My first favorite albums that I remember listening to repeatedly are "Morrison Hotel" and "Breakfast In America".

The first tape I bought with my own money: "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" by Duran Duran
    First CD bought with my own money: "Substance" (New Order)...damn thing cost me $28.99 + tax, ha ha

The first CD's I gave to my children out of my own collection were: "Tommy" (to my older daughter) and "Mania" (Ramones) to my younger daughter. My younger one could not get enough of "Beat On The Brat" so I gave it up so she would take it in her room and listen to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Don't trust anyone that tries to make you listen to the Beach Boys.

Metallica- The black album - Enter sandman

That song was my first song i heard from them and i was scared of them because of the video i was like 5..but i loved the song...ever since i heard that song i would borrow my brothers CD and listen that song Only...
    "I wonder how many people in this city live in furnished rooms. Late at night when i look out at the buildings I swear I see a face in every window looking back at me and when I turn away I wonder how many go back to their desks and write this down...."
    -Leonard Cohen

my mother got me started on the beatles

1984 1st cassette was madonna's self titled.. borderline/luckycharm/ holiday

what put me into the addiction music became was hearing the doors in the movie the lost boys. i'm sure i heard it before but it hadn't quite clicked yet. jim morrison was my first musical love

other day i was thinking about when i was a kid and i would cringe everytime i heard the alarms going off in floyd's time. still think its the worlds most irritating intro
    Last edited by karecares; 02-04-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by pdhow View Post
    Nice thread....

On one hand I had a much older brother into breakdancing and hip hop so at six, he was 12, we would walk up and down the street with a ghetto blaster (that he let me hold so if my hearing ever goes, I'll blame him) bumping Eric B. and Rakim.

On the other hand, at home my Pops was really into classic rock, The Eagles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, The Beatles, and Stones. Him and his friends would get together on Fridays, drink beer, and make their own mixes on Reel to reels. I loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

My 1st tape I ever owned, bought by my older brother of course, was Scarface (of the Geto Boys) 1st album, Mr. Scarface is back. I remember my Dad being upset but understanding. All three of us sat in the living room and listened to that tape. My Dad just sat there not saying anything. I was 10 years old at the time and boy.....the things I heard that day.....Actually weren't that new because three years earlier my brother got the Too Short Life is Too Short tape. I wasn't supposed to listen to it but one night I found it laying around. I hid in my room with the lights off for a week straight listening to it. One night I got busted and the tape was thrown away. I just remember the line...where he talks about going to the white house and Reagan's wife giving him a blow job and sucking it like it was corn on the cob.

I didn't even know what that was but the way he spit that line had me hooked
    That's fucking hilarious.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

My cherry breaker was Janis Joplin.

Nirvana - Nevermind
    ahhh the memories

My mom raised me on Zeppelin, Rush and Grunge as a kid, but it wasn't until I bought my first CD that my music infatuation began. I was 10 years old and it was the Beatles "1" that changed my life and my perception of a good song forever.

SOAD's self titled album was the first album I owned in like 6th grade.
    Moby
    Korn

god.... korn.....

Time to contribute, Lurkers..

I'd like to know where your twisted lil' music taste came from so I can make fun of you in future conversations.

Cheers!

layla - clapton. the acoustic version caught my ear when i was like 9-10 and i've been in love with music ever since.

the first electronic song that made me go woah what is this was weapon of choice - fatboy slim
    the music is what its all about, you love it just like i love it.

Well my memories go far back to when my dad would play 60's rock n' roll on vinyl records. It was all in spanish and hell it felt good.I was about 4-5 years old. Then I got older about 11 years old and my mom became a christian and I was not allowed to listen to secular music. I would sneak tapes into my room and listen to Caifanes. They would just make me feel sooo good inside.That is why their reunion at Coachella is going to make history in My Life.Then in 2001 I started loving The Strokes because it went back to reminding me to the good rock my dad would play when I was little. Oh yeah , There is a song by the band La Union called "Lobo Hombre en Paris" that I can listen to over and over. The song is from 1982, the year I was born.
    Last edited by superkindskunk; 02-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.

It 's awesome reading stories like your Caifanes one, especially knowing that it'll all be coming around full circle at Coachella this year.

I remember when I was in like 3rd grade (would have been like 1990ish) and I had a Sony Walkman (the kind that played tapes.) I remember being totally obsessed with these two albums:

and of course...

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

I can remember, when I was about 6-7 years old, Violator by Depeche Mode was always on in my house so anything off that album really and that comes from my mom. On my dad's side, I'd have to say Led Zeppelin I, II, III & IV albums, it was never just one particular song.

This thread never fails in making me feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    I remember when I was in like 3rd grade (would have been like 1990ish) and I had a Sony Walkman (the kind that played tapes.) I remember being totally obsessed with these two albums:

and of course...

These explain a lot.

I remember it was around my eleventh birthday and I was in fifth grade. As cliche as it may sound compared to the music tastes of a lot of people, it was Daft Punk - One More Time for me. I saw the music video and it just put me in a trance. Spent the next few days watching MTV religiously until they showed it again and I could record it. It was the first ever song I did karaoke to (pretty weak song, but it was fifth grade). But that got it started for me. Shortly after I found Dr. Dre.

The first album I ever felt I needed to buy was Funeral. I walked into the record store specifically for that one CD but walked out with Bob Dylan: The Essentials Vol 1&2 and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness also. Not a bad way to start off
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    What is lulz?? Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    The 28th is the middle of March?? Holy CRAP its 56 days long!??!?! June just got OWN'D!

Quote Originally Posted by superkindskunk View Post
    Well my memories go far back to when my dad would play 60's rock n' roll on vinyl records. It was all in spanish and hell it felt good.I was about 4-5 years old. Then I got older about 11 years old and my mom became a christian and I was not allowed to listen to secular music. I would sneak tapes into my room and listen to Caifanes. They would just make me feel sooo good inside.That is why their union at Coachella is going to make history in My Life.Then in 2001 I started loving The Strokes because it went back to reminding me to the good rock my dad would play when I was little. Oh yeah , There is a song by the band La Union called "Hombre Lobo en Paris" that I can listen to over and over. The song is from 1982, the year I was born.
    Great fucking jam, hadn't heard this one in years!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

Neil Young - Harvest Moon. Probably 1992-1994, 6-7 years old. My mom is probably the biggest Neil Young fan I've ever known. Whenever we rode in the car she would have some kind of Neil on, and that was the album that really struck me. Still one of my favorite albums.

Another one was Don Henley's End of the Innocence. I don't know why, but when I was a kid I loved it. Springsteen is probably another one of the firsts I enjoyed.

My dad is a die hard Jerry Garcia and Grateful Dead fan, but I never really got into them that much until a few years ago. But I think hearing them all the time when I was younger influenced what I listen to now.

Loved Otis Redding and Clarence Carter, too.

This thread is awesome.
    Last edited by doubleUteeF; 02-04-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    It's all good, man.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    Great fucking jam, hadn't heard this one in years!

This song just hits the right spot.

mtv in the mid-90's: west coast hip-hop, the east-west beef, britpop, the emergence of cool-ass alternative rock

i was just five years old and i was consuming all of this lol
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall