Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The One that started it all..

Default Re: The One that started it all..

I had a diverse exposure...

It started with my 6th birthday...I wanted a fischer price plastic record player like the one he describes in the first post and what I got was a syc stereo, with turntable, am/fm and yes I must say the heavenly 8 trak!!!

One aunt influenced me with her 8 tracks of funk and oldies.
    Another aunt influenced me with disco
    My mom influenced me with the classic Edie Gorme singing beuatiful love songs in spanish...this is a generational thing cuz her mom listened to the same music when she was growing up!!!
    and my dad influenced me with with his progressive jaz...he influenced me the most musicly and where I get my appreciation for the live gig!!!

That Talib joint still owns all, Trick.

Also, this one got to me too when I was a kid. God bless hip uncles:

mob, you brought me back with that TJ & the Shondells. Excellent nostalgia.

I always loved music, when I was a toddler I always carried around beige a Fisher-Price cassette player with most often a song called "Carrot Stew" playing (I still know all the words.) Growing up I mostly listened to the same stuff my dad did, Queen, Aerosmith, Elton John, J.Geils, and the like. The first album (cassette) I ever bought myself was Poison "Flesh & Blood." Then in middle school when it seemed to me that Aerosmith and Jackyl were the height of musical creativity I recieved a Columbia House record club dealie. Quickly picked out all the classic rock albums I recognized for my 12 free cd's, but had one left over. I chose Frank Zappa "Strictly Commercial" based soley on his name being mentioned in "Smoke On The Water." It took about a year for me to give it any real listening time, but I proceeded then to sell back almost every cd I had to buy the rest of his catalog. Zappa was really the impetus for my serious love of music, and proved an effective gateway into jazz & classical as well.
    "Yes, I am indeed beautiful! Sometimes I sit and wonder, in my artless Japanese way, why it is that I am so much more attractive than anybody else in the whole world. Can this be vanity? No! Nature is lovely and rejoices in her loveliness. I am a child of Nature, and take after my mother."

I was six in 1986, and this video blew my mind.

Pearl Jam - Vs. was the first album that really got me into music in general. I had albums from other artists, but this is the one CD that showed me music was going to be an important aspect of my life.
    For your health

first album I bought was Nimrod by Green Day, still my favorite Green Day album by far.

But the first true work of art I bought that I just loved was my second album, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Been digging down the rabbit hole ever since.

I credit Carl Cox at my first Coachella, 2006 with getting me into Dj/electronic music. Didn't listen to it all, knew almost nothing about it, stumbled into the Saharah tent. Such good memories. I had never seen a party quite like that
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

actually I lie. I was listening to Daft Punk before my First Coachella, who my friends thought were lame. Then I dragged em to the show and that was the end of that
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I wasn't even born yet.
    I know you're kidding but,

The smashing pumpkins title...
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

First recollection of music on tv/radio : Madness I think or Shakin' Stevens (lol)
    First album : Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Still have it somewhere on cassette.
    First concert : INXS, December 17, 1990. *Mindblowing*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by samiksha View Post
    me too. although i think i was in 9th grade. did that album come out later in the year? and then White Blood Cells to really seal the deal. i think White Blood Cells came out first, but I discovered it 2nd.
    That's exactly what happened with me. All the "The" bands contributed, but The Strokes especially. I remember buying Highly Evolved the day it came out at Target with my mom. I think Is This It came out in October of 2001, because it was supposed to have "New York City Cops" on it (in the place of "When It Started") and they switched them post 9/11.

Backstreet Boys - Backstreets Back

I am not even joking. This is the song that got me interested in music. Not the Clash, not The White Stripes, not Pink Floyd and not the Strokes. he Backstreet Boys in grade 4. Then, up until about grade 7 I listed to pop and top 40 music. Then when I was in grade 7, and new radiostation came around, and I was intruiged. It was a modern rock alternative station. My parents didn't let me listen to it... so naturally, I became curious.
    Just before this as well my cousins introduced me to a band called "Rage Against The Machine" and burnt me a copy Battle In Los Angeles. I was almost scared of the intensity in that album, because at the time I was 11 and I had never heard anything like that before. To top it off, my grade 6 teacher told us Rage Against The Machine were an evil band and we should never listen to them because they are against God and against democracy. He then showed us a picture of them burning the American flag upside down with 666 written across it.
    Soon after I started listening to the rock, I stopped listening to pop. I forget exactly what bands I first got into, but 3 songs hooked me right away. Crystal Method's "Name of The Game" and Papa Roach's "Last Resort" Papa Roach ended up being my first concert by the way. But most of all, Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood." That song grabbed me like the plauge. The Gorillaz self titled turned out to be the very first album I ever bought with my own money.
    So, if I had to credit what got me into music, I would have to give it to three artists...
    Backstreet Boys - Backstreets Back
    Rage Against The Machine - Battles of Los Angeles (album)
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

For the record, Is This It came out September 25, 2001. I just bought it in October I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    That's exactly what happened with me. All the "The" bands contributed, but The Strokes especially. I remember buying Highly Evolved the day it came out at Target with my mom.
    yes, that too. i really can't stand that album now though. and i remember getting Veni Vidi Vicious and making my dad play it in the car and being like "man, i can't wait til i'm 16 and can drive around and blast this on my own stereo!"

It's too hard to name one. It was my Dad's record collection though. Here is a sampling:

The first tape I had was the Ghostbusters soundtrack when I was 5, then I got into Queen and Aerosmith at about 7 or 8. The first cd I owned was the Soundtrack to Dangerous Minds. I got it for christmas in grade 7, and pretty much only listened to gangstas paradise. The cd that really got me hooked on music was Nirvana Unplugged in New York.
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJesus28 View Post
    Paul Tollett do something!
    Daddy P! Help

Like others, besides mom and dads country music, I would think it was blind lemon Jefferson ..x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

beatles - love me do
    circa 1986, i was 5

i must have heard it 100 times in one day...
    = p

I was always attracted to music, but the album that made me feel I had to search it out and immerse myself in it...I remember putting the tape in the player putting my headphones on and hearing, "We're Only Gonna Die" by Bad Religion off the album 80-85. Nothing musically challenging in it just raw late 1979/early 1980 punk song that grabbed me...unfortunately the band just sank into a sorry state and I cant even look at the groups name with out a little laugh or cry at the state they are in now. I'll always have 80-85 though! From that moment on my music journey began and took me down a lot of musical roads both forward looking and backwards at older releases of most every genre from every decade.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    Two things.

One was seeing this video at like 12 and having it blow my mind:

Refliection Eternal is still my favorite Talib Kweli album.. What really truned me away from a lot of mainstream gangsta rap, (old school N.W.A, Ice Cube, Bone), was Common Sense "Can I Borrow A Dollar". Also Del's 1st album "I Wish My Brother George Was Here". After that I got hooked on the Beatnuts and Nas.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post

I credit Carl Cox at my first Coachella, 2006 with getting me into Dj/electronic music. Didn't listen to it all, knew almost nothing about it, stumbled into the Saharah tent. Such good memories. I had never seen a party quite like that
    For me, Fatboy Slim's "Better Living through Chemistry". Totally changed my perception, I started backtracking to catch up. Then came The Prodigy,Chemical Brothers, Orbital etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Grease OST, age fourish (to age twentyish?)
    I have two older sisters, I can still hear those songs in my sleep..

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Reflection Eternal is a great album,
    For me it was 2 albums & a song...

Tribe called quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
    Moby- Everything is wrong
    RHCP - Under the bridge
    "are you being facetious?"
    "Facetious! That's my baby's name!"

Bryan Adams when I was 7 or 8, I used to sing my butt off to his stuff.

pop - Beatles' "Abbey Road"
    classical - Bach's "St. John's Passion"
    contemporary experimental/classical/avant garde - Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima"

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

For some reason, when I was eight or nine, my parents bought me a cassette of Hall & Oates' greatest hits – Rock and Soul Pt. 1. I wore that tape out, listening to it every night. I was too young to know that it sucked.

In the early- to mid-80's, I was a child of MTV, back when MTV still played music. "Uptown Girl" led me to Billy Joel, "Who Can it Be Now?" led me to Men at Work, "Girls on Film" led me to Duran Duran. I wasn't very discerning.

The first band I was ever fanatic about was U2. The Joshua Tree came out when I was in 8th grade, and it was unlike anything else on the radio. I still love them, and couldn't care less how bloated and egotistical they get.

So U2 set the stage for 10th and 11th grade (1988-89), when the following albums, among others, were released:

R.E.M. – Green
    The Cure – Disintegration
    The Replacements – Don't Tell a Soul
    Elvis Costello – Spike
    Red Hot Chili Peppers – Mother's Milk
    Pixies – Doolittle
    The Pogues – Peace and Love
    Morrissey – Viva Hate
    Pere Ubu – Cloudland
    The Wedding Present – Bizarro
    New Order – Technique
    The Stone Roses – S/T

And those are just a few that set me on the path I'm still on, almost twenty years later. Anyone who tries to claim the 80's were a lousy decade for music should be summarily executed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Any decade featuring Husker Du, The Replacements, REM, The Stone Roses and such is fine by me.

Banned

as a child these songs brought tears to my eyes...

not sure why, but ever since then i realized that i could easy feel what the artists wanted me to feel... (i love youtube)

1991, Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" cassette single (still have it). I was 7.

Oh yeah, my first concert was Puddle of Mudd, 2003. Jah...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

The year was 1994 and I was blessed with the following...

Gangstarr - Hard to Earn

Nas - Illmatic

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

Outkast - Southerplayalisticadillacmuzik
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.