Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TREASURE ISLAND MUSIC FESTIVAL BACK FOR 2008!

Default Re: TREASURE ISLAND MUSIC FESTIVAL BACK FOR 2008!

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    TI festival does not compare to what Outside Lands should end up being - TI was very constrained on space, and I could see that continuing as a mostly locals festival, with Outside Lands being a destination for out-of-towners.

Keep in mind TI had less than a dozen bands per day, and only one stage active at a time.
    That's pretty much my point, I'll be checking out both.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I don't know how they expect to fill two festivals in two months in the same city. not that I'm complaining -- if both have strong lineups I'll be over the moon -- but it seems like a lot of people might miss one for the other, those who cannot afford both. it would make more sense to spread them out a little more.
    I'm surprised they're doing both in such a short time period too. I have a feeling the Outside Lands lineup might be a little more Street Sceneish to draw a bigger crowd, and the Treasure Island lineup will be similar to what it was last year.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keriann View Post
    I'm surprised they're doing both in such a short time period too. I have a feeling the Outside Lands lineup might be a little more Street Sceneish to draw a bigger crowd, and the Treasure Island lineup will be similar to what it was last year.
    I think though with Outside Lands preceding it, Treasure Island might have a harder time drawing people in. Treasure Island was a special event last year, because it was the only indie-ish festival in the city. Now there are two, Treasure Island is not such a novelty any more. Some people (like us) will be stoked about two festivals and will be happy to attend both, but others will save their money for just one of the two. It seems to me like they might be shooting Treasure Island in the foot. Which would be sad. Still, here's hoping that doesn't happen.

The reason they are probably doing both is because Treasure Island is the baby of APE..

Really, I bet the other festival will probably mostly be Superfly Productions doing all the work. They probably did a partnership with APE so they would have a foot in the door in the city..

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    cuz the view of the SF skyline from Treasure Island is so unblievably in yo face!!!

The statue is so in yo face and TI Fest happened first...
    oh...okay...now it makes sense.........................

Quote Originally Posted by keriann View Post
    It's also around the time of Burning Man. SFers gon' be tired of music after that month's over.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

TI is more specialized. As you know, the dedicate a day for rock and a day for electronic. I think as long as they don't repeat any bands from Outside Lands, I think they should get a pretty good attendance again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by noisemachine View Post
    TI is more specialized. As you know, the dedicate a day for rock and a day for electronic.
    I think we should allow at least two years before we establish patterns on what their format is exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    I think we should allow at least two years before we establish patterns on what their format is exactly.
    haha, yeah. I'd hardly say that was the format last year anyway. there were plenty of non-electronic acts day 1 -- gotan project, dj shadow/cut chemist (since they were djing nothing but 7"), kinky, that indie group I don't remember the name of.

This will job your memory:

Ok, but overall, Day 1 was a lot more electronically (or DJ) based than Day 2. I'm sure that wasn't just an accident. Or maybe I should say Dance-oriented. Even the groups shakermaker mentioned have some very electronic/dance elements.
    Last edited by noisemachine; 02-27-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noisemachine View Post
    Ok, but overall, Day 1 was a lot more electronically (or DJ) based than Day 2. I'm sure that wasn't just an accident. Or maybe I should say Dance-oriented. Even the groups shakermaker mentioned have some very electronic/dance elements.
    ah... true. I'll bow out of this one. let's see what they do with it this year.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what they do as well. I'm really excited about seeing both of the SF festival lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by RooTeefy View Post
    Maybe Radiohead will headline.
    errr nope.

when is that festival at golden gate park supposed to take place. does that fit radioheads time frame. there are to many festivals to keep track.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

Quote Originally Posted by mvanwinkle View Post
    errr nope.

when is that festival at golden gate park supposed to take place. does that fit radioheads time frame. there are to many festivals to keep track.
    Its Aug. 22-24. We're talking about it here: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16115
    Its looking very likely that Radiohead will headline along with Tom Petty and Jack Johnson.

thanks ya i read that after i posted this and figured id get hammered for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year