Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This actually hurts my brain a little bit.

Default Re: This actually hurts my brain a little bit.

Let me put it another way.

I can guarantee yuo that Rene Descartes was smarter than any of us here by a factor of about 2. Hell he's probably smarter than all of us here put together. This is why people still read Descartes 400 years after the fact.

People will not be reading Blinken 40 minutes from now, let alone 400 years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post

I can guarantee yuo that Rene Descartes was smarter than any of us here by a factor of about 2. Hell he's probably smarter than all of us here put together. This is why people still read Descartes 400 years after the fact.

People will not be reading Blinken 40 minutes from now, let alone 400 years from now.
    agree

Wink Re: This actually hurts my brain a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    Descartes used circular reasoning to prove god exists. fuck descartes.
    correction my dear Blinken, Descartes changes the way in which he reasons to "prove" the existence of God, but I will refrain from going into the God debate with you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"

well then certainly you already know, and I don't have to tell you, that the whole notion of an omnipotent god traces to Aristotle. christians didn't pick it up til later through Augustine. God's omnipotence is not central to, nor really necessary for, the core tenents of christian theology.
    You're saying that in Christianity Jehovah isn't omnipotent? I mean, I don't know that much about Christianity, but I'll be goddamned if their God isn't omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient (THAT'S the word I was looking for and accidentally said ubiqutous instead).

Aristotle invented the idea of the omnipotent God? Um... I don't recall that whatsoever. Care to find me a source? I know the Western monotheisms did adopt a lot of Aristotlean ethics in their belief structure, but I don't recall Aristotle musing on the nature of God.

Regardless, I wasn't saying that Descartes invented the notion. That would be counter-productive to his argument--that God was these otherworldly qualities were givens in his world. They were just the basis for his argument, but something he was claiming to invent. I know Augustine is responsible for reconciling the Omnipotence Paradox (sort of--I can't believe philosophers dealt with that fucked up notion of God for so long), but I don't recall any connection to Aristotle.

And isn't God omnipotent in the Torah? More or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    I get what your saying, and Descartes is saying. It was the christian aspects of his writing that really got under my skin the same goes for Kierkegaard, they seemed to me to try stuff Christian ideas into their works. Like they couldn't detach from the Christian belief structure to begin with.
    Yes, I agree about that. It was very sad how that particular Meditation degenerated from brilliant and airtight logical proof of the single hardest question in all of philosophy and then IMMEDIATELY dove into half-assed Christian bullshit. Tainted the whole thing for me, but I still always remembered that proof.

there should be some internet law. in fact I'm gonna make it up now, call it Tom's Corollary to Godwin's Law: "In any internet message board discussion, the degree of pseudo-intellectual bullshit is directly proportional to the probability that someone will claim to refute a famous philosopher."
    Why? Refuting famous philosophers is easy. The only pieces of philosophy I couldn't disprove were that God proof, cogito ergo sum/solipsism, and pretty much everything Hume wrote because all Hume ever did was point out flaws in other philosophers' works, never proposed anything of his own that could be criticized.

Philosophy is all bullshit. None of it holds up. But it teaches you how to think better and if you read enough of it you get to see a lot of ideas about how reality works that are all wrong, and thus resolve a lot of potential questions by learning from their dumbshittery.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I'm smarter. People will still be reading rue 4,000 years from now.
    "We're on a mission from God"

----Elwood Blues

thestripe

Truth

I thought Betelgeuse was just a fictional planet created by Douglas Adams...who knew?

*shrugs*
    "It's all happening..."
    Coachella BEARDwatch '08, '11

Is that Wilford Brimley?

----Elwood Blues

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/69ujLvxLi0M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69ujLvxLi0M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

----Elwood Blues

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You're saying that in Christianity Jehovah isn't omnipotent? I mean, I don't know that much about Christianity, but I'll be goddamned if their God isn't omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient (THAT'S the word I was looking for and accidentally said ubiqutous instead).

Aristotle invented the idea of the omnipotent God? Um... I don't recall that whatsoever. Care to find me a source? I know the Western monotheisms did adopt a lot of Aristotlean ethics in their belief structure, but I don't recall Aristotle musing on the nature of God.

Regardless, I wasn't saying that Descartes invented the notion. That would be counter-productive to his argument--that God was these otherworldly qualities were givens in his world. They were just the basis for his argument, but something he was claiming to invent. I know Augustine is responsible for reconciling the Omnipotence Paradox (sort of--I can't believe philosophers dealt with that fucked up notion of God for so long), but I don't recall any connection to Aristotle.

And isn't God omnipotent in the Torah? More or less?

Aristotle: all things tend toward the divine; the "perfect and immutable" God is the apex of being; etc. http://www.iep.utm.edu/g/god-west.htm#SH2a

Omnipotence in Christianity: without a doubt most mainstream Christians would hold that God is omnipotent. They say this because they were taught this and believe it is key to their faith. They're wrong, it came in from Augustine, and could be just as easily disposed of, and there are plenty of dissenters. process theology. open theism

Now Randy here's a trick question for you. Can God create a rock so big that even he can't move it?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I'm smarter. People will still be reading rue 4,000 years from now.
    yes. Proof: you stayed out of this conversation.

Young blood

yes. Proof: you stayed out of this conversation.
    Actually if you look back a couple of pages I got involved. It was more just to dispute people who don't understand the concept of the ancient calendar.

----Elwood Blues

Disabusing people of their ignorance is a noble calling, rue.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    That's stupid. You made a terrible post and you should feel bad about yourself.

----Elwood Blues

Now Randy here's a trick question for you. Can God create a rock so big that even he can't move it?
    Isn't that essentially the omnipotent paradox?
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Isn't that essentially the omnipotent paradox?
    Yeah. I wasn't kidding when I said I studied philosophy, Tom--I'm familiar with Augustine's solution.

Young blood

That's stupid. You made a terrible post and you should feel bad about yourself.
    Coming from the guy that quotes family guy.

Thanks for the compliment. Rapist.

Actually if you look back a couple of pages I got involved. It was more just to dispute people who don't understand the concept of the ancient calendar.
    I don't think that the inaccuracy of calendars is really relevant when the argument they make is that the Earth is 6000 years old.

And as far as MY answer to your question, Tom--it does not apply in my concept of God. The role of the creator is probably the other main defining aspect of the Christian god, and the one where my beliefs diverge immediately. My god is also not a separate entity. It doesn't have an anime. The question stops applying in half a dozen ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Coming from the guy that quotes family guy.

Thanks for the compliment. Rapist.
    That clip of Wilford Brimley is fucking hilarious.

And don't steal my insults.

----Elwood Blues

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I don't think that the inaccuracy of calendars is really relevant when the argument they make is that the Earth is 6000 years old.
    I was simply pointing out ignorance.

----Elwood Blues

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." (Albert Einstein)

All this talk about Christians and faith and how it is misguided really irritates me. One, Socrates was the original monotheist, not Aristotle; it was one of the charges for which he was put to death. Two, if you want to say that there is no God, I need proof, because science is not in the business of proving how things happen, it's in the business of proving how things don't and then deducing what would be the "logical" outcome. Three, Chaos theory is equally as much of a fairytale as the Bible, and leaves everything up to chance because we still cannot find a rational explanation for our existence. Four, to believe that we are the highest form of life anywhere in the universe is narcissistic and ridiculous. I will admit that I do not know a lot about a lot of things, but I at least know that what we create and what we rationalize at this point will be moot in the future and the conversations on God will change. Religion evolves, faiths evolve, science evolves and none of them can give concrete proof or disproof for our existence. If you want to call our existence chance, fine, but do not knock down those who have faith without proof. If you want to shake my faith, tell me what existed before the Big Bang.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"

thestripe

If you want to shake my faith, tell me what existed before the Big Bang.

Apparently God, or nothing, you choose.

Nothing existed before the big bang. Time nor space has a beginning or end.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Will somebody please come with me to another thread and talk about something else?
    I'll go with you sweet heart

----Elwood Blues

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Will somebody please come with me to another thread and talk about something else?
    I'm down. What thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

man invented time