Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain Spank Rock to me?

Default Can someone explain Spank Rock to me?

Aside from better beats, I can't tell them apart from 2 Live Crew.

What's the deal? I know I'm missing a point somewhere.

EDIT: Backyard Betty isn't bad, but still...
    Last edited by M Sparks; 02-21-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Default Re: Can someone explain Spank Rock to me?

Seconded.

I tried to get into these guys last year, and not only couldn't but genuinely didn't like them. Then when I found out they conflicted with RATM, I stopped listening. What am I also missing?

spank rock is this guy naeem juwan. he dj's as well as raps. i like him as a dj a little more so, his fabriclive album is really good.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

They were about four and a half parties last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by sadsappysucker View Post
    spank rock is this guy naeem juwan. he dj's as well as raps. i like him as a dj a little more so, his fabriclive album is really good.
    naeem had little or nothing to do with the spank rock mix besides dropping a couple verses.

So that's a "no".

Quote Originally Posted by sadsappysucker View Post
    not quite, although it's really confusing so I don't blame you. Spank Rock is Naeem's MC name, and it's also the name of the 'group'. He doesn't DJ, that album was done by XXXChange who produced the first Spank Rock album, and the Spank Rock DJs (Devlin and Darko, AKA Baltimore Bass Connection) helped I assume.

Check out the first Spank Rock album, XXXChange is a great producer. It's not like a mindblowing album but it's some of the most fun party rap to come out in a while. They're also supposed to be amazing live. I'll be at their set.

trick basically nails it,

look for clips from their coachella visit last year, they basically invited the entire crowd onto stage for them for their last song, "lindsay lohan" and everyone was coked out & dancing crazy like...

the winning lyrics to lindsay lohan are "put yo panties on, put that pussy away"

disgusting/hilarious video to be found here:

http://www.spankrock.net/babt.mov

lulz
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Trick... were you not at their set last year?
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Let me rephrase...

Why does no one think it's odd for them to be at Coachella (2 years in a row), but if 2 Live Crew were on the bill, there would be a tremendous outcry?

I mean, I managed to get through several songs, so as far as what they do, they do a good job. I just don't see how they fit considering everyone is always bitching about every other band.

semantics aside, indie rap works at an indie festival?

2live crew are definitely not indie...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

I do get what you're saying, I mean the Cool Kids rap almost exclusively about being fly and having things but for some reason they're indie-approved and playing Coachella, even though their live show looks pretty boring and they only have 10 tracks to their name so far. Same with Spankrock, it's just party rap and while the production is really good it's not really any different from a lot of shit that would never get a chance on people's iPods next to the Smiths or at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Trick... were you not at their set last year?
    Naw, I saw Rage on some "once in a lifetime" shit. I regret it, mostly because I heard Spankrock killed it and I thought Rage's set was really boring (although they KILLED IT at Rock the Bells).

Ohh, I wasn't sure if you liked Rage or not. I just assumed you went to Spank Rock.

My bet is they brought Spank Rock back this year because a lot of people were pissed they conflicted with Rage. I also think they brought Gogol back this year because A LOT of people were hella pissed they conflicted with Bjork.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Let me rephrase...

Why does no one think it's odd for them to be at Coachella (2 years in a row), but if 2 Live Crew were on the bill, there would be a tremendous outcry?

I mean, I managed to get through several songs, so as far as what they do, they do a good job. I just don't see how they fit considering everyone is always bitching about every other band.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    emtgreg has your answer, and I would fucking LOVE for 2LiveCrew to be at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post

2live crew are definitely not indie...
    Who is on this council that decides what's "indie"? That's a load of crap.

yeah, they are on what is considered an independent record label, Downtown Records. got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I do get what you're saying, I mean the Cool Kids rap almost exclusively about being fly and having things but for some reason they're indie-approved and playing Coachella, even though their live show looks pretty boring and they only have 10 tracks to their name so far. Same with Spankrock, it's just party rap and while the production is really good it's not really any different from a lot of shit that would never get a chance on people's iPods next to the Smiths or at Coachella.
    Thanks for some honesty. Again, we're dealing with that secret phantom council that decides what's "cool" and what's not.

The hippies have one too...there's this secret list of bands that are "approved" for jam fans. Every once in a while they find a band that's been around for 10 years like Primus...they get put on the list and ruin it for their old fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    yeah, they are on what is considered an independent record label, Downtown Records. got it?
    And that makes them different from 2 Live Crew how?

The hippies have one too...there's this secret list of bands that are "approved" for jam fans. Every once in a while they find a band that's been around for 10 years like Primus...they get put on the list and ruin it for their old fans.
    Hahaha no really eh? Now all Les Claypool does is perform at jam band festivals, and therefore, indie kids must hate them. I think Primus would be a perfect fit for Coachella. But I doubt that will happen...

If this isn't the fucking truth, then there is no truth.
    - Signed by an old Primus fan

Spank Rock makes me blush.

And that makes them different from 2 Live Crew how?
    It doesnt. 2live is about as indie as it gets. I dont know why you are hung up on comparing them. If you dont like em, so be it. If you dont think they belong at Coachella then so be it. I think you are wrong about folks being mad that 2live would be on the bill.

Does it really matter, if you like them, go see them, if you don't, then don't.

Personally, I think Spank Rock is great. Their show at last year's coachella was a wild performance. They are just a fun hip hop group. Naeem is a fantastic front man, like a young sly stone rapping 'bout booty.

You missed out, if you went to see "Yawn Against the Machine".

I like RATM, don't get me wrong, but they were much better when I saw them live in the 90's.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Their lyrics are nothing short of scandalous and they really know how to work the crowd. Great show with lots of booty-shakin'.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Coachella Junkie

Pitchfork and blogs picked the lineup this year. There's nothing indie about a good majority of the bands. Simply being on an indie label does not change the content of your music.

Quote Originally Posted by sddoctor View Post
    . Naeem is a fantastic front man, like a young sly stone rapping 'bout booty.
    why is spank rock being compared to the great sly stone? how are they remotely similar? can we please go back to comparing them to 2 live crew that's a much more accurate comparison.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    It doesnt. 2live is about as indie as it gets. I dont know why you are hung up on comparing them. If you dont like em, so be it. If you dont think they belong at Coachella then so be it. I think you are wrong about folks being mad that 2live would be on the bill.
    Hmmm, I may have misunderstood you. And I'm positive you are misunderstanding me.

EMTGreg answered my question with "Spank Rock are indie, 2 Live Crew are not". Which I think is bullshit.

YOU said "EMTGreg has your answer". I assumed that meant that you agreed with him.

Then you said that "(Spank Rock) is on Downtown Records, which is an independant label, got it?"...which I took to be a rather rude way of backing up EMTGreg...kind of like "Here's why Spank Rock are indie...stupid!"

Now you say "2 Live Crew are as indie as it gets." Which was, in fact, my entire point, and the exact opposite of what EMTGreg said.

AND, although I said they "don't fit", that wasn't really my point. I'm actually bitching ABOUT the people who bitch that this doesn't fit and that doesn't fit. I'm all for more variety- though I have no interest in Spank Rock OR 2 Live Crew, I say bring them on.

I think the only thing we are really disagreeing on is how welcome 2 Live Crew would be. YOU may want to see them, and I may not object to them (or anyone) being there, but do you really think this board wouldn't be filled with negative comments? That's crazy.

I just picked 2 Live Crew cause I know jack about hip-hop and they seemed the most obvious comparison. To be honest, I doubt I've ever heard one 2 Live Crew song all the way through.

BTW...I just found this on Pitchfork. (Yeah, I know, I'm complaining about hipsters and quoting Pitchfork.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchfork
    Spank Rock have signed a worldwide deal with Downtown Records...but before the proposed album hits in early 2008, MC Spank Rock will treat us to an EP inspired by 2 Live Crew, tentatively due in late summer.

"It's this project that was presented to me by this kid named Benny-- Benny Blanco he goes by," ... "He had this idea to create this EP based off of 2 Live Crew samples, and when he told me he was like, 'How'd you like to be a [part of] it?' I was like, 'I dunno man, it might be cheesy'-- but it actually turned out to be really fun and I'm really proud of it."

No word yet whether Juwan will one-up 2LC on the raunch scale, but the overall sound here shouldn't surprise: "It's just like club banger music, party music."
    So, uh...yeah. Apparently it's SUPPOSED to sound like 2 Live Crew. I guess I know slightly more than jack about hip-hop.

I will try checking out more of their old stuff...as I said originally, "Backyard Betty" wasn't bad.

HA! That's hilarious. I hadn't even seen the cover.

EDIT: It's got the stupid "No Limit" lettering too.

I'm going to have to go undercover to make my point, I guess...give me 24 hours.

Coachella Junkie

You ain't got to explain shit, I've been robbin' motherfuckers since the slave ships.