Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vampire Weekend...

Default Re: Vampire Weekend...

they have a "cute" sound I've heard said. I wouldnt fall for the hype. They dont suck, I mean they can play their instruments and all that. They really dont sound original or anything but I don't hate them. I like the song Walcott (track 10) and The Kids dont Stand A Chance (track 11) the single is Mansard Roof, im sure everyones heard. again reminds me of bedouin soundclash, nothing new but not bad either. best band of the year? no.

yeah their night at el rey in la sold out quickly but im going to low vs diamond at troubadour that night anyway...I'll catch em at coachella.
    Last edited by Sonicifyouwantit; 02-25-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

they are decent, but they are total abe vigoda rip offs. if you don't know who they are, search for them on myspace or iTunes and you will see what i mean.

They are on the cover of the new issue of SPIN. Too much hype?
    Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

Overhyped but I do like their album. Remember when everyone was yelling about the Arctic Monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypolite View Post
    They are on the cover of the new issue of SPIN. Too much hype?
    If it were both SPIN and NME in the same month, yes. Honestly?... Once you get past the hype, they aren't that bad. I'm just glad I found them out through the poster rather than through music mags... I might have hated them, otherwise.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I'm suprised MTV picked up 2 videos from them too, they've been in rotation over a month now, I like them from the bat but if they get anymore TV/ radio airplay I don't know...conundrum.
    "are you being facetious?"
    "Facetious! That's my baby's name!"

O-VER-RA-TED *Clap* *Clap* *Clapclapclap*

Quote Originally Posted by xXThirdManXx View Post
    I'm gonna go as far as to say that Vampire Weekend are examples of what is wrong with music these days.
    not panic at the disco or fallout boy or anything on the warped tour? There is nothing wrong with music these days in its entirety. There has always been corporate crap or overhyped groups and there always will be.

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Those bands are exactly what you've called them, Corporate crap. Not music.
    I know, unfortunately thats the situation that has always been.

2013 = 12 Coachellas

They definitely don't suck.....but they must have some connected parents or something or the best publicist in the world, they have people so hooked.....there are SO many better bands than them that people never hear much about
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    They definitely don't suck.....but they must have some connected parents or something or the best publicist in the world, they have people so hooked.....there are SO many better bands than them that people never hear much about
    Pitchfork is all over their nuts so therefor the hipsters are as well

Quote Originally Posted by Trailmix View Post
    Overhyped but I do like their album. Remember when everyone was yelling about the Arctic Monkeys
    I STILL YELL ABOUT THE MONKEYS - CUZ I THINK THEY ARE THAT GOOD
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Unhappy Re: Vampire Weekend...

I'm sure I'll be flamed for even asking.... but... what's all the angst aimed at Pitchfork about? In as decently-humane way as possible, can someone tell me why all the Pitchfork hatred?

I don't hate them - but they come off as holier than thou indie snobs.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Cool Re: Vampire Weekend...

I guess I've more seen them as a fairly decent way to get turned on to new music I've not heard of before... call me naive but... is the "holier than thou indie snobs" label due to them panning bands that you like while hyping bands you dislike?

Reviewing ANYTHING is going to be popular with some while pissing off others... Granted, they've blown the Vampire Weekend trumpet like they're the end of the world, but it's all just opinion - we make our own judgements in the end anyway, don't we? I think I'm still missing the point. oh well.

Better them than, say, Enter Shitkari.

Hooray for Vampire Weekend!
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Speaking of clueless hipster music critics, tne fucking NEW YORK TIMES just had a section by a reviewer hyping Vampire Weekend as his "favorite record of 2008." I mean, the NYT is good for classical and jazz, but they seem to be sort of clueless when it comes to popular music.

Quote Originally Posted by july9th View Post
    I'm sure I'll be flamed for even asking.... but... what's all the angst aimed at Pitchfork about? In as decently-humane way as possible, can someone tell me why all the Pitchfork hatred?
    speaking of the Lovable Fork, they reported yestarday that the Drummer got hit by a car two nights ago outside his hotel, Go Figure!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

they will be on SNL* next week.

*watches SNL so you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by samiksha View Post
    vampire weekend are awful. the things pitchfork choose to pimp...
    sooo... i have to look like an ass now. a friend of mine put it on last night as background music and it's no longer offensive to my ears. i still think it's sorta cheesy, but... ya know... not all bad. i might even go so far as to say i'm on the verge of maybe liking oxford comma.

overhyped,over blogged,over saturated indie media darlings.I've been reading a lot of "their album is not so bad" and a lot of "if you really listen to them them they sound ok" type comments on this thread. Kinda like if you smoke a lot and I mean a lot of weed then it will make the "E" a lot better. Talent doesnt always equal substance but hey to each their own. I guess theres always "good" music then there's everything else right? Enjoy your enter shikari naked vampire weekends!

I'm gonna go as far as to say that Vampire Weekend are examples of what is wrong with music these days.
    I believe what I'm supposed to say is QFT...

Heard 2 songs from them this morning. The only question I was left with was, "Which one sucked the most?"

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    I guess theres always "good" music then there's everything else right? Enjoy your enter shikari naked vampire weekends!
    ...What the flying fuck do Enter Shitkari and Vampire Weekend have to do with one another?

VW = Writes decent pop music, catchy vocals, and probably over-hyped (but if you get past that last one, you can take the music at face value like Sami is starting to do)

Enter Shitkari = Shit.

Major difference.
    Upcoming Shows:

Are you all kidding me?
    You don't like vampire weekend because they are over-hyped? That doesn't even make sense.
    Enjoying music should have nothing to do with what other people think of it. You are your own person with your own personal tastes.
    Get off the "Vampire weekend sucks due to hype" bandwagon, hypocrites.

My statement was meant to read...Vampire Weekend sucks because they suck. There is no hype in my statement. Sorry for the confusion.

i've heard 3 vampire weekend songs on 3 different commercials and i've had the tv on for 25 minutes. just sayin!

thestripe

I donít really understand what there is to "hype" about Vampire Weekend. They play small, sometimes fun tunes. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sadsappysucker View Post
    they are decent, but they are total abe vigoda rip offs. if you don't know who they are, search for them on myspace or iTunes and you will see what i mean.
    Yeah, except they aren't at all. Abe Vigoda are No Wave inflected pop music. They're noisy and dissonant at times, and not at all like Vampire Weekend. I'll tell 'em you said that, though, I'm sure they'll be flattered to have been referenced.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pescado555 View Post
    Are you all kidding me?
    You don't like vampire weekend because they are over-hyped? That doesn't even make sense.
    Enjoying music should have nothing to do with what other people think of it. You are your own person with your own personal tastes.
    Get off the "Vampire weekend sucks due to hype" bandwagon, hypocrites.
    I also want to add to this good rebuttal that the world has had a year to get used to Vampire Weekend. Yes, A YEAR. Its not like the band magically appeared out of nowhere last week, put out a debut on a borderline major label within 3 days and got a phonecall from SPIN and SNL 10 minutes later. The band had been carefully marketing themselves pretty much before last year's Coachella took place by distributing their 4-song demo disc to the media, and it got a lot of ears' attention. I don't see what the big outcry is all about, especially if you keep up to date with the latest music news. On that note, Pitchfork didn't really play much of a role in creating their "hype" either -- They steered clear of covering the band for quite some time, until the album came out (And then they saw it fit to give it a good review, like they do with every other album they enjoy.) So the band put their ivy league brains to work in the business aspect of making music, and now its paying off. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by PierogiHead View Post
    I also want to add to this good rebuttal that the world has had a year to get used to Vampire Weekend. Yes, A YEAR. Its not like the band magically appeared out of nowhere last week, put out a debut on a borderline major label within 3 days and got a phonecall from SPIN and SNL 10 minutes later. The band had been carefully marketing themselves pretty much before last year's Coachella took place by distributing their 4-song demo disc to the media, and it got a lot of ears' attention. I don't see what the big outcry is all about, especially if you keep up to date with the latest music news. On that note, Pitchfork didn't really play much of a role in creating their "hype" either -- They steered clear of covering the band for quite some time, until the album came out (And then they saw it fit to give it a good review, like they do with every other album they enjoy.) So the band put their ivy league brains to work in the business aspect of making music, and now its paying off. Good for them.
    Excellent point and a well put rebuttal, cheers cheers good siar
    "Ummm...I am not going to rehab becuase I won't be out for Coachella Festival..."