Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vampire Weekend...

Default Vampire Weekend...

Who here has seen them? This is one of my top 5 Bands that I can't wait to see this year.

I love music, and I hate vowels.

Cool Re: Vampire Weekend...

I saw them @ Amoeba Music in San Francisco and they weren't that great....I expected a little more from after seeing the video and all. oh well. They are what hard fi was a couple of years back... OVER-FUCKING-RATED!!!!

not to mention, I don't realy care to see rich white kids from new york play poor, famine-ridden, worldbeat shit that we could be hearing from the new musical youth....ok, I'm just going off now

the video for A punk was cool though

Default Re: Vampire Weekend...

hahaha great post yonicsouth.
    The White Stripes 9/18

half of the coachella lineup is just trendy scenester artists
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

Vampire Weekend plays good music, but if take a step back and look at them as a whole, the really are just one big boring blurry blob of consistently good hooks. Really isn't a lot of depth to the music. I expect them to die with their hype just like many other bands have already done in the past few years.
    I want Parenthetical Girls to play

Banned

I saw them back in November, and I would have to disagree with the posts above. They put on a solid set and sounded great. They definitely are not a band you are going to find yourself "rocking out" with a crazy crowd and all that stuff, but I would not pile them into being another Shins-like boring act. Over-hyped? Perhaps, but anyone who heard their demo when it came out last April could probably tell you they saw it coming.

im gunna catch them at Langerado in a couple weeks, i will report back with details on all the major artists
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Parenthetical Boy View Post
    Vampire Weekend plays good music, but if take a step back and look at them as a whole, the really are just one big boring blurry blob of consistently good hooks. Really isn't a lot of depth to the music. I expect them to die with their hype just like many other bands have already done in the past few years.
    I think you have a point. I totally like their music, but when you really take a listen, there is not much depth. Still, I think their music is really good. MGMT is better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

Yes, MGMT is much better. But I am liking what I've heard so far from these guys. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's pretty decent. I'll take a listen Friday if there's not something major conflicting, which there shouldn't be.

Everyone's thoughts on this band are pretty spot-on, but I will say this.

"Walcott" is one of the best songs I've heard in a looooong time. Once this band dies down and drifts away, I'll be very happy they existed at all because of "Walcott".

But I wouldn't waste my time seeing them live, but goddammit I fucking love that song.

vampire weekend are awful. the things pitchfork choose to pimp...

I like them, they're like the Police, nothing way too fancy, the drumming's cool, fun band, nothing earth shattering, though.

Gonna see them at the festival this year.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

whiney pain in butt

everyone keeps changing their avatar. i guess i should too.

I saw them at Amoeba in Hollywood and I was really disapointed. I wouldn't waste my time catching them at Coachella. There are plenty of other interesting things going on like catching a band you have never heard of.
    Baby, I think you're special- Prince

whiney pain in butt

Quote Originally Posted by psychoc&ndy View Post
    half of the coachella lineup is just trendy scenester artists
    i'mza gunna barf now!!! ME HATES COACHELLA!!!

but srsly. i'm just going to make a sammich and call it good.

What a boring band.

Bump. Especially since the Enter Shikari topic keeps on being bumped. Gotta even it out, somehow.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

its all hype. heard their live studio set on kcrw last week... same riffs, same melodies. they will disapear soon. i just wish the artic monkeys would disapear.

I agree with you on your educated opinion concerning Enter Shitkari, but... These guys aren't just hype. Made by the hype? Yes. But I feel like they back it up well.

Granted, I can see how people wouldn't like them. >>; *sigh*
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by yonicsouth View Post
    I saw them @ Amoeba Music in San Francisco and they weren't that great....I expected a little more from after seeing the video and all. oh well. They are what hard fi was a couple of years back... OVER-FUCKING-RATED!!!!

not to mention, I don't realy care to see rich white kids from new york play poor, famine-ridden, worldbeat shit that we could be hearing from the new musical youth....ok, I'm just going off now

the video for A punk was cool though
    im never really impressed with amoeba sets though, I go to the ones in LA sometimes. Too bright, standing in rows people shopping around me. Just kinda rough.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

theyre cool. but i dont see what the fuss is about.. sure they throw in some african guitar riffs.. but its just the same thing over and over and over... still cool tho

sounds like bedouin sound clash

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

You do realize that it's becoming more sheeplike to be part of the backlash crowd than it is to be a fan of a new band, right? So, really, when you're making grand pronouncements about Vampire Weekend and how they are overrated and this will be their 15 minutes of fame because they really actually suck, then you're just becoming part of the problem. How the fuck do you know what will happen with them? Just because they're getting a sudden rush of attention doesn't automatically mean they are overrated.

But I know it makes you feel above things to pretend that you have much more insightful opinions than those who blindly "hype."

well said YAb
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    You do realize that it's becoming more sheeplike to be part of the backlash crowd than it is to be a fan of a new band, right? So, really, when you're making grand pronouncements about Vampire Weekend and how they are overrated and this will be their 15 minutes of fame because they really actually suck, then you're just becoming part of the problem. How the fuck do you know what will happen with them? Just because they're getting a sudden rush of attention doesn't automatically mean they are overrated.

But I know it makes you feel above things to pretend that you have much more insightful opinions than those who blindly "hype."
    what if I just think they're not very interesting?
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    what if I just think they're not very interesting?
    It's your opinion and, however blinkered it may be, you are entitled to it. I saw Vampire Weekend in Oxford on Saturday. They were supported by a dull, uninventive rock-by-numbers band called Sparkadia. They did nothing new and bored me to tears. Then Vampire Weekend took to the stage, with energy, enthusiasm and a good range of tunes (some of it even sounded a bit rockabilly - how dare they, when they don't even have quiffs!). Even if you don't like their music, i think "not very interesting" is a stretch.

Would they be getting all this shit if they were not hyped by pitchfork and didn't have the Ivy League background?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

i think their new album is pretty enjoyable and fresh sounding, but more than anything i feel that being on the new cover of spin is a bit ridiculous for how new they are. i just think it's unfair for many other new artists that are just as good or better than them, to have to fall back and let vampire weekend rise to the top of "indie stardom" simply because of internet hype. i'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing - like i said, i just feel that there are many other new artists who deserve equal spotlight
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

are on cover of new spin, got it today in mail

2013 = 12 Coachellas

What songs do you recommend? I've listened to a couple random ones and wasn't very impressed. I'm willing to try again.

I do have to say that I was surprised how quickly their shows here sold out. I was going to go see them next month to see what I thought of them, and both nights sold out pretty quickly.