Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: CUT//COPY

Default Re: CUT//COPY

I saw Cut Copy for my 4th time in Oakland last night, and I was pretty bummed. The sound mix was awful, and the crowd was even worse. After hearing the new songs live, I'm not sure how this album is going to stick with me the way the others have. Definitely my least favorite performance of theirs that I have attended.

8/16-17 - Summer Sonic @ OVC Marine Field Tokyo
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park
    10/19 - Metronomy @ Belly-Up Tavern
    10/21 - Metronomy @ The Regent Theater
    10/23 - Metronomy @ Regency Ballroom
    11/17 - Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent
    2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 wk 2, 2013 wk 1, 2014 wk 1

Quote Originally Posted by CoachellaBlood View Post
    I saw Cut Copy for my 4th time in Oakland last night, and I was pretty bummed. The sound mix was awful, and the crowd was even worse. After hearing the new songs live, I'm not sure how this album is going to stick with me the way the others have. Definitely my least favorite performance of theirs that I have attended.
    Ah, this makes me so sad for you! Sounds like a complete opposite of my experience a few nights ago. Then again, the only time I "saw" them before that, was at Coachella, it was the single worst experience I've had in all my years at the fest, and it damn near tainted my opinion of Cut Copy, because I thought only douche faces like the ones surrounding me were their only fans and I wanted to slice all of them. What a fucking disaster.

I do like the off beats of their new material- but I will always like Bright Like Neon Love better because it's the one I started with- even if they only played one song off it. It's what I like. And I think that's what makes a difference between crowds- people coming into a show at different levels of exposure. I went with my dim wit girlfriend who only knows what I feed her, but she's fun to dance and drink with. I was mad excited during the huge disco party that came of "That was just a dream" but noticed the crowd really only went wild for the new songs... figures. Good thing SL,UT dances to just about anything, so it was an overall great show- we're not snobby about our fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachellaBlood View Post
    Sloppy crowd?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

How was the bear factor
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    the stone roses: 852
    655k actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    655k actually.
    oh, sorry. that must have been their US fan group.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    Ah, this makes me so sad for you! Sounds like a complete opposite of my experience a few nights ago. Then again, the only time I "saw" them before that, was at Coachella, it was the single worst experience I've had in all my years at the fest, and it damn near tainted my opinion of Cut Copy, because I thought only douche faces like the ones surrounding me were their only fans and I wanted to slice all of them. What a fucking disaster.
    If you're talking about 2011 your experience was much different than most people here. That was one of my favorite sets out of every Coachella I've been to, and the crowd aroundme was fucking insanely awesome. So much fun.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    If you're talking about 2011 your experience was much different than most people here. That was one of my favorite sets out of every Coachella I've been to, and the crowd aroundme was fucking insanely awesome. So much fun.
    This
    That was the most electric crowd for any set I have been to at Coachella

One of the top ten concert experiences of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Respect to djbionik and her dissenting opinion (discourse is good, no?), but at that moment in time in that tent in the desert with Cut Copy and thousands of adoring fans was one of the single greatest music moments in my life. I camped (no hotel) and my friend wouldn't go see Sleigh Bells with me (right before CC), so I ended up going into the Mojave alone for Sleigh Bells and raging my dick off then staying for CC, which (blasphemy) was even more fun than the Bells. To this day I get butterflies thinking about it. And I still rag on my friend for missing that set.

I can't wait to see them Wednesday and hopefully hear In Memory Capsule live.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Cut Copy was Allllllllright at HARD, fell a little flat for me. New material is pretty good, would have liked to hear more earlier material though
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Cut Copy was Allllllllright at HARD, fell a little flat for me. New material is pretty good, would have liked to hear more earlier material though
    Part of it was probably the e-tard crowd that was stiff the whole time.

I missed the first 20 mins so maybe I missed some new songs? I felt like they played too much old stuff. Also "Need You Now" sucks and needs to be dropped.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    That was my first time seeing them and I enjoyed the hell out of it. At the beginning of the set I was surrounded by Calvin Harris fans but I eventually made my way over to some cut copy fans and had a blast. The new material is great live. I'm really hoping to see them again at coachella.
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

just got back from the DJ set and CD signing by Cut Copy at Amoeba. as they were signing my CD (no vinyl, fuck), I said, "see you at Coachella." they hemmed and hawed a little and were like, "what's that?" I said it wasn't a question and they laughed (all four of them). the drummer gave me a wink and thumbs up, so CONFIRMED!

I will take it!

To clarify, it wasn't that I thought the set, or even the show was bad in 2011, it was my experience at that particular set that sucked balls. As I mentioned before, I had no idea what to expect, how big the crowd was going to be or anything- I just knew that I liked Cut Copy enough to want a great sweet spot. So I did, about 20 people back from the front, all comfortable with my friend, about 20 minutes before starting time. Now, when you're short, the front is tricky, because you might get stuck with just seeing the back of someone's head, so I took a few steps back so I could see everything beautifully- Perfect, right?

Enter a bunch of giraffes, shirtless, sweaty and stinky with poor manners, totally just like stood in front of me just as the music started. And you know how when the lights go off, people all the sudden shift and sway? Well, I stood ground, and asked the gentlemen in front of me kindly if I could have my spot back in front of them, so I could see, since I had been waiting. At first they didn't reply, so I tapped, smiled and asked again. They were like "spots aren't reserved, so no." OK, whatever, I can move... oh wait, the place is totally packed and I don't know where my feet are, because the crowd is so tight and we're swaying, and now I have sweaty man skin smothering face and sliding around on my shoulders. THE WHOLE SHOW was like that- NOt even dancing. The guys in front gave in to the sway, the guys around squoze, and the dudes behind smooshed. I do remember some involuntary jumping so as to avoid further skin on unfamiliar skin smothering- I'm sure this was great for the rest of you.

In conclusion- Since I didn't know what to expect, and this is all that I saw, on all sides of me, I was left to think that all fans were this asshole-y, since at that time, that's all I could see. I don't remember the set, I'm sure it was great enough for me not to make a scene to get out. (if I hate it, I'll pretend I need to puke or about to cry, and people make way real fast- just a little trick I learned in prison ;p ) But I didn't so I'm sure the set was magnificent. I just had a horrible time next to horrible people.

Anyway, I'm very happy that it was a big crowd for Coachella standards enough that they potentially will be back, even if a wink is our only confirmation. Our SLC scene redeemed everything that I love about Cut Copy, but at Coachella, I'll be more careful about finding the dance party, with decent human beings, and not the view.
    Last edited by djbionik; 11-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.

... just a little trick I learned in prison ;p ...
    like Orange Is The New Black?

Saw them in Portland over the weekend, the new stuff sounded good enough - but the old hits really got the crowd going. They've still got a 10 on the fun factor. The budget for their light show has really been beefed up this time around, it seems.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

True. Just found out my friend took a picture of him on the second level from below. Dave Chappelle was getting down with his hands up and everything.

This is one of his pics from facebook that he let me steal.
    Attachment 11246
    Ha, from Reddit:

[–]kw708 7 points 1 hour ago*
    What is your favorite "crazy fan" story?
    PS I love you

[–]wearecutcopyVerified[S] 22 points 55 minutes ago
    Dave Chappelle singing lean on me in our band room in Salt Lake the other night. I think we were the crazy fans though.
    Love you too
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    How was the bear factor
    Was Salah there?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    just got back from the DJ set and CD signing by Cut Copy at Amoeba. as they were signing my CD (no vinyl, fuck), I said, "see you at Coachella." they hemmed and hawed a little and were like, "what's that?" I said it wasn't a question and they laughed (all four of them). the drummer gave me a wink and thumbs up, so CONFIRMED!
    I figured this was an obvious, but I take this as a definite confirm! Now we just have to speculate on the stage and time.

Still surprised I didn't hear about any after party for them, they probably had something private.

and by the way? this CD is fantastic. can't stop listening to it.

P.S. in case anyone was wondering what a DJ set by Cut Copy looked like:

pretty much didn't change for the 30-40 minute set.
    Last edited by kvnty; 11-06-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

emergency room for prolapsed rectum.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

most probably

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post

Still surprised I didn't hear about any after party for them, they probably had something private.
    It was at the Honeycutt Downtown.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

honeycutt downtown last night was fun as fuck and a madhouse

To clarify, it wasn't that I thought the set, or even the show was bad in 2011, it was my experience at that particular set that sucked balls. As I mentioned before, I had no idea what to expect, how big the crowd was going to be or anything- I just knew that I liked Cut Copy enough to want a great sweet spot. So I did, about 20 people back from the front, all comfortable with my friend, about 20 minutes before starting time. Now, when you're short, the front is tricky, because you might get stuck with just seeing the back of someone's head, so I took a few steps back so I could see everything beautifully- Perfect, right?

Enter a bunch of giraffes, shirtless, sweaty and stinky with poor manners, totally just like stood in front of me just as the music started. And you know how when the lights go off, people all the sudden shift and sway? Well, I stood ground, and asked the gentlemen in front of me kindly if I could have my spot back in front of them, so I could see, since I had been waiting. At first they didn't reply, so I tapped, smiled and asked again. They were like "spots aren't reserved, so no." OK, whatever, I can move... oh wait, the place is totally packed and I don't know where my feet are, because the crowd is so tight and we're swaying, and now I have sweaty man skin smothering face and sliding around on my shoulders. THE WHOLE SHOW was like that- NOt even dancing. The guys in front gave in to the sway, the guys around squoze, and the dudes behind smooshed. I do remember some involuntary jumping so as to avoid further skin on unfamiliar skin smothering- I'm sure this was great for the rest of you.

In conclusion- Since I didn't know what to expect, and this is all that I saw, on all sides of me, I was left to think that all fans were this asshole-y, since at that time, that's all I could see. I don't remember the set, I'm sure it was great enough for me not to make a scene to get out. (if I hate it, I'll pretend I need to puke or about to cry, and people make way real fast- just a little trick I learned in prison ;p ) But I didn't so I'm sure the set was magnificent. I just had a horrible time next to horrible people.

Anyway, I'm very happy that it was a big crowd for Coachella standards enough that they potentially will be back, even if a wink is our only confirmation. Our SLC scene redeemed everything that I love about Cut Copy, but at Coachella, I'll be more careful about finding the dance party, with decent human beings, and not the view.
    Bummer..................?? maybe you should stop going to music festivals, you don't sound very fun

Spun the CD like 3 times in my car tonight. Addicting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I saw them last night in Houston, it was a mixture of the worst and best concert experience rolled into one night. I don't know who's in charge of selecting the openers but it was a really bad joke on most of the audience and it took two and a half hours from the first opener to Cut Copy. The first opener was a really shady dude making noise with his guitar and some pre-programmed noises and had really freaky moves as if he were on something, the kind of dude you don't wanna stumble upon at night on a lonely street. Thankfully his "songs" and set was short, no more than 30 mins. So I thought that was the listed opener but no, after some 20 mins comes this guy on stage and starts fiddling with his synths and starts playing some weird noises and they eventually morph into some sort of dance pieces, not the kind of music to dance to really, if anyone was doubting the other guy was on something then this guy clearly was, having seizure-esque dance attacks and constat finger pointing at the audience and himself. Someone pointed out he was probably having more fun than anyone in the audience at that point, which I thought was completely accurate, I don't think he would have noticed if no one was there. He took way too long on stage about 40 minutes and by the end most people were completely annoyed and kind of asking for their money back. Me and my boyfriend were more pissed off than excited at that moment.

So Cut Copy finally decide to show up at about 11:10 and they absolutely killed, the audience was fucking great too, the best I've seen in a long long time and brought back the thoughts of coachella in 2011. I didn't have such high expectations for yesterday but I was so wrong and I'm glad it happened that way. If they're playing coachella next year they will absolutely make people cum and would consider going just to see them regardless of headliners.

So in short, worst opener experience and got dragged for too long but Cut Copy more than made up for it.