Page 1 of 124 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: San Francisco Music & Arts Festival

Default Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival

San Francisco Music & Arts Festival

August 23-24, 2008

Golden Gate Park

Agenda Item Wording:
    Discussion and possible action to approve a request from Another planet Entertainment to produce a two-day music and arts festival in Golden Gate Park, in which a portion of the ticket price will benefit Golden Gate Park. The Festival will be held on August 23-24, 2008. Another Planet requests to sell alcohol and to modify the sound policy to allow amplified sound from 11:30 AM until 10:00 PM at the Polo Fields, Speedway Meadow and Lindley Meadow.

Description
    Another Planet Entertainment, in association with Superfly Productions and partnership with the Recreation and Park Department, is proposing a two-day world-class music festival to be held in the Polo Fields, Speedway Meadow and Lindley Meadow in Golden Gate Park. This arts and music festival, developed as a pilot community event in partnership with the Department, will generate a donated portion of ticket sales – in addition to a permit fee – to benefit Golden Gate Park, for the sole purpose of maintenance and capital improvements.

The San Francisco Music & Arts Festival will be modeled on other such festivals in music-friendly cities as Chicago, New Orleans, Austin and Seattle and will attract people from around the world to experience one of San Francisco’s traditional cultural assets – live music. With a wide array of performances, attractions, and concession stands, the festival will establish San Francisco as an important destination on the music festival circuit, while providing a significant economic impact and highlighting the characteristics that make San Francisco one of the finest cities (with some of the greatest musical history) in the world.

Performers at the San Francisco Music & Arts Festival will represent a wide range of genres, including rock, blues, reggae, jazz, world, soul, Latin and electronic music. Major national headliners will perform alongside exceptional emerging talent, making the event a substantial celebration of the established and cutting edge. Local acts will also be featured prominently so that the festival represents San Francisco’s vibrant cultural community.

With two environmentally conscious organizations as event producers, the festival will utilize renewable energy sources, recycling programs, and other greening efforts. Centrally located in Golden Gate Park, a site with a long history of legendary music events, the festival can take full advantage of the city’s vital mass transit system. Furthermore, the event will directly benefit San Francisco Recreation & Park Department with a dedicated donation from ticket sales – in addition to the permit fee.

Another Planet is committed to producing an event that recognizes the needs of the Park and its neighbors. They have developed and will continue to refine a comprehensive transportation plan, security and medical plans, and an efficient and safe plan to have concert attendees arrive and exit Golden Gate Park. (Please see attached plans from Another Planet for more information).

Festival Dates:
    Saturday, August 23rd & Sunday, August 24 th, 2008

Location and Stages:
    Golden Gate Park (Polo Field, Speedway Meadow & Lindley Meadow)
    Four stages

Festival Daily Event Schedule:
    11:00AM – Festival Gates Open
    11:30 or 12:00PM - Music Starts
    10:00PM – Music Ends
    Estimated Attendance:
    35,000 – 45,000 people per day. Attendance / admission will not exceed 60,000 per day
    More info
    Last edited by orbit; 03-24-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Default Re: San Francisco Music and Arts Festival

There goes a location for the next create a festival contest...
    Upcoming Shows:
    ???

6x Coachella Attendee (2007 - 2011, 2014a)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Default Re: San Francisco Music and Arts Festival

awesome...

Default Re: San Francisco Music & Arts Festival

bout time SF gets a good large music festival. More reasons for a trip to up north is always welcome. Music festivals really are getting crazy popular across the states though...jesh
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

It should also be noted this is now proposed to be a 3 day event. August 22-24. However, the Friday will be a half day of music 5-10pm.

This is the new proposal
    http://www.parks.sfgov.org/site/uplo...ertainment.pdf

This is the original proposal
    http://www.parks.sfgov.org/site/uplo...r%20Planet.pdf

It should be known that it was requested to become a 3 day event to accomodate a "major headliner." Radiohead much?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Rage, fix the coding tags on the end to not strech it out? kthxbye

Fixed.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Radiohead, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine to headline!
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Interesting. I'm all for festivals within walking distance!

I wonder if they'd still have the Treasure Island festival if this goes forward.

JJ will play in all 3 days!
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Interesting. I'm all for festivals within walking distance!

I wonder if they'd still have the Treasure Island festival if this goes forward.
    I am sure they would. This doesnt seem to be somethign that would infringe on it since APE is putting it on. They would just end up getting the bands who are head west from ACL like they did last year. Im expecting a good amount of acts from SF, plus other goodies. Shoudl be fun, too bad I will only be going one day. I hate ''shortchanging'' a festival, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I am sure they would. This doesnt seem to be somethign that would infringe on it since APE is putting it on.
    But APE put on Treasure Island festival (with noise pop). From the proposal, though, it does sound like it would be a larger scale than Treasure Island's festival and more diverse musicians invited.

I'm sure I'll check it out, either way.

With Superfly/APE putting on this thing, I am sure we will get a very diverse line up. So, with this happening at the end of August, I guess we can expect a full line up by the end of May?

I am sure they would. This doesnt seem to be somethign that would infringe on it since APE is putting it on. They would just end up getting the bands who are head west from ACL like they did last year. Im expecting a good amount of acts from SF, plus other goodies. Shoudl be fun, too bad I will only be going one day. I hate ''shortchanging'' a festival, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Aren't Radiohead suposed to be playing the bowl on the 24th and 25th? So you could go to Friday and Saturday of this thing.

If they do play the Bowl on the 24th and 25th, they won't be headlining on Saturday. I don't think they do three shows in three days anymore.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

This line up will be out end of April, maybe even early april. Radiohead will def. be there. And I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    This line up will be out end of April, maybe even early april. Radiohead will def. be there. And I will be there.
    You say this like it is set in stone. How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    If they do play the Bowl on the 24th and 25th, they won't be headlining on Saturday. I don't think they do three shows in three days anymore.
    If Friday was added to accomodate a "major headliner"... then there is a good chance it is Radiohead.

I don't just hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Aren't Radiohead suposed to be playing the bowl on the 24th and 25th? So you could go to Friday and Saturday of this thing.
    Depends, I am not going alone to this one by any means. You would think that this wouldnt be announced until the rest of the tour woudl be either. So if APW gets announced with the next round of dates, so would this. Also, it would give people a choice. And all you people who are traveling to the other side of the country to see Radiohead at APW, sure got a nice suprise with this one huh? And crap, I just got another idea of what RH might do in august. S**t, I dont liek it, Ill explain later.

Memorial_07

no one confirmed yet?

I'm just hoping they are there. GEEZ, I didn't mean to get people are stirred up

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    no one confirmed yet?
    Nope, but we will be ''safely'' saying Radiohead headlines a day.

I don't like that it ends at 10, but I can't complain about a new festival. EVER.

Do we even have word yet on what bands will be touring the states in August, besides Radiohead?

Memorial_07

Nope, but we will be ''safely'' saying Radiohead headlines a day.
    If that happens, may joy be with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    I'm just hoping they are there. GEEZ, I didn't mean to get people are stirred up
    Well festival line ups tend to be anounced 3-4 months before the festival. That would mean late April at the earliest.
    My bet is that Radioheads second leg tour dates gets anounced the same day the APW line up is anounced. In the Radiohead anouncement, will also be Radiohead playing Golden Gate Park. A week later, the San Francisco festival line up will be anounced.

In other news... will this festival be getting a better name?

wow, another festival, this needs to stop (even though this won't be on the same scale as others)...

Let's hope for the best

I wish there was a festival every weekend, like how it is in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    To stop hijacking the Radiohead Tour thread.

San Francisco Music & Arts Festival

August 23-24, 2008

Golden Gate Park

More info
    there's not enough room for a festival there, if they use the same stage areas they do for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass (which they seem to be intending to do). Waaaaaay too crowded.

I guess America is the new Europe, where there will be a couple dozen bands being festival whores, with one third playing every single one, one third playing half, and one third playing the other half.