Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Believe the Hype?

Default Believe the Hype?

Okay, here's my problem: I've listened to pretty much a CD by every band playing Saturday, seeing as all I hear on this board is that it's going to be "the best day." But, as I've been listening to a lot of these bands that I have seen highly praised by people on this board at some point or another, I don't really understand what's so great about them. Please, enlighten me, give me other CDs to listen to, other places to look, because I've heard good things about all these bands.

Turbonegro - Shocked at how normal this band was. Honestly, I think I could find hundreds of garage bands with the same sound and bad sense of humor.

Portishead - Found them repetitive, boring, and don't really want to go asleep at Coachella saturday night

Hot Chip - I have the feeling I'm going to get the most crap for this. I listened to The Warning, and just didn't think it had anything memorable. I've heard Made in the Dark is great.

Animal Collective - Seems like pure acid rock, not sure anything can convince me to like them

M.I.A. - Another one I really wanted to like, but Kala just seemed like someone trying to shove as many tribal and exotic beats as they can into a CD just for the sake of having them there.

Jamie T. - I hated, hated, hated this guy. I don't even know why I'm putting him in this post because I don't think I will ever be convinced to see him. Just 100% crap, the worst music I've heard in a long time.

Memorial_07

Default Re: Believe the Hype?

go complain somewhere else...
    or here's a better solution...

Don't go Satruday!

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    go complain somewhere else...
    or here's a better solution...

Don't go Satruday!
    Maybe you misunderstood this post...
    I didn't like these bands, I've heard good things about them, I'd like to listen to them more and give them more chances beyond the one CD I've heard.
    Geez, cut a guy some slack who's trying to broaden his musical horizons

I would say listen to Coming on Strong by Hot Chip; it's easier to get into the rest of their music if you start at the beginning.

not sure what to tell you about the rest of those--it sounds like you're hearing the music for what it is and just not enjoying it, so I don't know how to convince you. animal collective's earlier stuff is less acid rock and more just weirdo rock, but other than that...
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I'm not sure what you want people to say. You've listened to the music, and you're pretty definitive in your distaste for it. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting "Not sure anything can convince me to like them" and "I hated, hated, hated this guy."

I always think posts like this should be accompanied by a list of bands you do like. That might clear things up really fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Arrow Re: Believe the Hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Okay, here's my problem: I've listened to pretty much a CD by every band playing Saturday, seeing as all I hear on this board is that it's going to be "the best day." But, as I've been listening to a lot of these bands that I have seen highly praised by people on this board at some point or another, I don't really understand what's so great about them. Please, enlighten me, give me other CDs to listen to, other places to look, because I've heard good things about all these bands.

Turbonegro - Shocked at how normal this band was. Honestly, I think I could find hundreds of garage bands with the same sound and bad sense of humor.

Portishead - Found them repetitive, boring, and don't really want to go asleep at Coachella saturday night

Hot Chip - I have the feeling I'm going to get the most crap for this. I listened to The Warning, and just didn't think it had anything memorable. I've heard Made in the Dark is great.

Animal Collective - Seems like pure acid rock, not sure anything can convince me to like them

M.I.A. - Another one I really wanted to like, but Kala just seemed like someone trying to shove as many tribal and exotic beats as they can into a CD just for the sake of having them there.

Jamie T. - I hated, hated, hated this guy. I don't even know why I'm putting him in this post because I don't think I will ever be convinced to see him. Just 100% crap, the worst music I've heard in a long time.

I'm with you, man. Saturday is looking to be the weakest of all the sauces
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Heres the thing with really good albums, you hate them at first. You keep listening to them and suddenly you find yourself craving them...those are the great albums, not the poppy easy ones you like right off the bat. As for hot chip and probably most of the bands you listed you just have to see them live. Sometimes after I see a band live I understand them and I associate the memory with songs on the album and I love it. HOT CHIP ROCKS!

Also you are not going to like every band none of us do and Im sure people hyping saturday to begin with really only like 20 to 25 of the 50 bands that day so dont worry you wont be able to see all the bands anyway
    Last edited by Sonicifyouwantit; 02-17-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

I will say that I don't care for MIA's CDs much, but I really loved her live show at Vegoose, and she is on my must see list.

I've actually started to like her first album since seeing her, but everything I've heard off Kala was pretty annoying.

As for Portishead...I've always really liked their music, but I agree that it doesn't seem like an exciting way to end the day, especially on the main stage. I will be there anyway.

I've been puzzled by the Turbonegro love as well. I've tried a few songs, and only one was halfway decent.

Drop Kraftwerk, and Saturday would be the least exciting day for me. As it stands now, it's about tied with Friday. Sunday has the best top to bottom lineup for me...there's someone on each line for me to get excited about. Friday has the most small bands I'm excited about, but the headliners don't do it for me (though I will be at The Verve.) Saturday just has a few things here and there.

Just go listen to The Arcade Fire instead!

E
    Quote Originally Posted by caco0283 View Post
    fuck you EDWIINNN...what the fuck did you win?? THE IM A FUCKING LOSER THAT RUINS BROWN PEOPLES RESPECTABLITIES IN AMERCIA BY HAVING TO SCALP TICKETS...YEAH MY NAME IS EDWIN AND I EDWIN AND IM A FUCKING DORK THAT CLAIMS IM FROM PUERTO RICO BY I MIGHT ACTUALLY JUST BE A SHITHEAD FROM NY (no offense nando i love you brothers) AWARD
    I'm the GREATEST POSTER you have ever witnessed on a message board.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChii4 View Post

E
    there he goes with arcade again...but Im not knockin it I have both their albums on vinyl and listen regularly
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Memorial_07

Maybe you misunderstood this post...
    I didn't like these bands, I've heard good things about them, I'd like to listen to them more and give them more chances beyond the one CD I've heard.
    Geez, cut a guy some slack who's trying to broaden his musical horizons
    Then don't watch the bands.
    And all the bands you mentioned, you might like them live.
    Thats a whole different experience.

Always nice when someone does this (I did it with portishead, got some good suggestions).

Mostly, I completely agree with you. Turbonegro, M.I.A., Animal Collective...I just don't get it (especially the latter two).

Here's my thread on Portishead, maybe it'll help you: http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15831

I'm still not really into it, but I did like the live album the most, so maybe I'll like their show. I didn't like Hot Chip until I listened to their new album, and I do like at least half of it. Definitely check it out, I'm now getting excited to see them.

I haven't heard Jamie T yet, so I don't know about that.

Good luck, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicifyouwantit View Post
    Heres the thing with really good albums, you hate them at first. You keep listening to them and suddenly you find yourself craving them...those are the great albums, not the poppy easy ones you like right off the bat. As for hot chip and probably most of the bands you listed you just have to see them live. Sometimes after I see a band live I understand them and I associate the memory with songs on the album and I love it. HOT CHIP ROCKS!

Also you are not going to like every band none of us do and Im sure people hyping saturday to begin with really only like 20 to 25 of the 50 bands that day so dont worry you wont be able to see all the bands anyway
    I dunno. I think the truly great albums are the ones you do love at first, and then still love more and more with each listen (The Bends > Kid A)

Animal Collective - Seems like pure acid rock, not sure anything can convince me to like them.
    Both of them are great live. You may not like animal collective live if you dont like their albums, but Hot Chip is surely more fun live than their albums suggest. i suggest you youtube some on both of them. IF you want a good taste of Animal Collective live download the NPR All Songs Considered Podcast of Animal Collective at the 9:30 club. gives a good taste of their new stuff.

E
    For a second I thought this was actually delta.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

[QUOTE=M Sparks;469575]I will say that I don't care for MIA's CDs much, but I really loved her live show at Vegoose, and she is on my must see list.

I saw her 05 set (when she was practically a nobody outside of underground hip-hop circles) and she was fucking incredible. She blew the roof off of the Gobi. I will definitely be seeing her again this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Portishead, boring? LOL.

Enjoy "rocking the fuck out" to Jack Johnson on Friday...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

GET SOME RAVE IN YOUR SYSTEM

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Portishead, boring? LOL.

Enjoy "rocking the fuck out" to Jack Johnson on Friday...
    Oh yeah, because in that thread it was really clear I love Jack Johnson and think he's better than Portishead. Some people on this board...

MIA is pretty cool cause of the subject material, im not really into the other bands myself though, besides death cab, cafe tacuba, and kate nash.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08 (Camping 07, 08)

010' Fri - Jay-Z . Them Crooked Vultures, The Specials, La Roux, P.O.S., Wale, As Tall as Lions, Grizzly Bear

Sat - Muse, Faith No More, DEVO, MGMT, Coheed & Cambria, Z-Trip, Les Claypool, Mew, Tokyo Police Club, Frightened Rabbit, Corainne Bailey Rae, RX Bandits, Portugal. The Man, Flying Lotus

Sun - Gorillaz, Thom Yorke (Radiohead =) Sly & the Family Stone, De La Soul, Yo La Tengo, MUTEMATH, Matt & Kim, B.O.B., King Khan & the Shrines, Phoenix

Portishead is boring. Ass.

Out of the ones you mentioned, I like Animal Collective and Hot Chip. I'm not a fan of MIA on album, but I'm curious to see a part of her set live.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

E
    when did you get back?
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

It's an alias... clearly.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I have much, much love for M.I.A. Kala is amazing, I've listened to it at least once a day for the past few months. Give it another listen, it's some of the most unique and fun dance music you'll find. I can't wait to see her set.

other acts I'm looking forward to from Saturday that you didn't mention are Malkmus, Islands, Boys Noize, The Teenagers, Man Man, St. Vincent, Akron/Family, and Grand Ole Party... That's a pretty solid day for me.

RE: Original Post

I don't know who told you Turbonegro were anything special... but they were wrong. Their music isn't bad, but its nothing to call home about. I have heard they put on a fun live show though. If they don't conflict with anyone, I might seem them. But I have a feeling they will be conflicting with Portishead/Kraftwerk.

Also, I don't know what anyone see's in MIA or Hot Chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Boys Noize
    Erol Alkan
    Institubes
    MGMT
    MIA
    Sebastian
    St. Vincent
    Flogging Molly

those are the acts Id like to see on Saturday...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Boys Noize
    Erol Alkan
    Institubes
    MGMT
    MIA
    Sebastian
    St. Vincent
    Flogging Molly

those are the acts Id like to see on Saturday...
    Majority of your picks are really obscure.

Turbonegro - they're pretty good, but yeah, not too extraordinary.

Portishead - mm well portishead is just great

Hot Chip - i think they're good, and fun. that's it. but i'm really looking forward to seeing hot chip live sometime, i've heard great reviews.

M.I.A. - too much for me. i don't really like nor get MIA, it's annoying.

you didn't listen hard enough