Thread: MGMT / BLACK MOUNTAIN / DAN DEACON / BLACK LIPS / AUTOLUX

Lurker

Default MGMT / BLACK MOUNTAIN / DAN DEACON / BLACK LIPS / AUTOLUX

Have Seen a bunch of shows in the last month or so gettin ready for Coachella. A bit surprised that some of the shows I thought would be great were not and vice versa.

DAN DEACON - Didn't know a lot about this guy except what I sampled on iTunes, but thought....What the hell I will go and see him...plus several people that reviewed on iTues said to see him live. Amazing show. He is just one guy, he put his DJ table down on the floor below the stage in the crowd and invited people up on the stage to dance. He turned the house lights all on, and had dance lines going in one direction and ppl making tunnels with their hands while the others passed thru.....like a party train.....amazing show. Awesome band called HEALTH opened for him. Wish 'they' were coming to Coachella. Saw them at the Great American Music Hall in SF. Don't know how he will do at a festival tho.

MGMT - The Oakland Tribune gave this show, which opened with the great band YEASAYER, kind of a crappy review. I loved the show. MGMT has such a great 70's glam /early Bowie-esque sound. Their show was rockin. Great vocals. These guys are really young. good musicians though. Saw them at Bottom of The Hill in SF.

BLACK MOUNTAIN - Saw these folks at The Independent in SF. I was hopin for more. I dig their pyschedlic acid(y) sound with much soaring guitar ([I]especially with a little green bud) yet their show was just okay...a might tepid for my tastes although the female vocalist is quite haunting. Not much movement on stage though.

BLACK LIPS - LOVE THESE GUYS. Saw them at The Great American Music Hall... again. Saw them in Pomona last year as well, and can't wait to catch the Coachella show. They are all over the stage and like to do unexpected things like french kiss each other....get naked, etc...this last show they whirled into a fight right after the first encore. The drummer and one of the guitarists really freaked on each other and the next thing we knew, they went back stage...the house lights were on. No more show. Maybe it was an act....but seemed real.

AUTOLUX - Saw them at the Independent. Saw them once before open for NIN and didn't really remember them. Then after seeing this show....which was sold-out,...I see why I forgot them. I guess I just don't dig the whole distortion/'My Bloody Valentine' sound so much...except that I do dig Sonic Youth.
    These folks were not so hot on stage. The crowd was packed, but not responsive. I was bored and left before the first encore.

Recent shows seen -
    SIOUXSIE (as in --& The Banshees) wow....much plastic surgery going on with her. she looked like a reject from The Jane Fonda Workout with a space suit on and Loretta Lynn hair. Not the goth queen i saw in '91 at the first Lollapaloza. Her voice is shot. Her body looks hot, but in that kind of 'Cher' rebuilt surgically kind of way. creepy. and not in a good way. Her opener 'RASPUTINA' was a freak show with cellos, stand up bass, great drums and layered vocals. kinda wonderful. They covered 'Bad Moon Rising'....with strings.
    Saw them at The Fillmore

LIARS - Saw this at Slims. Freaky experimental indie band with a singer that sits in a chair most of the show back by the drummer. He is a tall dude with a great voice. good show.

GRACE POTTER AND THE NOCTURNALS - Completely unexpected treat. I sampled her on iTunes and bought a couple songs and got tickets for the show at The Independent figuring it would be like an amped up Norah Jones show. Boy was I wrong. They rocked the 'sold-out' house for over 2.5 hours. Grace herself is an amazing musician playing piano, organ, guitar, bass, and drums. The rest of the band is equally as talented, but not as hot as she is wearing a short short dress and havin a sex kitten/ white trash kinda look goin on. They did two searing covers 'I'm in Tune' by The Who and 'Down By The River' by Neil Young. If they come near you.....run don't walk to get to this show. Blues baby....hard rockin blues, in this show.

MATT COSTA -Saw him at Slims. Don't know why I got tickets.....I guess because he is a 'name' and Slims is a tiny place....but what a lame show.
    Should be similar to Jack Johnson's show which I will, by all means, pass on.

RODRIGO Y GABRIELA - Saw hem at the Warfield and I was bummin cause I wanted to go and see Super Furry Animals with Holy Fuck on the same night. But after two minutes....I knew I was at the right show...damn, can these folks rock.
    I missed them at Coachella last year. Then we tried to see them at Bumbershoot in Seattle but couldn't get near the stage to even see....and now I know why. Really brilliant show.

UPCOMING SHOWS --
    GRAND OLE PARTY - this Sunday at Bottom of the Hill
    SIA - 2/18 at The Fillmore
    THE HIVES - 2/20 at The Fillmore

Default Re: MGMT / BLACK MOUNTAIN / DAN DEACON / BLACK LIPS / AUTOLUX

Oh man I want the Black Keys now....
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

Black lips wwwooooooo!!

you didnt like Matt Costa live? I loved his live show, unfortunately I cant say the same about his new album.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I totally agree about Autolux. I have seen them a few times including at Coachella a few years ago (05) - they just don't bring any spirit or passion to their live performances.

The major difference between them and Sonic Youth is that they seem very preoccupied in appearing cool without putting any real emotion out there. They may use the same pick-ups, distortion and chords, but there the similarities end.

Way too self aware in the "I am hipper than thou" kind of way. Real disappointing considering many of their songs could be great with some added energy and feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by robertljames View Post
    LIARS - Saw this at Slims. Freaky experimental indie band with a singer that sits in a chair most of the show back by the drummer. He is a tall dude with a great voice. good show.
    I think that was just because he recently hurt his back... really bad. Generally he's standing up and doing a lot more. But yeah, Liars are fucking amazing.

Great reviews too.