Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ELBOW - one of the best bands in the world

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: ELBOW - one of the best bands in the world

awww, they have a cube too. how cute.

Luckily, their cube comes with better music.

Elbow take time out from making great music and winning awards to support a good cause:

Elbow, Dizzee Rascal protest against torture by staying silent

Musicians lend weight to human rights campaign

Elbow and Dizzee Rascal have both joined in with a 'silent protest' in opposition to the use of music as torture across the world.

The CIA technique of playing music at deafening volumes for long periods of time as an 'enhanced interrogation technique' has still not been outlawed, despite US President Barack Obama's opposition to torture.

Pressure group Reprieve have instigated the Zero dB campaign in an attempt to force governments and the United Nations to enforce the Convention Against Torture to prevent it.

The petition involves the artists in question filmed standing in silence, with each clip added to create a 'visual petition' of silence. Massive Attack and Doves have already taken part. The video can be viewed at Zerodb.org

Reprieve's director Clive Stafford Smith urged people to take part, saying in a statement: "Torture should have been left in the Middle Ages; yet it rears its head in new forms. Music torture tears people apart mentally – as much as any razorblade. I encourage everyone to join our silent protest against the use of music torture."

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It's because the shows in my sig are the only ones that can fit and they're on 7/22 or something like that. It'll be there in the next week or two.
    I just saw your picture in the obvious place it would be and if you happen to be standing in front of me, I am going to kindly ask you to move, or perhaps boost me on to your shoulders.

Just found out about the LA show on 7/22. I really need to drive out from Phoenix to see them. They probably wont ever come here so LA is my only shot. I've been wanting to see them for forever now.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

I highly suggest it. They won't tour again for another couple years.

Gonna be awesome. Can't decide if I'm more excited for this or for Death Cab with the LA Phil at the Bowl. They're both gonna be spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

live nation still has gen floor tickets on sale, so I'll probably go online tonight and buy one. I was so bummed that they play apw and not coachella this year. Oh well. Seeing at the wiltern should be sweet!!!!!!!!!!! I love all their albums and the latest is excellent. Can't wait to hear the newer tunes live...
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

ill be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Ok, so.....meetup for drinks before?
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

just bought my tickets online for elbow at the wiltern. woohoo! can't wait, can't wait....
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

i received my live nation tickets for elbow in the mail the other day. each ticket is almost the size of a letter envelope. wtf. why couldn't they just send me normal size tickets. fucking live nation.... now something to cheer me up and look foward to...

There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Well, if you haven't listened to Cast of Thousands and Leaders of the Free World definitely do so, they are both amazing albums. But this is a list of the songs they will potentially play at the gig so make sure you are at least familiar with them:

Starlings
    Bones of you
    Mirror Ball
    Leaders of the Free World
    The Stops
    Any Day Now
    The Fix
    Mexican Standoff
    Grounds for divorce
    Loneliness of a tower crane driver
    Switching off
    Station Approach
    Some Riot
    Newborn
    Puncture Repair
    Weather to fly
    One day Like This
    Scattered black and whites
    Those two are still must-see favorites for me, especially Any Day Now. After listening to all of their albums, Asleep in the Back is still the standout, which I'm sure isn't uncommon. Whoever said that they can't get into Elbow and they just sound like Coldplay done a little better couldn't be more wrong. I mean, lyrically first of all they're nothing alike, Garvey is light years ahead of Martin when it comes to that.

So they're probably not gonna play Bitten By The Tailfly? That song is so good!
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

i've got your number...
    as predicted by nostradamus

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Those two are still must-see favorites for me, especially Any Day Now. After listening to all of their albums, Asleep in the Back is still the standout, which I'm sure isn't uncommon. Whoever said that they can't get into Elbow and they just sound like Coldplay done a little better couldn't be more wrong. I mean, lyrically first of all they're nothing alike, Garvey is light years ahead of Martin when it comes to that.

So they're probably not gonna play Bitten By The Tailfly? That song is so good!
    Agreed, I love Any Day Now. Asleep in the Back has ton of great tracks on it...

...I agree with you as well about the Coldplay thing. The only reason Coldplay sounds anything like Elbow is that Chris Martin likes Elbow, and has openly admitted copying them. Garvey is indeed light years ahead...

"There's a hole in my neighbourhood down which of late I cannot help but fall"

I wish they would play this track from their second album, but it's not going to happen:

Last edited by BlackSwan; 07-01-2009 at 11:00 AM.

I don't care. Elbow still sounds like Coldplay to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

You could also say Radiohead sounds like Coldplay sometimes. I just don't understand how that makes them bad. If you don't like somewhat melancholy music played by Brits then you just don't like it, but it doesn't make it inherently bad music.
    Last edited by BlackSwan; 07-01-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Since Jesca Hoop is opening for Elbow at the LA show, I have a feeling he'll be out with her to do this charming lil' duet:

You could also say Radiohead sounds like Coldplay sometimes. I just don't understand how that makes them bad. If you don't like somewhat melancholy music played by Brits then you just don't like it, but it doesn't make it inherently bad music.
    I didn't say Elbow was bad. I don't care too much if they are good or bad or what. I listened, I heard Coldplay, but I kept listening, and I didnt' hear anything to really change my mind. Then I stopped listening.

As for the Radiohead/Coldplay thing, well, I could say the Beatles sound a lot like the Monkees, too.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Do you listen to a lot music that could also be considered similar to Coldplay, or Elbow? If you don't enjoy that type of music, then you don't really have much of a frame of reference to hear the differences.

I avoid Coldplay at all costs. They are dreadfully bad. Insipid, trite, sentimental tripe.

That doesn't really answer your question. I don't know who else you would consider "sounds like Coldplay".

I think we are going the wrong direction if I need to come up with bands that sound like Coldplay, because I don't listen to any others. I was more thinking other somewhat melancholy music played by Brits, or at times Britpop... Doves, Radiohead, Blur, The Beta Band, etc.

But my real question now is, if you avoid Coldplay at all cost, how can you compare other bands to them? How much Coldplay have you really listened to?

It is starting to sound like you can't identify with music that has certain kinds of emotion in it.

I can't identify with the shit that is Coldplay. I tried. I actually bought one of their albums. The issue is not the emotion. The issue is that they are really, really bad artists. Their music is tired, cliche'd, and overwrought. The lyrics are bad high school poetry defined. Taken together and you have dramatic lightweight fluff. There's nothing there of substance.

I doubt Elbow is that bad or maybe nowhere even close to the same as what I just described. When I tried to listen to them though I heard the same sort of overwrought music, but less cliche'd singing. Maybe I'd decide they were good if I tried more. I dunno. I have a lot of music to listen to and based on what I've heard so far Elbow is not way up there on the priority list.

I like Radiohead a lot. I like Beta Band a lot. I didn't hear anything like them when I listened to Elbow though.

Listen to the first album. It's a completely Coldplay free experience (as any good album should be).
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

That's a good suggestion.

If the first song on the first album doesn't grab you, none of the rest of their catalog will. It's very intense, yet beautiful. Calming, yet haunting. I can't describe it any differently than that.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This is the song...

...Now there is no excuse not to listen to it.

Saw somewhere online before that showed Elbow having two opening bands for the LA show. Now I can't remember where I saw it. Does anyone know who the openers are? Or where they list it online?
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

...Now there is no excuse not to listen to it.
    Embedding disabled by request.

In my opinion, Asleep In the Back is one of the absolute best albums of the last 10 years, the moment I heard it, I absolutely loved it...and seeing them at Coachella '02, I was awestruck by the beauty of their set

I really hope I'm able to get to this LA show
    '99-'11...

'Magical And Moving' - Elbow And The Halle Orchestra Triumph At Manchester International Festival

A production four years in the making, Elbow strode last Wednesday onto the Bridgewater Hall stage as bedraggled, nervous Bury blokes, but left all-conquering kings of Manchester International Festival.

Aided by the Halle Orchestra (another Manchester-born institution) and Salford-bred conductor Joe Duddell, main man Guy Garvey was on miraculous form, delivering a note-perfect performance confirming him as one of the most gifted vocalists this country possesses.

‘Station Approach’ opens, a Manc-anthem about returning home to your mum, followed by ‘Mirrorball’, a sumptuous ballad propelled by Halle’s youth choir and greeted by showers of affection by an astonished hall.

Highlights come thick and fast: ‘Grounds for Divorce’ is fired with Bad Seeds-esque rock gristle, ‘Some Riot’ is a touching, teary-eyed tribute to late muse Bryan Glancy, and ‘Weather To Fly’ asks: “Are we having the time of our lives?/Are we coming across fine?” The Bridgewater’s fervent end of set reaction said it all.

Elbow’s second half didn’t disappoint. The choir-augmented ‘Grace Under Pressure’ segued into the string-laden ‘Starlings’, while ‘Scattered Black and Whites’ and ‘Newborn’ nod to their early genius.

As scripted, ‘One Day Like This’ brought the house down, Garvey leading a sea of joyous, waving arms, resulting in a 10 minute standing ovation. Well deserved, too. This was a magical, moving performance.

Four and five-star reviews all around...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-1738198.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...er-review.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...w-halle-review

It's a shame this was completely sold out by the time I heard about it, or I would have been there.
    Last edited by BlackSwan; 07-14-2009 at 11:10 AM.