Thread: IT hardware geek help

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default IT hardware geek help

I know some of yout out there are IT geeks. I'm sick and fucking tired of hard drives dying on me. I'm too lazy to keep juggling data around to back it up so I'm ready to set up a RAID 5 array with the ability to swap out drives. Does anyone have any experience using XP's RAID 5 utility? Do all the drives have to be identical size? If XP is managing the RAID 5 is it possible to migrate the same drives to another machine and have them function the same way?
    Other than XP are there better software solutions? Is it better to just buy a multi-bay case and do the whole thing with hardware?
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-11-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: IT hardware geek help

did you lose your hard drive

Young blood

I have no idea. Dont know why im posting here. My buddy was deep into this I guess I should have listened closer.

Here is an easy solution.

http://www.amazon.com/EX475-MediaSma...2766276&sr=1-2

It has been a while since i did this, so i don't how much help i will be.

The drives don't have to be the same, but you will only get to use the ammount of the smallest drive. It makes things much simplier though if they are all the same. i haven't used the multi-bays but i believe you still need to set it up in XP, they just make swapping drives out eaisier. I think the XP software is good enough to get the job done. I have never used any other software for setting up RAIDs.

Moving the array from one machine to another is not easy because of the set up. Possibly with a multi-bay you could move the array from machine to machine, but i don't know. Let me know this makes any sense or if I am just rambling on like a crazy person
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Jack, I told you many times, Maxtor drives suck ass.

Yeah Menik is right Maxtor sucks hairy donkey balls
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Western Digital all the way baby. 4 years and kickin on a couple of these drives.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    The ones that have broken recently were Seagate. both lasted only just over a year. The only Maxtor I've still got has been running for 3 years.

It's not about the drive make though. I'm resigned to the fact that they'll all break.

I just want a RAID setup so I don't have to juggle data around and can replace them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I only use Maxtor drives. They don't die on me like Western Digital or IBM. Well, Hitachi bought the IBM "deathstar" line, maybe they make good drives now.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Western Digital all the way baby. 4 years and kickin on a couple of these drives.
    I think everybody's experience differs. Every Western Digital drive I have had the "pleasure" of using has died a horrible death.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I know some of yout out there are IT geeks. I'm sick and fucking tired of hard drives dying on me. I'm too lazy to keep juggling data around to back it up so I'm ready to set up a RAID 5 array with the ability to swap out drives. Does anyone have any experience using XP's RAID 5 utility? Do all the drives have to be identical size? If XP is managing the RAID 5 is it possible to migrate the same drives to another machine and have them function the same way?
    Other than XP are there better software solutions? Is it better to just buy a multi-bay case and do the whole thing with hardware?
    It is supposed to be better to use a hardware solution. There is less overhead on the OS, and it should be faster. However, I have never done this myself. If you buy one of the network storage solutions with RAID5, you can access it from any computer. If you have the $$ some of these solutions allow hot-swapping, so you don't even have to turn off your computer to replace the HDD.

I think you still need to back up your data though.

Do you do a lot of P2P file-sharing? Do you use Internet Explorer a lot? I have found that both of those will wear out the HDD. Do you turn your system off each night? I don't want to recommend leaving it on, but I leave mine on 24/7; the HDD will wear out a little faster from the stress of powering up more often, and there can be thermal changes.

My last advice is to look at the warranty on the drives you buy. If the drive has a longer warranty (3-5 years) it's more likely to be a good drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    I have no idea. Dont know why im posting here. My buddy was deep into this I guess I should have listened closer.

Here is an easy solution.

http://www.amazon.com/EX475-MediaSma...2766276&sr=1-2
    Yeah thats pretty slick but you could do the same thing using Ubuntu for like half the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The ones that have broken recently were Seagate. both lasted only just over a year. The only Maxtor I've still got has been running for 3 years.

It's not about the drive make though. I'm resigned to the fact that they'll all break.

I just want a RAID setup so I don't have to juggle data around and can replace them easily.
    Yeah my 250GB seagate died recently. It was about 18 months old.