Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Default Re: Breaking Bad

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    That's true. It just doesn't show him grappling with that much.
    Have you been paying attention? Much of the season has been devoted to this. Someone already mentioned the parties at his house. What about his silence through most of the episode in which Gus sliced Victor's throat? Or his reaction when Walt asked him how he killed Gale.

Toward the end of season 3, Jesse says he's not a killer. He then kills a seemingly innocent man and follows this up with bizarre and rather emotionless behavior. Connect the simple dots, my tall friend.

Anyway....

I started watching this series about a week and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. I'm finally caught up. It seems to me, and probably most folks, that one of the logical leaps is Hank finding out that Walter is really Heisenberg. Or, at least, involved in the operation. Getting to that point is pretty tense. I'm also intrigued by what Gus intends to do with Jesse and Walt. I'm probably wrong, but I thought that maybe Gus was trying to see if Jesse was really that valuable to Walt. That's why he's making him do jobs with Mike. Maybe running a cost/benefit analysis....in a Gus sort of way.

I'm also a dork and like seeing Albuquerque showcased. I recognize the landmarks in most of the scenes. I live maybe 5 minutes from the car wash, and drive past it nearly every day. Walt taught where I went to high school. Hank's shootout with Tuco's cousins took place in the parking lot where I used to work. This is probably nothing novel for people in LA and New York, but it's still kind of wild seeing my city as the setting of the show I love.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    Have you been paying attention? Much of the season has been devoted to this. Someone already mentioned the parties at his house. What about his silence through most of the episode in which Gus sliced Victor's throat? Or his reaction when Walt asked him how he killed Gale.

Toward the end of season 3, Jesse says he's not a killer. He then kills a seemingly innocent man and follows this up with bizarre and rather emotionless behavior. Connect the simple dots, my tall friend.
    Yeah, I can be a bit dense at times. In hindsight it's pretty obvious.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm also a dork and like seeing Albuquerque showcased. I recognize the landmarks in most of the scenes. I live maybe 5 minutes from the car wash, and drive past it nearly every day. Walt taught where I went to high school. Hank's shootout with Tuco's cousins took place in the parking lot where I used to work. This is probably nothing novel for people in LA and New York, but it's still kind of wild seeing my city as the setting of the show I love.
    that's so rad.

wonder if Walt's lung cancer will rear its ugly head again in season 5.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM THE DANGER." Fuck yeah, Walt. Fuck yeah.

This season continues to insist on sputtering along though...

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Dude, you're, like, the only person who thinks that. And you also thought they weren't really addressing the fact that Jesse killed a guy, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

I admit the brain fart on the Jesse thing. But I have quite a few friends I talk to regularly about the show who agree about this season's tortoise-like pace. Back off a tad.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM THE DANGER." Fuck yeah, Walt. Fuck yeah.
    I had to laugh when Walt said that. I think he's pretty delusional and probably overestimates his abilities in this realm. That's been a theme throughout the series. It's funny how he can say "I am the danger" when Mike has consistently treated him like a little kid (as one of the articles on the previous page stated).

I admit the brain fart on the Jesse thing. But I have quite a few friends I talk to regularly about the show who agree about this season's tortoise-like pace. Back off a tad.
    There aren't shootings every episode, but they're telling a good story and setting things up. If you're just concerned about the action, then I think you're missing a lot of what makes this show so good.

I'm definitely interested in what Gus really plans to do with Jesse. Mike gave a look like he maybe saw something in Jesse, when Jesse took it upon himself to get their product back from those meth heads, but I don't quite know what Gus thinks.

We're also seeing Walt's ego pop up, what with the drunken comment about Gale not being a genius and Heisenberg probably still being out there. It's things like that that may lead to Hank finally figuring out that Walt is Heisenberg, or involved with the production of blue crystal in some way. Or not. I'm looking forward to finding out, though.

If you think this is going at a slow pace, well, I suggest you adjust your attention span.

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    wonder if Walt's lung cancer will rear its ugly head again in season 5.
    Good food for thought, bleep. At this point, I often forget he even has lung cancer. I can see it hitting him hard by the end of the series. Maybe the final episode could be centered around him dying of cancer. It's hard to speculate, but I think his cancer could rear its ugly head at some point.
    Last edited by TommyboyUNM; 08-22-2011 at 11:50 AM.

You win, internet. I ordered the first season Blu-ray today.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I think this season's going at a slow pace, too. It's not for a lack of action, though. There were a lot of things that I liked about Breaking Bad in the beginning: the comedy of Walt and Jessie fumbling around in their attempts to make money, Walt using his knowledge in chemistry to come up with clever answers to their problems, and Walt's struggle with a cancer that was really eating away at him.

I mean, I'm still enjoying this season. I'm especially liking Hank's progress on the case (it seems like he's going to target Gus soon), and I'm interested in where Mike and Jessie's "relationship" might go... Otherwise, a lot of the things I really loved about the show aren't really happening anymore. Walt and Jessie hardly interact anymore, and when they do, it's pretty much the same stuff of Jessie slipping down the spiral (without the humor). All the focus on the chemistry is pretty much gone. No more stuff like the acid bath, the explosions he made, the stuff he used to cut the lock... I mean, it was cool that he was always using his chemistry knowledge. I know he can't do that all the time, but all the chemistry was part of what originally attracted me to the show... And as for the cancer, I also forget that he has it.

I am interested in Walt and Skyler adapting to the criminal lifestyle, but I'm not as interested in it as the other stuff. I'm also not as interested in the big crime life scenario made by Gus' Pollos empire, as I was in Walt and Jessie driving around in an RV.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

What Alchemy said. A friend of mine just said last night that it's hard to believe that the show that had a bloody bathtub fall through a ceiling on the second episode has spent the last five focusing on a car wash.

I am enjoying it though, and I know Gilligan has his reasons for what he does and more than anything else can't wait to see how it all pans out.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The murder capital where we murder for capital

It sounds like you are intersted in the story staying the same and not evolving...which to me would make it rather inane. The car wash is more of a distraction for Walt and something he could give two fucks about though it keeps the wife occupied. In many ways Skylar reminds me of Carmella in the Sopranos. When she's involved and part of the plan, she's content or able to distract herself enough to not focus on the disturbing behaviors of the spouse (that she most certainly knows are going on) or more simply, both characters loved the benefits of their husbands illegal activities and the more benefits the more they think they can live with their husbands criminal behavior. The car wash paved the way for Skylar and Walt to repair their relationship and paid off in many wonderfully acted scenes between the two.
    Last edited by faxman75; 08-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    It sounds like you are intersted in the story staying the same and not evolving
    No.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Im also pretty bored with this season, alchemy explained it well. I know its going somewhere good but feel like the subplots are kind of lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

No.
    I agree with Fax, though. That's how it's coming across. The characters and story are evolving. Given the circumstances, they probably aren't going to interact with each other the same way. They probably wouldn't behave the same way they did, in general, at the beginning of the series. If it was a series that shot episodes sort of independent from one another, I could go along with some of the criticism. But this is a cohesive story drawn out over 5 seasons. It would become very stale to see the same scenarios and personalities. I'm glad Walt and Jesse didn't stay in the RV all series. It wouldn't have done anything to further the overall story. It would be rather limiting, I think. That's a lot of what I like about this series. Aside from a few things (Jesse's use of "yo" and "bitch," etc...), not everything is put into a nice comfy box. It's not a series you can just rejoin after missing a couple of episodes. I think what you guys may prefer is a series that allows you to do just that.

tl;dr: Fuck you and your criticisms.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

GAH i need to start watching this season.

FYI, if you've noticed Bryan Cranston doing the VO for Burger king commercial about the California Whopper, I recorded those last week. He was just in an hour ago doing more for a different BK product.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

I think what you guys may prefer is a series that allows you to do just that.
    You and Faxy sure are good at putting words in people's mouths. Neither I nor anyone who shares the same sentiments once mentioned wishing the same scenarios would happen over and over again.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Not putting words in your mouth. I said "I think what you guys may prefer..." Meaning it's my opinion that you're conveying these things. Stop putting words in my mouth and accusing me of putting words in your mouth, yo.

Then you shouldn't say "What Alchemy said" because part of what he said was..

Otherwise, a lot of the things I really loved about the show aren't really happening anymore.
    He then went on to discuss a bunch of things that have already occurred within the plot and character developments. As new situations and circumstances arise the characters are going to evolve with how they approach the new subjects being dealt with.

Jessie has a death wish at this point and the drugs have made it so he doesn't feel anymore. He's not going to be having passionate lessons about bombs and chemistry with Walt at this point. Walt is living in fear and not trusting anyone or anything all the while trying to transition into moving back home with his wife and kid. His new fear is being murdered, it took the place of his old fear, dying of cancer. A midst all of this drama we have Hank figuring out how to have any passion in his life now that he's a parapalegic, his wife out trying to live her sexless life that has no passion or attention given to her and so on. Meahwhile Sal is half tempted to skip town at the drop of a hat and is just as paranoid if not more so than Walt. Gus is doing what he has alway done, running his business and keeping his emotion out of it all because he's relentless and focused on profit.

I will agree with you that the car wash aspect of the story isn't all the interesting but it has hardly ruined the rest of the story and it makes sense they follow up on it and occupy Skylar, this is her baby. There hasn't been a lack of violence this season by any stretch of the imagination. I would also argue Gus' slice and dice was even more memorable and a better scene than the bathtub crashing through the floor.
    Last edited by faxman75; 08-22-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Then you shouldn't say "What Alchemy said" because part of what he said was...
    Touche.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It sounds like you are intersted in the story staying the same and not evolving...
    I understand that Walt and Jessie staying in the RV all this time would have made it redundant, but that's not really what I'm saying. I mean that I preferred that point in the show because it felt more surprising to me - all those things I mentioned, the chemistry and the RV adventures and even how the cancer worked into all of it...

You're all right that something needed to happen to them, to put them into more danger, to toss their lives in more of a mix - otherwise, those RV adventures would have gotten old... but I think that this whole Pollos-period is the show evolving into something I'd expect from a show about cooking meth. That is, money laundering, conflict in the family, and the way a criminal enterprise will endanger everybody's life. To me, that goes hand-in-hand with building a meth empire, and so I'm not as captivated. I mean, I still love the show, because I do like all those things that I mentioned - even if they're not as surprising.

Anyway, Faxy, do you really think the boxcutter scene was better than the bathtub scene? I think there are a ton of instances where the bad boss punishes one of his lackeys instead of the good guys... but a freaking bathtub filled with a liquified human crashing down from the ceiling!? That's been my favorite part of the entire show.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I would also argue Gus' slice and dice was even more memorable and a better scene than the bathtub crashing through the floor.
    The bathtub scene was excellent, but I think I prefer Gus' slice of Victor even more. It's all about buildup for me. The Gus scene was so tense leading up to the slice. I didn't know what to expect while that scene was developing. Sure Gus was the bad boss, but t's not like he had shown a willingness to get his hands dirty before that. They portrayed him as strictly a business man, not a killer. And to kill Victor was out of the blue for me. But not so out of the blue that it ruined the flow of events. The bathtub scene was more shocking in how it looked. To me, that scene felt more comical and not real tense.

Well, Gus' slice was a great scene. It's been my favorite of this season so far, even though it wasn't so out of the blue for me... I had a feeling he was going to kill the guy as soon as he came into the lab.

But damn, that bathtub scene is still my favorite. And it totally was a comical thing, but the whole drama of the guy locked in the basement did a superb job of balancing out the humor.

Alchemy, it was like Tommy said about the buildup. I loved how slow and deliberate that scene was. Every step, the changing of the clothes, the careful yet messy demonstration of how to handle a situation with someone he no longer trusts. It was really a beautiful scene. The bathtub falling through the roof was more of a "holy shit ha" type reaction. I preferred the methodical actions of Gus. Up until that point we had only heard or could guess how evil of a guy Gus is. In fact we could have speculated he didn't do much of the dirty work at all anymore since he's a professional business owner, always wearing well tailored clothes and he is soft spoken. Gus doesn't like to get his hands dirty but he did it to make a point and send his message to those there to witness.

How long has it been now since Walt was told by his doctor that there are no longer signs of cancer in his body? That did happen right? That's not some half asleep stoner hallucination I had....

I thought it was late last season.

The doctor said the cancer regressed by 80%, which is a whole hell of a lot, then he had surgery. After the surgery, I don't remember them really exploring the cancer angle very much. I'm not sure about the timeline. Maybe 5 months or so? I'm just going by how big Holly (the baby) looks now because I think his surgery was around the time she was born.

Also, I have to say, I can't stand Walt Jr. Are we supposed to have some sort of attachment to him? I certainly don't. He's a brat and I don't think it would really make me flinch if he was killed off. He's the only character in the show I don't like. I can even pick out interesting things about Marie.

Stop picking on the crips, Tommy.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Stop picking on the crips, Tommy.
    My apologies, TallGuy.

About Walt Jr., I do like how he's trying to defend Walt's "gambling." I think it would be interesting to see if Walt Jr. had to find justification for Walt being a meth cook, but who knows how that will go down (if it goes down).

He really is the most useless character on the show.

Can Walt stop being so super obvious too? Is he really so fucking retarded that he can't let it slide when Hank says Gale was brilliant? I don't care how drunk he was.

I hope the show ends with Gus having Walt's entire familiy murdered while Walt continues to live and cook.

You know what would nicely complement the bleakness of watching these characters spiral into despair and hopelessness? More hijinks.