Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 2637

Thread: Breaking Bad

Default Re: Breaking Bad

Godammit Xan

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Why the fuck would Jesse take a bunch of drug money in light of everything that happened this season?? Terrible thematic conclusion if they had done that.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Godammit Xan

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Godammit Xan
    I laughed
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Breaking Bed-Stuy - Someone's crush rendered in yarn spotted an hour ago just a few blocks from my apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

The finale ultimately rung hollow for me. I honestly feel like Gilligan would have left the show with a stronger ending with Ozymandias instead of bringing Walt back into a space of some sort of likability by providing for his family and rescuing Jesse. I was also disappointed that the characters of Flynn and Skyler ultimately seemed unresolved -- I was hoping for something a little meatier at some point during this series but Gilligan seemed content to use them as shallow foils for Walt.

Things I did like about the finale:
    - Jesse as Jesus-like carpenter, which served to both reward long-time viewers as a reference to Jesse's box he built in shop class for his mother but then sold for weed instead of giving to her, and also served provide a sort of religious allegory (Jesus was a carpenter, Pinkman suffers for the sins of Walt, etc).
    - The choice to bring Badger and Skinny Pete back (that pair seem to be pulled straight out of the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern playbook to me).
    - The beautifully haunting sequence with Walt in the snow-covered car waiting for the police lights to recede in the distance, and the visual tie-in to the repeated theme of blue ice.
    - Walt's spot-on impression of the reporter while on the phone with the Gray Matter administrative assistant lady. (Do any of you have any theories as to why Walt removed his watch?)

Also, on first view, seeing the camera pull back from Walt's body in a sort of classic drifty overhead shot made me think he had finally decided to try his baby blue, and had gone out on a meth overdose. Which would have been a pretty fantastic way to end-- really hitting home that his one true love was the product all along. But as the camera pulled back and I realized there were no tell-tale signs or paraphernalia, I realized I was probably wrong.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Why the fuck would Jesse take a bunch of drug money in light of everything that happened this season?? Terrible thematic conclusion if they had done that.
    beyond that, we all agree that walt intended to take jesse out until he saw he was a, you know, meth cooking slave.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    beyond that, we all agree that walt intended to take jesse out until he saw he was a, you know, meth cooking slave.
    I don't think so. That maybe the most ambiguous part of the finale -- whether or not Walt has finally come to terms with how his monster enslaved Jesse.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

It was a good ending, very fan-pleasing, but in some ways almost fan-pleasing to a fault. I thought they hit perfect notes with Walt's final confession to Skyler, and with Jesse's refusal to do Walt's bidding after he saved him. At the end of the day, the Nazis, and Todd, and Lydia were characters who were brought on to the end of the show as a means of ending the show. It's hard to feel invested in the resolution of the story with their demise. For me, the narrative and thematic elements of the show were all satisfied (and better satisfied) in "Ozymandias." I like that Walt was made to suffer and look small in that episode. The Taxi Driver/Pulp Fiction redemption-through-massacre ending of the finale felt in some ways tacked on to all of the richness that came earlier.

An interesting parallel I thought of last night: my favorite episode of season 4, maybe the entire series, was "Crawl Space," where Walt absolutely loses it when he realizes Fring has got him and he's seemingly lost everything; two episodes later in "Face Off," Walt emerges victorious against Fring in a grand spectacle of a MacGuvyer action set piece, and I really didn't like it all that much. Something similar happened for me with this season as well, right down to the chronology of the episodes. I always thought this show was at its best when it reveled in despair rather than triumph. And although Walt met his end (was there any doubt he would?), his it ultimately felt more triumphal than dreadful.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I don't think so. That maybe the most ambiguous part of the finale -- whether or not Walt has finally come to terms with how his monster enslaved Jesse.
    there should have been a question mark in there, but it seemed the one time walt lost any control in the finale was when he confronted jack about partnering with jesse. it was the one thing he was wrong about.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

I thought he was stalling for time, but I can see it going either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

It was a good ending, very fan-pleasing, but in some ways almost fan-pleasing to a fault. I thought they hit perfect notes with Walt's final confession to Skyler, and with Jesse's refusal to do Walt's bidding after he saved him. At the end of the day, the Nazis, and Todd, and Lydia were characters who were brought on to the end of the show as a means of ending the show. It's hard to feel invested in the resolution of the story with their demise. For me, the narrative and thematic elements of the show were all satisfied (and better satisfied) in "Ozymandias." I like that Walt was made to suffer and look small in that episode. The Taxi Driver/Pulp Fiction redemption-through-massacre ending of the finale felt in some ways tacked on to all of the richness that came earlier.

An interesting parallel I thought of last night: my favorite episode of season 4, maybe the entire series, was "Crawl Space," where Walt absolutely loses it when he realizes Fring has got him and he's seemingly lost everything; two episodes later in "Face Off," Walt emerges victorious against Fring in a grand spectacle of a MacGuvyer action set piece, and I really didn't like it all that much. Something similar happened for me with this season as well, right down to the chronology of the episodes. I always thought this show was at its best when it reveled in despair rather than triumph. And although Walt met his end (was there any doubt he would?), his it ultimately felt more triumphal than dreadful.

IMO it wasn't "more triumphal than dreadful", it was a pretty much a total triumph. Walt got pretty much everything he set out for minus the things he couldn't give to the folks who wouldn't let him. He gave Skyler and Jesse all he could (after they paid their price for not getting with the program, and it wasn't even Walt who made them pay it).

not at all agreed. Don't believe at all that Walt intended to take Jesse out. The "Jesse's your partner" bit was a desperate stall tactic. Do you really think he was stupid enough to believe that Jack would "partner" with Jesse? He didn't have to see Jesse all fucked up to know that he was working as a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    IMO it wasn't "more triumphal than dreadful", it was a pretty much a total triumph. Walt got pretty much everything he set out for minus the things he couldn't give to the folks who wouldn't let him. He gave Skyler and Jesse all he could (after they paid their price for not getting with the program, and it wasn't even Walt who made them pay it).
    Yes -- this was pretty much the best possible ending Walt could have hoped for. He gave his family money, killed the dudes he hated, didn't have to go to jail, and Heisenberg's legacy will live on (I can see the booby-trapped trunk gun set-up becoming the stuff of lore and urban legend). There was no way Walt was going to live, so given that he had to die, he pretty much got everything he could have wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post
    dumb ass apparently missed the part where Walt had the package with him in the snow covered car.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Do any of you have any theories as to why Walt removed his watch?
    Gilligan said there were 2 explanations. The first is that when they shot the season 5 premiere, he didn't have his watch on and for continuity sake, he took it off. the second reason was that it was a gift from Jesse on his 51st birthday and he didn't like it anymore. I think it was because he was on borrowed time and knowing what time it was just didn't matter to him any more.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Vince states this in the making of video http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/vi...ing-bad-felina

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I forgive every error or shortcut in the finale for two perfect moments

"It was for me. I liked it. I was good it it. I was... alive".

and this:

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    Gilligan said there were 2 explanations. The first is that when they shot the season 5 premiere, he didn't have his watch on and for continuity sake, he took it off. the second reason was that it was a gift from Jesse on his 51st birthday and he didn't like it anymore. I think it was because he was on borrowed time and knowing what time it was just didn't matter to him any more.
    To me, the second reason (gift from Jesse) only would have made sense if Walt had removed the watch a few episodes ago.

I forgive every error or shortcut in the finale for two perfect moments

"It was for me. I liked it. I was good it it. I was... alive".

and this:
    I think the scene-stealer line for me would be: "You're going to need a bigger knife."

Although bringing Gretchen and Elliot into the finale seemed a little bit forced to me -- they were there to serve as a way to get the money to Flynn, but Gilligan never really resolved Walt's relationship with them or what DID happen to cause such a rift in the Gray Matter days.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I think the scene-stealer line for me would be: "You're going to need a bigger knife."
    He was really channeling Mike in that scene.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

not at all agreed. Don't believe at all that Walt intended to take Jesse out. The "Jesse's your partner" bit was a desperate stall tactic. Do you really think he was stupid enough to believe that Jack would "partner" with Jesse? He didn't have to see Jesse all fucked up to know that he was working as a slave.
    On Talking Bad, (someone) stated that Walt intended to take Jesse out until he saw that he was enslaved and decided to save him, and Vince was nodding in agreement. Not saying this is a definite confirmation...just pointing it out.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    On Talking Bad, (someone) stated that Walt intended to take Jesse out until he saw that he was enslaved and decided to save him, and Vince was nodding in agreement. Not saying this is a definite confirmation...just pointing it out.
    I thought this was surmised just from Walt's voice tone and facial expression when he reacts to learning that Jesse is still alive. He probably figured out the forced partnership in the process though, serving as an excuse to piss off Jack and making him bring Jesse to the room, giving Walt just the right amount of distraction needed to conveniently grab his keys.

That was a good one too, but I think that was mainly thrown in there as the dude's punishment. He belittled Walt in front of the nation, but at least Walt could emasculate him in front of his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    maybe. But Vince may have just been politely nodding at the interpretation. Walt didn't go back for the money, he didn't go back to kill Jesse, he went to eliminate the nazi's as a threat to his family/revenge (perhaps in equal measure). Saving Jesse was a bonus, I see absolutely nothing in any of the writing so far that would suggest to me Walt still needed to settle that score. In fact I still think Walt felt guilty about what he said to Jesse the last time they saw each other. The only reason Walt screamed about Jack not filling his part of the bargain was to stall them from shooting him before he could reach his car keys.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 09-30-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Either way, I'm glad he saved him. That was really what I wanted in the end.

But I really felt bad for Walt Jr. He got no closure. Last words to his father were that he wished he would just die already. He looked so sad limping up to the door of that shitty apartment in those crutches.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Hopefully that money cures a little of his pain
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I just wish he could've known that Walt never killed Hank or Gomez. I know he killed a lot more people, but Hank's death was the one that really seemed to destroy his son. At least he got to see him one last time even if he didn't get to speak to him or hug him.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Hopefully that money cures a little of his pain
    maybe he'll develop a drug problem.

Yes. What ever will become of this fictional character's future now that the show they were on ceases to exist?

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival