Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Default Re: Breaking Bad

Don't know what to make of Gus' encounter with Jesse outside the Diner, as well as asking Mike how he did.

Also, I looked WAY too much into the whole digging scene. lol.

Walts paranoia is looking to be getting the best of him, and his tranformation into Heisenberg is becoming more and more common. From the "I AM THE DANGER" scene to something as simple as the "As is" Dollar scene. Curious where that will go...
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    My apologies, TallGuy.
    Ba dum ching.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I think Mike is growing on Jesse. I think something might happen where Jesse really does save his life or something like that. Maybe somewhere down the line, Gus will want Jesse dead, but Mike will protect him.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

man I'm late to this party. Started watching season 1 a few days ago and got hooked right away. In the middle of S2 now. I can't read this thread past page 2 for spoilers. Glad I have 4 seasons to work my way through.
    This and "Louie" are my favorite shows on tv right now.

boom. atta boy, hank. jesse's steve aoki fashion faux pas is momentarily forgotten.

writer(s) gave the guys some shitty names. Walter, Jesse, Walt Jr., Gale, Mike. Gals made off with Skyler and Marie.
    100% Caffeinated

The fuck are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    boom. atta boy, hank. jesse's steve aoki fashion faux pas is momentarily forgotten.
    Hah, apparently Aaron Paul is a big Aoki fan. No accounting for music taste, I guess.

I did not expect Hank to be on to Gus already. I like that turn in the action. Things are getting very intriguing, what with that and wondering if Jesse will eventually try to kill Gus. Maybe someone from the cartel will do it first? No shootouts or anything, but the story is evolving into something that still has me.

Side note: Why couldn't Walt Jr. have been in the car when Walt blew it up. Too much to ask? =)

Aaron Paul's favorite television show was 'Lost' and he said he predicted how it would end all along. Lying sack of shit. Via LA Times blurb last week.
    100% Caffeinated

bastard machine for episode 7:

Do you hear that barking?

There’s something in Jesse’s head, making a noise, unwilling to go away. There’s something south of the border that sounds ominous. There’s even a yapping revolt inside of Walt’s ego, but what else is new, right? And there’s the biggest bark of all – announcing the triumphant return of Hank.

Yep, there’s more than one problem dog in Breaking Bad’s latest episode, “Problem Dog.” This was an episode that proved even the unflappable, coiled intensity of Gus Fring could start to frazzle. And it was also an episode that let viewers look clearly into how the writers shift the pieces/characters around the story board.

“Problem Dog” opens on Jesse’s continued mental issues, his decision to subvert his morality and accept that he’s a killer and there’s no redemption in that. We then get the pettiness of Walt’s ego – his being forced by Skyler to return the Challenger is like being scolded. And even though Walt was wearing the dreary beige-brown get-up he used to wear when he was the epitome of milquetoast in Season 1, he wasn’t going to take that chiding without lashing back.

By doing donuts in a parking lot.

And then lighting the car on fire and watching it blow up. Take that, Skyler.

But what “Problem Dog” did with a swift economy of storytelling was tighten the circle of doom surrounding Gus. See, Hank is back in a big way – from two-handed walker to one-handed walker and the unwavering conviction that he’s putting a puzzle together at the same time he’s getting his body back together. And that puzzle links Gus to the meth lab (and, by default, Heisenberg to Walter White). And if Hank doesn’t get him first, Gus is fooling himself if he thinks he can buy off the Mexican drug cartel with a mere $50 million.

It was such a great comeback for Hank, even if viewers were left to piece together the fact that he’s only partially paralyzed – able to leave a wheel-chair with enough physical therapy and grit one can muster. I’m not sure that’s the most believable element we’ve ever seen in Breaking Bad, but if they leave Hank dragging one bad leg while gutting it out on the other, I suppose that’s acceptable. I just don’t want to see him running down Gus in the season finale.

Still, it was hard not to root for him. Despite the fact Hank is a blow-hard (and his reunion with “Gomey” only highlighted how juvenile he used to be in the guise of being a bad ass), he’s still a stone-cold solid detective. And he’s clearly pieced this Gus Is the Meth Master thing together nicely. (Don’t you worry, though, that having the big boss shaking hands with a meth mastermind who is pretending to be a friend of law enforcement is the kind of career derailment someone in upper-management might want to screw with to save their own ass? We shall see.)

In what was the equivalent of giving a signal to the viewers at home that they could rise-up for some fist-pumping, the episode ended sublimely with Hank, knowing he’s got a big fish on the line, raising his eyebrows in the most subtle show of cockiness we should ever expect from him.

The Gus issue is interesting in so many ways. I mean, you can see what the writers were doing here. They knew they had to shift gears and that would require Gus and Hank, neither of them the prime players, get most of the screen time. So they had to give Walt and then Walt and Skyler, their small (but important) moments. They had to keep Jesse close to the central action, but used primarily for the beginning and ending scenes of interior woe. But Gus can no longer be the shadowy puppet-master who pulls all the right strings at the right time. We obviously got a glimpse of how he acts, via Victor’s death, when he’s infuriated that things don’t go his way. And it’s essential to the story that they don’t go his way, otherwise Breaking Bad becomes a story about a meth maker who gets the ultimate job in a super lab and awaits his gold-watch retirement ceremony (or death from cancer, whatever comes first.) And if Breaking Bad has shown us anything it’s that creator Vince Gilligan and his writers are voracious in chewing up story – of frantically moving the various plot arcs forward in crazy, trapped-in-a-corner kind of way. That they’ve been this patient with the Walt-and-Jesse-working-for-Gus storyline is kind of amazing. But they have now sufficiently shaken things up. Something’s gonna blow.

In many ways, Gus is Walt’s new cancer. “He will see me dead. All that’s left is to wait,” Walt tells Saul. Waiting to die is not something Walt likes, so he’s acting out. He’s desperately trying to unleash his inner bad-ass, but as I said last week, Walt is not the one who knocks.

Gus, on the other hand, is at a crossroads. He’s being insulted by the Mexican cartel, which are not taking him seriously. This is not a negotiation, they say. “It is to be yes. Or no.”

At the end of the episode, Mike hints that the decision was no. Gus isn’t going to give into the cartel. And now a war is about to start. You have to wonder, by the motley crew Mike assembled for him, if Gus really has the manpower and weaponry for this war. It’s one thing to battle Walter White, but a full-on ruthless drug cartel?

You’re looking at the powder-keg that is likely to blow up this season. And somewhere in there, you have to factor in Hank and Walt.

But don’t underestimate Gilligan and his writers –they have proven time and again that they know how to get into and out of dangerous situations. Slipping the noose is what they do best.

So “Problem Dog” did a fine job of propping up Hank and pushing Gus toward the teetering edge.

But the reference in the title is obviously Jesse’s lie about killing a problem dog (that dog being Gale) at his NA meeting. It’s a testament to the greatness of Breaking Bad that the most powerful bit of the whole episode unfolds like a stage play – a circle of addicts under a bright circular light (and the return of Jere Burns as the therapist/healer/leader). With an abundance of minimalism, the writers tackled an incredibly complex subject – Jesse’s interior battle with morality and reality and how the two sometimes don’t add up to anything that makes sense. I loved that scene. If you go back and watch it, all the tiny moments really matter: Jesse’s crying, it’s all starting to bubble out – he killed a man (or dog, if you will) who didn’t deserve it. Trying to explain that, in allusions, he has to admit the hardest truth – not only was Gale not a problem dog, thus didn’t deserve his fate, but Jesse never wanted to “put him down.” He was forced by circumstance to do it and, as Season 4 has proven episode after episode, he’s haunted by it. I like that the writers don’t let this go.

“Problem Dog” opened with Jesse killing video game characters and, as he shot them in the head/face, with blood spurting everywhere, it brought back all the Gale memories he’s been trying unsuccessfully to tamp down. No matter how many times he presses replay, he’s never going to be able to erase Gale’s innocent goofy-vegan head snapping back from the bullet.

And yet, Jesse hasn’t paid for his crime. If there’s morality still in him – and obviously there’s a lot (he hasn’t been able to subjugate it like Walt), it just reminds him that he needs to pay. That’s why the scene at the NA meeting was so powerful – it was an indictment of therapy speak that says you shouldn’t beat yourself up, you shouldn’t make the accountability crush your life. What Jesse is saying is, yes, you should. “So no matter what I do, hooray for me because I’m a great guy?” Jesse wants to be judged. It’s why he can’t really kill Gus (at least not yet). Why? Because it’s killing. That’s why. Some part of him wants to pay for what he did. And by reminding the NA leader that he backed over his own son – and you can’t ever forgive yourself for that – it was an incredibly damning, excruciating and powerful moment. As for the small details – when Jesse asks him point blank if he thinks its OK to cut himself slack for the horror, the answer is a whispered, defeated “no.”

Yeah, feel the rage. Mission failed.

Epic fail, actually.

And right now the best thing about Season 4 of Breaking Bad is the best thing about Mad Men all along – how an existential crises can tear a man apart in so many different ways. Jesse and Don Draper have different “conditions of existence” they are dealing with, but it’s the interior volcano that’s riveting. Aaron Paul has dominated Season 4 so far, and that NA scene in “Problem Dog” was an Emmy moment melting into itself.

Quick notes: The episode was written and directed by Peter Gould.

Walt using “ameliorate” with Saul, who says: “Let’s ditch the thesaurus. Are you talking about a hit man?” Even Saul knows no good can come from trying to kill Gus. “That’s what the kids call epic fail.”

Walt’s salary? $274,000. Give or take. And this is how often?, Skyler asks “Every two weeks.” She does the math: $7,125,000 a year. “Seven and a half before expenses,” Walt adds.

Good luck laundering that through the car wash.

$50s are going to be a problem, Skyler tells Walt when he drops the money at the car wash. Deal with it. “This is what you wanted,” he tells her. “I never wanted any of this,” Skyler says in return. And then, right there, the Carmela Soprano Moment. “If you want out, just say that you want out.”

She doesn’t.

Camera-placement update: Camera in the air/duct or vacuum!

Here’s why I’m hedging my bet that Jesse won’t kill Gus. I don’t think he can do it with a gun. But Walt’s poison? Yeah, he could probably do that. My guess is that poison gets used and something goes horribly wrong.

Great quote, with Hank and Walter Jr. “walking” into Pollos Hermanos: “Jesus, ain’t we a pair.”

Another quote to file away: “But seriously, how does that happen?” Hank to Walter Jr., about how Walt just up and bought him that expensive Challenger.

“Eyes open, mouth shut.” – Mike to Jesse. It ain’t “Friday Night Lights,” but it works great.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Does he analyze Mad Men too? I really like that review.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I really like this episode. It brought back the "rice and beans" poison, which was an amazing tension device thingy back with Tuco. Having to use it on Gus is a billion times scarier, because Gus is a hell of a lot smarter than Tuco - and well protected. Also, I'm really rooting for Hank this season. As I've mentioned, I'm not so tuned in with Walt and Skyler's laundering and relationship issues, but Hank's progress in the Heisenberg case is leading somewhere awesome... I can feel it. I'm glad that Walt and Jesse interacted a bit more this time. I can't wait for the next episode.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Does he analyze Mad Men too? I really like that review.
    yup. I'm sure he'll start up again in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Hank's progress in the Heisenberg case is leading somewhere awesome... I can feel it.
    NMH mentioned that he had a hunch that Hank's boss might be in cahoots with Gus...a very interesting, and quite possible, idea.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 08-31-2011 at 10:36 AM.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Walt's boss or do you mean Hanks boss? I was hoping that Hank would hold back the fingerprint info and be savvy enough to pick up on his superiors reluctance to buy his story without that part. Hang gathered quite a bit of evidence and for them to blow it off until the fingerprints were presented should have been a red flag for him and I was hoping this would cause Hang to rogue and get mad at the situation and take more drastic steps in his pursuit of Gus in this case. I think Hank is going to find himself in some serious danger now that almost everyone knows he's onto something. Gus is well protected because of his money and those who reap the rewards of that money aren't going to just roll over on Gus because of some recovering crippled DEA agent.

I'm not sure why bastard machine finds it hard to swallow that Hank has made this recovery. My roommate was paralyzed from the neck down in January from a very serious spinal cord injury with several rods in his back now and he's recovering and able to walk without even a cane at this point. He is still not 100% but has made amazing progress through physical therapy. It's rather common to not have any idea how much mobility a person can recover because it entirely depends on how much they push themselves and what that individual is capable of so from what I have seen I don't see a single flaw in Hank's recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I'm not sure why bastard machine finds it hard to swallow that Hank has made this recovery. My roommate was paralyzed from the neck down in January from a very serious spinal cord injury with several rods in his back now and he's recovering and able to walk without even a cane at this point. He is still not 100% but has made amazing progress through physical therapy. It's rather common to not have any idea how much mobility a person can recover because it entirely depends on how much they push themselves and what that individual is capable of so from what I have seen I don't see a single flaw in Hank's recovery.
    I think it has more to do with him going from bedridden a couple weeks prior to hobbling into the police station on a cane. It's a short passage of time. I don't mind it, whatsoever, though.

I thought they worked up to it a bit by showing him at the door when Walt and family came over for dinner and at the dinner table and his recent routines. He was starting to get around and then they solidified it by saying he had been kickinig ass in PT and he's showing every step as a struggle. Eh, just came off as uber picky and maybe not knowing enough to criticize. I didn't feel they were taking liberties. Like I said, I was more bothered by Hank not thinking through the possibility that Gus and his superiors may have a relationship.

I also thought the scene where Walt was giving Skyler the money to launder was well done. Putting the a number on the kind of cash Walt is bringing in is effective.
    Last edited by faxman75; 08-31-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Yeah sorry I meant Hank's boss.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Fantastic episode.
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    Fantastic episode.
    QF fucking T. Wow. I really didn't expect that kind of backstory on Gus, color me surprised.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I really didn't expect that kind of backstory on Gus
    And the best part is that there's more to come. We still don't know who Gus was (or what he did) in Chile, but Hector makes it clear that it matters. Really great stuff.

I'm betting that Gus was a member of the secret police in Pinochet's Chile, and that's why he had to run. Can't stay in the country with the plebiscite coming up, you know.
    And that guy was his lover.

I think the shooting by the pool would have been more shocking if they hadn't teased the viewer ahead of time with the blood in the water. Because as soon as that scene begins, you see Gus and another guy, and Gus is obviously still alive, so it's not hard to guess what happens next.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    QF fucking T. Wow. I really didn't expect that kind of backstory on Gus, color me surprised.
    Watched "Hermanos" today and it did not disappoint. But I am confused about what Gus was asking of Hector in the retirement home? Why was he trying to obtain permission?
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

Great episode. The sneak peak at the next episode seems to kick off the Jesse vs Hank in bringing down Gus. I wonder if somehow the cartel will end up aiding Hank with Gus' background. Like, they might start some mess and one of them might get arrested, and Hank will (off-the-record) visit the cartel member and say, "What do you know about this guy?" And he'll show a picture of Gus and maybe it'll be like a Keiser Soze! moment. But also, it looks like Jesse uses the poison in the next episode - or tries to use it. I wonder if he'll accidentally kill Mike with it instead. I dunno. It's getting very exciting... Oh, but also, bringing back Brock and his mom? Leverage for Gus by telling Jesse, "Them or Walter White?"

Kaiser Soze was the first thing that popped into my head last night when they started talking about Chile.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Excellent episode this week. The Gus backstory was so cinematic and graphic. That episode might have been one of my favorite of the whole series. Lots of suspense in this show.

bastard machine episode 8:

Periodically in any great series – The Sopranos, Mad Men and now Breaking Bad – there comes a time to do an explainer episode, something that provides backstory to a major character, a flashback that can illuminate all kinds of issues, but mostly motivation.

In “Hermanos,” one of the best episodes of Season 4, creator Vince Gilligan and his writers decided it was time to take a closer look at Gustavo Fring, the chicken king of the Southwest and, as we’ve seen in earlier episodes this season, a drug kingpin on the verge of being taken down as all sides of his world collapse in on him.

Well, at least that’s what appeared to be in the works. But by giving Gus a flashback episode, Gilligan has muddied the waters of intent quite a bit here. Is this the first sign of a fond farewell to an amazing character or is it a way to show viewers that Gus may be powerful enough to survive not only what the Mexican cartel has in store for him but any DEA issues as well? (Still not known is whether he’ll get slipped Walt’s untraceable killer chemistry concoction.)

In either case, perhaps it’s time to admit what was pretty obvious but also not: That the Gus character, who looked for all the world like a bit player and perhaps part of an arc that would be over and done with soon or even shunted to the side, has been in integral part of Breaking Bad and Giancarlo Esposito’s performance is one of the most understated and under-appreciated on the small screen. It's like Gus was a feint. We met him, but his role didn't appear all that large. It's a seed that has just grown, organically, since the moment the writers stuck it in the ground. That's fine patience.

What stood out so marvelously in “Hermanos” were all the connections from Gustavo’s past and how they are reverberated in the present. Secondarily, if we had somehow forgotten, the writers reminded us that Gus is an OG power-player and that Chile vs. Mexico is still a very big deal.

In the flashback, so much came together. We met Max, the “brother” in Pollos Hermanos, and learned that he was “the chef” and that Gus was the brains, or the business partner, as the two attempted to do business with the powerful Mexican cartel leader Don Eladio. Who was one of Don Eladio’s henchman? Hector Salamanca, better known as the frantic bell-ringing Tio Salamanca, uncle to The Cousins and father-figure to Tuco (now all dead). We see Hector pissing in Don Eladio’s pool, a sign that he may have eventually overthrown him to run the cartel.

And of course Hector is the one who coldly shoots Max at point blank range, filling Don Eladio’s pool with blood. When Gus tries to take his rage out on Hector, we find out via Don Eladio that the only reason Max is dead instead of Gus is that “I know who you are.”

That means, even back then (the '80s?), Gus was a well-known, powerful entity from Chile and someone big enough to not kill, for fear of an even bigger drug war.

Of course, we’ve already known that Gus stopped The Cousins from killing Walt as payback for killing Tuco. Instead, Gus steered them toward Hank (and then probably sent word to Hank, via Mike, that The Cousins were about to kill him in the parking lot), allowing Hank just enough time to inflict some damage.

As the pieces fit together, we know that Gus even had the power to kill another Mexican cartel leader, Juan Bolsa, at his super-fortified hideout just by making a call. Juan Bolsa, you’ll recall, had utmost respect for Hector Salamanca. And so this episode set up, via Gus’s visit to the retirement compound where Hector is living out his final days, that “this is what comes from blood for blood.” And clearly "this" isn't over (even if reminding Hector in detail how The Cousins died gave Gus some pleasure).

In a return visit – will this be the day? – we see Gus’s patient viciousness as he taunts the last days of Hector’s life (and perhaps his attempt to get something else out of him). This vengeance plot point is sublimely juicy. Remember when the flashback to the younger Hector, in a previous season, introduced The Cousins? And how Hector belittled “the chicken man” and Chile iteself? Can’t wait to find out more about this rivalry and what other things Gus eventually did to Hector. Ding-ding!

But maybe the most satisfying flashback reveals in “Hermanos,” had to do with all the correlation from the past to the present. There was Gus’s real love of Max, who he pulled from the streets and educated (a later reference point to Gale and the alleged scholarship program Gus set up in the States – fantastic detail). And in that scene, before Hector kills Max, it’s Max who pleads to Don Eladio that he needs and absolutely has to have Gus as his partner, which mirrors what Walt said to Gus about Jesse and what Jesse will say about Walt next week (unfortunately I saw the “next week on” preview, since I had to watch “Hermanos” on TV rather than DVD). Anyway, all of these strands are wonderful. How Gustavo long ago knew that meth was the designer drug of the future and how he set about to create, in essence, a chemist who could produce the world’s best meth, and how that links not only to Max and Walt and Gale but also Jesse.

Yes, Jesse. Remember how Don Eladio went out of his way to praise Max’s chicken? That there was something spicy about it, something – he searches for the word – “piquant” to it?

Picante, bitch. That little chili-pepper signature that Jesse, as Cap’N Cook, used to put in his meth.

(Oh, you Breaking Bad writers, I bow down to you. How positively Wire-esque, you density wonks. Just…remarkable.)

Now that we know more about Gustavo Fring – if, as Hank notes, that’s even his real name – what are we to make of his character with this new information? You can see, in all the strands of that flashback, how Gus could find someone like Gale so intriguing and likeable and how Walt, while initially equally intriguing, is much more annoying to Gus. And you can see some sympathy for Jesse in there, too. But the bigger question is, did we get “Hermanos” as a way to bid farewell to Gus in a satisfyingly mature and comprehensive way all great shows go about fleshing out characters for depth? And now he’ll get killed off and we’ll know how all the pieces mattered? Or was this Gilligan and Co.’s way of alerting viewers that the noose closing in on Gus may not end up being all that tight? That we shouldn't just assume he's going to come out on the bad end of all this by the finale?

Because now the history of Don Eladio and Hector, Tuco, The Cousins and the Mexican cartels as it relates to Chile and Gus is a potentially fascinating new direction. How important is Chile in this? What really is in Gustavo Fring’s past, pre 1989? Military? Government? What? Is that a direction about to be explored?

There are enough episodes left in Season 4 for that to play out – and for the personal animosity between Gus and Hector to have its revenge finale. But you have to wonder if our little bit player who wouldn’t leave – Esposito/Gus – isn’t still vital to the ending (16 episodes) beyond this season. I mean, it’s Breaking Bad – they can blow up the whole Gus-cartel-Hank-Walt thing in an episode or two and leave everybody reeling until next year. They absolutely have that capacity and to guess where this is all going is futile.

But let’s say Gus, as Walt’s employer, is out of the picture by season’s end. So, too, must the Mexican cartel be removed as a threat. And possibly Hank, though there are diversions for that. But is the future of Walt back on the corners he and Jesse couldn’t handle? Must his super lab existence, his meteoric rise, be downgraded back to street leve? Is that street level peddling through the car wash? Are those 16 episodes going to be devoted to Walt’s slow comeuppance and the devastating emotional fall-out of the actions he undertook in Season 1?

Damn you, Breaking Bad, for leaving so many possibilities and having a reputation for the unexpected.

Anyway, here are some further notes as we all wait to find out just who Gustavo Fring really is:

1. Loved the color of Tio’s hair – blue – offset by the TV screen. It might be my favorite perfectly framed shot of the season.

2. Hank has only been battling cancer for “the better part of a year,” so if you’re doing your Season 4 vs. Real Time math, there you go.

3. Waltisms: “Never give up control. Live life on your own terms.” “Every life comes with a death sentence.” “Until then, who’s in charge? Me. That’s how I live my life.”

4. Print it: “Pollos Hermanos, where something delicious is always cooking.”

5. Loved how the unflappable Gus betrayed some worry when he saw the police sketch of Victor as he was awaiting his interview with the DEA. Then he absolutely nailed the questioning session. “This guy is Terms of Endearment convincing.” – Hank on Gus. Of course, Hank doesn’t believe any of it.

6. “There’s no record of Gustavo Fring having ever existed in Chile.” – Hank. He set Gus off by asking him if that was his real name.

7. The twitching and dinging in the elevator after Gus’ police interview – ruffled. Finger twitching. Bell ringing as he descended floors. Really nice scene, especially since the bell ringing was reminiscent of Tio/Hector.

8. Loved the goofy organ music when Skyler was vacuum-sealing the money into clothes to hang in the closet. Plus, wearing green. As in money. Then storing the money under the house, stacked like dead bodies.

9. “Made me keep at it.” – Hank telling Walt about this drunken admission that Gale was no genius and that Heisenberg was still out there.

10. Did Gus kill Gale?, Walt asks knowing better: “These guys use a dunce to pull the trigger,” Hank says. That was more painful than funny.

11. Mike pulling up along side of Hank trying to get Walt to put the GPS tracker on Gus’s car. One word: Yes. That scene was perfect – except I wanted it to go on longer, to increase the squirm.

12. Jesse’s shirt. Whoa.

13. Walt’s continued cluelessness about Jesse’s emotional state and how Walt’s own actions have damaged other people: “Besides, you actually did kill Gale, so there’s that.” Yep, there’s that. Walt, desperate to get Jesse and Gus together so that Jesse can use the poison to kill Gus. “This is all good fodder for you to request a sit down with Gus. Trust me, he’ll meet with you if he thinks you’re a liability.” Jesse: “No, he’ll waste me if he thinks I’m a liability.”

14. Walt’s burgeoning paranoia. Especially as it pertains to Jesse.

15. “If I can’t find any trace of you before ’89, I seriously doubt Schrader can.” – Mike to Gus on the Chile thing. Yeah, the Chile thing. Piquant!

That scene in the car with Hank trying to get Walt to put the tracker on Gus' car while Mike sat in the car next to them watching was my favorite all season.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    That scene in the car with Hank trying to get Walt to put the tracker on Gus' car while Mike sat in the car next to them watching was my favorite all season.
    Mine, too. I let out an audible "Oh, shit" when Mike casually pulled up.