Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The official "I make electronic music" thread

Default The official "I make electronic music" thread

I'm curious to see how many other coachella-goers are into music production/anything recording or electronic music related. Post your gear and software of choice, and genre(s) you typically strive for.

I'll start out...

I do most of my sequencing, chopping, mixing, editing, and processing in Pro Tools LE 7.3 , via the mbox 2 pro factory bundle (by the way, this comes with an amazing ignition pack)
    I use reason for some sampling, various synth sounds, and alot of percussion/drum elements I like to pull out of there via rewire into pro tools.
    I use the Korg mini that everyone and their brother has as both a Midi controller and analog instrument, which is great for anyone starting out. This sounds like a pretty limited set up, but it's all my budget can afford for the time being, and even then, it's allowed me to learn and produce some pretty cool stuff.

I mostly aim to create ambient pieces, house, acid house, electro, trip hop, microhouse, and a combination of any of the above. I love sampling and feel that getting a good bass sound and a solid kick and snare sound is key to a good electronic track. most of my stuff is incomplete/ still in the process, but i'm near completing a few tracks i should be able to post on myspace soon. i want to hear your music!

now your turn
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

Default Re: The official "I make electronic music" thread

sigh

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    sigh
    sorry i cant afford to advance my level from newbie to respected musician status yet
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

It's not that, it's that there have already been like 4 threads on this topic. I'm being suprefan. Sorry.

At least FOI's nicer about it than Jack.

Consider yourself lucky psycho.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

Im in the process of writing the guitar parts to my first foray into electronic music. I'm incorperating the electric guitar because its the only way i can translate the songs into a live situation, but everything else is sampled/stolen/reprogrammed etc. Took 2 years to make and was a fucking headache, but im very happy with the results so far. Its going to be called An Octopus Doesn't Call His Dick a Ninth Arm, or until i can think of a better title...only thing i used was an apple g4, garageband, an amp, stompboxes, a guitar,a few synths, and a shitload of samples...

Complaining about people starting new threads for old topics is so tired.

They're just trying to scare all the pretty girls away.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

I have neither the time nor the money between all my hobbies to put into making electronic music what I know it would take.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    Im in the process of writing the guitar parts to my first foray into electronic music. I'm incorperating the electric guitar because its the only way i can translate the songs into a live situation, but everything else is sampled/stolen/reprogrammed etc. Took 2 years to make and was a fucking headache, but im very happy with the results so far. Its going to be called An Octopus Doesn't Call His Dick a Ninth Arm, or until i can think of a better title...only thing i used was an apple g4, garageband, an amp, stompboxes, a guitar,a few synths, and a shitload of samples...
    did you sample everything yourself? if so, what did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    They're just trying to scare all the pretty girls away.
    Indeed.

Complaining about people that complain about people starting new threads about old topics AFTER THEY SAID SORRY is not useful.

Also if this person weren't a hot girl, half of you wouldn't be responding. Stated.

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    It's not that, it's that there have already been like 4 threads on this topic. I'm being suprefan. Sorry.
    oh, i didnt even realize there were other threads on it, i havent seen any on here yet and i was just curious to what other people were working on. didnt mean to snap at you

Quote Originally Posted by psychoc&ndy View Post
    I'm curious to see how many other coachella-goers are into music production/anything recording or electronic music related. Post your gear and software of choice, and genre(s) you typically strive for.

I'll start out...

I do most of my sequencing, chopping, mixing, editing, and processing in Pro Tools LE 7.3 , via the mbox 2 pro factory bundle (by the way, this comes with an amazing ignition pack)
    I use reason for some sampling, various synth sounds, and alot of percussion/drum elements I like to pull out of there via rewire into pro tools.
    I use the Korg mini that everyone and their brother has as both a Midi controller and analog instrument, which is great for anyone starting out. This sounds like a pretty limited set up, but it's all my budget can afford for the time being, and even then, it's allowed me to learn and produce some pretty cool stuff.

I mostly aim to create ambient pieces, house, acid house, electro, trip hop, microhouse, and a combination of any of the above. I love sampling and feel that getting a good bass sound and a solid kick and snare sound is key to a good electronic track. most of my stuff is incomplete/ still in the process, but i'm near completing a few tracks i should be able to post on myspace soon. i want to hear your music!

now your turn

I wish I had a "limited" setup like that. I know for a fact that I would get into production but I'm just so tapped for time myself these days. I'm barely at the "fucking around w/FL studio" stage.

Quote Originally Posted by PineapplePete View Post
    did you sample everything yourself? if so, what did you use?
    the only things that are really sampled are the drums. i listened to a ton of records and listened for lone drum hits and sampled them through garageband. id then take those lone drum samples(bass drum sampled from a eric b and rakim song coupled with the snare from a squarepusher track for example) and reworked them into my own original pattern. I dont own the proper equipment to make this any easier and know nothing about midi so i relied on my patience of listening to the same pattern thousands of times, moving the single samples around until i was satisfied, thus why it has taken so long. I can only tolerate working on a single track for about a week before i put it aside for a few months and return to working on it just because im sick of listening to the same pattern over and over and over and over again while i work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    sounds awesome, you can get alot of creative results even with using the most basic gear. if you think about it, even the simple, "lo tech" or "amateur" music production equipment by today's standards is pretty nice compared to what artists had to spend thousands of dollars on 15+ years ago to piece together electronic songs. keep it up! i use electric guitar in alot of my songs actually, it's cool to use effects on it and blend it in with the synths and samples. i've recently been experimenting with the ebow for a few songs

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    I wish I had a "limited" setup like that. I know for a fact that I would get into production but I'm just so tapped for time myself these days. I'm barely at the "fucking around w/FL studio" stage.
    almost 5 years ago, i downloaded a bootleg of fruityloops before i had any midi or electronic experience, and i just started playing around with it and seeing what i could do. without me messing around with that, i dont think i would have ever considered going out and buying hardware. it was really useful as a gateway

That's the plan, it's a fun hobby for now.. I've always had a lot of DJ friends that can lend me any MIDI gear, keyboards and turntables, if I get more serious about it in the future. Most of my days consist of me running beats through my head anyways so I give props to people who produce their own stuff..

I use a very basic set up.. Korg Electribe, Korg Prophecy, old Roland, Dr. Rhythm 660 all put into my Mac. I use samples and make my own. I'm influence by House/Dub/DnB/Nujazz but my stuff is more House tech/House Dub like old Cabaret Voltaire/Orb/FSOL. I hope to get a myspace up when I complete production within 3-4months

I've been making beats since high school, although those were mostly shitty. I started DJing and then got back into producing things from that. I'm better now but I'm still learning!

I use Ableton 6 (need to upgrade) and Logic, along with an M-Audio keyboard and a Trigger Finger. Logic sounds much better and has better effects but I can't stop using Ableton. The workflow is ridiculous, the program really just gets out of the way and lets you make music. I usually just arrange in Ableton and then mix everything and put effects on it in Logic.

yeah id love to hear

I used to play the keyboard.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

This thread is pointless without music to download, listen to or link to.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

http://www.zshare.net/download/6882521a0d6676/

here's some shit I did. i'm still learning.

Mr. Nipples... it sounds like you are making an Avalanches record.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Trick - I like those. You should flesh them out more -- you've a good got instinct for the music in addition to the beats. I'd like to hear you play out the melodic possibilities in these. I liked paper best.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

The last time I d/led something Trick Loves the Kids made I liked it and I complimented it and then he said anyone who liked it lost all his respect because it was so bad. I was humiliated. Not going down that road again!

See, I could give two shits if he respects me. I mean, have you seen that bandana he wears?
    ---
    The Dive Poets

You wear a gigantic head and plaid pants.

I want to make electronic music, but I don't have the tools or the equipment to begin with. I'm also disenchanted with making music as is right now.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.