Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science/Science News Thread.

Default Re: The Science/Science News Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Reading these pages makes me want to vomit. Good to know that washington university is getting 100 million to research deep sea drilling.

http://www.oceanleadership.org/about...rship/history/
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

VigoTheCarpathian

Reading these pages makes me want to vomit. Good to know that washington university is getting 100 million to research deep sea drilling.

"How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I had a defense of grannock posted here but that one below pretty much made it unnecessary. Flame away.
    what was it? genuinely curious, not trolling.

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post

grannock, I commend your commitment to an austere national balance sheet and think we all sympathize. everyone is upset not because there isn't wasteful spending as you suggest: thanks for stating the obvious. we just don't believe you have a single fucking clue as to what the energy needs of our economy our, nor a reasonable estimation of the future, singular technologies which may fulfill those needs. and if you do, I suggest you run for president because those two buffoons from last night don't seem to have any bright ideas either.

Until we get hover boards, the fucking future aint here yet.

grannock, I commend your commitment to an austere national balance sheet and think we all sympathize. everyone is upset not because there isn't wasteful spending as you suggest: thanks for stating the obvious. we just don't believe you have a single fucking clue as to what the energy needs of our economy our, nor a reasonable estimation of the future, singular technologies which may fulfill those needs. and if you do, I suggest you run for president because those two buffoons from last night don't seem to have any bright ideas either.

Well, i have a degree in chemistry and physics, i teach both subjects. My mom researches lung transplant immunoligy at the university of wisconsin and my dad is the leading environmentalist in the tri state area. I have a clue about research allocation, environmental issues, and fundamental theory on energy production. The energy industry in this country doesnt want solutions that will save the planet, tey want solutions that will raise 4th quarter profits.

Id never run for politics, i would either get arrested or killed.

VigoTheCarpathian

I appreciate that you are formally educated in the sciences: I am not. I'm only a technology enthusiast and aspiring industrialist. I like to think that I know a thing or two about physics and biology but really I don't know the difference between a quark and a fallopian tube.

Economics and the politics of society is very complicated. If you suggest we automatically defund the pentagon and end the fed and do all those radical things Ron Paul would like to do all at once, then I say you're either dreaming or advocating the disintegration of our society. We sympathize with Pauls ideas and hold them as virtuous goals but also understand that real change happens slowly, with the participation of many members of society. Sudden changes, like Lenin's October Revolution, have the capacity to destroy societies.

so,

To think that some sweeping change to our energy establishment can happen so suddenly and without a devastating costs is naive.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    what was it? genuinely curious, not trolling.
    I was operating under the assumption that hey, maybe he really didn't have a good grasp of the theoretical physics behind a warp drive because that technology and science is so complex that even a person aware of physics concepts and space technology would not necessarily have a grasp on the ins and outs. Beyond that I don't really recall, but his subsequent posts make it obvious that he's one of those I-do-something-related-to-science-so-everyone-who-doesn't-is-an-idiot-and-doesn't-understand-what-we-need-to-do sort of people. So annoying as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Lawyers are never like that

Oh, there are many lawyers like that. But not all of them, just like not all science-related people are like grannock. Look, for example, at John and Corinna.

Well, i have a degree in chemistry and physics, i teach both subjects. My mom researches lung transplant immunoligy at the university of wisconsin and my dad is the leading environmentalist in the tri state area.
    Then you have no excuse.

also, as an aside: what color is the lung transplant ribbon?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Sort of a shiny red and mottled black-brown, probably.

I was operating under the assumption that hey, maybe he really didn't have a good grasp of the theoretical physics behind a warp drive because that technology and science is so complex that even a person aware of physics concepts and space technology would not necessarily have a grasp on the ins and outs. Beyond that I don't really recall, but his subsequent posts make it obvious that he's one of those I-do-something-related-to-science-so-everyone-who-doesn't-is-an-idiot-and-doesn't-understand-what-we-need-to-do sort of people. So annoying as hell.
    it's true nobody truly knows the full details of warp drive, but calling it ridiculous based on a blatant misunderstanding is annoying and needed correction in case he encounters another member of his elite colleagues and makes the same comment. The second indefensible thing he said though is that "we have more important things to focus on". That betrays a massive ignorance of the history of technology. Most of our scientific breakthroughs and technological advances have come about from discoveries made during a search for something else. we know a ton of shit today and have a bunch of toys we wouldn't have if we hadn't put whitey on the moon.

I don't know what the fuck Ferdinand and Isabella were doing funding that ridiculous expedition looking for a shortcut to Asia. Everyone knows you have to go around the horn of Africa to get there, duh. With all the problems of the jews and the sodomists and the protestants and the Portugese, this is a ridiculous waste of money.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

it's true nobody truly knows the full details of warp drive, but calling it ridiculous based on a blatant misunderstanding is annoying and needed correction in case he encounters another member of his elite colleagues and makes the same comment. The second indefensible thing he said though is that "we have more important things to focus on". That betrays a massive ignorance of the history of technology. Most of our scientific breakthroughs and technological advances have come about from discoveries made during a search for something else. we know a ton of shit today and have a bunch of toys we wouldn't have if we hadn't put whitey on the moon.
    If I recall correctly (and i probably don't) the crux of my post was, "Jack, if he legitimately has a misunderstanding, don't patronize about it. Just educate without making him seem like an idiot," only he then made additional posts that proved you were, in fact, right to treat him that way.

I appreciate that you are formally educated in the sciences: I am not. I'm only a technology enthusiast and aspiring industrialist. I like to think that I know a thing or two about physics and biology but really I don't know the difference between a quark and a fallopian tube.

Economics and the politics of society is very complicated. If you suggest we automatically defund the pentagon and end the fed and do all those radical things Ron Paul would like to do all at once, then I say you're either dreaming or advocating the disintegration of our society. We sympathize with Pauls ideas and hold them as virtuous goals but also understand that real change happens slowly, with the participation of many members of society. Sudden changes, like Lenin's October Revolution, have the capacity to destroy societies.

so,

To think that some sweeping change to our energy establishment can happen so suddenly and without a devastating costs is naive.
    You are 100% correct. There is absolutely no way we can refurbish our energy infrastructure without devastating certain parts of our economy. This is the real issue with any sort of meaningful policy change in this country. The status quo can not be completely preserved while fixing huge issues with our education, medical and insurance system. Problem is, people dont see the looming iceburg. We can as a country realize an impending nightmare and make sacrifices to keep the ship afloat, or just pray that lifeboats will be plentiful when the housing market, social securty, public education and medicare/medicade systems collapse.

Jack, im not sure what you do, but do you really think it is prudent that people at nasa are working on technology that is not only questionable in terms of theory, but worthless in terms of practicality? They have only maybe seen this phenomena on the 10^-25 meter ish scale. All they are talking about is the data capture of a new type of inferometer, basically a em radiation defraction microscope. Why someone at nasa shot his entire nerd load all over a gizmoto article is scary to say the least.

Id like to ask him how they plan to compress spacetime when the plank quanta of space at 10^-35 m is the smallest unit of space possible...

Basically the entire concept is built on waaaaaaaaaaaay to many untested, untestable, and comeplete vague theories in the field of quantum mechanics (impossibly small) and they are claming that these type of phenomena can be replicated on a human scale? Complete bullshit.

VigoTheCarpathian

Basically the entire concept is built on waaaaaaaaaaaay to many untested, untestable, and comeplete vague theories in the field of quantum mechanics (impossibly small) and they are claming that these type of phenomena can be replicated on a human scale? Complete bullshit.
    ehhh, this may be a naive questions but: isn't this the basis for nanotechnology altogether? and isn't there practically useful energy transfer from the quantum to micro level?

VigoTheCarpathian

isnt that necessary for nuclear energy reactors? and cold fusion???

If I recall correctly (and i probably don't) the crux of my post was, "Jack, if he legitimately has a misunderstanding, don't patronize about it. Just educate without making him seem like an idiot," only he then made additional posts that proved you were, in fact, right to treat him that way.
    I charge 120$ an hour for tutoring, if you, jack or anyone else wants to learn a bit about relativity or quantum mechanics ill accept paypal.

ehhh, this may be a naive questions but: isn't this the basis for nanotechnology altogether? and isn't there practically useful energy transfer from the quantum to micro level?
    Nanotechnology is building molecules that function in our environment. Its basically a continuation of the organic chemistry field. Nanotechnology, 10^-9 meter scale is much easier to work with, and experiment with, and collect data about than quantum mechanics, 10^-20 and smaller scale. At a subatomic level particles (not even a good name) are moving at impossible speeds in seemingly random patterns and are impossibly small.

VigoTheCarpathian

haven't we already created quantum confinement and proven it useful, at least at an experimental level? and again, isn't nuclear energy reliant upon energy transfer from the quantum to micro level?

There was a story on NPR today about altering hereditary genes. Can anybody expound on this? That shit scares me.

Im not sure what you mean by quantum confinment. Nuclear fission operates on te principle of releasing binding energy of unstable nuclei. If you actually added the mass of every proton and nuetron in a uranium nucleus it does not equal the mass of the uranium nuclei. This "missing" mass is the bonding energy that holds all the positively charged protons togeter in an incredibly small area. When you split the nuclei apart you can calculate how much energy is released using e=mc^2 putting in the "missing" mass for the m variable where C is the limit of passage through spacetime, or more conviniently called the speed of light.

Quantum refers to the lower limits of energy, or space or any other quantification of the smallest pieces of measrable dimensioms. For example a quanta of energy is planks constant, 6.6E-34 js. This is the energy of every single wavelength of em radiation from radio waves to xrays. The quanta of space is something like 1E-35 m. This is the length of the invisible, undetectable "space" that encompases the universe. The network of these tiny quanta of space best describes the very stange and unpredictable behavior of particles that exist on this magnitude.

The only true law of quantum mechanics is that particles operate using completely different rules than objects that we can predict using classical mechanics. This is the main reason i scoff at "warp bubble" technology. Even if they can create these bubbles at a sub atomic level, they will certainly not behave te same way on a human sized scale.

Coachella Junkie

Oh, there are many lawyers like that. But not all of them, just like not all science-related people are like grannock. Look, for example, at John and Corinna.
    To be fair, John and Corinna are both terrible scientists.

VigoTheCarpathian

Im not sure what you mean by quantum confinment. Nuclear fission operates on te principle of releasing binding energy of unstable nuclei. If you actually added the mass of every proton and nuetron in a uranium nucleus it does not equal the mass of the uranium nuclei. This "missing" mass is the bonding energy that holds all the positively charged protons togeter in an incredibly small area. When you split the nuclei apart you can calculate how much energy is released using e=mc^2 putting in the "missing" mass for the m variable where C is the limit of passage through spacetime, or more conviniently called the speed of light.

Quantum refers to the lower limits of energy, or space or any other quantification of the smallest pieces of measrable dimensioms. For example a quanta of energy is planks constant, 6.6E-34 js. This is the energy of every single wavelength of em radiation from radio waves to xrays. The quanta of space is something like 1E-35 m. This is the length of the invisible, undetectable "space" that encompases the universe. The network of these tiny quanta of space best describes the very stange and unpredictable behavior of particles that exist on this magnitude.

The only true law of quantum mechanics is that particles operate using completely different rules than objects that we can predict using classical mechanics. This is the main reason i scoff at "warp bubble" technology. Even if they can create these bubbles at a sub atomic level, they will certainly not behave te same way on a human sized scale.
    none of this elementary explanation of quantum mechanics goes to disprove the possibility of warp drives.

That subatomic particles are impossible to describe in a reductionist manner is a point you need not make: most everyone here understands that we are limited by our neurological/biological capacity to test and understand matter beyond our capacity to do so: IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE CANNOT. You just only gave us a history lesson on quantum mechanics when what we needed was an original mind.

By quantum confinement I mean capturing electrons, multiple electrons, from separate atoms, into potential wells, and keeping them there to create separate, individual meta-atoms with no nuclei, which posses unique physical attributes not found in nature; and maybe, in the future, have direct, fluid, real-time control over it. WE HAVE CREATED QUANTUM CONFINEMENT. WE ALSO EXPLOIT QUANTUM ENERGY FOR BOMBS AND COMPUTER NETWORKS.

Your theory seems to be: we have a holistic understanding of nature but we dont so go fuck yourself. With men like you I'd be driving a horse an buggy.

His original post warranted such a rebuke.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    There was a story on NPR today about altering hereditary genes. Can anybody expound on this? That shit scares me.
    I don't understand why this is so scary, I doubt they have the intention or means to take it further than this right now.
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 10-26-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .