Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Science/Science News Thread.

Default Re: The Science/Science News Thread.

For the sake of not treading back through what I can only assume are a painfully boring previous 10 pages, could someone catch me up to date on what grannock's pedigree is? With the understanding that "intends to get a PhD" does not count towards this pedigree?
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I'm going with get high.

My ex girlfriend had to infect mice with some sort of virus and then after it had time to spread or whatever she would have to separate their skulls from their spines. With her hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I'm going with get high.

I didn't realize you used to date Corinna.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DruggyFestivalGuy View Post
    My ex girlfriend had to infect mice with some sort of virus and then after it had time to spread or whatever she would have to separate their skulls from their spines. With her hands.
    Yeah, we will be doing that in probably two months. There's a herpes virus you can use as a tracer to visualize the neural path of a stimulus. That euthanasia technique is called cervical dislocation; it's very effective but we don't use it. (The mice are, of course, knocked out when you do it. And doing it by hand instead of with a flat blunt implement is...questionable. I'd be surprised if that was allowed anymore.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

It's allowed. And you do it while they are conscious. That's how we killed our mice. It was brutal at first, but you get used to it. It's a quick death, and if you do right there is very little convulsing.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Jesus christ what kind of IACUC is your workplace running? That would never fly here.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I am not there any longer. It is a standard procedure at the University of Utah. IACUC trained us, so it fell within their regulations.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Weird. You can't even do cervical dislocation here unless you can scientifically justify it over other means of euthanasia, and if IACUC accepts your justification you have to get certified before you can do it at all.

Hmmm. Maybe it was just for our lab and our collaborators labs then. I never really saw anyone kill a mouse a different way, but I was only exposed to the labs I mentioned, so I guess I shouldn't speak for the entirety of the University. We did have to get specially trained. We justified it because we were monitoring protein and RNA expression in embryos, so we had to kill the pregnant moms quickly without any chemical euthanasia, as it could effect expression.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Ohhh yeah that makes sense, I imagine that would be acceptable here too. And yet they gave me shit for isoflurane overdoses on their last inspection. God, IACUC is the worst.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Hey Grannock,
    Tell me more about the mainstream media not covering LENR news

Tell me more about the various results of experiments that reproduced ANY of the original publications you reference but wont cite.
    And I already asked you to tell me more about MIT's retraction of Pons' work. I guess your phone auto-corrected your response into angry babble.

Come back. You're fun.

The future: it's haunted, bilious rubber gloves.

VigoTheCarpathian

Well, aesthetically immature but necessarliy safe so long as we're going to give them to our children.

VigoTheCarpathian

I wish it as silent as the video.
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 02-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

VigoTheCarpathian

Underactuated Robotics

Robots today move far too conservatively, using control systems that attempt to maintain full control authority at all times. Humans and animals move much more aggressively by routinely executing motions which involve a loss of instantaneous control authority. Controlling nonlinear systems without complete control authority requires methods that can reason about and exploit the natural dynamics of our machines.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...2009/index.htm

VigoTheCarpathian

The Molecular Foundry is a Department of Energy-funded program providing support to researchers from around the world whose work can benefit from or contribute to nanoscience. Through unparalleled access to state-of-the-art instruments, materials, technical expertise and training, the Foundry provides researchers with the tools to enhance the development and understanding of the synthesis, characterization and theory of nanoscale materials.

http://foundry.lbl.gov/

VigoTheCarpathian

Welcome to the Registry of Standard Biological Parts.

The Registry is a continuously growing collection of genetic parts that can be mixed and matched to build synthetic biology devices and systems. Founded in 2003 at MIT, the Registry is part of the Synthetic Biology community's efforts to make biology easier to engineer. It provides a resource of available genetic parts to iGEM teams and academic labs. You can register a new lab here.

http://partsregistry.org/Main_Page

Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 01-22-2013 at 08:49 PM.

So Iran now has a better astronaut program than the US.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/wo...pace.html?_r=0

VigoTheCarpathian

The Berkeley Sensor & Actuator Center (BSAC) is the National Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Microsensors and Microactuators. We conduct industry-relevant, interdisciplinary research on micro- and nano-scale sensors, moving mechanical elements, microfluidics, materials, processes & systems that take advantage of progress made in integrated-circuit, bio, and polymer technologies.

http://www-bsac.eecs.berkeley.edu/

VigoTheCarpathian

OpenWetWare is an effort to promote the sharing of information, know-how, and wisdom among researchers and groups who are working in biology & biological engineering. Learn more about us.
    If you would like edit access, would be interested in helping out, or want your lab website hosted on OpenWetWare, please join us. OpenWetWare is managed by the BioBricks Foundation.

http://openwetware.org/wiki/Main_Page

VigoTheCarpathian

DIYbio.org was founded in 2008 with the mission of establishing a vibrant, productive and safe community of DIY biologists. Central to our mission is the belief that biotechnology and greater public understanding about it has the potential to benefit everyone.

http://diybio.org/

VigoTheCarpathian

DIY PCR machine. Hack DNA at home. Grow neon roses and cure Carpathian Disease.

http://openpcr.org/
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 01-31-2013 at 11:09 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Synthetic Biology

Quantum Computing
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 01-31-2013 at 11:08 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Kinetic Art

distributed/swarm robotics
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 02-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.

VigoTheCarpathian

The idea is to create an animated and interactive world around us. Opposed to an augmented or virtual reality exemplified in the film The Matrix. A really surreal world in which we exchange real hugs rather than digital ones. Like the experience of Coachella with all it's animated art installations. To bust the computer out of the box and into the world around us. To make toys as lifelike as those from the Pixar film Toy Story. To make true 3D and interactive art. To make next generation tools and devices for a better life. Here are links to various labs working on distributed/swarm robotics.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~claytronics/

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/drl/wiki...itle=Main_Page

PM me if interested. Posterity
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 02-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    The future: it's haunted, bilious rubber gloves.

This was developed in part by world renowned Harvard professor George Whitesides. His lab publishes a wealth of research on molecular self assembly, soft robotics, micro fluidics and much more. Check it out

http://gmwgroup.harvard.edu/

On 2/15/13 a meteor exploded over Russia. Youtube video is pretty nuts. Over 1000 people injured (mostly due to the exploding glass from the sonic booms)

Last edited by ManImCool; 02-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

HELL EXPLAINED BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT
    The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona chemistry mid-term, and an actual answer turned in by a student.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Anabella during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct..... ....leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Anabella kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A .