Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Science/Science News Thread.

Default Re: The Science/Science News Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Grannock, please address this issue. It cries out for your insight and wisdom.
    So Tom, what is the mechanism of gravity?

Just because we observe gravity, but can not explain it, doesn't mean that people that observe gravity are trying to put on a hoax. FnP observed something. They were very highly regarded electrochemists trying to measure electrochemical values using very precise equipment. They observed something that didn't make any sense. Unfortunately, they jumped out of their socks and made a few claims they couldn't repeat because they DIDNT UNDERSTAND what was going on. Was this amazing science, no not really, should they have done more research and experiments before they announced results? Absolutely. Did they try to lie to the entire world for absolutely no reason? That makes no sense. Instead of investigating further, the mainstream community threw them under the bus and called them liars and cheats. Do you think that was fair?

Here we are 20 years later and the observations they made are proven to be real. If you refuse to believe this, use google scholar and look up the nearly 100 published experiments by countless international scientists on this field. Are they all liars and cheaters?

Do we still understand the mechanism? No, we don't, we need to research this field further and not call to carpet anyone trying to advance this field.

If these Germans are publicizing these results it means they can reproduce the experiment because they have a grasp on the mechanism at play.

Very few scientific breakthrough in mandkinds complicated history were first theorized, and then put into practice. Einstein is a great example of the contrary. Usually we experiment with things, observe results and then try to formulate and explanation of what is going on. Edison created the lightbulb through endless experimentation. Did he theorize about blackbody radiation and then instantly know Tungsten would radiate a bandwidth of light that we would want to use in truck headlights? No. We still don't understand precisely how blackbody radiation is even emitted. It doesn't fucking matter, your tungsten filament light will spot a deer while your tearing down the highway.

I have a very hard time drawing logical conclusions about the way both FnP were treated, and the complete alienation of the LENR phenomena in mainstream science. Please, explain it to me.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Because science abhors fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Nobody gives a fuck, grannock. Now answer my question you addlebrained pussy.
    You don't give a fuck because you don't understand what i'm talking about. This is the science discussion thread, if you dont want to discus science the thread that bmack made where he listed every date and location of every show he has ever been to is <---------------------. I don't go in there and call you all losers with no friends making desperate grasps on the internet, do I?
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Because science abhors fiction.
    Nothing was fictitious. They saw something, and reported.

I don't know, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    I have a very hard time drawing logical conclusions about the way both FnP were treated, and the complete alienation of the LENR phenomena in mainstream science. Please, explain it to me.
    guess you're not so fucking smart.

Go get a fucking job, loser.

Copy/pasting the fringes of the internet here isn't going to get you health insurance.

Nothing was fictitious. They saw something, and reported.
    I know someone that saw a UFO and reported it.

total non-fiction

I really don't. I think it is a very interesting topic of discussion. Could the dogma of the scientific community have kept this down? Why is this a blacklisted topic at every major university? Why is there a complete lack of media coverage?

http://www.lenr-coldfusion.com/2012/...ni-replicatio/

Either there is a huge effort to hoax people asking for no funding or support, or these types of experiments and results are real. In a country where 80 million is invested to some oceanographic surveyors, you would think this type of technology should see the light of day considering it has way more potential than all of the other "green" technologies combined.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    guess you're not so fucking smart.

Go get a fucking job, loser.

Copy/pasting the fringes of the internet here isn't going to get you health insurance.
    Tell me more how salt molecules steal energy from water.

Jack.... Im not a google scientist. I never look stuff up, I know this shit. I teach AP chemistry and physics, but whatever, ill break you down.
    I hate to poop all over your self-worth but teaching basic science to high school kids does not confer prestige or make you the King of Science.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I hate to poop all over your self-worth but teaching basic science to high school kids does not confer prestige or make you the King of Science.
    No shit buddy, i'm a young kid, I learn stuff every single day, but this is kinda my wheelhouse, no? I'm not just some moron looking shit up and trying to formulate an argument. I'm interested in discussing these topics, and if nobody else is, whatever, don't reply. I spend a lot of my free time researching in all types of new scientific studies and generally laugh at how the media, and thus general public end up receiving it. It is somewhat frustrating, and sorry if i displayed some of that frustration anonymously on a forum.

I am doing a brief stint at a public school before I go get my PhD to evaluate what is wrong with our education system in hopes of somehow offering some insight on how to teach kids science. I'd already be in grad school if any type of LENR program was being funded in this country, i'm pretty passionate about environmental issues, and the only solution is clean energy. Anyhow, i dunno why people are generally dicks around here, reminds me of high school kids petty shit, honestly.

http://www.lenr-coldfusion.com/2012/...transmutation/

On another note, more people in on the hoax, azns this time.
    Last edited by grannock; 01-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.

It is somewhat frustrating, and sorry if i displayed some of that frustration anonymously on a forum.
    Anyhow, i dunno why people are generally dicks around here, reminds me of high school kids petty shit, honestly.
    I think one may have something to do with another. You'll note that we're not dicks to people who don't just spout off without backing up their claims, or who come in claiming to know everything and then don't argue coherently. Sure, you provided some more statements on this page, but throughout here and other threads on the board you've been a pretty ineffective supporter of your points.

And classy. Because going to concerts makes us losers with no friends. Or posting about concert histories on a, you know, music-focused message board. THAT is why people are dicks to you, asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I am doing a brief stint at a public school before I go get my PhD to evaluate what is wrong with our education system in hopes of somehow offering some insight on how to teach kids science.

What you're talking about is an education degree. A degree in an actual science would have come off as more impressive.

And Bryan, how dare you go to so many concerts. You should be ashamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I'm obviously a loser, baby. Why don't you kill me?

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    What you're talking about is an education degree. A degree in an actual science would have come off as more impressive.

And Bryan, how dare you go to so many concerts. You should be ashamed.
    I think education degrees are plenty impressive - moreso than science, honestly - but unfortunately it seems like a lot of the folks who DO end up teaching aren't uh, people I would want teaching (cough Gunz cough). Roberto is the shining exception to this.

Don't get me wrong, no shame in any PhD, especially not education. But in that moment he seemed intent on fortifying his position as a research scientist with mention of a PhD program after his "stop-over" in teaching. I'd be impressed either way, I just wish he'd stop being such a pompous twat about everything.

I feel you.

I think education degrees are plenty impressive - moreso than science, honestly - but unfortunately it seems like a lot of the folks who DO end up teaching aren't uh, people I would want teaching (cough Gunz cough). Roberto is the shining exception to this.
    Lies (but thanks). Each year I'm just trying to get it right.

It sounds like maybe (?) he's talking about teacher education or education policy, for which a Ph.D. is actually what he'd want. It's tempting to lecture grannock about how public education doesn't need pedagogical dilettantes. What it really needs are dedicated, passionate people – regardless of the subject area – who will make a lifelong career out of making sure our students are competent, confident, and sophisticated readers, writers, and thinkers.

But is such a lecture worth it? It is not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    But is such a lecture worth it? It is not worth it.
    The clarity of your thinking is a much-needed additive to this thread.

Research is a job, people will work for a paycheck. A news article about star trek is exactly what the public deems prudent. Just look at this thread. Cold fusion and CO2 capture that would preserve our planet? Nah we need warp bubbles and tractor beems biotch! That shit is cool yo!
    I don't understand why people are assholes.

Lol at the last 2 sentences. This technology ony works on micrograms of silica, requires waaaaaaay to much energy if scaled up and would likely destroy things instead of "pulling" them. Fuck it, wrte them a 10 million dollar grant, this shit reminds me of star wars.

Everyone needs to get their heads put of their asses, and solve our energy crisis, before we worry about mimicking science fantasy television.
    I don't get it at all.

Bryan, research is invalid unless grannock deems it currently necessary. Or at least that's how it should work.

My research is useless because it's not about "our energy crisis".

What do you research, and how do mice figure in? I've always been curious.

I'm in somatosensation - how and why temperature and pain are felt, how they interact, the molecular mechanisms of the neural process from stimulus to nerve to spinal cord, etc.

Tell me more how salt molecules steal energy from water.
    OK you're right. The water molecules may not necessarily lose energy simply by pulling salt apart, but any reasonable amount of salt will cool warm water. so there, suck it. All systems are theoretical and perfect in your head because you seem to have zero experience doing anything practical. You just google shit and act like a dipshit.

Tell me more about being a functioning adult. Tell me about paying taxes, funding your retirement accounts, having health insurance.
    You're a slithering sap on society and we don't begrudge that. It's OK that you're worthless. You will never get a PhD. I expect you'll crash and burn after conflicts with your peers and professors. We'll pick up your slack and allow you to be what you are.

btw I took AP chemistry too. Got a 5 on the exam. Couldn't use the credits though. You want 'em?

EDIT: hold up a minute. Looks like I can google shit too!!!!
    Looks like dissolving sodium chloride actually is endothermic. NaCl's lattice energy is greater than its hydration energy (water molecules lose more energy pulling the ions apart than they gain when the sodium ion attracts them).

So the motherfucking temperature drops. This shit is even demonstrated in high school chemistry lab projects.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.

I am doing a brief stint at a public school before I go get my PhD to evaluate what is wrong with our education system in hopes of somehow offering some insight on how to teach kids science.
    First, it's SO noble of your to lend your precious time to fix our educational system on your way to saving humanity. What a fucking guy.

Second, posting various pieces of news from the same website is not helping your idiot rant.

If the end of the world's energy crisis were immediately at hand, and the scientific community took it seriously, so would the media.

Shut the fuck up moron.

I'm in somatosensation - how and why temperature and pain are felt, how they interact, the molecular mechanisms of the neural process from stimulus to nerve to spinal cord, etc.
    So, you torture mice to death. Got it.

I'm kidding, that's insanely interesting. Expect me to ask you questions at a later time, I'm really curious to know how & why that works the way it does.

So, you torture mice to death. Got it.

I'm kidding, that's insanely interesting. Expect me to ask you questions at a later time, I'm really curious to know how & why that works the way it does.
    An old roommate of mine used to work for a drug research company pith rats all the time for diabetes medication research. Scramble brains and slice up livers. It fucked him up.