Thread: Camping VS Motels

Smile Camping VS Motels

So, which is it? I know people are partial to one or the other, but I've never been. I think I'm leaning toward the campgrounds for the accessibility and the ability to abandon my car for the weekend. And if I do, is it better to get there Thursday night or Friday morning? The weekend is going to be my boyfriend's birthday present so I'm sort of planning this all on my own for now.

Default Re: Camping VS Motels

The campground party on Thursday is not one to miss.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

I've done both, and I prefer camping.

Many local hotels jack up their rates, and have horrible customer service, on Coachella weekend. Meanwhile, they're far away, so you either have to walk or sit in traffic.

Camping has a nice party atmosphere and would be a blast even without the festival.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedthebird View Post
    This is no joke.

Not to mention getting a room at this point probably won't be easy.

Campity Camp...if for nothing more than the Value. $55 for 3 nights? Can't beat it.
    "It's all happening..."
    Coachella BEARDwatch '08, '11

thanks for the advice, guys.

Offsite camping, Lake Cahuilla. Drinking and drugs are pretty much encouraged, not strictly banned like onsite.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

See, if I was going to be offsite, I think I would then choose a hotel. I'm not a die hard primitive camper but I can certainly do Coachella camping and still enjoy life.

Drinking and drugs are banned in the onsite camping? I haven't noticed that.

CAMP! Seriously it's just way to much fun to miss. AND you can party it up all day and night without having to worry about driving to the polo fields and making it in time

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

You won't get any sleep if you camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Campings cool though, you can wake up when it gets warm and shower before all the passed out people wake up and want to use them. then head into town because you have access to your own parking lot as long as you return to the campers parking lot before 11 am when they open all lots which makes it easy to get a good meal and coffee in town ( if your sly and you park a little far you can usually find your stall open still when you return). the security is mostly concerned about weapons and violence and if your a level headed partier no one will ever hassle you.
    you'l meet some cool people and have an easy access to the festival both in and out each day!! the heat is intense but the nights are fookin lovely and the roar of the campgrounds will be kinda trippy at first but soon becomes awesome( you'll miss it as soon as you drive away).
    also if your unable to sleep it means your too high or havent done the festival right because when you return to your tent after a day at the coach its easy to drop the fuck out!!

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    Drinking and drugs are banned in the onsite camping? I haven't noticed that.
    Drinking isn't banned. It's allowed if you pay $7 each beer.

without a doubt you should camp instead of get a hotel, no one wants to sit in traffic or walk really far at the end of the night when they are all partied out, you want to go right back to your tent which is very close and keep partying! Last year on saturday their were tons of people trying to rush the gates to get into to campgrounds who didnt have camp wristbands because thats where the party continues! Plus you meet tons of cool people and their are like 20 of those shower trailers with like 10 showers in each, if you get up around 7 or 8 you only wait about 5 to 10 mintues if you get up between 9 and 10 its about 30 to 40 minutes, but still not bad, overall the conveinences of camping far out way any conveinence of hotel stay, and go on thursday leave early!!

they onlycharge 55 bucks to let you sleep on the ground for 3 nights! wowzer!

a/c. nice bed. getting a great breakfast and lunch. cable. a/c.
    I'm going to put your sidekick in my mojito.

Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedthebird View Post
    Is this an actual planned event, or is it just kind of an informal gathering of campers?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Is this an actual planned event, or is it just kind of an informal gathering of campers?
    There are 10,000 people who camp onsite. By thursday at 10pm at least 66% of the campers have arrived and are looking to party! Everywhere you walk in there are groups of people chill'n, signing, hosting drum circles, smoking, drinking, smoking, and drinking some more. Fun is all around you. Its nuts! Very unplanned yet very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Everywhere you walk in there are groups of people chill'n, signing,
    I'm down...

I've camped once and done the motel 6 thing twice. I prefer the campsite for two reasons, 1) you walk out of the gates and your bed is no more than 200 yards away. 2) traffic after every Coachella sucks. in 2006 I got stuck in traffic for 2hrs+, didn't get to my room until after 3:30 in the morning.

If you're sociable and like to party the campsite is definately the way to go. Last year after Saturday night I got into my tent right around 1ish in the morning, woke up at 3 and the party was still going on. The highlight was when the riot police showed up. However, SUNDAY NIGHT WAS BY FAR THE BEST PARTY NIGHT AT THE CAMPSITE.

4 years ago we rented a hotel. We were stuck in traffic getting out of there for over 3 hours and another 2 hours getting in the next day. We literally spent a total of 10 hours in our crappy hotel that we paid 250$ a night for.

One of the worst vacation moves I have ever made.

We have camped the last three years and it is well worth it.

The heat sucks (I am from Seattle and am not particularly in to the desert)

and sleeping can be tough in the tent but when done properly it isn't that bad.

I've done both (oh well, I stayed in a hotel in 2006) and I prefer camping. Camping during Coachella '07 was the best camping experience I ever had. It's probably the reason why I consider Coachella 2007 (over '06) more memorable or really life changing.

2006 = Hotel
    2007 = Camping
    2008 = Camping
    2009 thru eternity = ? (if I'm going = Camping)
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

I can't imagine what your feet look like after camping and the festival...I do motel and shower twice a day scrub the hell outa my feet and they are still stained with dirt by the time I get back...that's the part I hate about coachella

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    I do motel and shower twice a day scrub the hell outa my feet and they are still stained with dirt by the time I get back...that's the part I hate about coachella

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    I can't imagine what your feet look like after camping and the festival...I do motel and shower twice a day scrub the hell outa my feet and they are still stained with dirt by the time I get back...that's the part I hate about coachella
    On and off-site camping have showers.

My boyfriend is flying out to California right now, and I get to hand him a set of Coachella tickets tonight. I hope likes camping, because thats the choice I settled on! Thanks for all the suggestions.

vinylmartyr

Hotel