Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What bands does everyone rave about that you can't stand?

Default Re: What bands does everyone rave about that you can't stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I understand that maybe some music sounds better live because you have the whole crowd experience and stage show and such, or sometimes bands/musicians change up the sound to make it more acoustic or droney or whatever. But I still don't fully get it when people make the "oh but you have to see them live" comment. Most people have a limited amount of time and money. It seems silly to expect somebody to pay $15-60 for a concert ticket and go and see a band they really don't enjoy on CD just because they might like the sound better in a performance environment. Music festivals are the exception to the rule, I guess, in the sense that you're already there and you've already paid your money. But still, there are usually alternatives which are more appealing than a band you've been unimpressed with via recordings.

point taken and here comes the flak but hearing the Dead on a cd, and going to a Dead concert, is like night and day ... or maybe the flaming lips are a band most could see what i am trying to say ... and if you have to make a hard choice of "which" concert to go to, you maybe should not be going to any and spend your money more wisely ... just a thought .... ron****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I kinda agree with Courtney. We're not really talking about jam bands here, Ron. We're talking about Gogol Bordello.

adding Yeah Yeah Yeah's to my list too.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    me thinks i am going to have a heart attack from this thread ...... i understand the 1st two, even though i like them, but bowie .... he has changed so much thru the years, its like saying you hate 5 different kind of music, or 5 different singers, etc ... i dont get that one ... canx**

i was looking for my bowie pics from the area show, but they must be on my pc at home .....

Ron, I don't even understand the first two. First off, how would Sonic Youth be a band "everybody raves about"? If anything, it's criminal that they have been virtually ignored for 2 decades plus, and if ignored isn;t the right word, overlooked at the very least. They've consistently made excellent records with very little fanfare (at least relative to their peers).

And Jarvis Cocker??? Is this a repudiation of Pulp or just Jarvis solo? Again, I'm not sure how Jarvis solo has been "raved about" by a large number of people, but to the best of my knowledge, there's only been one solo Jarvis album, correct? Kind of a limited sample size. And as for Bowie, I think you said it perfectly. That said, I can't fault anyone for his/her opinion. This list just baffled me.
    -----------------------

Nine Inch Snails
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I understand that maybe some music sounds better live because you have the whole crowd experience and stage show and such, or sometimes bands/musicians change up the sound to make it more acoustic or droney or whatever. But I still don't fully get it when people make the "oh but you have to see them live" comment. Most people have a limited amount of time and money. It seems silly to expect somebody to pay $15-60 for a concert ticket and go and see a band they really don't enjoy on CD just because they might like the sound better in a performance environment. Music festivals are the exception to the rule, I guess, in the sense that you're already there and you've already paid your money. But still, there are usually alternatives which are more appealing than a band you've been unimpressed with via recordings.

I think this is a fair statement. There are bands that are better live but if you do not like any of their recorded material at all there is probably little chance that seeing them live is going to change that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingman00 View Post
    Ron, I don't even understand the first two. First off, how would Sonic Youth be a band "everybody raves about"? If anything, it's criminal that they have been virtually ignored for 2 decades plus, and if ignored isn;t the right word, overlooked at the very least. They've consistently made excellent records with very little fanfare (at least relative to their peers).

And Jarvis Cocker??? Is this a repudiation of Pulp or just Jarvis solo? Again, I'm not sure how Jarvis solo has been "raved about" by a large number of people, but to the best of my knowledge, there's only been one solo Jarvis album, correct? Kind of a limited sample size. And as for Bowie, I think you said it perfectly. That said, I can't fault anyone for his/her opinion. This list just baffled me.
    oh i agree 100 percent on sonic youth but they do have a sound that i think some people just would not like or get .... i dont know enough about jarvis to voice any opinion ....and amy, that is why i used the Flips as an example too, and they are not a jam band, not in my mind anyway ... just a thought cuz i dont know a whole lot about anything canx**

animal collective are incredibly boring to me. sorry pitchfork.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    At first glance I thought that was Broken Social Scene.
    As did I. Though, I dig BSS. Not so much Uffie.

The National I didn't dig at first, but after listening, I really quite dig them now and think they are worth the raves.

Arcade Fire, don't like their recorded stuff all that much but their live show is fantabulous.

A few of my overrated?

QOTSA
    The Mountain Goats
    Tegan and Sara
    Hot Hot Heat
    Wolf Parade
    Controller Controller
    And the list can go on, but really, I could be here for a very long time if I did that.....

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rye View Post
    As did I. Though, I dig BSS. Not so much Uffie.

The National I didn't dig at first, but after listening, I really quite dig them now and think they are worth the raves.

Arcade Fire, don't like their recorded stuff all that much but their live show is fantabulous.

A few of my overrated?

QOTSA
    The Mountain Goats
    Tegan and Sara
    Hot Hot Heat
    Wolf Parade
    Controller Controller
    And the list can go on, but really, I could be here for a very long time if I did that.....

now i can go with that list but i do have some good thoughts and times with qotsa ... canx** tegan and sara played the bridge concert a couple of times, and i really didnt like them ... they are friends of Neil so that is why they were there .....

Quote Originally Posted by Trailmix View Post
    I think this is a fair statement. There are bands that are better live but if you do not like any of their recorded material at all there is probably little chance that seeing them live is going to change that fact.
    i dont agree with this at all. there are plenty of artists whos albums i'm not that into, but i would definitely see them live because they take their albums to a new level live and it sounds a million times better. a good example for me is daft punk, or most electronic acts, for that matter. on album they are so repetitive, but live they mix it up so much that they keep it fresh and exciting. gogol is another one. while i dont mind his albums, i dont really love them either. but their songs have so much more energy live. same with my morning jacket. i'm sure there's others i'm forgetting.

Lurker

now i can go with that list but i do have some good thoughts and times with qotsa ... canx** tegan and sara played the bridge concert a couple of times, and i really didnt like them ... they are friends of Neil so that is why they were there .....
    I saw QOTSA open for NIN and was disappointed in their show. So many people raved about how awesome they are live, but I didn't really get the feel for that seeing them on stage. They just don't do it for me live either.

Tegan and Sara...the only reason to see them is if you like watching awkward fighting between siblings on stage. I don't like their kitchy one chord progression, repetative trite.

I dislike Talking Heads, yeah i said it. I dont know why but there music just doesnt click with me.

That's too bad.

elliott smith

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

another artist I think is completely overrated is Beck.....

I do really like some of his stuff, but after years of hearing how "groundbreaking" or genre defying he is...its kind of made me dislike him....

if you have a broad range of musical interests....he is not really that interesting
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    I fucking love Godspeed....but this is just hilarious

-Dan Deacon
    -The Smiths
    -Black Kids
    I agree with all of these. I can respect Morrisey and The Smiths but I don't get it and his fans are nuts people go about as crazy for him/them like they're the fucking Beatles.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    theres nothing gay about snowballing...

A lot of Sublime's fans and popularity have tainted what goodness they have (which was 80 percent on 40 oz.), but it's almost undeniable that the acoustic version of Pool Shark is a great tune. Especially when listened to in retrospect of his OD, it's just incredibly poignant.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Tiesto doesn't qualify because everyone doesn't rave about him.
    Sooooo many people rave about him. All the ravey little ravers go rave fucking shit for him. It hurts my brain

I guess I interpreted this thread to be about bands that are raved about by people that you generally consider to have good taste or whose opinions you otherwise value.

Edit: Otherwise the thread would easily devolve into an uninteresting list of bad music like My Chemical Romance or Britney Spears or what have you. Given their record sales, they surely must have a lot of fans who rave about them, but I don't find it necessary to explicitly state my disapproval of their music because it's a given.
    Last edited by Courtney; 02-07-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Cannot stand Metallica or Slipknot
    I went through that 7th grade stage where every song i listened to was either Metallica or Slipknot but it has been at least 10 years since i last listend to a Metallica and unfortunately i was at a house party and my friend put Left Behind on just to piss me off, there was drunk belligerance involved and i will never have to here such music again.
    Your books must be in Lajoya... Goodbye

I guess I interpreted this thread to be about bands that are raved about by people that you generally consider to have good taste or whose opinions you otherwise value.

Edit: Otherwise the thread would easily devolve into an uninteresting list of bad music like My Chemical Romance or Britney Spears or what have you. Given their record sales, they surely must have a lot of fans who rave about them, but I don't find it necessary to explicitly state my disapproval of their music because it's a given.
    you're correct,that was my original intent
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Boards of Canada are light years ahead of the rest of the human race.
    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    agreed. They have been for like 15 years.
    can one of you please explain why they are so "ahead"?

Quote Originally Posted by aen90 View Post
    any kind of n****** music...
    Please BAN.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Sonic Youth
    Jarvis Cocker
    David Bowie
    Kill yourself now. All these have actual talent, which is a foreign concept to a beastie boys fan.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Neil Young
    Aphex Twin
    My Bloody Valentine

sorry...most of the bands i hear on here are some of my favorites, but i just do NOT understand the hype of these people, as well as my previous three.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Kill yourself now. All these have actual talent, which is a foreign concept to a beastie boys fan.
    why the fuck are you taking this personally? Im not saying they are bad artists... Im saying I dont enjoy the music. Thats it.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    Neil Young
    Aphex Twin
    My Bloody Valentine
    Says the guy offended by me not liking Mark Ronson. lol

Neil Young > Bob Dylan. I said it, fuck it.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    why the fuck are you taking this personally? Im not saying they are bad artists... Im saying I dont enjoy the music. Thats it.
    Because it's fun!

Not really. God, I'm so fucking bored.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    False.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Says the guy offended by me not liking Mark Ronson. lol

true

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield