Thread: You cannot escape Jack Johnson

Default You cannot escape Jack Johnson

Jack's headlining Bonnaroo, too.

and the NY Times says he'll be headlining All Points West as well.

Every time you walk out your door this spring, Jack Johnson will be in your face with his sandal-approved noodling.

Default Re: You cannot escape Jack Johnson

I'm expecting him to open some restaurants/bars like Sammy Hagar and Jimmy Buffett soon.

Cabo Wabo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_wabo

Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_B...Margaritaville

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

why is this guy everywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Stop starting JJ threads.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I think it's all a conspiracy. I think all the major festivals got together and said. Hey we don't have enough money to hire headliners for every day this year.

Hey, let's get this Jack Johnson guy. He's cheap and if we all book him right when his album comes out maybe people will get caught up in the hype and he will become so famous that people will never question the fact why we booked him as a headliner.

And then we will have saved money and booked a viable headliner.

Just kidding!

Jack Johnson has his own festival that he is headlining the weekend before Coachella..

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Stor...?StoryID=12834

Coachella Junkie

You guys, we have to stick together. We can survive this.

This is the year of the Johnson.

Is Jack Johnson his real name or not?

guess I'll answer my own question... .>/

Jack Hody Johnson (born May 18, 1975) is a Hawaiian born singer-songwriter, musician, filmmaker, and surfer who achieved commercial success and a dedicated following, after the release of his debut album, Brushfire Fairytales in 2001. He has since released four more albums, and a number of EPs. His music genre is best described as acoustic/soft rock/adult alternative.Jack Johnson learned how to surf and skate from his father's best friend Alex Conell.

Jack learned to play the guitar at age 14. Jack was a professional surfer until an accident at Pipeline in which his front teeth were knocked out and he received more than 150 stitches. While he was recovering in bed, he spent his time writing songs and playing guitar. However, Jack didn't seriously pursue a career in the arts until his college years at the University of California, Santa Barbara. While in school, he met his wife Kim, a Carlsbad, CA, native who double-majored in Math and Fine Art. They welcomed a son, Moe, in 2004. Jack Johnson also played rhythm guitar for the party band "Soil," and graduated with a degree in film.

In 2000, Johnson directed a surf film entitled Thicker than Water with his film school friend Chris Malloy. The film features breaks from Indonesia, Tahiti, India, Ireland, France, Australia, and Hawaii, and Johnson provides various rhythms for the soundtrack, with some appearances being performed by G. Love & Special Sauce. Two years later, Johnson also directed another film entitled The September Sessions.

In 2002, Johnson founded Brushfire Records which released the soundtracks for the aforementioned films. Other artists on that label include Matt Costa, Animal Liberation Orchestra, G. Love & Special Sauce, and Rogue Wave.

In 2004, Johnson co-founded the Kokua Hawaii Foundation, which is a non-profit organization that supports environmental education in the schools and communities of Hawaii. The Kokua Festival is the Kokua Hawaii Foundation's annual benefit event that brings together environmental organizations, eco-friendly businesses, musicians, artists, teachers, and community leaders to promote environmental awareness in Hawaii.

Johnson's latest album, Sleep Through the Static was recorded with 100% solar energy.

Johnson has stated in several interviews that a big part of his success involved his friends recording "bootlegs" of his tracks and distributing them at surf competitions. Johnson has also stated that he supports the sharing of live recordings and bootlegs of his music, many of which can be found here.

"It's pretty crazy. There's stuff I would find online that I'd only given to one friend, so I know how it got there," Johnson says. "It's been a spider-web effect. That's the whole reason all this [success] started. I'm sure there's lots of people who hate [downloading], but I really dig it."

Albums
    Brushfire Fairytales (2001)
    On and On (2003)
    In Between Dreams (2005)
    Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George (2006)
    Sleep Through the Static (2008)

Forget Jack Johnson. A real headliner would be J. Jonah Jameson:

Lurker

As a fellow hawaii resident,we are proud of jack. of his music, of his concern for hawaii's environment.

his Kokua Festival helps school kids and the community understand how we can help out the earth's environment. past guests of this festival: willie nelson, eddie vedder, ben harper, jackson browne, g love and special sauce, ozomatli, matt costa. this year dave matthews will be in the lineup.

so i'll probably get to see jack 2 weekends on a row! in waikiki shell on oahu, and then in the beautiful indio, ca!

as for not escaping him, he also has an article about him in february's SPIN magazine!

Aloha!

I get it '08 is the Hawaii invasion. Overdue perhaps. HI in da house. Holla back at yer boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Songoboy View Post
    As a fellow hawaii resident,we are proud of jack. of his music, of his concern for hawaii's environment.

his Kokua Festival helps school kids and the community understand how we can help out the earth's environment. past guests of this festival: willie nelson, eddie vedder, ben harper, jackson browne, g love and special sauce, ozomatli, matt costa. this year dave matthews will be in the lineup.

so i'll probably get to see jack 2 weekends on a row! in waikiki shell on oahu, and then in the beautiful indio, ca!

as for not escaping him, he also has an article about him in february's SPIN magazine!

Aloha!
    While I highly respect JJ for his environmentalism...and his community work...I just feel that his music lacks the fire needed to headline a festival like Coachella (or Bonnaroo for that matter) nothing against the man...and no one would have given 2 thoughts about him being there if he wasn't the headliner....
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Songoboy View Post

Aloha!
    exactly what teamcoach said.. JJ is a good person and all, but whether or not you headline coachella is determined by your music, not by a background like that. should he play coachella? sure. should he headline? nope.

There is no denying he has done alot, between the albums, surfing, starting his own record label, movies, environmentalism, etc.

As person I think he's a great guy. I'm just not that into his music...

Other projects

In 2000, Johnson directed a surf film entitled Thicker than Water with his film school friend Chris Malloy.[4] The film features breaks from Indonesia, Tahiti, India, Ireland, France, Australia, and Hawaii, and Johnson provides various rhythms for the soundtrack, with some appearances being performed by G. Love & Special Sauce. Two years later, Johnson also directed another film entitled The September Sessions.[5]

In 2002, Johnson founded Brushfire Records[6] which released the soundtracks for the aforementioned films. Other artists on that label include Matt Costa, Animal Liberation Orchestra, G. Love & Special Sauce, and Rogue Wave.[7]

In 2004, Johnson co-founded the Kokua Hawaii Foundation, which is a non-profit organization that supports environmental education in the schools and communities of Hawaii. The Kokua Festival is the Kokua Hawaii Foundation's annual benefit event that brings together environmental organizations, eco-friendly businesses, musicians, artists, teachers, and community leaders to promote environmental awareness in Hawaii.

Johnson's latest album, Sleep Through the Static was recorded with 100% solar energy.

Lurker

aloha everlay!

did you know goldenvoice used to produce a "Big Mele" Festival in Hawaii in the 90's? it had a 6 year (or so) run. they had a lot of acts that we in hawaii were grateful that goldenvoice helped bring to us: primus, STP, tool, incubus.....and that was in just in the first year! goldenvoice also brought over: no doubt, dance hall crashers, NOFX, blink-182, cypress hill, wu-tang clan, social distortion, pennywise, candlebox,matchbox 20.....

goldenvoice also brought to hawaii cocteau twins, weezer, jane's addiction, etc. etc... so i am grateful to goldenvoice!

and then my older brother, who relocated to L.A. more than a decade ago, told me about this festival....you know i would go and support it!

I agree that the past had great acts the first year i went (The Cure, Radiohead). So i’ve been flying over every year since!

I also agree that this year’s line-up is not stellar, but the thought of seeing other new acts (plus Love and Rockets, who goldenvoice also brought to hawaii) was enough for me to get tickets, ask for vacation time and get plane tickets!

Aloha Goldenvoice!

Cocteau Twins and Primus would be a great add....

Jack Johnson went to my school. I ain't proud of it. It's like most of the student body idolize as a God or something.

I'd rather see Don Johnson team up with Barbra Streisand to sing their hit song 'Till I Loved You.'

But in all honesty, Universal probably pays these festivals a lot of money to have him play at their festivals. Putting on a festival is pretty expensive, so they gotta take all that payola they can get.

The epidemic of cluelessness abounds....

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Default Re: You cannot escape, Jack Johnson

i was thinking that the title meant you trapped him and he had no escape

(added comma)
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Default Re: You cannot escape, Jack Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkings View Post
    i was thinking that the title meant you trapped him and he had no escape

(added comma)

How I wish that were true. But then half the festivals in the U.S. would lose a headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Cocteau Twins and Primus would be a great add....
    I hoping for the hives
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

I just saw Jack Johnson perform at a rally at the State Capitol here in Honolulu protesting the decision of the state government to cut the budget by closing all public schools on Fridays. There were maybe 200 people there, max.

It was at was at once disheartening that not more people care about education, and heartening that not more people care about hearing Jack Johnson sing.

His live concert movie is playing the 27th at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica...

http://www.fandango.com/jackjohnson:...ate=10/27/2009