Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: downloading music is illegal.

Default Re: downloading music is illegal.

Do people still use torrents? Maybe for older shit and TV, but not for anything new (or, more likely, pre-release).
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Do people still use torrents? Maybe for older shit and TV, but not for anything new (or, more likely, pre-release).
    Yes, for EVERYTHING, new or old. Thats how it usually gets on the net first.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I got over downloading music after napster got shut down.

Thanks lars... asshole.
    napster in 2000 was way better than anything similar out now....
    (bigger selection of files and more user friendly)

you would think that 8 years later we'd have something comparable....

but i don't download music...

it's illegal...

lowfront

Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    napster in 2000 was way better than anything similar out now....
    (bigger selection of files and more user friendly)

you would think that 8 years later we'd have something comparable....

but i don't download music...

it's illegal...

you clearly don't download music

what and waffles arn't even comparable to napster because it blows it out of the water....

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Yes, for EVERYTHING, new or old. Thats how it usually gets on the net first.
    Some people will argue that it's the scene that gets shit on the net first, but even scene releases are pretty useless for music these days. Their dominance over the net is pretty much past.

sonfohal, what do you use if not torrents? There's really nothing better at the moment, the selection and quality of files on sites like Waffles, etc. isn't really comparable to anything else.

And lol @ people still using isohunt and, even worse, Limewire. I wish I had invites to spare just to show you guys the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    Theres a difference from being cheap and poor
    Who gives a fuck if you're poor? It's called living within your means. If you can't afford to go on vacation to Disneyland, then you don't get to go. It's the same with music, if you can't afford to be buying music, then you can't afford music; you're fucked. Get a job. Don't buy heroin. Whatever you have to do, but don't make excuses as to why you get to steal from people.

You want music for free? Turn on the radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Who gives a fuck if you're poor? It's called living within your means. If you can't afford to go on vacation to Disneyland, then you don't get to go. It's the same with music, if you can't afford to be buying music, then you can't afford music; you're fucked. Get a job. Don't buy heroin. Whatever you have to do, but don't make excuses as to why you get to steal from people.

You want music for free? Turn on the radio.

its just not fair that I buy music and people out there just download it for and not feel guilty. I actually give a shit about the band or artist. Have you guys of ever heard of buying your CDs at used cd stores or amazon has sellers that sell their used cds also. That is where I buy my music from.

what artists/bands should start doing is locking their albums to keep people from burning copies or uploading it to the net. If you want to upload it into your MP3 player it should come with an authorization code so you could download the mp3s which would also be locked.
    Last edited by Stainofmind; 03-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    Years gone to Coachella

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

The following members on this board can Suck a Dick

Blackswan

Passive Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Stainofmind View Post
    its just not fair that I buy music and people out there just download it for and not feel guilty. I actually give a shit about the band or artist. Have you guys of ever heard of buying your CDs at used cd stores or amazon has sellers that sell their used cds also. That is where I buy my music from.

what artists/bands should start doing is locking their albums to keep people from burning copies or uploading it to the net. If you want to upload it into your MP3 player it should come with an authorization code so you could download the mp3s which would also be locked.
    You do realize that the artist sees about 0.1% of the cost of that $20 CD you buy right? If you care about the artist you will go to their show when they are in town and you will buy a t shirt. The only thing downloading music does for artists is expose them to people who otherwise would not have heard of them and thus increase sales of live shows. Downloading music does not financially hurt artists. It hurts labels. And labels can suck a dick.

RIP OiNK!

oh, how i miss the quality.

You are a dipshit. A complete and utter moron. You do realize that you aren't providing a single cent to the artists by buying used albums, right? The resale market serves only the vendors. What you're doing is paying for the same thing as an illegal download, and, yes, despite the fact that they don't enforce it, a recent case determined that sharing cds between friends and ripping an mp3 to your computer from a cd is illegal. You buy the rights to that shiny plastic disc, and nothing else. Ask most of the bands at Coachella, and they'll tell you that they support "illegal" downloading, because they don't make anything through major market sales. Their money comes from touring and tour merchandise. Get off your high horse, you've got saddle sores.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lowfront View Post
    you clearly don't download music

what and waffles arn't even comparable to napster because it blows it out of the water....
    i used "macster" the mac version of napster and i could find some obscure ass music on there...

i use limewire every now and then for some songs but it effing sucks...

torrents are cool for whole albums or discographies...

and i've never used that waffle.fm site, so maybe thats better...

i just like to be able to download dustin diamond singing always and forever at a karaoke bar (which i found on macster)....

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    You are a dipshit. A complete and utter moron. You do realize that you aren't providing a single cent to the artists by buying used albums, right? The resale market serves only the vendors. What you're doing is paying for the same thing as an illegal download, and, yes, despite the fact that they don't enforce it, a recent case determined that sharing cds between friends and ripping an mp3 to your computer from a cd is illegal. You buy the rights to that shiny plastic disc, and nothing else. Ask most of the bands at Coachella, and they'll tell you that they support "illegal" downloading, because they don't make anything through major market sales. Their money comes from touring and tour merchandise. Get off your high horse, you've got saddle sores.
    Word. And I buy it if I LOVE it. In theory, that could direct labels to the power supporting of GOOD music, not the product, since most bands have a hard time affording quality studio work. Mostly though, just d/l the fucking music and show love by buying tickets.

fuck you asshole.

back your shit up and tell me which bands support illegal downloading?

heres mine

some have mix feelings, some are against it but none are for it.

LAMB OF GOD, SOILWORK, DEVILDRIVER Singers Sound Off On Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=87411

NIGHTWISH Mainman Discusses Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=89865

OPETH Mainman On Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=89546

PRIMORDIAL Frontman: 'We Stand Opposed' To Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=85221

TOOL Frontman Sounds Off On Illegal Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=85019

OZZY OSBOURNE Says He's Been 'Suffering Terribly' From Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=83911

REZNOR On Illegal Downloading: 'The Reality Is That People Think It's OK To Steal Music'
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=83892

MUDVAYNE Singer On Illegal Music Downloading: 'Stealing Is Stealing'
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=82905

Theres more but that is all i am going to post. I want to know which bands support downloading music.

Theres nothing wrong with buying used CDs. If I see it at a used CD store its because the person who owned it before did not like it. The record label and band already made their money.

and to kingsblend420

Where do you buy your Cds at? I would never pay 20 dollars for a CD. Thats way too much. The most I'll pay is 14 dollars including tax. I buy my cds at best buy, circuit city, or Target. Fuck FYE. How do you think Tower Records and Sam Goody went out of business.

I fucken hate downloading music anyways because it sounds like shit.
    Years gone to Coachella

Blackswan

Passive Theory

LAMB OF GOD, SOILWORK, DEVILDRIVER Singers Sound Off On Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=87411

NIGHTWISH Mainman Discusses Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=89865

OPETH Mainman On Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=89546

PRIMORDIAL Frontman: 'We Stand Opposed' To Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=85221

TOOL Frontman Sounds Off On Illegal Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=85019

OZZY OSBOURNE Says He's Been 'Suffering Terribly' From Illegal Music Downloading
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=83911

REZNOR On Illegal Downloading: 'The Reality Is That People Think It's OK To Steal Music'
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=83892

MUDVAYNE Singer On Illegal Music Downloading: 'Stealing Is Stealing'
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=82905
    These are your choices? How about the fact that Trent Reznor is a known and active member of many torrent communities, where he uploads his music FOR FREE, including the new Ghosts album, which he himself leaked. Or Gnarls Barkley, who, after their first single leaked, directed people to where they could download it for free. Do you see almost any of those bands playing Coachella? No, because they don't (with the exception of Tool and Trent) have the mindset of most Coachella bands; they are more established, and they would suffer were labels to die. Record labels are running an antiquated system, and bands are increasingly recognizing this, and responding in kind by releasing music on their own, either for free or for nominal fees,. It's becoming commonplace.

These are your choices? How about the fact that Trent Reznor is a known and active member of many torrent communities, where he uploads his music FOR FREE, including the new Ghosts album, which he himself leaked. Or Gnarls Barkley, who, after their first single leaked, directed people to where they could download it for free. Do you see almost any of those bands playing Coachella? No, because they don't (with the exception of Tool and Trent) have the mindset of most Coachella bands; they are more established, and they would suffer were labels to die. Record labels are running an antiquated system, and bands are increasingly recognizing this, and responding in kind by releasing music on their own, either for free or for nominal fees,. It's becoming commonplace.

it doesnt have to be bands playing coachella. I am talking about in general. I take that you did not bother reading the articles. If bands did not have record labels and were releasing it on their own would you still illegally download it or pay for it knowing that all the money is going to them and not anyone else.
    Years gone to Coachella

Blackswan

Passive Theory

I buy tons of music. On average about 6 CDs a week, and I go to about 3 or 4 shows a week. I download things because I'm not going to just buy an album without knowing what I'm getting into with an unknown band that I've read one good review about. It's more incentive if you buy from the band yes, but CDs are just flak now anyway, seeing as how everything is easier to carry digitally. Vinyl is still nice to own, but CDs are fading fast.

Buggy whip factories were probably really pissed off about the invention of the motor car too. Music needs to accept the fact that technology has forced that it either find a new vehicle of distribution that will provide some quality attribute that cannot be digitized (highly unlikely) or just adapt to the fact that they're not going to make dick from selling the music itself. Get touring, music.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I downloaded Ghosts directly from Trent on the trackers!

Did he tell what was his user name in oink?

downloading is just fucking lazy...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Buggy whip factories were probably really pissed off about the invention of the motor car too. Music needs to accept the fact that technology has forced that it either find a new vehicle of distribution that will provide some quality attribute that cannot be digitized (highly unlikely) or just adapt to the fact that they're not going to make dick from selling the music itself. Get touring, music.
    they should sell flash drives that come with the new album along with some videos and behind the scenes stuff and maybe throw in some old exclusive higher quality live recordings...

of course the flash drives would be all cool looking and be different with every artist... you could download the files to your comp and use the flash drive for files or whatever... or you could carry around your drives and plug them in to the flash drive players in cars or what not (which they should make too)...

i'd pay 12 bucks for that...

they should sell flash drives that come with the new album along with some videos and behind the scenes stuff and maybe throw in some old exclusive higher quality live recordings...

of course the flash drives would be all cool looking and be different with every artist... you could download the files to your comp and use the flash drive for files or whatever... or you could carry around your drives and plug them in to the flash drive players in cars or what not (which they should make too)...

what you pay for scratch n' sniff ??

Banned

scratch n sniff?

depends...

details, please...

any artist of your your choice..

$166.

I would love it if this is what were to happen to Enter Shikari's music.

Or, better yet, the members of Enter Shikari themselves.

Artists get robbed when it comes to CDs, and even worse when it comes to digital sales. You know what the Hollywood Writer's Guild was striking over? Digital sales, among other things, because the studios, in their infinite wisdom, continued to distribute the wealth of digital sales (meaning webisodes, cellphone wallpapers; essentially the equivalent of ringtones) in a clearly slighting method for the writers.

Musicians, thankfully, have other means of income other than CD sales (even though the newest trend is that record companies are demanding shares of live sales in order to sign artists, which is a fucking travesty), but otherwise they'd be up shit creek like the television/movie writers are/were/have been.

In short, buying a record, unless from (virtually) the hands of the artist themselves, isn't an act of supporting an artist. It's an act of supporting the archaic system of record distribution that has screwed the artist for decades.

Seriously, go fucking read David Byrne's interview in Wired about record distribution and you'll understand how bands get shafted. Also, Metal music has ALWAYS been about greed (KISS), so if you're going to cite artists that have issues with file sharing, you shouldn't cite artists of the genre that spawned assholes like Lars Ulrich.

Then again, I bet Enter Shikari have some insightful thoughts in terms of file sharing that I know you want to quote. =D
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

shame you belt buckle losers

That being said, I still buy CDs on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Usually from the bargain bin, so I end up supporting the record store more so than the label.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    That being said, I still buy CDs on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Usually from the bargain bin, so I end up supporting the record store more so than the label.
    bargin bin?? you must love your people... yeah your San Diego guitar rock people! shame on you you need to be listening to the Field or something!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
    any artist of your your choice..
    courtney love... i'd pay $2.50 extra for that..