Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salton sea

Default salton sea

Is anyone camping at salton sea state park? kinda feel like I made a big mistake in booking it.

Default Re: salton sea

You did, salton sea is a a dump, literally. The lake itself is just a polluted mess, and the surrounding area is VERY run-down and ghetto.

Fuck

from the pictures ive seen, it looks like Half-Life 2

I would kinda be interested in roaming around the area....but i dont think i would camp at the state park. I heard the smell gets really bad there.

some bizzare pics:

You're screwed. The Salton Sea tends to stink up the Coachella Valley every now and then. But ya...you made a HUGE mistake. That place is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by thaipod View Post
    I raped three children, did heroin, harrassed a horse, set fire to an emo kid, and stole a cart of churros.

THIS TRULY IS THE LAND OF THE FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chargers View Post
    Is anyone camping at salton sea state park? kinda feel like I made a big mistake in booking it.
    oh yeah I forgot about the park on the old hwy111, that place was the shit like in the 60's before the park got contaminated, dude that is gonna be one lonely drive all the way out there its so far from the festival its only 45 min but it feels longer cause its an old lonely hwy that no one uses anymore it feel like a ghost town you should google salton sea then youll see what were talkin about fuck it get piss drunk do some meth with one of the local tweakers and get lost in the sea that place is fucken weird dude its the scenery for a bunch of movies wierd fucken tripped out movies most notably SALTON SEA starring val kilmer its about tweakers

it looks damn eerie
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

All it needs is a few rusted-out cars and the Salton Sea would be straight up Mad Max.

LOL....have fun.

I stayed there in 2005, cause they changed the rules at Lake Cahuilla that year (you had to book overflow spots). Other than the 45 minute drive, the Salton Sea wasn't that bad. It was pretty quiet, but we found a few party people. Everyone we met was cool. It was all Coachella Campers no lurking tweakers. It might not be too late to transfer your reservation though, if you want to be closer.

My husband and I camped by the Salton Sea in 2004, 2005 AND 2006. We found it to be a really amazing experience. Sure, swimming in the sea isn't a good idea, but it's a beautiful area nonetheless, and the showers at Headquarters are really nice, the people who stay there are nice, and it's just a really great low-key experience.

We love it so much that we went back again and again, and the only reason we are not staying there again this year is because we have a sick cat at home and are flying this year instead of doing the 10 hour drive thing (to cut down on the amount of time we are gone). We VERY MUCH recommend the Salton Sea--it is a wonderful respite from the crowds of Coachella, and you can do whatever you want when you're there!

Banned

Bring a gun.

E

me and 5 friends from wisconsin are staying at the salton sea, you can grill there and bring your own liquor in unlike coachalla so we just decidied to stay although i heard its not the nicest place as long as we can do our own thing i wont complain

dude if youre going camping there during coachella chances are youre there to sleep,shower and drink i mean if you wanna admire it do it in the dark at least i do and its not as bad as the pix make it seem im gonna so be there and have a good time

Party on the Salton Sea, Thursday the 26th. Follow your nose to the sent of good cooking and your special flavored tabacoo. We have 16 in our group and plan on making our own coachella at the Mecca State Beach Park. Girls and alcoholics welcome(byobab). Ill be the one on the grill

eli

ha-ha-ha!!!!! ur funny!!!!

We mean business. A duty to get a little sloppy around the edge's and conversate with new people. Nice little fire, maybe a few guitars and jam. This is my third year camping there(Mecca State Beach Park Campgrounds), and everyone camping there is usually attending coachella. Except for the few that looked at a map and saw a big lake on map and thought it might be a nice place to camp. All I gotta say is when water glows in the dark and has a redish tent during the day, you know something ain't right. www.historychannel.com aired a few specials on american blunders and Salton Sea being on of them. Last year 06' with a few friends stubbled drunk towards the water around 2am and watch small glowing wave's. Toss some sand into the water at night, it's a trip :/

post some pictures up if you have any, i seen those shitty ones but those dont have any campground in it, just curious to see what kind of environment im going to be camping in for 4 days

Salton Sea fish losses blamed on cold spell
    February 11, 2007
    SALTON SEA — Hundreds of thousands of rotting fish have been found along the shoreline of California's largest lake in a rare winter die-off because of last month's cold snap. It's unclear how many of the estimated 200 million fish in the Salton Sea...
    (from LATimes.com)

It's stinky there now.

That shouldnt bother us in late april, but that probably means the fly count will be real high. 04 it was the flys that woke me up and 06 it was the sun and the farking trains. either way it will be a party on the sea.

this will be my 4th year going and 3rd year at the salton sea. I look forward to parting with you guys. We're from Austin and we pick up a buddy in El Paso on our way. I hope they didn't change the rules and start taking reservations.

From what I remeber, the heat woke us up around 7-8am in 06 and in 04 it was the flies. Guess it's gonna be the flies this year. And you haven't seen flies like the one in the desert. These mo fo's are suicidal.

ok, so i fucked up and thought the camping passes were going to be available like last year, anyway the closest camping site i found was salton sea so i said fuck it i'm staying at the salton sea ... this is my first time there and i was wondering if more people were going to be there i was about to open a new thread but now i see that we're not alone ...
    later, and see you at the sea!
    "What a horrible noise the plebs make when they're happy"...

so how soon would one need to show up to get a spot on Mecca State Beach?

Id say by Thurseday late afternoon inbetween 7-9. I remeber last year there were about 100 cars coming in at 2-3am.

hey cocabean! i have a question for you man, you see i made reservation to salton sea, i made them form th-sun; anyway i can't get there before say 10-11pm on Thursday, so my question is: do they let people in at that time? maybe even later? or should i just wait to get there early Friday morning?
    if you know what's up, please let me know .. thanks dude.
    "What a horrible noise the plebs make when they're happy"...

yea, the gates stay open throughout the night. the camp grounds we're staying don't take reservations if I recall(Mecca State Beach Park). so you might want to find out which place your staying at and make a post with the name of the place.

Camped at the Salton Sea the past 2 years and looking forward to heading back. It's always full with Coachella goers, plenty of partying going on but spacious enough if you just feel like chilling by the fire (definite perk over onsite). Most of the campsites have trees, position your tent to be shaded in the morning and you'll be able to squeeze in a few extra moments of sleep. Bathrooms are fine, so are the showers. The drive to the polo fields usually takes around 25-30 minutes, drive back a bit longer due to traffic (definite drawback). There's a small grocery store on the way that serves up damn good burritos for cheap (very spicy).

And yes, the lake at night does glow, and yes, its pretty amazing. Its caused by bioluminescent bacteria that emit light due to movements within the water. Chuck a handful of crusted salt into the water and it lights up like fireworks (and no the water is not toxic, just salty). This happens out in oceans all the time, used to freak sailors out back in the day. I believe the Salton Sea is one of the few places inland where you can see this (not sure if this occurs all the time though, dont remember seeing it our first year).

And get there early on thursday, the sunsets are beautiful.

All I can remeber is being really intoxicated and walking over to the water late at night and see the little waves come in. WHAT A TRIP. Like bluebox said, take a hand full of sand and toss in the water. That's something else.
    LA LA LA LA LA, LA LA LA la la la. Wa dada dang, wa da dada dang, listen to my 9mm go bang
    -"KRS1"

I, personally, love the Salton Sea. my dad has a vacation house there. yes, it is run down, still though, it cool experience.
    "A man of genius is privileged only as far as he is genius. His dullness is as insupportable as any other dullness." --Ralph Waldo Emerson