Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to good old rock music?

Default What happened to good old rock music?

Line up pretty much sucks this year.....Roger Waters is getting the big headliner for the last night.... now if David Gilmore was also there it would be worth it....trying to pass off partial pink floyd but the last night headliner - how can that even slightly compare with past shows...especially have RAGE last year. What the hell is all of this electronic techo crap? It's everywhere.....Portishead and Kraftwerk as headliners???? What is there to see in these types of performances...who rocks to this? The first night is the best at least we have real music! Not just a bunch of machines people operate to make really cool noises. Is that music? Well, I guess we all have different opinions and I am getting old. At least Flogging Molly - Gogol Bordello - The Raconteurs the Breeders and Love and ROckets....they are my saving grace for this year even going. Hopefully I may get to hear some new bands that aren't so techo.
    Hey Brett Dennen....cool - he's on the bottom........I hear National may rock? Will hope to check them out. If any of you know of some decent music other than techno/synthesizer stuff - give me a heads up on who to check out. THANKS!

Default Re: What happened to good old rock music?

there is exactly one (1) tent that has electronic music. it is located at the far end of the festival. fairly easy to avoid.

whiney pain in butt

it died with your grandparents. now stfu and gbtw!

i have to agree... seems like 3/5 of the line up are button pushers/knob turners......
    fyi....The Raconteurs do use a synth to go along with their real instruments.....

as long as there are some crazy visuals and easy to find generous potheads, i won't mind checking out the electronic stuff...
    aaaaaahhhgagagagagagagagoooooooo

See: My Morning Jacket
    Just because you glittards want to candyflip to subpar French house doesn't mean real people don't still like rock music.

take this rockist bullshit elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    take this rockist bullshit elsewhere
    Exactly.

Open up your ears to different music types you IGNORANT fool.
    Recent studies at Yale have shown that being an asshole is detrimental to one's health. Professor Sweetlove, a Psychology professor, came on record as saying:
    "Assholes and local desert rats tend to live shorter lives and have less consensual sexual relations than non assholes. It could be due to lower testoserone levels or a chemical imbalance in the brain but some people are just wired to be.... well.... assholes"
    Full story can be found here. AP

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrus View Post
    Exactly.

Open up your ears to different music types you IGNORANT fool.
    I'm not sure why the guy is ignorant because he doesn't like electronic music. But whatever.

The first night is the best at least we have real music! Not just a bunch of machines people operate to make really cool noises. Is that music?
    Is a guitar not a machine for making noise? How about and amplifier? is an amplifier not a machine for making noise. Where do you draw the line?

Obviously I know what you are trying to say, but really man, if it sounds good and evokes some sort of emotional/physical stimulation, what's the difference?

wait wait.

r u like saying people have different tastes and some years you likes better than others? omgz. me too.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Coachella is my favorite festival because of the genre bending. I'm probably a 70/30 on the rock/electronic continuum.

The rock side does seem to be lacking this year. Last year was freaking epic though - Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blonde Redhead, Arctic Monkeys, etc. It was definitely a more rockin' year; even the biggest tent acts were rockin' (eg. LCD, Rapture, Happy Mondays).

This year is more low-key in general, but I've noticed that the "rock" acts are more specifically kinda soft-rock (Jack Johnson, Death Cab, Verve, Waters). This is all fine and good in measured doses, but I'd love for one or two balls-to-the-wall RAWK bands to be added.

Sometimes a boy just needs to rage, ya know?

Face it, Rage won't be there this year. And there won't be anything huge like that this year. That being said, maybe you should try listening to the different bands and see what you like. There's always been a ton of different kinds of bands at Coachella. And if you don't like what you hear, why don't you just go to the Warped Tour instead?

just sounds like you need to do some research thats all. coachella used to be mostly electronica look at 1999. I love it and I love great rock too
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

whiney pain in butt

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    wait wait.

r u like saying people have different tastes and some years you likes better than others? omgz. me too.
    lol. i heart this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dangel View Post
    Is a guitar not a machine for making noise? How about and amplifier? is an amplifier not a machine for making noise. Where do you draw the line?

Obviously I know what you are trying to say, but really man, if it sounds good and evokes some sort of emotional/physical stimulation, what's the difference?
    ugh, i always thought the same thing about electric guitars.... It's distorted..

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Coachella is my favorite festival because of the genre bending. I'm probably a 70/30 on the rock/electronic continuum.

The rock side does seem to be lacking this year. Last year was freaking epic though - Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blonde Redhead, Arctic Monkeys, etc. It was definitely a more rockin' year; even the biggest tent acts were rockin' (eg. LCD, Rapture, Happy Mondays).

This year is more low-key in general, but I've noticed that the "rock" acts are more specifically kinda soft-rock (Jack Johnson, Death Cab, Verve, Waters). This is all fine and good in measured doses, but I'd love for one or two balls-to-the-wall RAWK bands to be added.

Turbonegro, The Horrors, Flogging Molly (Plus A few More) - see them to rage!
    "Yeah chicks go nuts for that... the male camel toe."
    "Yea yea! The camel tail."

no comment.
    ya fuckass.

Quote Originally Posted by kf2rock View Post
    At least Flogging Molly - Gogol Bordello - The Raconteurs the Breeders and Love and ROckets
    lol wut
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Quote Originally Posted by mandelbaum View Post
    I'm not sure why the guy is ignorant because he doesn't like electronic music. But whatever.
    I didn't say he was ignorant just for not liking electronic music.
    Each to their own as long as it is a knowlegable decision.

I highly doubt he's ever even had a listen to the varying spectrums of electronic music out there - house, breaks, drum n bass, trance, electro, techno (PROPER techno), minimal, 2 step, garage & hardcore to name a few (and I haven't even listed crossover or sub genres).

I was saying he was ignorant for passing off an entire genre of music, questioning it's existance as even BEING music. THAT is being ignorant.

What the hell is all of this electronic techo crap? It's everywhere.....Portishead and Kraftwerk as headliners???? What is there to see in these types of performances...// //...Is that music?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/music

mu·sic –noun
    1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

And just in case you need a refresher on what the term ignorant means:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

ig·no·rant –adjective
    1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

kthxbi
    Recent studies at Yale have shown that being an asshole is detrimental to one's health. Professor Sweetlove, a Psychology professor, came on record as saying:
    "Assholes and local desert rats tend to live shorter lives and have less consensual sexual relations than non assholes. It could be due to lower testoserone levels or a chemical imbalance in the brain but some people are just wired to be.... well.... assholes"

blah post - noun
    1. that
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Quote Originally Posted by MonsoonSeason View Post
    blah post - noun
    1. that
    well technically blah would be an adjective modifying the noun, blah post would be a phrase wouldnt it?

Coachella Junkie

If you do not know who Kraftwerk is, then you have yet to be properly schooled in the history of music in general.

please note, i said if you DONT KNOW WHO, not IF YOU DONT LIKE.

Is that to say Arctic Monkeys are "Balls-to-the-wall RAWK?"
    "Yes, I am indeed beautiful! Sometimes I sit and wonder, in my artless Japanese way, why it is that I am so much more attractive than anybody else in the whole world. Can this be vanity? No! Nature is lovely and rejoices in her loveliness. I am a child of Nature, and take after my mother."

Quote Originally Posted by Cancersticks1 View Post
    Is that to say Arctic Monkeys are "Balls-to-the-wall RAWK?"
    They aren't Ministry, but I think they qualify; yes.

This guy killed it.
    The Tinychat password is coache11a

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloka View Post
    Share the art bus to enhance the festival... can be used as stage for band ...
    I can also come early and help set up ...
    How can you say no to this offer, Goldenvoice?

i dont know why everybody is hating on this dude's thread. i mean, synth/electo/dance stuff is great, but this lineup is lacking on the good old fashion rock element.

Dude, IS THAT THE REAL BILLY CRYSTAL!!?!?!

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

i love rock! but i also like a wide variety of music.. it's always good to expand your horizons and to love a little musical fussion...

btw, i love that they've booked jamie cullum in the past.. THAT is musical diversity

Maybe you have Coachella confused with The Family Values Tour, or perhaps Ozzfest if that's the only music you're into. Hey, I pretty much only listened to Rock, Classic Rock, and Metal for the most part before going to Coach, but I opened my mind and discovered that electric/techno stuff hit a different nerve. Now I can enjoy both...and then some.

Jethro Tull is playing in Indio August 16, 2008. I saw them back in the 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.