Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: What would have become of Nirvana?

Default Re: What would have become of Nirvana?

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    You are the one using insults and taking offense to everything. It's coming across like you have a superiority complex, maybe that's why people are semi-hostile towards you.

If you don't like Nirvana it's fine. But If you think none of the best books, poems, music, art, whatever in history don't derive from angst and smiles are always necessary than we simply will never see eye-to-eye. To say "either you feel it or you don't" takes away the entire point of art,: to debate and develop thoughts and spread messages. That's why it's subjective.

And for the record I said "a lot" of music not "all".
    I am not getting into this fight but I do disagree with one point about feeling music. What about bands that have no vocals or songs from bands that are instrumental. Just saying . Cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Hey menik,
    Where can I pre-order the super deluxe edition from? I want to get on that asap.

Edit: Just found it on Amazon and pre-ordered. wooo hooo
    You don't feel put off by the price? I mean I really wanna get it, but damn that's a lot of money for that.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    You don't feel put off by the price? I mean I really wanna get it, but damn that's a lot of money for that.
    Come on, you know you're gonna get a "for the band and the album that got me into music, no price is too much" answer to that question.
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

old school

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Nirvana was for me the band that I started listening to when my musical tastes began shifting away from my friends. It was right around when I was thirteen and getting all angsty, and the music just sounded like how I felt, and thanks to this I was introduced to a shitload of music that I had never heard before. As far as today goes, I never seem to listen to nevermind anymore, but in utero never got old for me. And I don't think they would of lasted much longer since the band was starting to implode before he ever killed himself. Most I think they would've done is maybe an RATM type of reunion at coachella or something but not much else.
    Flame away if you guys want but he didn't kill himself. The best official release recording from Nirvana is Incesticide in my opinion. The reason the set costs $145 is the investment company that bought the catalog from his late whore of a wife wants to to recoup the cost of the catalog purchase.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    they haven't "turned" anything, the music is still exactly the same as it was coming out of your speakers so long ago. it is you that has changed.
    It is personal perspective because obviously people are still into them. Interesting how some music grows to be indespensible in your life over time and some turns to shit never wanting to hear it again. Kinda makes you think that you were originally wrong or that the band doesn't possess staying power.
    100% Caffeinated

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I am not getting into this fight but I do disagree with one point about feeling music. What about bands that have no vocals or songs from bands that are instrumental. Just saying …. Cr****
    I didn't say lyrics are necessary for music to be intelligent. You can dissect a song without lyrics. I got into a very long discussion the other day about the meaning and symbols in the Trentemoller song "The Mash and the Fury" which has no lyrics. A lot of people here have probably had discussions about "On the Run" and "Any Colour You Like".

People have been doing this for centuries with classical music. Beethoven's 5th is supposedly about "fate knocking at your door".
    Last edited by Bons222000; 08-05-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium Roast View Post
    It is personal perspective because obviously people are still into them. Interesting how some music grows to be indespensible in your life over time and some turns to shit never wanting to hear it again. Kinda makes you think that you were originally wrong or that the band doesn't possess staying power.
    So you seriously rather believe that something was actually shit, or doesn't have staying power instead of the possiblity that your tastes have just shifted away from that type of music?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    I didn't say lyrics are necessary for music to be intelligent. You can dissect a song without lyrics. I got into a very long discussion the other day about the meaning and symbols in the Trentemoller song "The Mash and the Fury" which has no lyrics. A lot of people here have probably had discussions about "On the Run" and "Any Colour You Like".

People have been doing this for centuries with classical music. Beethoven's 5th is supposedly about "fate knocking at your door".
    I think his point was that there is plenty of music that people don't "get" on a mental level, they just feel it. This is very common in electronic music where you don't usually have lyrics to digest or real instruments being played.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Being limited to only 10k copies in the US I look at it as a rare collector's item. Plus, "Nevermind" is probably the first album that I ever really obsessed over as a kid.

I honestly dont think $142 is that bad...sometimes these special collectors editions of albums go for way more. For instance, I think the highest end version of the Achtung Baby reissues is around $600 and when NIN released Ghosts a few years ago there was a set selling for $300 if I recall.

Plus tallchris is right...Nevermind really is and always will be the MOST important album in my own personal music development. I remember having no idea who Kurt Cobain was or what Teen Spirit was....listening to that album and thinking "man...track 1 is a REALLY REALLY good song" Then I spent the next 3 years from 94-97 collecting/trading Nirvana cassette tapes of live/rare music over the internet since CD-R wasn't really around yet. Good times!

Menik, what do you think of the "rare" materal included on the box set? I guess having high quality of the boom box demos will be pretty cool but none of the stuff is really life-altering. I wonder if that studio version of "talk to me" is really out there. Curious as to what we will ge on the In Utero 20th edition in a few years. And although the 10/31/91 Halloween show has been bootlegged to death it will be nice to have a PRO shot DVD of the entire show...that was a bone crushing performance.
    Last edited by MuseRadio; 08-06-2011 at 07:44 AM.

I do admit, I did put in a pre-order for it ha! And I'm really excited for the boombox demos...I've always wanted those (they are one of the few things to have never leaked out on their own - not like other demos and stuff aka the "Rio Demos"), so I'm excited for that. But no mention of the "song in D" (god only knows if that really exists), and there is no mention of the '91 Sappy (no idea why that would not be included - that's another song that has seemingly vanished and never surfaced/leaked), so missing those two things sorta sucks.

And yeah, even though the paramount bootleg has been around for years, to have the complete concert on blu-ray will be pretty fucking sweet, can't wait for that. So all in all, this release isn't THAT bad, just think the price is kinda high, but that's the game with these "super deluxe" crap these days I guess. I hope the book is nice.

And no idea what they'll do the for the 20th anniversary for In Utero...I would assume:

1) Remastered album obviously
    2) Steve Albini mix
    3) Rio demos?
    4) MTV Live and Loud DVD

As far as the studio version of "Talk to Me", who really knows...I'll put that in same category with "Song in D" and the long rumored (and most wanted for me) electric version of "Do Re Mi". Maybe they're just myths?

Yeah, was "Sappy" definitely recorded during the Nevermind sessions? The versions of "Old Age" and "VCV" released on the box set were great and if so that is def a strange omission.

No one seems to know if there is a studio "Talk to Me" but I thought it was confirmed that there is an electric "Do Re Mi" recorded with Pat Smear on guitar and Eric Erlandson on bass in 3/94...obviously would kill to hear that.

But yeah, in the end I'm sure the Nevermind super-deluxe set is going to be totally worth it...cant wait!

Even though the partial Live n Loud PRO has been around for years....if we could get a FULL PRO shot that would be awesome since that is a very strong performance.

Yeah, Sappy was recorded during those sessions (even confirmed in the "Classic Rock Albums: Nevermind" book I just checked)....so why that is missing from this release makes absolute ZERO sense. Seriously, wtf?

Yeah that's a total bummer then. Probably my favorite moments of the box-set was finally hearing the studio "Verse Chorus Verse" and "Old Age" I bet "Sappy" from those sessions would be amazing....oh well. maybe saving for another rarities release in the future.

Of course, maybe for the 25th anniversary...

That Nevermind reissue looks pretty sweet.

Super Deluxe Nevermind is no longer available on Amazon. Wonder if they jumped the boat and listed it too early or if they sold a bunch of pre-orders?

Either way glad I pre-ordered it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AAVFDQ

Fuckin Bleach. thats all I have today.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Super Deluxe Nevermind is no longer available on Amazon. Wonder if they jumped the boat and listed it too early or if they sold a bunch of pre-orders?

Either way glad I pre-ordered it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AAVFDQ
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Flame away if you guys want but he didn't kill himself. The best official release recording from Nirvana is Incesticide in my opinion. The reason the set costs $145 is the investment company that bought the catalog from his late whore of a wife wants to to recoup the cost of the catalog purchase.
    That company only owns something like 50% of the kurt publishing controlled by Courtney. They'd maybe get $5 from each box.

And no idea what they'll do the for the 20th anniversary for In Utero...I would assume:

1) Remastered album obviously
    2) Steve Albini mix
    3) Rio demos?
    4) MTV Live and Loud DVD

As far as the studio version of "Talk to Me", who really knows...I'll put that in same category with "Song in D" and the long rumored (and most wanted for me) electric version of "Do Re Mi". Maybe they're just myths?
    Man I sure hope they do that, I still have my original vhs when I taped it.. good times.

From Filter magazine

Get ready to take a trip to Seattle Nirvana fans; this will surely be a great show.

On September 20 at the Sky Church/Experience Music Project, Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic will join a gaggle of Seattle musicians to perform Nirvana's Nevermind in full (for the 20th anniversary in case you didn't know).

The concert will also feature Fastbacks, the Long Winters, Visqueen, Vaporland, Campfire OK, Valis, Ravenna Woods and more. The concert will also serve as a benefit for Seattle music industry biggie, Susie Tennant, who is battling cancer.

You can see more info here courtesy of 107.7 The End.

In the meantime, click here to swoon over the forthcoming 20th Anniversary Nevermind Box Set.
    Link for tix
    http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/192828
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dine with a cannibal View Post
    Man I sure hope they do that, I still have my original vhs when I taped it.. good times.
    I've got it on VHS still, too. They fucking CRUSHED Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Just shared that with some friends. Can't decide if it's smart or not
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

It is weird that they're playing that video, though.

I remember my older babysitter/neighbor wearing flannel pajama pants out in public at a bowling alley because of Nirvana/grunge/MTV and little five year old me was like WHAT IS GOING ON?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    "It's exactly the sort of thing that you'd kinda expect from a pop culture increasingly characterized by a compulsion to revisit and reconsume its own past."
    Nostalgia is a new phenomenon. Do not fucking think about second guessing this important information.

They were too busy confidently making history to bother with referring back to it.
    This article acts like nostalgia is the only reason anybody would listen to something that isn't fresh off the presses. It's a bunch of dull blathery about people who are into fashion, not people who are into music.

NEW YORK (AP) Comedy Central's Jon Stewart will host a Q&A session with the surviving members of rock band Nirvana to celebrate the 20th anniversary of its album "Nevermind."

Stewart will host the event on SiriusXM for two hours on Sept. 24. It will feature fans, Nirvana band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, and Butch Vig, the producer behind "Nevermind." Kurt Cobain, the band's lead singer, committed suicide in 1994.

"Nevermind" was the band's second album and has sold 10 million units in the United States. It features Nirvana's biggest hit, "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Grohl is now the lead singer of the Foo Fighters.

SiriusXM will also launch the all-Nirvana channel, Nevermind Radio, on Sept. 23 until Sept. 28
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Huh. I just learned that Nevermind came out on my third birthday.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.