Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: What would have become of Nirvana?

Default Re: What would have become of Nirvana?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    This is pretty fantastic. Free album from SPIN of covers of every song off of Nevermind to celebrate the 20 year anniversary:

http://www.spin.com/articles/free-al...anas-nevermind

Newermind Tracklist:
    01. Meat Puppets – Smells Like Teen Spirit
    02. Butch Walker – In Bloom
    03. Midnight Juggernauts – Come As You Are
    04. Titus Andronicus – Breed
    05. The Vaselines – Lithium
    06. Amanda Palmer – Polly
    07. Surfer Blood – Territorial Pissings
    08. Foxy Shazam – Drain You
    09. Jessica Lea Mayfield – Lounge Act
    10. Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band – Stay Away
    11. Telekinesis – On A Plain
    12. JEFF the Brotherhood – Something In The Way
    13. EMA – Endless, Nameless

Yea I dropped that down a few days ago and have listened to it a number of times. A few of the songs you go wtf but some of the covers are pretty cool. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

i really like the vaselines and charles bradley covers.

The real thoughtless dummies are the folks who resort to insults when someone elses musical opinions don't align with their own. Everyone has a different ear. I understand Nirvana "means something" to you still, but feeling threatened or the need to "stick up" for your band with someone who doesn't agree is where real stupidity lies ("I'm going to war for my band! Yay! You better feel the same way as me or else I will be upset!!!").

I just cringe everytime Nirana comes on the radio and have no desire at all to play any of their records anymore. Nirvana had grungy songs about rape and their comeback single led out with “teenage angst paid off well, now I’m bored and old”. Well, sit right down over there and put a shotgun in your mouth, which he did. Celebrate that.
    100% Caffeinated

Feel better now retard?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

I am a Nirvana fan, but I can confess I often change the song when one of theirs comes on. They are nostalgia. They have a rather profound connection to my personal history. I will always love them, but I may not always want to listen to them.

I can say that about a LOT of bands.

Yea, but in both of these examples it's the listener getting sick of hearing them because they heard these songs too much. I have the same problem with Metallica since you can't get away from them on the radio. It's not a case for them aging poorly. Unlike most of the die hard fans that would defend them, I wasn't overexposed to them so I still enjoy them today. Kurt's voice is one of a kind, and the music is still catchy while not being generic thanks to the grunge. There is a difference between saying "they haven't aged well", and "I don't like to hear them anymore".
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Premium Roast View Post
    where the real stupidity lies ("I'm going to war for my band! Yay! You better feel the same way as me or else I will be upset!!!").
    again, see above.

And there is no difference between saying "they haven't aged well" and "I don't like to hear them anymore" to me. As a nasty schoolboy I liked Nirvana and Nevermind, but that honeymoon was over quickly (also see: Led Zepplin). There is/was no humour with Nirvana and he took it all too seriously, hence offing himself. I much prefer smiles (dub reggae, britpop, glam, classical, and romantic celebratory music) now-a-days to frowns (grunge dirge).

Now go ahead and jump around upset like a jackass monkey that you are.
    100% Caffeinated

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I am a Nirvana fan, but I can confess I often change the song when one of theirs comes on.
    If you do it everytime, like I do with any Nirvana song, the reason is solely because the song sucks, is a drag to listen to, and you don't care about it anymore. If you liked it you'd leave it on all the way through. Doesn't have to be "always", but at least "occasionally".

I don't even want to hear them occasionally. They have turned god awful over the years.
    100% Caffeinated

I much prefer smiles (dub reggae, britpop, glam, classical, and romantic celebratory music) now-a-days to frowns (grunge dirge).
    I don't disagree wth everything you're saying, but I definitely disagree with this. Some of the greatest art and music in the history of the world (indeed most) is inspired by angst, protest, noncomplacency , rebellion, etc. A lot of britpop, glam, and "romantic celebratory music" is just bubble-gum garbage to make a hit and sell records.

I don't feel I get as much out of an album that only "sounds fun". I prefer something that doesn't make you smile but expands your mind, stands for something, tries to give a unique perspective, tries to do something different and has meaning. To me that is the point of art. The rest is fluff.

Whether you think Nirvana fits into this mold is not what I'm debating. But if the Beatles had continued to make "She Loves You" and "I saw her standing there" instead of "Blackbird" and "Strawberry Fields" the world might literally be a different place.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 08-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Well Mr. Smiles, your the one acting like a negative twat on this thread, and projecting your tastes and opinions on others. She couldn't have possibly just heard enough of these 20 year old songs right? Those songs must just suck and they aged poorly.

You should note that I disagreed with you originally in a civil manner, and the only insult that was tossed at you was "Dumb", before you turned into a giant insufferable negative asshole that decided to insult anybody that still enjoys this band, not to mention the band itself in the most distasteful ways possible.

Also, Fuck you.
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

The real thoughtless dummies are the folks who resort to insults when someone elses musical opinions don't align with their own. Everyone has a different ear.
    Now go ahead and jump around upset like a jackass monkey that you are.
    Gotta love hypocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    A lot of britpop, glam, and "romantic celebratory music" is just bubble-gum garbage to make a hit and sell records.
    Is Scott Walker bubble gum garbage? Are Mendelssohn's Italian symphonies (btw I'm going pure classical for awhile soon, because pop music is for children)? Was Mansun's 'Six' made strictly for the easily digesting masses?

It really doesn't matter how you or I describe certain music. Either you feel it and want it or you don't. Simple. I don't find anything remotely interesting about Nirvana anymore. Sue me. For these idiots to be personally offended by what I write about a band they love is just ridiculous. What do you care what I like? If it was up to them I'd imagine they'd program everyone's brain in the exact likeness of their own. Heaven forbid.
    100% Caffeinated

How is it hypocritical of me to retort with a putdown of my own? I didn't call him a "jumping jackass monkey" because of his musical tastes, I did it because he threw a personal insult my way due to a differing opinion on a band he likes. It's not the same at all, I'm the right one.

I came on this thread, not to hate on Nirvana, but to answer the proposed question. I did it and got unwarranted heat from passionate fanboys. Maybe it is too hard for you to understand. Give it time.
    100% Caffeinated

Thumbs down Re: What would have become of Nirvana?

You are the one using insults and taking offense to everything. It's coming across like you have a superiority complex, maybe that's why people are semi-hostile towards you.

If you don't like Nirvana it's fine. But If you think none of the best books, poems, music, art, whatever in history don't derive from angst and smiles are always necessary than we simply will never see eye-to-eye. To say "either you feel it or you don't" takes away the entire point of art,: to debate and develop thoughts and spread messages. That's why it's subjective.

And for the record I said "a lot" of music not "all".
    Last edited by Bons222000; 08-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.

I think you missed that nobody else but you are talking in absolutes.
    Algunz used the term "often", witch doesn't mean that she always changes the radio.
    Bonz used the term "a lot of" meaning that he didn't state all of it was bubble-gum garbage, you also skipped over his whole point entirely about non-smile filled music.
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

also you got insulted by exactly one word "Dumb" before you decided you needed to distastefully use Kurt's suicide in your insults against it's fans, and you now feel like your getting attack by some rabid legion of fanboys consisting of what 2-3 people if I include bonz?
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

you called me a "retard" before I was in any way insulting personally to you, Lunatic.

But, anyway, it seems like the tone has calmed down a bit since I got back from the shower. Let's be nice and civilized, shall we? Although I feel at this point we are just going around in circles and I really don't have much more to add to the conversation that hasn't already been said, probably a few times, already. I'll just recap my points one last time:

1. I don't think there was anywhere for Nirvana "to become" because the main man behind them didn't believe in anything he was doing anymore.
    2. I don't like listening to any Nirvana at any time now-a-days.
    3. I don't think Algunz likes to either.
    4. I find people who dish out personal insults to people with differing musical tastes extremely silly. They are the ones with the "Superiority Complex". But I can understand the passion, which is the only thing healthy about it.
    5. I am kind of glad we discussed this actually and thank you for your contributing in any way you did. I don't come here for nothing.
    100% Caffeinated

I do think there is a lot to be said for a general "mood" of music to not register on your preferences list. I'm not a very bleak person, so music that is excessively bleak doesn't tend to be an experience that draws anything out of me. My friend is obsessed with Joy Division, for example, and I have heard their albums cover to cover several times. It just has never struck a chord with me. However I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad music, the exact opposite, it's just hard for me to relate to and therefore I tend to skip it.

I actually think most good art comes from pain, but there are so many different ways to process that pain and feel it, and some musicians are going to hit the nail on the head with your personal outlook and some aren't. I always have an incredibly hard time articulating the way I feel when I'm down in words (and maybe that's what music is for, allowing us to experience emotions that are too difficult to comprehend with words, but that's a whole other story) but Nirvana's body of work doesn't really match anything I feel. I respect the hell out of them musically and would never even make the claim that they are overrated, but I never really feel drawn to listen to their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I do think there is a lot to be said for a general "mood" of music to not register on your preferences list. I'm not a very bleak person, so music that is excessively bleak doesn't tend to be an experience that draws anything out of me. My friend is obsessed with Joy Division, for example, and I have heard their albums cover to cover several times. It just has never struck a chord with me. However I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad music, the exact opposite, it's just hard for me to relate to and therefore I tend to skip it.

I actually think most good art comes from pain, but there are so many different ways to process that pain and feel it, and some musicians are going to hit the nail on the head with your personal outlook and some aren't. I always have an incredibly hard time articulating the way I feel when I'm down in words (and maybe that's what music is for, allowing us to experience emotions that are too difficult to comprehend with words, but that's a whole other story) but Nirvana's body of work doesn't really match anything I feel. I respect the hell out of them musically and would never even make the claim that they are overrated, but I never really feel drawn to listen to their stuff.
    You don't find The Knife to be bleak at all?
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic core View Post
    You don't find The Knife to be bleak at all?
    Yes and no...I mean, their outlook on certain tracks conveys a sense of bleakness with society, but that's not the primary emotion that they trigger in me. Once again I have a hard time putting a lot of my emotions into words, but their songs trigger a lot of other levels in me...take You Make Me Like Charity which is probably my favorite, the stance and worldview might be bleak but the music itself is anything but, it's lush and evocative and I'd say even epically beautiful at times...it just hits the right switch in my brain for whatever reason.

Whereas there are some bands, like Joy Division, where the primary emotion that their music draws out of me is a sense of bleakness. Once again respect it, just doesn't move me the way my favorite stuff does. But I'd imagine if you feel bleak currently or ever felt that way at a point in your life you'd respond really well to it.

If you do it everytime,

I said "often," but it's more because they play the same songs over and over and over and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Yes and no...I mean, their outlook on certain tracks conveys a sense of bleakness with society, but that's not the primary emotion that they trigger in me. Once again I have a hard time putting a lot of my emotions into words, but their songs trigger a lot of other levels in me...take You Make Me Like Charity which is probably my favorite, the stance and worldview might be bleak but the music itself is anything but, it's lush and evocative and I'd say even epically beautiful at times...it just hits the right switch in my brain for whatever reason.

Whereas there are some bands, like Joy Division, where the primary emotion that their music draws out of me is a sense of bleakness. Once again respect it, just doesn't move me the way my favorite stuff does. But I'd imagine if you feel bleak currently or ever felt that way at a point in your life you'd respond really well to it.
    Just curious. I just thought it was kind of funny since they clearly have a dark side to them. I certainly have a taste for some dark cold empty stuff, my favorite mix cd I made last year was knee deep in nucular bomb fallout, but I also get plenty of color from other stuff I listen to so that there is a nice contrast in what I am hearing.
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic core View Post
    Just curious. I just thought it was kind of funny since they clearly have a dark side to them. I certainly have a taste for some dark cold empty stuff, my favorite mix cd I made last year was knee deep in nucular bomb fallout, but I also get plenty of color from other stuff I listen to so that there is a nice contrast in what I am hearing.
    Oh they definitely have a very pronounced dark side to them and I like a ton of music with a darker side, I just tend to think that although their point of view might be bleak their music itself is far from it. I just don't relate to angst or bleakness in terms of musical tone very well. But enough of my hijack.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Nirvana was for me the band that I started listening to when my musical tastes began shifting away from my friends. It was right around when I was thirteen and getting all angsty, and the music just sounded like how I felt, and thanks to this I was introduced to a shitload of music that I had never heard before. As far as today goes, I never seem to listen to nevermind anymore, but in utero never got old for me. And I don't think they would of lasted much longer since the band was starting to implode before he ever killed himself. Most I think they would've done is maybe an RATM type of reunion at coachella or something but not much else.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 08-04-2011 at 10:20 PM.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

$142.22 to pre-order the Super Deluxe version of Nevermind. I dunno about this...

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    $142.22 to pre-order the Super Deluxe version of Nevermind. I dunno about this...
    Well the limit of 40,000 copies (only 10k in North America) seems to be the reason for the price hike.

It's quite a price hike for sure, and I expected to see some Vinyl for that price, but they probably will sell out.
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

The 4-LP vinyl set is $55...I pre-ordered that. But there is no reason for this 5-disc super set (one of which is a live disc of a show that has been out on bootleg for years) to be that much, even if it's limited to 10,000 in the US. Hell, the WTLO boxset was like 35 BUCKS when it came out. What gives? Obviously I really want this, but I will have to think about forking over that much...hopefully the price goes down some.

Hey menik,
    Where can I pre-order the super deluxe edition from? I want to get on that asap.

Edit: Just found it on Amazon and pre-ordered. wooo hooo
    Last edited by MuseRadio; 08-05-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Hey menik,
    Where can I pre-order the super deluxe edition from? I want to get on that asap.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nevermind-Nirv...2525994&sr=8-5

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

If you do it everytime, like I do with any Nirvana song, the reason is solely because the song sucks, is a drag to listen to, and you don't care about it anymore. If you liked it you'd leave it on all the way through. Doesn't have to be "always", but at least "occasionally".

I don't even want to hear them occasionally. They have turned god awful over the years.
    they haven't "turned" anything, the music is still exactly the same as it was coming out of your speakers so long ago. it is you that has changed.