Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What would have become of Nirvana?

Default Re: What would have become of Nirvana?

Defiantly interested? That sounds counterproductive.

I can't spell that word ya know

when you unlock kurt on guitar hero 5. this is a shame.
    Last edited by buddy; 09-01-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

what the FUCK is this
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

the result of courtney love's approval i suppose

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...e-to-the-game/
    Kurt Cobain Joins “Guitar Hero 5″: How Nirvana Came to the Game
    8/27/09, 2:04 pm EST

Today, Activision has confirmed that a Kurt Cobain character will be playable in Guitar Hero 5 (out September 1st), alongside Carlos Santana, Johnny Cash, Shirley Manson of Garbage and Matt Bellamy of Muse. Two Nirvana tracks, Nevermind’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and a live version of “Lithium,” from their 1992 headlining slot at England’s Reading festival, also join the game’s set list, a first for the seminal band that defined the grunge era. “Kurt Cobain is one of the most recognizable frontmen in rock & roll history,” reads a statement released this morning, “and it’s an honor to have two of Nirvana’s masterpieces included in Guitar Hero 5.”

Look back at Cobain’s remarkable career in photos, interviews, reviews and more from the RS archives.

The licensing deal had been in the works for years, but Activision’s Vice President of Music Affairs Tim Riley is still pinching himself. ” ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ is a song that we’ve had at the top of our wish list ever since I came to Guitar Hero,” he tells Rolling Stone from his office in Santa Monica. “So it’s been a while.”

Look back at Cobain’s rare photos, artwork and journal entries.

Indeed, securing the proper approvals was no small feat. Not only did Cobain’s widow Courtney Love have to sign off on behalf of the estate, so did former drummer Dave Grohl and Primary Wave Publishing, which administers the Nirvana catalog. “There’s a lot of moving parts to something like this,” Riley explains. “But it was about timing, not an issue of resistance. We almost did it for World Tour, but we couldn’t get it together. Then after three years of working with the different parties, it was like the perfect storm.”

Naturally, Love did have some concerns. Namely, Cobain’s physique, Riley reveals. “Courtney supplied us with photos and videos and knew exactly what she wanted Kurt to look like,” he says. “She picked the wardrobe and hair style, which turned out to be the ‘Teen Spirit’ look, then we went back and forth over changes — some subtle, some not so subtle.” In column B? Love’s reference to the Greek God Adonis, whose youthful good looks made the male deity an object of desire. “She certainly had a physical image in mind,” says Riley. “She wanted him to have that sort of athletic definition but not overly so.” And while Love has long had a reputation for being difficult, Riley’s experience was anything but. “She was actually great to work with,” he says. “She got back with comments pretty quickly.” For more on the character on Cobain’s avatar’s shirt (Daniel Johnston’s frog Jeremiah), click here.

Nirvana: the photo gallery.

Of course, authenticity is the name of the rhythm game, and in that sense, Guitar Hero’s decision to include the Reading rendition of “Lithium” was an apt choice (original stems from the album version could not be found). Fans may recall that the 1992 show kicked off with Cobain being rolled out onstage in a wheelchair — a response to rumors of his ill health and the band’s possible breakup — and has since been hailed as one of their best live performances.

Nirvana joins a reported 83 artists whose songs appear on GH5, including fellow ’90s rockers Sublime, Blur, Sunny Day Real Estate and Sonic Youth. And with the release of The Beatles: Rock Band just around the corner, Activision is already looking ahead to its next product: Band Hero, a more family-friendly, pop version of the game that’s rated E10-Plus and will feature characters of Taylor Swift and Maroon 5’s Adam Levine. It’s slated for release at the end of the fall. But for now, Riley is just taking in this latest achievement. “I’m still kind of freaked out to be playing a Nirvana song,” he says. “I’m so excited just to be talking about it. We were able to pull it off and it’s cool to acknowledge that finally.”

I really don't care anymore about any of that....heck the Beatles have a video game...now Kurt is in one...just that day and age. I'd rather spend my time playing better video games anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fober View Post
    2008 Orange County Fair

Nirvana
    Hannah Montana
    Fergie
    Ok what I meant was

2009 Guitar Hero Launch Show

Nirvana
    Taylor Swift
    Maroon 5
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I really don't care anymore about any of that....heck the Beatles have a video game...now Kurt is in one...just that day and age. I'd rather spend my time playing better video games anyway.
    yeah but the beatles arent playing bon jovi and bush covers, they're playing beatles songs. just a shame that's all.

I wasn't around when this thread was started, but here's how I've always felt Nirvana would have panned out:

Nirvana would have put out one more decently-received album after In Utero. Then broken up. Kurt would go on to write some extremely strange yet pretentious solo material that would have the fanboys drooling but leave most scratching their heads. I mean, face it. Kurt was THE original indie hipster fuck. I love Nirvana, but I hate what I read in interviews and what I see in videos. He took pride in being into bands like the Vaselines and the Meat Puppets that no one knew about or cared about at the time. He violently rejected anything and everything mainstream.

And he took himself waaayyyyyyyyyy too seriously.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Young blood

4 pages? Dudes would have sucked dick, made $$$, and died.

Shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    yeah but the beatles arent playing bon jovi and bush covers, they're playing beatles songs. just a shame that's all.
    The thing is he's just a character skin in the game, Not a unique character of his own. It's like changing your characters clothes. I'm assuming that once you've unlocked Kurt you can use him on any song and he will move the way the characters are programmed to move on that particular song. It's not a direct slight to Kurt to have him dancing like a buffoon on a Bon Jovi song because ALL the characters will behave in exactly the same way on any given song. He will be acting like Iggy if you use him on "Lust For Life" or Like himself, I'm sure, when you use him on "Smells like Teen Spirit". The same thing will apply to the Johhny Cash character skin. I think you're looking too deeply into it.

i just read one of the last interviews that addressed "What is next for Nirvana" and Kurt said they wanted to move towards the Butthole Surfers (circa early 90s) sound
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I wasn't around when this thread was started, but here's how I've always felt Nirvana would have panned out:

Nirvana would have put out one more decently-received album after In Utero. Then broken up. Kurt would go on to write some extremely strange yet pretentious solo material that would have the fanboys drooling but leave most scratching their heads. I mean, face it. Kurt was THE original indie hipster fuck. I love Nirvana, but I hate what I read in interviews and what I see in videos. He took pride in being into bands like the Vaselines and the Meat Puppets that no one knew about or cared about at the time. He violently rejected anything and everything mainstream.

And he took himself waaayyyyyyyyyy too seriously.
    I always thought something similiar to that. I thought though they were going to break up after In Utero, he would do solo music a la john lennon but more in the "I used to be in a punk band but now I sing the blues" type of way. Maybe a folk singer.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    The thing is he's just a character skin in the game, Not a unique character of his own. It's like changing your characters clothes. I'm assuming that once you've unlocked Kurt you can use him on any song and he will move the way the characters are programmed to move on that particular song. It's not a direct slight to Kurt to have him dancing like a buffoon on a Bon Jovi song because ALL the characters will behave in exactly the same way on any given song. He will be acting like Iggy if you use him on "Lust For Life" or Like himself, I'm sure, when you use him on "Smells like Teen Spirit". The same thing will apply to the Johhny Cash character skin. I think you're looking too deeply into it.
    i don't think i'm looking to deeping into it. im not even a big nirvana fan, i enjoy their music. the point i'm trying to make is i'm pretty sure kurt, if alive, wouldn't be okay with people even having the ability to use his "character skin" to be able to dance around like an idiot to a bon jovi or bush song. just me i don't know.
    Last edited by buddy; 09-02-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    i don't think i'm looking to deeping into it. im not even a big nirvana fan, i enjoy their music. the point i'm trying to make is i'm pretty sure kurt, if alive, wouldn't be okay with people even having the ability to use his "character skin" to be able to dance around like an idiot to a bon jovi or bush song. just me i don't know.
    Kurt Cobain famously had a great sense of humor. I bet he would think it's hilarious.

I dont really wanna sit here and read all these pages, so ima say if Cobain got his shit together they prly would of broke up anyways. Him killing himself was a damn shame!!! I really feel like he alot to offer the industry than 4 albums that Nirvana actually put out. And im sure GV would of prly offered them the most money they've offered anybody to headline one year. I mean when Rage headlined in 07 those tickets went fast as hell. Nirvana as a headline would of shut there site down. One of the best bands ever

http://pitchfork.com/news/36453-cour...r-hero-avatar/

fukkin Courtney Love

u know that stupid beeyotch took Activisions money, then turns around & talks about suing them to "save face"...
    Does anyone really fall for her shit?

this kinda stuff just pisses me off to no end
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Love's attorney told TMZ that Courtney did give permission for the game makers to use Kurt's name and likeness, but she never, ever signed off on a deal that would allow them to make Kurt sing other artists' songs in the game.

What the hell did she think they were going to do with it anyway? If she gave permission with no strings, she is an idiot. Well she is anyway. I think it is funny the statement "make Kurt sing". I am guessing they can't make Kurt do anything. I saw the guys a few times and just guessing, a bit of money and I don't give a fuck is what I bet Kurt would say.... cr****
    Last edited by canexplain; 09-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Love's attorney told TMZ that Courtney did give permission for the game makers to use Kurt's name and likeness, but she never, ever signed off on a deal that would allow them to make Kurt sing other artists' songs in the game.

What the hell did she think they were going to do with it anyway? If she gave permission with no strings, she is an idiot. Well she is anyway. I think it is funny the statement "make Jurt sing". I am guessing they can't make Kurt do anything. I saw the guys a few times and just guessing, a bit of money and I don't give a fuck is what I bet Kurt would say.... cr****
    She gave them permission for a fully playable character. As in the entire game. Since she had to sign off on any Nirvana songs, you know she knew this was coming.

She is batshit crazy, but in this day and age, I am not surprised by this. Artists gotta get paid somehow and since nobodys buying records anymore - this is the shit you get in return. Enjoy.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    .......... Artsts gotta get paid somehow and since nobodys buying records anymore - this is the shit you get in return. Enjoy.
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

TomAz must be busy today. I made a typo of Kurt's name and didn't get blasted heheheh. Yea CDUB I don't know what I would do if I were famous and had clout like that. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Wheels Of Cheese

Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

I wonder what it would take for Dave and Kris to do a show as Nirvana, with Dave handling the vocals. My GOD that would be EPIC!
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    I wonder what it would take for Dave and Kris to do a show as Nirvana, with Dave handling the vocals. My GOD that would be EPIC!
    Oh no... oh dear god no...

This should be sigged.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Isn't the answer to this thread clear? After years of fronting a not-so-super supergroup, Kurt would attempt crossover appeal by colaborating with Timbaland. The results... excruciating.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

TomAz must be busy today. I made a typo of Kurt's name and didn't get blasted heheheh. Yea CDUB I don't know what I would do if I were famous and had clout like that. cr****
    I don't criticize typos. I criticize people who are too stupid to tell the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    Even better they could get Ian Astbury to handle vox. EPICFACEMELTDUDE!

Sure you have it, but this is great Erik:

http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com....Theatre%5D.mp3
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Sure you have it, but this is great Erik:

http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com....Theatre%5D.mp3
    Actually I haven't heard the new soundboard mix of that show that's coming out on the Bleach re-release yet, so that's new to me....sounds pretty good...I think Jack Endino was handling all the remastering, so I trust him (more than the usual Nirvana team that tackles the Geffen releases - aka the upcoming Reading DVD/CD). Already have the CD and vinyl of the new Bleach pre-ordered!

I really like the Bleach era shows too, even better than the Nevermind era shows I think.