Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Default Re: The Wire

Glad to hear so many people are still finding this show and starting to watch it. It is seriously one of the best things I have ever watched, just flat out brilliant. I have watched the series a few times now and always find something new in it. So much credit needs to be given to HBO for letting David Simon finish his story, even though it was snubbed every year by the Emmys and had a very small audience.

One of the things I love about the show is Simon would get real Baltimore people to act in the show. Not just get actors to play people from Baltimore, it gave the show an added level of realism. The guy who plays the preacher later on in the series was the guy that Avon Barksdale was based on. He was also busted by the co-creator Ed Burns when he was still a homicide detective. Also in real life Snoop really was in jail for Second Degree Murder when she was younger.

I have my doubts about the new show from Simon, he was so connected to Baltimore life, I don't think he has the same connection to New Orleans. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't have a good feeling about this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

I recently watched every episode with my wife via Netflix. This was our first time through and we really enjoyed the series. It was well done, they were able to get you to care about both the good guys and the bad guys. I especially liked how the plot of each season was differently similar.

On a side note, Snoop was on Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations. It was aired recently and the episode is entitled, The Rust Belt. Her name really is Snoop and she looked EXACTLY the same as in the show. As a minor, she actually served time for manslaughter. She wrote a book about her life, is working with Hollywood and plans to attach her name to a line of sex toys, of all things
    9/19 Beck @ the Masonic (?)
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Stringer Bell, bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Finished season 2 today in a 4-hour marathon. In the interest of sharing the television, I'm refraining from kicking into season 3.

Eerie coincidence: when we were at the bar on Friday night, the DJ played the 2nd season theme song for The Wire. It was like, how did he know???
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Per Wikipedia

The opening theme is "Way Down in the Hole", a gospel- and blues-inspired song originally written by Tom Waits for his 1987 album Franks Wild Years. Each season uses a different recording of it against a different opening sequence, with the theme being performed, in order, by The Blind Boys of Alabama, Waits himself, The Neville Brothers, "DoMaJe" and Steve Earle. Season four's version of "Way Down in the Hole" was arranged and recorded specifically for the show, and is performed by five Baltimore teenagers: Ivan Ashford, Markel Steele, Cameron Brown, Tariq Al-Sabir, and Avery Bargasse. Earle, who performed the fifth season's version, is also a member of the cast, playing the recovering drug addict Walon. The closing theme is "The Fall", composed by Blake Leyh, who is also the show's music supervisor.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Stringer Bell, bitch.
    Omar Coming!!!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I finished up the Wire yesterday. Call me crazy but the last season was my least favorite. Still very good but I found the other seasons far more interesting.

I'm going with Season 3 as my absolute favorite with 4 as a close second. I loved the realistic createive ways they decided to tackle drugs and education which were the focal points of 3 & 4.

Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

^ Hilarious. It was funny seeing that actor play the fix-it man in the movie '1408'

"Wake up and die right you cunts." Best quote ever from the Wire. For all you Wire fans be sure to check out the miniseries, Generation Kill, if you haven't already. It was made by the creators of The Wire.
    Last edited by Alligator Bogaloo; 08-10-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

stringer bell being on the office is a whole lot more funny now. the discs can't come fast enough!
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I finished up the Wire yesterday. Call me crazy but the last season was my least favorite. Still very good but I found the other seasons far more interesting.

I'm going with Season 3 as my absolute favorite with 4 as a close second. I loved the realistic createive ways they decided to tackle drugs and education which were the focal points of 3 & 4.
    I thought Season 5 was easily the worst. The whole Baltimore Sun newspaper angle was boring. It didn't contribute to the series nearly as much as the docks, hampsterdam or the school system. I also thought the "serial killer" angle was a bit of a stretch.

It wasn't a terrible season... I just thought it was underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

You guys are both crazy. Season 5 was terrific. Not as good as 4 but it has one of the absolute best last episodes of any show ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I dug the last episode. Michael essentially becoming the new Omar and Dukie becoming a junkie. I thought this was more metaphorical though. Showing how some kids just "fall through the cracks."

I just finished season 5 today and I'm still letting it sink in.

i think im going to start season 4 tonight if my on demand is working

hey Dale, have you seen George Clinton before?

that show in a few days is going outrageous. prepare for a LONG evening. give us a review
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Yeah, I saw him like 9 years ago. I'm surprised the old bastard is still kicking.

Some bastard who rents at the Blockbuster 2 minutes from my house kept season 4 disc 1 for so long that they sold it to him. I went 2 fucking weeks without The Wire! In that time, I decided to console myself with Mad Men instead. Fortunately, they got a new copy of the 4th season in so now I've got the first two discs awaiting me. I actually started watching the season premiere earlier but there were so many interruptions that I just turned it off. Need to start off again later this evening when everybody's in bed and I can be left alone to watch the episode properly.

EDIT: Mr. Gribble, your sig bothers me. Please correct the Sonic Youth date. Or are they really playing the Rialto on the same date as Gogol Bordello?
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quick Madmen interlude on the Wire thread: I just started watching Madmen also. I like that everyone smokes, adults hit other peoples kids, they drink at the office, the antisemitism, and there's always a secretary crying in the bathroom. No wonder this has cleaned up with the awards.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator Bogaloo View Post
    Quick Madmen interlude on the Wire thread: I just started watching Madmen also. I like that everyone smokes, adults hit other peoples kids, they drink at the office, the antisemitism, and there's always a secretary crying in the bathroom. No wonder this has cleaned up with the awards.
    i just got randy into this too, you two should talk

and i'm just starting season 4, holy shit, season 3 was awesome. i love when the let the junkies off the bus and the dealers are hollering at them to buy!!! LOL. and stringer getting offed/!?! WTF?!?! i was about to fall asleep and randy told me to pay attention, sure glad i did!!!!

i don't know what i will do when this is over well, besides get into deadwood...
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I have been meaning to get into Mad Men for awhile but keep forgetting about it. I will have to start downloading it soon.

Season 4 is easily my favorite season of the series, enjoy.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post

and i'm just starting season 4, holy shit, season 3 was awesome. i love when the let the junkies off the bus and the dealers are hollering at them to buy!!! LOL. and stringer getting offed/!?! WTF?!?! i was about to fall asleep and randy told me to pay attention, sure glad i did!!!!

i don't know what i will do when this is over well, besides get into deadwood...
    Buffy
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post

Season 4 is great with the story line involving the group of kids that live in the neighborhood. Shit gets crazy with them by the end of the season. If you haven't seen David Simon's other shows you should check them out. There's the miniseries, The Corner, almost a sub series of the Wire, Homicide, and Generation Kill. Deadwood was really good too, I just introduced a friend to it. He's lovin' it. Of course the best show ever is Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'm sure you've seen it. But if you haven't, Do it! Don't fall asleep!
    Last edited by Alligator Bogaloo; 09-22-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Season 5 wasn't my favorite season but I really loved them all. Season 2 had too many white people (haha) and was a bit on the boring side, but it had some important things introduced. Omar was my favorite character so obviously I wasn't happy with the ending, but I guess it would have been unrealistic for him to survive after stealing from everyone for years.

I own the box set and I've watched all the eps at least twice. It's been awhile since I've seen them so I have the order of things mixed up a bit, but overall, I just love how realistic everything was. Bubbles' character really got to me, and again, I loooooved Omar . I really hated Marlo but I liked Snoop and Chris. I think it's about time to start watching season 1 for the 3rd time.

The Corner is a bit boring. I think it's meant to be educational more than entertaining, but I thought it was fun counting actors that I recognized from The Wire.. I counted about 10. Is Homocide a show? I have the book but still need to read it.

The Corner is great, but it is really fucking depressing. It is mainly about the junkies and a little on the low level dealers. The series was excellent and you should watch it if you get the chance. It is a true story, David Simon spent over a year following around a few junkies on the streets and then wrote the book "The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood." Alot of actors followed David Simon to The Wire, the guy that plays Lester Freeman plays a junkie in this, and I believe Bubbles plays a cop.

"Generation Kill" also.

I finished The Wire a few weeks ago and couldn't find this thread so I'm making the mention now. My ranking of the seasons: 4, 3, 1, 5, 2. (1 and 5 may have shifted around in the intervening weeks.)

***SPOILERS!! (Ivy, don't read!)***

Omar was such an incredible character that his death still lingers in my mind. What probably made it so indelible was how perfect it was. When I saw those kids dousing that cat with gasoline, I knew Omar wasn't long for the world.
    My favorite scene, and by far the most brutal killing in the entire series, was when Chris beat Bug's dad to death for Michael. Though pretty much all of the violence in the scene occurs off screen, what makes it so visceral is the sound of his fist clubbing the guy's eventually-pulpy face. But what steals it for me is the single reaction shot to Snoop. Up to that point, all we've seen her do is kill people mercilessly. Kind of a one-note character. In that shot, though, she's awestruck by the barbarity on display, indicating that if this cold-blooded murderer is shocked, then what Chris is doing must be some fucked up shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    The Corner is great, but it is really fucking depressing. It is mainly about the junkies and a little on the low level dealers. The series was excellent and you should watch it if you get the chance. It is a true story, David Simon spent over a year following around a few junkies on the streets and then wrote the book "The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood." Alot of actors followed David Simon to The Wire, the guy that plays Lester Freeman plays a junkie in this, and I believe Bubbles plays a cop.
    I didn't see Bubbles! I really think I would have noticed him... Are you sure? A lot of the junkies in the corner are cops from the wire.

I thought it was so funny to see Cedric Daniels as a junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    "Generation Kill" also.
    Am I the only one that found this unwatchable?

I just cheked IMDb and yeah you are right. I don't know who I was thinking of then, it has been a long time since I have seen this though.