View Poll Results: What is your take on the Verve reuniting?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I fucking love it. Brit-pop genius

128 68.82%
  • Could care less. Seems kind of irrelevant in 2k8

51 27.42%
  • Crawl into a hole Richard Ashcroft

7 3.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE VERVE

Default Re: THE VERVE

I know 2 songs by The Verve. I should probably dig up some other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Lurker

Hey you, Verve naysayer—

Chances are you’re not very familiar with The Verve’s work. And that’s okay. I hope. No. I pray—for your future listening enjoyment—that you’ve made your opinion based on limited knowledge of the band. You’re in for treat if this describes you.

So… Do yourself a favor and listen to Urban Hymns. Start with track #2 and go all the way through. If, by the end of Velvet Morning (track 12, and arguably the best track), The Verve haven’t won you over, well, then have fun at Jack Johnson. You two deserve each other.

In closing, some people may tell you to start with a different album. Don’t. Urban Hymns is your OK Computer/The Bends. You wouldn’t tell someone to start with Amnesiac, would you?

P.S. The chances of The Verve being your, “Wow, I can’t believe I didn’t know about this band before my Coachella preparations. This is my #1 discovery” is very good. Vegas odds makers are offering 2/1.

Hey you, Verve Fans—

Don’t forget Space & Time… What a great track.
    "Not all drugs are good. Some … are great"

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefThunderFist View Post
    Hey you, Verve naysayer—

So… Do yourself a favor and listen to Urban Hymns. Start with track #2 and go all the way through. If, by the end of Velvet Morning (track 12, and arguably the best track), The Verve haven’t won you over, well, then have fun at Jack Johnson. You two deserve each other.

In closing, some people may tell you to start with a different album. Don’t. Urban Hymns is your OK Computer/The Bends. You wouldn’t tell someone to start with Amnesiac, would you?

P..
    Wow, glad we both love Verve, but totally love different aspects of the band. I was lucky enough to see them the first time around and it was sheer sonic heaven. They are one of the two bands I have most pined for in Coachella wish lists to have a reunion. I thought the band was amazing and original during the albums Storm in Heaven, through No Come Down, (the Verve EP), Northern Soul. Storm in Heaven is amazing and I think their best (or not hyperbolicly one of my top 5 albums of all time) . They were melodic, dreamy and beautiful. As earlier poster have said, there early stuff is more shoe gaze and amazing while Urban Hymns was an attempt to move into more mainstream Brit pop (although perhaps not done as well as some), and away from their original sound.

Urban Hymns is to me really forgetable, as i write this i had to check to see if I still had a copy as I never play it. It is much more of a mainstream success but also less tripy, less interesting, less shoegaze esq. It is the equivalent of Ride moving away from shoegaze on pedestrian albums like "tarantula" or Carnival of LIght" or Smashing Pumpkins empty and failed later attempt Mellon Collie (as compared to Gish/Siamese Dream).

Check out Gravity Grave, SLide Away, Endless Life, Already There, Beautiful Mind, Feel, One Way to Go, History, A Man Called Sun, all of Storm in Heaven, etc...

EDIT: ok thats harsh, there are some ok tracks on Urban Hymns too, but still by far my least favorite album
    Last edited by Hawkings; 01-28-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Lurker

Don't get me wrong, Hawkings. I love all the Verve's earlier stuff, too. The Sun, The Sea and So It Goes are two of my favorite tracks.... I just think today's Verve Virgins are better off starting with the pop melodies of Urban Hymns. Call it the Coldplay theorem or something.

I'm guessing you were listening to them BEFORE Urban Hymns was released--which is great. I was not in the know till '97.

ah ok, just got the OK Computer/Bends, (Pablo Honey perhaps?) more accesable starting point reference.

Can't wait right ?!
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Quote Originally Posted by joshisgod View Post
    They already reunited a few months ago in the UK. its just them playing now. its nothing special. Same with Portishead, dont get me wrong, i cant wait to see them but this isnt the first show of the reunion.
    haha first show of reunion in the U.S. its still special

maybe chris martin from coldplay will come and and co sing bittersweet symphony. that would be tight
    Change the scheme! Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

Talking Re: THE VERVE

Now I really feel old. I saw these guys on the second stage at Lollapalooza 94...a year later, they broke up, then reunited in like 97 with a big breakthrough (bittersweet symphony single), and broke up again to reunite at Coachella 08...weird pattern but whatever....I'll wait see them when they come to San Francisco.. .hopefully The Fillmore

Here's setlist of a recent show, London in November 2007

1 This Is Music
    2 Space And Time
    3 Gravity Grave
    4 Weeping Willow
    5 Life's An Ocean
    6 Sonnet
    7 Sit And Wonder
    8 Velvet Morning
    9 Already There
    10 Stormy Clouds
    11 Let The Damage Begin
    12 On Your Own
    13 The Rolling People
    14 The Drugs Don't Work
    15 Bittersweet Symphony
    ~
    16 A Northern Soul
    17 History
    18 Lucky Man
    19 Come On

link below is pool of songs they selected to tour with, no 'Slide Away', 'Blue' , Sun the Sea, but some early stuff, looks like a mix

http://musicslut.blogspot.com/2007/1...r-setlist.html
    Last edited by Hawkings; 01-29-2008 at 09:27 PM.

I'm so excited to see Lucky Man late in a set list, it is a brilliant song with a phenomenal groove to it. Naysayers be damned, it will be a wonderful part of the Coachella weekend.

Isnt this that band that did the t.v. song??? isnt that the best song they ever did????

THEY SUCK... if your holding friday of coachella on the verve???? COACHELLA NEEDS BETTER BOOKING

Quote Originally Posted by depechemodekraftwerk View Post
    Isnt this that band that did the t.v. song??? isnt that the best song they ever did????

THEY SUCK... if your holding friday of coachella on the verve???? COACHELLA NEEDS BETTER BOOKING
    Sigh

The song is Bitter Sweet Symphony, that's the song various threads say is there 1 song people know. If you don't like that song or Lucky man, check out Storm in Heaven or the Verve EP, even thou they may only play a few songs from them at Coachella

or go flame Jack Johnson, zomg he's headlining, or plan on going to Sahara during their set to see G-tip and A-wax do a remix of Trance is Dead (by Dave Wang).

Thanks for reminding me. I need to dust off my old CD and import it. They should be fantastic live and I can't wait to see them. Although I fear some serious conflicts for me on Friday night: the Verve, Raconteurs, Breeders, Fat Boy and the National...there will be a bloody train wreck.
    “I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.”

yeah the verve best band of friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkings View Post
    Here's setlist of a recent show, London in November 2007

1 This Is Music
    2 Space And Time
    3 Gravity Grave
    4 Weeping Willow
    5 Life's An Ocean
    6 Sonnet
    7 Sit And Wonder
    8 Velvet Morning
    9 Already There
    10 Stormy Clouds
    11 Let The Damage Begin
    12 On Your Own
    13 The Rolling People
    14 The Drugs Don't Work
    15 Bittersweet Symphony
    ~
    16 A Northern Soul
    17 History
    18 Lucky Man
    19 Come On

link below is pool of songs they selected to tour with, no 'Slide Away', 'Blue' , Sun the Sea, but some early stuff, looks like a mix

http://musicslut.blogspot.com/2007/1...r-setlist.html
    thanks for that setlist and song pool. Out of that pool, i'd love to get the following setlist:

Starsail
    Man Called Sun
    Life's An Ocean
    Make It Till Monday
    Virtual World
    She's A Superstar
    Gravity Grave
    This Is Music
    A New Decade
    Stormy Clouds
    A Northern Soul
    All In The Mind
    Bitter Sweet Symphony
    Lucky Man
    Come On
    Weeping Willow
    Rolling People
    Velvet Morning

While there are many bands this year that I do like The Verve is the main reason I am going! I was dying to to see the reunion in GB and not able to make it.

A Northern Soul is one of the best albums EVER! Richard Ashcroft one of the best songwriters ever...

Can hardly wait!

I know im gonna love them when I see them.

Then... their set will be over.
    Sell my guitars!? Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?

I listened to 2 1/2 youtube videos, and I can't say I like more anything other than "Bittersweet Symphony" at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

I just want to hear the drugs dont work live, and along the lines of waiting for that one song, waiting for the flood by love and rockets
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I just want to hear BSS and Sonnet...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

Lurker

THEY SUCK??? And your basing this on the "t.v. song"?

You're a moron. There's no way around it. Only a moron passes judgement on something they know nothing about. I can't believe you're 37 years old.

By the way people, that TV song, Bitter Sweet Symphony, is owned by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Blame them for the song's overexposure.

Thumbs down Re: THE VERVE

I think the only reason any one knows about them is because of "Bittersweet Symphony"...one hit wonders...and If I'm not mistaken that whole song was sampled from a Rolling Stones song.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolGuy12 View Post
    I think the only reason any one knows about them is because of "Bittersweet Symphony"...one hit wonders...and If I'm not mistaken that whole song was sampled from a Rolling Stones song.
    no and they are not one hit wonders. and i heard something about a sample the violins or something i need to hear the rolling stones song, but bittersweet symphony is not their best song and the verve is the best band of friday!
    Last edited by hypervera; 01-31-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Wrong. "Although the song's lyrics were written by Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft, it has been credited to Keith Richards and Mick Jagger because the song uses the Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of The Rolling Stones' 1965 song "The Last Time" as its foundation.

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[4] Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" is largely based on the Oldham track (the song uses the sample as its foundation and then builds upon, though the continuous riff is Ashcroft's creation), which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.
    “ "We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing," says band member Simon Jones. "They rung up and said 'we want 100 per cent or take it out of the shops', you don't have much choice."[5] ”

After losing the composer credits to the song, Richard Ashcroft commented, "This is the best song [Mick] Jagger and [Keith] Richards have written in 20 years."[6]

The song was later used, against the will of the band, by Nike in a shoe commercial. As a result, it was on the Illegal Art CD from the magazine Stay Free!. The song was also used in a Vauxhall Motors commercial, prompting Ashcroft to declare onstage, "Don't buy Vauxhall cars, they're shit", and the film Cruel Intentions. However the band was able to stop further use of the song by employing the European legal concept of moral rights.

Ashcroft and the band's reaction to the loss of control and financial rewards from what was their most popular song was not positive; and it has been argued long after that the issue contributed to Ashcroft's depression.[weasel words] The band split not long afterwards.

On Ashcroft's return to touring, the song traditionally ended the set list. Ashcroft also reworked the single for 'VH2 Live' for the music channel VH1, stripping the song of its strings. Ashcroft is quoted as saying during the show: "Despite all the legal angles and the bullshit, strip down to the chords and the lyrics and the melody and you realize there is such a good song there."

He also dedicated the song to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards at a gig at the Sage Gateshead in Gateshead. After an audience member booed, Ashcroft exclaimed, "Don't boo, man. As long as I can play this song I'm happy to pay a few of those guys' bills."

In a Cash For Questions interview with Q magazine in 1998, Keith Richards was asked if he thought it was harsh taking all The Verve's royalties from Bitter Sweet Symphony to which he replied, "I'm out of wack here, this is serious lawyer shit. If The Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money".

Quote Originally Posted by Weeping Willow View Post
    Wrong. "Although the song's lyrics were written by Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft, it has been credited to Keith Richards and Mick Jagger because the song uses the Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of The Rolling Stones' 1965 song "The Last Time" as its foundation.

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[4] Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" is largely based on the Oldham track (the song uses the sample as its foundation and then builds upon, though the continuous riff is Ashcroft's creation), which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.
    I'm still right

I'm still right
    actually, no you're not right. You said the "whole song was sampled from a Rolling Stones song", when in fact the sample comes from a tiny portion of an orchestral cover of an old Rolling Stones song. I could have sworn I pasted that information above but maybe i'm sleep deprived.

They used four bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeping Willow View Post
    actually, no you're not right. You said the "whole song was sampled from a Rolling Stones song", when in fact the sample comes from a tiny portion of an orchestral cover of an old Rolling Stones song. I could have sworn I pasted that information above but maybe i'm sleep deprived.
    i listened "the last time" by the stones!! and i dont know where the fuck is the music or sound or whatever that the verve used like a sample! but i dont care the verve fuckin rules!

Lurker

Ashcroft wore a T-shirt with a classic image of Keith Richards on it when I saw them in Chicago some years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hypervera View Post
    i listened "the last time" by the stones!! and i dont know where the fuck is the music or sound or whatever that the verve used like a sample! but i dont care the verve fuckin rules!
    yeah, i've read before that the sample was unrecognizable. It's beyond lame that the Stones get money for that song.