Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

Default Re: Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    ..ask "how live" everyone was going to get. .
    I will be getting very fucking live, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

AFAIK Norman always DJs, someone come up with a link talking about him doing LivePA.

Lurker

having seen Pendulum Live and as a DJ set i can safely say either is Amazing but the Live set is something else..
    it'll blow you away.

April - Coachella Festival, 2 Many DJ's, City & Colour, We Came As Romans.
    May - Bonobo, Bring Me The Horizon, While She Sleeps, Architects, Hundredth, Fucked Up, Devil Wears Prada, Rolo Tomassi, Ed Sheeran.
    June - Phospherescents, Download Festival, Glastonbury Festival.
    July - Exit Festival, Lattitude Festival, WOMAD Festival.
    August - Hevy Festival, Big Chill Festival, Leeds Festival.
    September - Bestival.

Ok well heres a confirmation

Pendulum - Live (super cool because every other show on their tour is a dj set and apparently their live set is off the hook, plus their new album drops March 17. www.pendulum.com)

Did anyone catch Justice in Downtown LA last year? Would that be considered a live set or a DJ set? What's the damn difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by sighlent View Post
    you must be a troll or an idiot.

I guess there isn't REALLY a huge difference when it comes to Justice. A live set is generally a band playing their own material on equipment other than turntables (CD turntables, in Justice's case) while a DJ set is the band playing music from several artists on two turntables. That's the basic difference but in Justice's case their DJ sets and live sets are pretty similar so it's whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by E-rock View Post
    Did anyone catch Justice in Downtown LA last year? Would that be considered a live set or a DJ set? What's the damn difference?
    They played records/cds.

Live Sets = Keyboards, Synthesizers, Electronic Drums, Moog, ETC

DJ Set = Turntables, CD Players, ETC

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    They played records/cds.

Live Sets = Keyboards, Synthesizers, Electronic Drums, Moog, ETC

DJ Set = Turntables, CD Players, ETC

Don't forget a laptop. Really that's all that needed to call it a live set these days. Basically any set performed without turntables (and CDJ's ARE turntables, I don't care what anyone says), is considered "live"

yea, i mean, if youre just spinning the records and not using serato with a loop based sample. total sample control really.

Quote Originally Posted by E-rock View Post
    That was a DJ set. Their live set is only their music/remixes so it's much better

This thread title makes me think of AIR.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

I'm 99.99% sure Holy Fuck is a live PA act I am seeing them in a few weeks and will be able to confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJesus28 View Post
    Paul Tollett do something!
    Daddy P! Help

Quote Originally Posted by jonnypark View Post
    I'm 99.99% sure Holy Fuck is a live PA act I am seeing them in a few weeks and will be able to confirm.
    They are fully live- drums, guitars, synths. And they rock!

Booka Shade i hear is off the hook, I have bud who saw them not long ago, and said they brinng your personal house down

Quote Originally Posted by jonnypark View Post
    I didn't even know Holy Fuck were known for DJing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian View Post
    Ya i named the thread after that air song, its so good.
    too bad they were super gay last year and started an hour late so they conflicted with ratatat so I couldn't see them. what a pair of dicks.
    Yeah, it sucked because we all missed something (Manu Chao, myself) waiting on them. HOWEVER, it wasn't their fault. The house crew (not theirs) had problems setting things up. Even so, they humbly (and formally) apologized on this message board anyway and promised to return to LA to make it up to everyone, a promise they kept.

One day your ignorant potty mouth will land you somewhere you probably deserve, my friend.

...and "too bad they were super gay" ?? Too bad you're a super idiot.
    Last edited by digitalface; 01-30-2008 at 04:03 PM.

link to air apologizing on this board plz

This is the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by raffjones View Post
    Well guys, all I can say on behalf of team Air is sorry. But there are a couple of things you've got to know:

1. The reason we were so late going on stage was that the American crew fucked up big time backstage - there was a spaghetti junction of leads, and no-one knew what was wrong. Half the lines were down, including some crucial stuff like bass, SH-101, JB's keyboards etc. We couldn't start to play until these things were fixed... and it was heartbreakingly frustrating to be kept waiting and waiting.
    2. Because of the above problems, there were stacks of problems with the mix.
    3. No-one had diarrhoea.
    4. They were enforcing the set times, so the set was cut really really short - we had four more songs on the list.

It was a suicide camp afterwards - we'd really hoped it would be a great show, as the American tour has been going great. Festivals can really mess with your head.

Sorry anyway,

Steve Jones (Air band)

You were active in that thread, Trick, you don't remember?

nah I missed that post I guess. that's really cool of them though. I'd like to see them again non festival.

live or dj doesnt matter, usually live set will just be a pa set anyway
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

too bad they were super gay last year and started an hour late so they conflicted with ratatat so I couldn't see them. what a pair of dicks.
    Ratatat is terrible anyway.

This will always be debated, I mean is Justice really all that live???

Thumbs down Re: Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

What a dick! When did something super LAME become GAY?
    Pshaw!
    Quote Originally Posted by sighlent View Post
    you must be a troll or an idiot.

I saw AIR and Ratatat last year. I think I only saw Ratatat's last several songs, but it was really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    This will always be debated, I mean is Justice really all that live???
    no it will not be debated. This is not a subtle defintion. Can everybody just let it sink in that no turntables = live. It doesn't matter how good it is or how improvised it is.

Coachella DJs get the party moving with MP3s

Sasha & John Digweed at Coachella on April 26.

As the music festival showed, they no longer have to lug around crates of albums. But one glitch could mean the show is over.

By Charlie Amter, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

May 4, 2008

THERE'S a video clip making the rounds on YouTube featuring English actor Steve Coogan from the U.K. television show "Saxondale" talking about the state of DJs in the post-vinyl era. "What on God's green Earth is that?" Coogan asks incredulously of a club track playing on the car stereo. "These days [to be a DJ] you need to know how to operate Windows XP. . . . What do they practice? Moving the mouse around?"

Well, maybe.

Last weekend at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, there were plenty of cursors moving across screens (though to be fair, few of those computers were running Windows XP; more like a variant of Macintosh's OS X). But the new school of DJs playing the festival certainly didn't need practice selecting the right MP3s to play -- DJs have embraced MP3s as the format of choice, heading to websites like beatport.com to download new material and leaving behind bulky albums and CDs in favor of managing their files with software like Serato Scratch Live and Traktor.

Related
    STORY: Complete Festival Coverage"When you are a vinyl DJ, you have to wait to get tracks on vinyl before you can play them out," offers L.A. fixture Steve Aoki. "Since Serato, you can play anything you produce the second [it's] ready to go -- and you don't have to carry crates of records anywhere."

Of course, relying heavily on technology isn't without risk. There's always the possibility of a crash that could bring the party to an abrupt halt.

"I've been pretty fortunate in that I've never had a crash," says electronic artist Deadmau5 (whose adopted moniker is pronounced Deadmouse but whose real name is Joel Zimmerman). "I'm using custom-built software, which helps."

Not every dance music purveyor has been so lucky. British DJ Sasha has been very public about his reluctance to switch over to crash-prone computers when playing live and his subsequent late transition to using a Macintosh G5 instead of vinyl or CDs. So, naturally, he was the one to experience every DJ's worst nightmare before a high-profile engagement in Miami three months ago during the annual dance music confab known as the Winter Music Conference.

"Ten minutes before I was supposed to play at [South Beach club] Mansion, . . . I was just about to go on and play and my system crashed," he says. "I made a last-minute call to a friend, and he brought me a spare controller. . . . I went on a half-hour late, and it messed up my entire night, to be honest. If you don't know what caused the glitch, it stresses you out."

Now, though, he's become a convert. Sasha, who played Coachella on April 26, is using Ableton software for his Mac to play live. He says it's a "rare occurrence" that he has a fatal tech error that stops his set and that the "pluses outweigh the minuses" when it comes to using a computer-based platform.

"For the first six months, I was like a kid with a new toy," he says of his relatively new set-up. "But it didn't sound like me . . . it's almost like I had to train myself to sound like myself again." He sighs, adding: "I had to remember that it wasn't necessary to over-layer every track with effects."

Zimmerman, who programs his own sets instead of traditional "DJ'ing," likes to experiment with his own material on the fly, an example being his beloved progressive house track "Faxing Berlin," using code he wrote himself.

"I use different software all the time," he says. "The methodology of writing [in dance music] involves multiple passes, experimentation . . . stuff that you have to go back and edit. I'd be hard-pressed to be able to do that live on stage. But I always try to insert some elements that are new so that I'm at least performing the track. Audio technology keeps coming out with new stuff. If it's new, exploit it. That's the whole idea behind technology."
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.