Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

Default Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

I think its a good idea to have a thread where we compile as much info on which djs are playing live or playing dj sets this year, I've seen a lot of the acts on the bill play dj sets before but i've heard rumors that some of them are going to be doing it live this year... Last year I assumed Justice were doing a dj set as that's all i'd read about them doing before. This year I would rather not be taken by surprise.

For those who don't know the difference, read these wiki def'ns:
    DJ set: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_mix
    Live Performance Artist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_PA

I'm going to start with a list of the type of performance that I know these acts have generally played in the past, but if anyone can correct me please do:

Live PA acts:
    Kraftwerk
    Hot Chip
    Justice
    Calvin Harris
    Chromeo
    Fatboy Slim
    Midnight Juggernauts
    New Young Pony Club
    Datarock
    Uffie
    Holy Fuck
    Dan Deacon

DJ Sets:
    Diplo
    Busy P
    Boys Noize
    Erol Alkan
    Sasha & John Digweed
    Institubes Djs - Para One, Surkin, Orgasmic
    James Zabiela
    SebastiAn
    Kavinsky
    A-Trak
    Danny Tenaglia

Do Both Types of Performances Regularly:
    Simian Mobile Disco (probably live as their other US dates are live)
    Hot Chip, Justice (though they usually play live)

I'm Not Sure:
    Does It Offend You, Yeah?
    Cut Copy
    Modeselektor
    Junkie XL
    Booka Shade

Please add whatever info you can, and I'm sure I missed a few probably because I don't know them that well, but these are all of the electronic acts I like and would like to see.

Default Re: Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

OH and also, its important to note that I don't want this thread to turn into a big argument over which type of performance is better. Some artists play a much better dj set than live set and vice versa. I just want info.

Booka Shade, Does It Offend You, Modeselektor, and Cut Copy will all be live. I'm assuming Junkie XL is a DJ set but I really don't know. I think Fatboy might be DJ too?

pendulum will hopefully be live.

Quote Originally Posted by g0k1ngsg0 View Post
    It better damn be. And live meaning real instruments.

It has been confirmed through the band that Pendulum is playing a live set at Coachella
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

if fatboy slim is on a bigger staging area, he tends to do a live PA. but majorty of the time for club circuts and dance crowds he does a dj set. It does seem to vary with the type of crowd he has to play to.
    and junkie xl will probably do a dj set. I know he is a remixer and producer, but I dont see him doing a pa for coachella. I DARE YOU JXL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    And I get you're probably form the East Bay so by all means represent, but you must realize that the rest of us see that part of the world as a shittier version of San Francisco. SF light, if you will. Actually no, that would be an insult to SF.

Junkie xl id a live tour a couple of years ago...so it could live

Uffie will do a live set with Feadz, who will probably finish up their timeslot DJing himself. A-Trak & Kid Sister will probably do the same thing.

Kavinsky might do a live set. I've been hearing rumors that he's been working on his live performance, and he's a terrible DJ, so hopefully he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Robototron View Post
    Uffie will do a live set with Feadz, who will probably finish up their timeslot DJing himself. A-Trak & Kid Sister will probably do the same thing.

Kavinsky might do a live set. I've been hearing rumors that he's been working on his live performance, and he's a terrible DJ, so hopefully he will.
    I've been told Uffie will be doing a few songs In Between Feadz's Dj set. I really have no idea why it doesnt say Feadz & Uffie.

I've also been told that this will be Kavinsky's debut Live performance, hopefully its a step up from his DJ set
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

I wonder if SebastiAn and Kavinsky will do a dj set together a la the daft punk tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian View Post
    I wonder if SebastiAn and Kavinsky will do a dj set together a la the daft punk tour?
    What's the point? Kavinsky would try to mix, give up, and have SebastiAn do it for him, so essentially all we'd be seeing is an extended SebastiAn set.

yea i heard kavinsky is going to be doing his first live set. also, simian mobile disco will be live for sure.

Ableton kind of blurs the lines between what is "live" and what isn't. Junkie utilizes Ableton as a more "live" performance tool where Sasha and Digweed might use it more as a track-organizational program. Also, though Zabiela does most work with CDJ's, an 800, and an efx 1000, his show is anything but an ordinary DJ set, using the equipment innovatively, more like live instruments...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bliss209 View Post
    if fatboy slim is on a bigger staging area, he tends to do a live PA. but majorty of the time for club circuts and dance crowds he does a dj set. It does seem to vary with the type of crowd he has to play to.
    and junkie xl will probably do a dj set. I know he is a remixer and producer, but I dont see him doing a pa for coachella. I DARE YOU JXL!!!
    Junkie XL only does PA. Although some might think he is djing, he is actually always performing live with the equipment he uses. In fact, he does not DJ at all.

although i have seen him do a dj set, i am pretty sure boys noize will be playing live ... (new album is definitely worth a listen if you haven't checked it out ...)

i also agree that cut copy and booka shade will be live sets ...

Quote Originally Posted by oKPSo View Post
    Ableton kind of blurs the lines between what is "live" and what isn't. Junkie utilizes Ableton as a more "live" performance tool where Sasha and Digweed might use it more as a track-organizational program. Also, though Zabiela does most work with CDJ's, an 800, and an efx 1000, his show is anything but an ordinary DJ set, using the equipment innovatively, more like live instruments...
    This is very true.

Distinction lies between vinyl, analog and digital. Yet, there are still a slew of artists who swim in the grey area between.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Ableton does not blur anything. The term "live" doesn't necessarily mean the performer has to be creating all the sounds on the fly in front of you. It just means their using a sequencer instead of turntables. In that sense both JunkieXL and Sasha&Digweed are both just as "live". It's just that JunkieXL does it with more panache.

Your post seems to presuppose that live sets are generally better than DJ sets, by your noted exception of Zabiela. I don't think this is necessarily true. It just seems to be ingrained in everyone's mind that live > DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by g0k1ngsg0 View Post
    and hopefully they will do a breaks set like they're doing at WMC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Ableton does not blur anything. The term "live" doesn't necessarily mean the performer has to be creating all the sounds on the fly in front of you. It just means their using a sequencer instead of turntables. In that sense both JunkieXL and Sasha&Digweed are both just as "live". It's just that JunkieXL does it with more panache.

Your post seems to presuppose that live sets are generally better than DJ sets, by your noted exception of Zabiela. I don't think this is necessarily true. It just seems to be ingrained in everyone's mind that live > DJ.
    (Un)fortunately Jack, I'll have to simultaneously disagree and agree with you. Though the definition of a live performer is potentially as finite as you describe; turntables vs. sequencing, that is certainly NOT the underlying concept upon which this thread is based. Its actually a complete waste of time and a hindrance to this thread to get into semantics and specific definitions... I agree with you that regardless of how you're using a program like ableton, the performance can technically be considerded "live". However, depending on the depth of sequential utilization or "panache" as you say, who can really argue that there are not varying levels of how "live" a perfomance actually is, regardless of whether or not there are turntables present.

The point I was making regarding Zabiela was not to condone the assumption that a live set is better than a dj set. On the contrary, I was pointing out that a dj set (as defined by you) can be just as "live", by the general public definition, as a set using no turntables. And alike, a "live" set as defined by you, can be the most predictable and monotonous waste of 60 -120 minutes of my life. I don't give a fuck what equipment they're pressing buttons on as long as its the intentional and relatively immediate improvisational reaction to how I'm shaking my fucking ass at that given moment of time.

Last edited by oKPSo; 01-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.

In the context of how this thread started semantics are completely relevant.
    It was cut and dry. He asked who was live and who was DJing. He didn't ask "how live" everyone was going to get. I understand the point of your post , but in the strict sense of a "live" being distinguised from a DJ set, which is what the original poster was after, you were confusing the issue.

You are further confusing the issue by calling Zabiela's DJ set just as "live".

I get what you're saying, it's not a big issue, it's just confusing the point of the thread.

No biggie.

It was cut and dry. He asked who was live and who was DJing. He didn't ask "how live" everyone was going to get. I understand the point of your post , but in the strict sense of a "live" being distinguised from a DJ set, which is what the original poster was after, you were confusing the issue.

I get what you're saying, it's not a big issue, it's just confusing the point of the thread.

No biggie.
    hmmm... totally, I see your frame of reference now. If anything, we're probably in support of the same thing: "Live" is not necessarily better than "DJ" (in a "cut and dry" sense of the terms). But c'mon do we really have to consider a performer "live" because they have a laptop and a mini korg?

hmmm... totally, I see your frame of reference now. If anything, we're probably in support of the same thing: "Live" is not necessarily better than "DJ" (in a "cut and dry" sense of the terms). But c'mon do we really have to consider a performer "live" because they have a laptop and a mini korg?
    Well you can't call them a DJ.. What would you rather say? Almost Live? Prerecorded but then played back by the person who created it?

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I'm totally with you on the disdain for "live" performers who abuse the technology by wiring up a set and then just stare at a play cursor scroll for 2 hours. However, if the set is truly entertaining and sufficiently different from show to show (not to mention the released versions of the tracks), then I forgive this. What you're paying for (and let's be honest, EDM shows don't cost that much) is the hours and hours the artist spent arranging the set.

In my mind that's more entertaining then some rock band who barely know how to play their instruments just dragging themselves up on stage and going through the motions the same way they did the last dozen shows.

Talking Re: Electronic Performers - Live Sets vs. Dj Sets?

No biggie.
    I started writing a response to this thread but stopped because I dind't want to start down a long ass diatribe about live vs. not live. Especially the use of Ableton (which I fully support, btw).

To me, my expectations out of a DJ set is that the performer will be playing predominantly someone else's music (for the most part). Versus a live act, someone will play mostly their own.

Yeah, you could argue someone could cut up elements of different songs and fuse them together to make something completely new, and depending on the medium, that individual is either beatjuggling, using on the fly samples and efx (say like Zabiela) with CDJs, or taking a lot of samples, creating loops before hand, and triggering them live (say with Ableton). I dunno. There isn't really a right. Especially considering you can use Ableton to x-fade music and essentially "DJ" a set with a proper MIDI controller.

In any event, to me, if the chems are playing all chems, and there is some manual manipulation/triggering of the loops they are playing, they are not DJing. Fatboy blurs the line due to his hybrid use of decks and samplers and effects.

Ahh fuck it, I give up. I have a headache.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I'm totally with you on the disdain for "live" performers who abuse the technology by wiring up a set and then just stare at a play cursor scroll for 2 hours. However, if the set is truly entertaining and sufficiently different from show to show (not to mention the released versions of the tracks), then I forgive this. What you're paying for (and let's be honest, EDM shows don't cost that much) is the hours and hours the artist spent arranging the set.

In my mind that's more entertaining then some rock band who barely know how to play their instruments just dragging themselves up on stage and going through the motions the same way they did the last dozen shows.
    No doubt. Also, as you pointed out, one cannot take for granted the HOURS that go into orchestrating a live set.

everybody take a 10 minute break.

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    Well you can't call them a DJ.. What would you rather say? Almost Live? Prerecorded but then played back by the person who created it?
    I DO like "Prerecorded but then played back by the person who created it" but the length might stop this ship from sailing... an acronym could work though.

honestly, I don't have any problem calling them a DJ if their just mixing finished, unlayered, tracks with the occasional synth or handclap insert. Otherwise, the label "live" seems to loose validity for artists who deserve it. A pretty good amount of even the opening DJ's I see are now using Ableton, but If I read "Johnny Soandso LIVE opening for BT LIVE with special closing set from Rick Fitzapleton LIVE" on a flyer, you wouldn't laugh? Really, not even a chuckle or a subtle grin of doubt?

BTW, I definitely consider BT's live show "live". The sarcasm is directed more to the opening and closing ficticious characters.
    Last edited by oKPSo; 01-28-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robototron View Post
    What's the point? Kavinsky would try to mix, give up, and have SebastiAn do it for him, so essentially all we'd be seeing is an extended SebastiAn set.
    I see no problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Gaaaaaaak!!!! I can't stop POSTING!!!!