Thread: Diabetic stuff?

Red face Diabetic stuff?

So this is my first year going..cuz I couldn't get the money together in time for last year. I have Juvinelle Diabetes..so I have to take at least 4-5shots daily. I'm planning on getting a note to put with my pack from my doctor, but I'm just wondering what other diabetics have done in the past. Do they look in your bags at the entrance like at most concerts? I've never traveled other than going to the mainland(I'm from Van. Island), so this is all pretty new and I'm just trying to figure things out to avoid any problems! Thanks

Default Re: Diabetic stuff?

I'm diabetic myself...but I only take pills so i wouldn't know what to tell you...good luck though, and have fun....see at you Coachella 08!!!
    Coachella 2013
    The Stone Roses-Blur-Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Grinderman-Dog Blood-Beach House-Metric-Stars-Johnny Marr-Wolfgang Gartner-Nicky romero-Tommy Trash-Sparks-The XX-The Postal Service- New Order-Knife Party-Benny Benassi-Moby-Franz Ferdinand- SMD-Cafe Tacvba-Bat for Lashes-Richie Hawtin-Major Lazer-Fedde Le Grand-Bingo Players-Savages-3Ball MTY- Nick Cave-Vampire Weekend-Eric Prydz-Grimes-The Faint-Hardwell-Paul Oakenfold-Dinasaur Jr-OMD-Rodriguez-Parov Stelar Band

My friend has diabetes and at some concerts they have a medical tent that you check in with and leave your stuff with them. Whenever you need a shot you go there and get it. I dont know if there is something similar at coachella?
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I'd like to buy a needle off you after you get inside, thanks. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Im diabetic and got type 1, the Coachella check seemed pretty thorough, but I think in 2007 i would just shoot up before I got in and then when I got back to the tent Id shoot up again. I use Lantus, so I only need to shoot that once a day, and then for Humalog i use about twice a day, so one before i go inside, one before i go to sleep. I dont wanna end up going low during the day, with all the walking around you're doing.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Im diabetic and got type 1, the Coachella check seemed pretty thorough, but I think in 2007 i would just shoot up before I got in and then when I got back to the tent Id shoot up again. I use Lantus, so I only need to shoot that once a day, and then for Humalog i use about twice a day, so one before i go inside, one before i go to sleep. I dont wanna end up going low during the day, with all the walking around you're doing.
    Yeah I'm on lantus as well, but the other shots are taken with Novorapid...which I need everytime I eat and we're renting a condo..so I won't be close at all to my supplies =/

-----------
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'd like to buy a needle off you after you get inside, thanks. =)
    haha yeaaaah.....no.

-----------
    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    My friend has diabetes and at some concerts they have a medical tent that you check in with and leave your stuff with them. Whenever you need a shot you go there and get it. I dont know if there is something similar at coachella?
    I'll have to check about something like that, I didn't even think of them having a tent set-up for that kinda thing. At most concerts I've gone to, when they check my bag they ask whats in the little bag i have it all kept in, and then let me in with it, but at something as big as coachella i doubt it's that easy lol. I'll look into that tent thing though, thanks

The FAQ has an answer for you:

What about bringing in my medical prescription? example: Diabetic insulin?

You should identify yourselves to security while waiting to enter the venue. Security will locate the medical folks adjacent to the main entrance, and they will assist you in storing and providing a secure area for diabetics. ALL Medical prescriptions and accompanying names on those containers will need to match the person's proper ID.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Just make sure you have the original containers / prescription labeling (including for the needles - pretty sure you have to have a prescription for insulin needles in CA). They are not going to care about having a note from your doctor and would have no way to verify it.

It is a big festival, and lots of people have to bring in prescriptions, insulin, etc. I carry epinephrine auto-inject needles for allergies, and security knew right away what they were.

I am a type 1 diabetic and have attended Coachella 6 different years. Getting medication in has never been a problem. I usually inject wherever I want, but if you want less scrutiny, you can do it in the first aid tent. Security pretty much knows that a needle is required to inject insulin so the needles do not need your Rx info on them. As long as your name is on the bottles or boxes for the insulin, you should be fine. Bring an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack in it to keep your insulin cool and bring plenty of cash in case you need a snack if your blood sugar gets low.
    Last edited by KimKam; 01-26-2008 at 08:11 PM.

thank you KimKam for posting from your experience!
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by KimKam View Post
    I am a type 1 diabetic and have attended Coachella 6 different years. Getting medication in has never been a problem. I usually inject wherever I want, but if you want less scrutiny, you can do it in the first aid tent. Security pretty much knows that a needle is required to inject insulin so the needles do not need your Rx info on them. As long as your name is on the bottles or boxes for the insulin, you should be fine. Bring an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack in it to keep your insulin cool and bring plenty of cash in case you need a snack if your blood sugar gets low.
    Thanks! That's a huge help!

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    The FAQ has an answer for you:

What about bringing in my medical prescription? example: Diabetic insulin?

You should identify yourselves to security while waiting to enter the venue. Security will locate the medical folks adjacent to the main entrance, and they will assist you in storing and providing a secure area for diabetics. ALL Medical prescriptions and accompanying names on those containers will need to match the person's proper ID.
    thanks, i was trying to find that in the FAQ but i couldn't.

Can you bring in prescription medical marijuana?
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

methadone okay? I'm trying to get off the train and this is what they gave me
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

ALL Medical prescriptions and accompanying names on those containers will need to match the person's proper ID.

same process for all meds, tell security, show them your perscription, yadda yadda. be adult about it.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Smile Re: Diabetic stuff?

They have staff to help with your stuff.Fridge for insulin etc. Take letter from Doc and you will be good to go.

Coachella 2009 was totally friggin' lame with the required medical staff check of my meds. Was pulled to the side for the check, medical personnel was called and there I stood for 10 minutes. Different staff kept asking 'have you been helped?' Finally a medical supervisor of some sort approached me and asked what was up. Told him my diabetic meds story, he quickly checked my supply, sighed in disbelief and sent me into the event. Guess it worked out for some random kid later that night. My ticket was never scanned so I gave it away when we departed. Even delayed, not really difficult to get insulin and syringes into Coachella.

This has been very useful thanks guys.

Does anyone know if anything major has changed in the last few years for diabetics?
    twitter: @mrjonathanboyle

instagram: jnthnbyl

Cool Re: Diabetic stuff?

I am a type 1 diabetic and last year was my first Coachella.
    I brought in a backpak everyday and just kept my insulin Pens(pens use screw on needles!) and sugar tablets with me all day.
    I never had problems with security the entire weekend.
    Sugar tablets are a must, especially if you plan on being near the front of any main stage during a top performer...

As mentioned earlier... be on the safe side and dont inject so much insulin... use Lantus to your advantage... the last thing you want is low blood sugars throughout the day...

cliff bars, sugar tablets, plenty of fluids, and safe drug use and you should be fine!

side note: i did not need or bring any doctor notes/proof of prescription. Also don't rely on the medical tent to keep your diabetic supplies available for you... keep them on you at all times!

peace
    Last edited by tonytone87; 04-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.

THAT was very helpful dude. If you're around for weekend 2 I owe you a beer. Cheers
    twitter: @mrjonathanboyle

instagram: jnthnbyl

Can anyone report on experience getting diabetic supplies into the fest and storing/retrieving them from the medical tent this year? We are going weekend 2 and my wife with gestational diabetes is wondering if she could leave her stuff overnight or if we have to take it back at the end of each day? Is the tent the one just North of where it says Lobby on the map, between the general store, cool zone, and restrooms? Any help is appreciated.

I can second the glucose tablet advice. I got a few lows over the weekend and they were a life saver. Just make sure you grab something hearty to eat soon after that. Security never said anything about the glucose tabs and were only thrown off a bit by my insulin pump. I just always identified myself as diabetic and got through pretty easily.