Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What bands have disappointed you?

Lurker

Default Re: What bands have disappointed you?

Paul Oakenfold - especially the long-haired version of last year.
    '05 Snow Patrol - Blah
    '05 Chemical Bros. - Just didn't have the energy imo.
    '05 New Order - Bo-ring.
    '04 Bright Eyes - I really don't get the obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by R3d Snapper View Post
    Massive attack was amazing, the sound for their performance was great compared to some of their other shows.
    Yeah, Massive Attack at Coachella were amazing, but their performance wasn't quite so good when they came to Phoenix. Still MOSTLY good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

I believe it is widely accepted as fact that the Trail of Dead show at Coachella was pretty much the worst thing ever.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohnIII View Post
    Paul Oakenfold - especially the long-haired version of last year.
    '05 Snow Patrol - Blah
    '05 Chemical Bros. - Just didn't have the energy imo.
    '05 New Order - Bo-ring.
    '04 Bright Eyes - I really don't get the obsession.

While Oakenfold is way sexy with long hair....his show last year was....not so sexy. I so agree with the Bright Eyes thing. Did you guys see his performance on the Coachella movie? there were all these girls sobbing....that was hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    I believe it is widely accepted as fact that the Trail of Dead show at Coachella was pretty much the worst thing ever.
    yeah...in retrospect and after seeing them like 6 or 7 times total...that was the worst performance they've ever given

Depeche Mode was the biggest disapointment ever, there setlist was whack!!! they should of played all their newave/electro/80s dance songs instead.

on the other hand I never really liked Franz until i saw them live. I started listening to them after seeing them @ last years coachella.

Ladytron dissapointed me last year the vocals were off for the first part of the set. Second half was much better though, but still a dissapointment nonetheless.

I liked "Destroy Everthing You Touch" the best...I saw them in SLC last October in a much smaller venue and the show was much better

The one disappointing act that stands out in my mind is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah in 2006. The one highlight from that set though was hearing the "Satan..." song for the first time.

I'm disappointed too with Depeche Mode.

Others:

Bloc Party
    TV On The Radio
    The Dears
    Deerhoof
    Sleater Kinney
    The Duke Spirit

2006 - Massive Attack comes to mind (their sound just wasn't reproduced well live)
    No way, best show ever, in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Yeah, The Cure must have had technical problems. I've never seen them give anything less than 100%. No way they could be "worn out" 45 minutes in...they're usually just getting warmed up by then.

I saw them later that summer in Phoenix. Outdoor show, hotter than Coachella. They played over 2 1/2 hours, and just kept getting better and better. They went way past the 11pm city noise curfew, doing several encores. After the second one, Robert came out and said "Hang on...we're trying to find out how much the fine is...we might be back."

They came back and blew the place up with "Forever". Damn, that was a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    Bloc Party
    TV On The Radio
    Deerhoof
    Sleater Kinney
    I liked all of those, to some degree ... assuming you're talking about Bloc Party in '05, I didn't see them last year. TVOTR weren't mind-blowing but I thought it was a pretty cool set - especially Sitek's beat-boxing on the last tune. Deerhoof was fun as always and though I've seen S-K better elsewhere, I didn't think they sucked or anything.

sleatter kinney were just f**king boring

and coheed and cambria dissapointed me in teh fact taht they havent play all their hit songs (like the suffering or a favor house atlantic)
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa pea View Post
    I'm missing school Friday and Monday for Coachella...and I'm the teacher!

What about Animal Collective??? I left after two songs. I think they were just trying to piss the audience off.

For me, Animal Collective was probably the best performance after Daft Punk last year.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    I'm disappointed too with Depeche Mode.

Others:

Bloc Party
    TV On The Radio
    The Dears
    Deerhoof
    Sleater Kinney
    The Duke Spirit
    Not sure what the other post about this meant, but I hope you mean Bloc Party's 2006 set. I missed that to stay in for Wolf Parade/stellastarr*/Editors up front.

The 2005 BP set was one of my top 3 or 4 Coachella sets I've seen (this will be my 5th year)

As for the Duke Spirit, a little disappointing with the broken arm of the bassist, if that's what you mean, but, I thought they sounded great. One of my favorite finds from attending Coachella ... love them

My biggest disappointments from last year were Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (good CD; not so good live) and Madonna (late start, short set, total PR stunt). Although Madonna did allow me to catch part of Mogwai's set, so it wasn't a complete loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

i don't know if i've ever left a set and been like "that sucked"

britt daniel had a sore throat/cold during spoon's set in 05' so he sounded kindof rotten.

mf doom kindof sucked but i only stayed for 2 songs.

new order was weak but i got to hear love will tear us apart which redeems all weakness.

wow... I the opportunity to see MF DOOM live. I think the most dissapointing set for me was Pedro The Lion in '05. Just didnt do it for me.

I was disappointed in Sigur Ros last year too, but I think it was because Damian Marley was playing on the outdoor stage at the same time and drowned them out quite a bit. I have seen them at a symphony hall here though and it was great!

Massive Attack was my second favorite from last year after Daft Punk. I saw them at ACL in September and they were not nearly as good however, but Daddy G was not with them.

I agree somewhat about Sleater-Kinney. I think they are much better in a smaller setting. I saw one of their last shows here at the 9:30 Club last August, and it was fantastic. Much more energy then the Coachella show.

Bloc Party in 2006, in 2005 they were great, but last year the were really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    For me, Animal Collective was probably the best performance after Daft Punk last year.
    I agree, Animal Collective were on the top of my list for last year.

I thought The Walkmen's sound was off last year. Everything just seemed off balance.

Matisyahu last year. I guess I was expecting more. . .

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Primal Scream back in 2003. They look bored and didn't give a flick about their audience.

Weezer 2005. Rivers looked scared and intimidated. Barely looked or talked to the crowd.

Mars Volta 2003. I had seen them the year before, performing at one of the tents and they effing rocked. But 2003's performance was just boring. Lots of jumping around and little music (Maybe it was because it was so hot).

Blur 2003. I found out later that Damon Albarn has been ill from eating Mexican food but, still very boring (Apparently he had a nasty case of diarrhea so maybe I am being to harsh). Plus Blur had followed a BLISTERING Hives performance.

Madonna 2006. Well, I have never seen Madonna and like alot of people there this was probably my only chance to. I have had a lot of respect for her for all the things she has done. I didn't really know what to expect but in my head I expected just her and a DJ and (since this was the sahara tent) alot more of her electronic stuff like the Ray of light and Music albums. A more stripped down stage set up and more then 6 songs would have been nice. Plus hearing stuff like Bedtime Stories (Remember Bjork wrote that for her) and "Music" live would have been amazing. She is also know for throwing in some Kraftwerk tunes, but none of this came to be. She would have left with more crediblity had she done things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie McPooperson View Post
    What about Animal Collective??? I left after two songs. I think they were just trying to piss the audience off.
    I thought Animal Collective put on an excellent show last year.

I started to type in my answer but then realized I'd only be cruisin' for a bruisin'.

Flaming Lips was such a letdown, 4 songs is pathetic. and the Beastie Boys........... shut up and let people mosh if they want, not my cup of tea but people paid alot of money to dance however they choose. is its not aganist the law. and the George Bush rhetoric, just run for office already. we don't need to hear it between EVERY song!

weezer and new order were by far two of the bigger disappointments.

having said that, i want to execute a preemptive strike on jesus and mary chain.

they will not move around at all. if you are expecting anything other than some of the best music ever, you will be disappointed. dont be that person.

Lurker

Rage sucked when they played the first time.The cure was so boring and I agree with whoever mentioned the Bright Eyes Cult...what was up with all the little girls crying. There music isn't even that great.
    Best performances...oooh, that's a good thread to look at.
    Portishead in 2007.
    I have attended every year.