Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spiritualized

Hybrid View

Default Spiritualized

I was curious since they are going to be playing Sunday.

I picked up "Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" and it is nothing short of absolutely amazing.

They have a new album coming out in March, but I was wondering if anybody who is already a fan could recommend which album I should listen to next.

I'm very impressed by this band.

Default Re: Spiritualized

they are probably gonna do their acoustic mainlines set, which is very ...well...acoustic. still great though.

"let it come down" is a nice place to pick it up

ALSO

spacemen 3, jason pierces old band. much trippier, crazier. check em out.

can't wait for spiritaulized.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretPrescription View Post
    they are probably gonna do their acoustic mainlines set, which is very ...well...acoustic. still great though.
    I thought Jason Pierce had told Pitchfork, they are going electric for the leg of the tour that included Coachella.

"[J.Pierce] also alludes to a couple final Acoustic Mainlines gigs in the coming months (nothing confirmed as of yet), and "after that we're going electric." (!) The shows just might take place in "Vancouver down to Palm Springs in a few months." Hmm... Palm Springs in a few months... Coachella anyone?" - Pitchfork article.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ny-korine-film

Quote Originally Posted by jtovar21 View Post
    I thought Jason Pierce had told Pitchfork, they are going electric for the leg of the tour that included Coachella.

"[J.Pierce] also alludes to a couple final Acoustic Mainlines gigs in the coming months (nothing confirmed as of yet), and "after that we're going electric." (!) The shows just might take place in "Vancouver down to Palm Springs in a few months." Hmm... Palm Springs in a few months... Coachella anyone?" - Pitchfork article.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ny-korine-film
    so, who has seen an 'electric' spiritualized set? kick ass, or no?

I finally listened to Live @ Royal Alber Hall -- that was an Electric show and that album was absolutely amazing.

I don't know if I'd want to see an Acoustic performance when I could see an Electric instead.

I'd never heard Spiritualized before this year, so I dove in deep when I saw them on the poster. I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed.

However, after tooling around a bit, I see that this performance is going to be an "Acoustic Mainlines" show. And I have to be honest- I'm BUMMED about that, since the most significant allures of this band (IMO) are the breathtaking sonic textures on display on their albums.

For example: Two weeks ago, I had never heard the song "Out Of Sight" (from "Let It Come Down"), and now, it may be one of my favorite songs of all time. I get (and sustain) goosebumps every time I hear it... the way the song ebbs and flows is intoxicating... the swelling guitar echo, soaring horn section, and epic, crashing percussion of the chorus is in stark contrast to the hauntingly still moments of the song. This dynamic is staggering, and ultimately crucial. It seems like the gravity of such variations won't translate well in an "acoustic" setting, since you'll only be getting the more intimate facet of the craft.

Anybody who's seen them play both electric and acoustic sets, can you chime in here, and put my concerns to rest, or confirm my suspicions?

Quote Originally Posted by CurableOkie View Post
    I finally listened to Live @ Royal Alber Hall -- that was an Electric show and that album was absolutely amazing. I don't know if I'd want to see an Acoustic performance when I could see an Electric instead.
    I earlier recommended the Albert Hall album as the best they have to offer, and it is truly a good representation of the aural-assault wall of sound they whip up live.

acoustic....I don't know; it might be a bit boring. I think he might bring a choir or perhaps.

whereas electric, they are on the short list of bands i'd never miss. acoustic i'm not so sure.

This thread is semi-helpful

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15039

Get Laser Guided Melodies next, or, their live album.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

EDIT: NVM, Kreutz beat me to it.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 01-25-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Live at Royal Albert Hall, for sure. It's my favorite live album ever. It is not a good representation of what you might see in Indio, as you will be seeing Spiritualized’s “Acoustic Mainline," with Jason Pierce on acoustic guitar, joined only by an electric-pianist, a string quartet, and a four-woman choir. No drums, no bass, very little amplification.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeping Willow View Post
    Live at Royal Albert Hall, for sure. It's my favorite live album ever. It is not a good representation of what you might see in Indio, as you will be seeing Spiritualized’s “Acoustic Mainline," with Jason Pierce on acoustic guitar, joined only by an electric-pianist, a string quartet, and a four-woman choir. No drums, no bass, very little amplification.
    link?

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_cake530 View Post
    link?
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...ny-korine-film

"There will be two additional Acoustic Mainline dates prior to the show at Coachella on April 26th (change of day to that advertised)."

This has been on Spiritualized's web site since January, yet the Coachella poster was recently updated and they are still listed as playing on Sunday.

So who is wrong?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CurableOkie View Post
    "There will be two additional Acoustic Mainline dates prior to the show at Coachella on April 26th (change of day to that advertised)."

This has been on Spiritualized's web site since January, yet the Coachella poster was recently updated and they are still listed as playing on Sunday.

So who is wrong?
    I really really hope they stay put on Sunday...Saturday is too stacked...
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

so i saw them live in 2002. maybe 2003..... it was field day fest at Giants stadium.......it was borderline torture......and i like listening to their albums.
    aaaaaahhhgagagagagagagagoooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by F00FIGHTER20 View Post
    so i saw them live in 2002. maybe 2003..... it was field day fest at Giants stadium.......it was borderline torture......and i like listening to their albums.

didn't it rain the entire Field Day festival? were you water-boarded by J Spaceman?

I'm thrilled, i haven' seen them since they were opening for Radiohead in '98
    '99-'11...

LAGWAFIS>Ok Computer.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    LAGWAFIS>Ok Computer.
    hmmmm.....maybe....
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

Every single person at coachella should see spiritualized understanding that no one will take my advice seriously probably only 1/5 - 1/6 of Sunday goers will see them, unless major conflicts, but still thats a lot of people if its sold out
    Your books must be in Lajoya... Goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    LAGWAFIS>Ok Computer.
    July 1, 1997 was such a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I had to order the collected works online, second hand. one is coming from Butte, MT, the other from Albyquerque, NM. are they out of print? or were they never released in the US?

regardless, san francisco has a distinct lack of spiritualized cds. I had to go to four stores before I found copies of both Ladies & Gentlemen and Lazer Guided Melodies.
    The Complete Works comps were released in the US but were probably low production runs. They are necessary because Jason is rarely one to be done with a song so the number and variety of versions gets ridiculous. It's rather crazy that there's 4 full CDs worth of alternate versions and b-sides from about 10 years of the band's existence. They probably could have another 2CD set ready to go by now!

My ranking of the proper albums... but damn is it close.
    1. Pure Phase
    2. Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
    3. Let It Come Down
    4. Laser Guided Melodies
    5. Amazing Grace

Royal Albert Hall is an amazing live album, one of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    July 1, 1997 was such a good day.

The Complete Works comps were released in the US but were probably low production runs. They are necessary because Jason is rarely one to be done with a song so the number and variety of versions gets ridiculous. It's rather crazy that there's 4 full CDs worth of alternate versions and b-sides from about 10 years of the band's existence. They probably could have another 2CD set ready to go by now!

My ranking of the proper albums... but damn is it close.
    1. Pure Phase
    2. Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
    3. Let It Come Down
    4. Laser Guided Melodies
    5. Amazing Grace

Royal Albert Hall is an amazing live album, one of my favorites.
    Damn....I never bought Pure Phase or the live album.....::::goes searching through amazon::::

I was lucky enough to find Lazer Guided Melodies and Pure Phase at a used CD sale on the quad at college... back in 1995. I missed their acoustic tour at the Vista here in LA, and i curse myself for it... really psyched to see this at Coachella.

Spiritualized has been moved to Saturday. It's on their official website.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
    HOT. I was pretty apprehensive about Saturday.

That helps prevent a Spiritualized/Streets/Metric/MMJ clash. I was freaking out about that.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

http://www.spiritualized.com/prescri...tory.php?id=75

wow, good find, hope they don't conflict with Death Cab for Cutie, Cafe Tacuba, Sasha & Digweed or Cold War Kids

RU serious? Why?

Holy Shit Really?!!?!

I can't catch a fucking break. First Les Savy Fav & Man Man get moved from Sunday... and now Spiritualized!!!

My Sunday only tickets are depleting in value fast. They seriously better pull something epic on Sunday to make up for THREE BAND changes a week after line-up is released.

*curses more*

Which sucks, as if my Saturday wasn't packed enough...

a DCfC, Portishead or Kraftwerk conflict with Spiritualized is going to suck.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Something is for sure going on Sunday they're making a lot of room even if Waters does get a 3 hour set
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    theres nothing gay about snowballing...