Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Ronson

Default Mark Ronson

Who is this guy? Is he a DJ or something? Whats the deal?

I was listening to his mypace, and I really like what I hear. He even has a big band version of a Radiohead song.

Can someone tell me more about him?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Default Re: Mark Ronson

Avoid him like the plague.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I like some of his songs too, it seems to me he only does covers, at least that's all I got so far.

I'll check it out for sure. Maybe half set depending on the conflicts.
    Success has a simple formula: do your best, and people may like it.
    Sam Ewing

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Avoid him like the plague.
    Why do you hate him so much?

I just want to know what his live sets are like. Is he a DJ? Live band? DJ w/ a band? Whats the deal.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Why do you hate him so much?
    I hate all producers who think that, by virtue of just being producers, are actually musicians. (i.e. Timbaland, Kanye West, etc.)

Also, his covers suck. At least Kanye West makes original songs.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I dunno, I just thought his music sounds kinda fun. I dont care about the techincal aspects.

He's just some party DJ/producer... lots of shit for celebrity weddings, etc. Guy's some trust fund brat too- clearly it doesn't take much beyond familial wealth and good looks to get far in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I dunno, I just thought his music sounds kinda fun. I dont care about the techincal aspects.
    That's the part I take the most offense to. It'd be one thing if he were doing the Scarlett Johanson thing and doing a cover album with his own voice. The guy basically used the leftovers from Back to Black and hired a bunch of people to play the instruments and record the vocals. Pathetic.
    Upcoming Shows:

damn...for some reason i really dont like you.

number 1 passive hater.

You're going to have to fight the rest of them for that title, buddy.
    Upcoming Shows:

how sad...i'm not a hateful person, but you just make it too easy.

goodnight.

I think your new avatar is very original and funny,PT!
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

I find it funny that someone who describes himself as "not a hateful person" decidedly swings around terms like "number 1 passive hater" with nothing short of a whim.

Either way, Mark Ronson sucks.
    Upcoming Shows:

Mark Ronson is pure shit. His Smiths cover was completely unnecessary; he didn't bring anything new or interesting to the song.

Way to be helpful everyone! :/
    Mark Ronson is a producer-slash-DJ-slash-performer.
    He generally performs with a band and usually has guest vocalists cover the singing parts.
    He's produced stuff for Amy Winehouse, Nikka Costa and Lily Allen.
    I'm actually excited to catch is set. It should be fun!

Is it original material?

His live set is covers, with a full band (brass section etc) - I saw him last year at Wireless - He was alright, quite good to chill out to in the sun (the vibe would work less in a tent, i imagine). I may have a sniff if he doesn't clash with anyone.

Catch him getting blamed for all celebs in rehab here on a popular British TV show. It's quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...s&search_type=
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I find his Coldplay cover to be wholly annoying and most of the rest seems a bit average to me ... I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with him and I certainly think he's a decent fit for Coachella. If you're into it, go see him but I definitely won't be there.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I remember he had an awesome remix of air's alpha beta gaga a few years back.

He's performing at the Grammy's. With Amy Winehouse via satelite.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

i've been trying to look at you tube stuff for all the saturday bands and everything i found by him was a cover.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I hate all producers who think that, by virtue of just being producers, are actually musicians. (i.e. Timbaland, Kanye West, etc.)

Also, his covers suck. At least Kanye West makes original songs.

so some douche who can barely play 3 chords in a band full of idiots who play the same damn songs the same way for a whole tour have more musicianship than a person who studies multiple genres, spends spends countless hours composing and arranging and mixing in the studios (as opposed to a fucking couple takes of a shitty 3 minute track) and puts out new music weekly?

People like him aren't simply DJs, he often produces tracks with full instrumental accompaniment. He doesn't do "covers", they're called remixes, and by definition they are different than the originals. He also has albums of original tracks, you dipshit parot. Did you even bother to look?

Get fucked. Steal a more informed opinion. You have absolutely no idea what Timbaland, Kanye, Mark Ronson, Z-Trip, etc. actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    so some douche who can barely play 3 chords in a band full of idiots who play the same damn songs the same way for a whole tour have more musicianship than a person who studies multiple genres, spends spends countless hours composing and arranging and mixing in the studios (as opposed to a fucking couple takes of a shitty 3 minute track) and puts out new music weekly?
    Depends on the band, but that sounds like a lot of punk bands. I don't really like punk music (unless it's "genre-bending" like the Clash). I like to listen to bands that take a lot of time and effort to record and mix their material. I also like to acknowledge the work of other great musician producers, like Brian Eno, who made the transition from live performer to an excellent producer. The point is that Mark Ronson could sit at his production desk for months and, chances are, I would still think it sucked, even if he was promoting original material (which he isn't), and that the work of his contemporaries (again, Kanye and Timbaland) is also really shitty.

Z-Trip I haven't gotten around to listening to, yet, so I have no opinion on him.

People like him aren't simply DJs, he often produces tracks with full instrumental accompaniment. He doesn't do "covers", they're called remixes, and by definition they are different than the originals. He also has albums of original tracks, you dipshit parot. Did you even bother to look?
    Definition of a remix, from M-W: "a variant of an original recording (as of a song) made by rearranging or adding to the original"

Mark Ronson's new record, as described by Wikipedia: "Version is the second album by New York-based English DJ, Mark Ronson. It is an album of cover versions. It was released on 14 April 2007 in the iTunes Store. It entered the UK Album Chart at number two on 22 April.

His first album was all remixed tracks, but the second album, and the album getting him more commercial recognition, is a covers album. I love electronic music, and I love DJs, but the guy's best work is located behind the desk, CLEARLY.

The guy is basically trying to pass off leftover tracks from the Back to Black recordings as grade A recording material, and it sounds like... Leftover tracks from the Back to Black recording sessions. Nothing special, nothing warranting the press he's receiving (as well as taking away press from other DJs/electronic artists like Simian Mobile Disco, Boyz Noise, Hot Chip, just to use examples from this year's Coachella lineup) whatsoever.
    Upcoming Shows:

The guy is respected in hip hop circles for his production talent. He's been around for a long time. He's produced and performed with tons artists while the general public has no idea who he his. There are millions of people who have enjoyed his work without even knowing it.

I'll concede that he many of his recent tracks on his new may be more appropriately called covers , but only in the sense that he uses no sample of the original, but the reason he does so much work with other people's music is that he's constantly working with other artists. He's in very high demand to produce music for other people.

Do you not see the irony in your post? All of your knowledge of Mark Ronson is gleaned from wikipedia. Have you ever listened to Here Comes The Fuzz? I'm guessing no.

and btw, I wasn't just refering to punk bands as far as worthless no talent hack bands.
    You brought up "musicianship" when you clearly don't know what producers do.
    The definition of remix you looked up on the internet is also a bit constricting.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-08-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Definition of a remix, from M-W: "a variant of an original recording (as of a song) made by rearranging or adding to the original"

Mark Ronson's new record, as described by Wikipedia: "Version is the second album by New York-based English DJ, Mark Ronson. It is an album of cover versions. It was released on 14 April 2007 in the iTunes Store. It entered the UK Album Chart at number two on 22 April.

His first album was all remixed tracks, but the second album, and the album getting him more commercial recognition, is a covers album. I love electronic music, and I love DJs, but the guy's best work is located behind the desk, CLEARLY.

The guy is basically trying to pass off leftover tracks from the Back to Black recordings as grade A recording material, and it sounds like... Leftover tracks from the Back to Black recording sessions. Nothing special, nothing warranting the press he's receiving (as well as taking away press from other DJs/electronic artists like Simian Mobile Disco, Boyz Noise, Hot Chip, just to use examples from this year's Coachella lineup) whatsoever.
    Wow. You truely are a blow-hard of the highest order. Love the Wikipedia quote - way to cite your sources. It's pretty funny to me that by your standards, this guy's highest crime is "stealing press" from other artists who you feel are more worthy of the attention. You really think Hot Chip lay awake at night cursing Mark Ronson for stealing their headlines? Please. If any of those bands or DJs got more press than they already have, then they wouldn't be indie enough for you, and you'd have to move on to the next crop of artists toiling in Mark Ronson's shadow. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It's pretty funny to me that by your standards, this guy's highest crime is "stealing press" from other artists who you feel are more worthy of the attention. You really think Hot Chip lay awake at night cursing Mark Ronson for stealing their headlines?
    What he doesn't seem to get is that Mark Ronson's sound contributes largely to the those artists' notoriety. He's been hearing Mark Ronson for years but only recently ever thought to wiki him.

What he doesn't seem to get is that Mark Ronson's sound contributes largely to the those artists' notoriety. He's been hearing Mark Ronson for years but only recently ever thought to wiki him.
    Exactly. Everyone's an expert these days thanks to Myspace and the Wiki.

hes a great producer - to be honest i just wanna see him in person cuz hes hot as fuck -

The point is that Mark Ronson could sit at his production desk for months and, chances are, I would still think it sucked, even if he was promoting original material (which he isn't), and that the work of his contemporaries (again, Kanye and Timbaland) is also really shitty.
    Possibly the most blinkered, prejudiced, music related comment i've ever read on here, plus saying artists can become producers, but not vice versa is just dumb.

Is it ok to be both from day one? If not, i hope Steve Albini kicks you in the nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

He might do his album "Versions" live because the band who plays on his album & with Amy Winehouse is the Dap Kings and they're already performing with Sharon Jones. I love Mark Ronson's album. I don't find it offensive. 311 doing a cover of the Cure's " Love Song", now that was lame.
    MSTRKRFT @ Glasshouse Pomona 9/30
    MBV @SMCC 10/02
    LA Weekly Detour 10/04

M-I-M-I! Four capital letters...