Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My views on the Lineup, et. all

Default My views on the Lineup, et. all

So, I'm back. Yay, whatever, moving on.

Basically I've gotten over the fact that Jack Johnson is headlining Friday. Sure it sucks, but whatever, there'll still be other things to see that day.

What I think is a fucking crime, right now, is something I saw Boourns touch upon earlier: The 3rd line. The 3rd line of every day last year was jam-packed with diverse acts as far reaching as Willie Nelson, Damien Rice, Faithless, Sonic Youth, Placebo, The Rapture, The Roots, Crowded House, and Jarvis Cocker. This year we get rookie bands like the National (who I adore) and Chromeo, repeat acts like Gogol Bordello, Justice and Hot Chip, and one band that should be nowhere near the 3rd line (Tegan and Sara).

Now, when I make my case that there isn't a 35$ improvement in terms of talent and-all this year compared to last year, it is not because of Jack Johnson headlining. It's because of a distinct lack of middle-tier talent. Bands like the Raconteurs and Love and Rockets are sub-headliners this year where they would have been 3rd-liners last year. I don't see where my extra 10$ is going to, and I only pray it's going towards a tremendous Portishead light show and an equally tremendous Roger Waters light show (and hopefully technological improvements to the Outdoor Theatre so it stops having goddamn delays).

As the days go on I'm finding more to like about the lineup. Today I had the fortune of being able to listen to MGMT's new LP in full, and process it, and I have them pegged to see at Coachella. All it took were 2 youtube videos to convince me to see dan le sac VS Scroobius Pip, and I'm sure this kind of thing will continue to happen for me.

Part of me is starting to understand that GV is aiming at a different audience this time around, but part of me feels like certain components of the lineup are just fucking amateur (especially with the sheer number of bands who have more myspace hits than concert stops; basically the kind of hipster, Pitchfork-crazy-supporting band that have only an EP's worth of material to show for). I'm going to give the Swell Season a prompt listen-through, but any band whose press and material essentially comes from a MOVIE doesn't warrant a 3rd tier slot in my mind. I also don't understand how the Breeders' reunion is being trumped by the Love and Rockets reunion... That doesn't make sense. Also... Why in fuck's name did Goldenvoice book Slightly Stoopid?... Yeah, I know we need to tie over the JJ fans, but couldn't they get Ben Harper for that? (Also, I'd like to apologize on behalf of San Diego for ever producing music as utterly, undeniable shit as Slightly Stoopid...)

Onto the good things; the GOOD surprises!

KRAFTWERK - I missed one set of robots at Coachella, and I am damn sure not going to miss the other. The idea of Death Cab leading into Portishead leading into Kraftwerk fills me with more excitement than ANYTHING else on the poster this year! I definitely feel confident that, yet again, EDM has saved Coachella.

Flogging Molly - Woah. Did not see this one coming... Awesome.

Madness - Woah x2. Even better... But it's got me to think that... With Gogol Returning, Battles and Animal Collective on the same day, and Portishead headlining, that Paul Tollett is secretly in cahoots with... NONE OTHER THAN RAGE PATTON. *insert dramatic chipmunk*

Love and Rockets - Out of left field, really, and, despite being controversially the "biggest" reunion this year, will rock the house. Besides, David J is one of the coolest bassists ever.

I've so far pegged 26 (now 27 with MGMT) acts that I want to see. I definitely feel that Friday and Sunday are going to see some adds (PJ Harvey for Friday, please for the love of god?), and that the festival in of itself is going to be great.

I just honestly hope Jersechella tanks. It wont, but I hate that bastard child of a festival more than I hate Jack White. It's nothing more than a cop out on the people who helped make Goldenvoice a concert promoting force to be reckoned with; the Coachella attendees. I definitely feel betrayed this year, especially with talks of My Bloody Valentine and Radiohead headlining Capitalistchella. Just because it works on the west coast doesn't mean that there ought to be Coachella's everywhere, especially in New York (New York, New Jersey, same difference) who blew their chance at housing festivals with Woodstock 99's disaster...

Anyway, I'm done bitching, so tear apart my post to pieces! Meanwhile, I'm going to start listening to obscure bands that're playing this year that I've never fucking heard of!!!
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Default Re: My views on the Lineup, et. all

passive thanks for taking 24 hours to cool off. welcome back.

xxoo
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Aw, thankie.

I'm just waiting to be torn to shreds over my "I hope Jersechella dies" comment, that's all.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Welcome back, Passive.

I was being disingenuous--please resume shutting the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    I don't see where my extra 10$ is going to
    Inflation? Even if Goldenvoice kept the exact same types of acts year after year, they'd eventually have to raise ticket prices.

MBV will be in NYchella.

Nice thread.. Totally agree with the 3rd liners thing..

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Basically I've gotten over the fact that Jack Johnson is headlining Friday. Sure it sucks, but whatever, there'll still be other things to see that day.

What I think is a fucking crime, right now, is something I saw Boourns touch upon earlier: The 3rd line. The 3rd line of every day last year was jam-packed with diverse acts as far reaching as Willie Nelson, Damien Rice, Faithless, Sonic Youth, Placebo, The Rapture, The Roots, Crowded House, and Jarvis Cocker. This year we get rookie bands like the National (who I adore) and Chromeo, repeat acts like Gogol Bordello, Justice and Hot Chip, and one band that should be nowhere near the 3rd line (Tegan and Sara).

Now, when I make my case that there isn't a 35$ improvement in terms of talent and-all this year compared to last year, it is not because of Jack Johnson headlining. It's because of a distinct lack of middle-tier talent. Bands like the Raconteurs and Love and Rockets are sub-headliners this year where they would have been 3rd-liners last year. I don't see where my extra 10$ is going to, and I only pray it's going towards a tremendous Portishead light show and an equally tremendous Roger Waters light show (and hopefully technological improvements to the Outdoor Theatre so it stops having goddamn delays).

As the days go on I'm finding more to like about the lineup. Today I had the fortune of being able to listen to MGMT's new LP in full, and process it, and I have them pegged to see at Coachella. All it took were 2 youtube videos to convince me to see dan le sac VS Scroobius Pip, and I'm sure this kind of thing will continue to happen for me.

Part of me is starting to understand that GV is aiming at a different audience this time around, but part of me feels like certain components of the lineup are just fucking amateur (especially with the sheer number of bands who have more myspace hits than concert stops; basically the kind of hipster, Pitchfork-crazy-supporting band that have only an EP's worth of material to show for). I'm going to give the Swell Season a prompt listen-through, but any band whose press and material essentially comes from a MOVIE doesn't warrant a 3rd tier slot in my mind. I also don't understand how the Breeders' reunion is being trumped by the Love and Rockets reunion... That doesn't make sense. Also... Why in fuck's name did Goldenvoice book Slightly Stoopid?... Yeah, I know we need to tie over the JJ fans, but couldn't they get Ben Harper for that? (Also, I'd like to apologize on behalf of San Diego for ever producing music as utterly, undeniable shit as Slightly Stoopid...)

KRAFTWERK - I missed one set of robots at Coachella, and I am damn sure not going to miss the other. The idea of Death Cab leading into Portishead leading into Kraftwerk fills me with more excitement than ANYTHING else on the poster this year! I definitely feel confident that, yet again, EDM has saved Coachella.

Madness - Woah x2. Even better... But it's got me to think that... With Gogol Returning, Battles and Animal Collective on the same day, and Portishead headlining, that Paul Tollett is secretly in cahoots with... NONE OTHER THAN RAGE PATTON. *insert dramatic chipmunk*

Love and Rockets - Out of left field, really, and, despite being controversially the "biggest" reunion this year, will rock the house. Besides, David J is one of the coolest bassists ever.

I've so far pegged 26 (now 27 with MGMT) acts that I want to see. I definitely feel that Friday and Sunday are going to see some adds (PJ Harvey for Friday, please for the love of god?), and that the festival in of itself is going to be great.

I just honestly hope Jersechella tanks. It wont, but I hate that bastard child of a festival more than I hate Jack White. It's nothing more than a cop out on the people who helped make Goldenvoice a concert promoting force to be reckoned with; the Coachella attendees. I definitely feel betrayed this year, especially with talks of My Bloody Valentine and Radiohead headlining Capitalistchella. Just because it works on the west coast doesn't mean that there ought to be Coachella's everywhere, especially in New York (New York, New Jersey, same difference) who blew their chance at housing festivals with Woodstock 99's disaster...

Anyway, I'm done bitching, so tear apart my post to pieces! Meanwhile, I'm going to start listening to obscure bands that're playing this year that I've never fucking heard of!!!
    WHY START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT YOUR OPINION OF THE LINEUP?????

THERE ARE A MILLION OTHER THREADS ON THIS SAME TOPIC!!!

THE ONLY REASON I AM SAYING THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS BITCH LIKE A LITTLE BITCH ABOUT THIS SAME THING!!!!

DON'T BE A FUKING HYPOCRITE!!!!

OH, AND DON'T TELL ME TO STOP YELLING!!!!

Aw, thankie.

I'm just waiting to be torn to shreds over my "I hope Jersechella dies" comment, that's all.
    i agree.
    didn't paul tollet say something along the lines of it "being hard to book good headliners with so many festivals flooding the market"?

why make another to "flood the market"?
    I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    WHY START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT YOUR OPINION OF THE LINEUP?????

THERE ARE A MILLION OTHER THREADS ON THIS SAME TOPIC!!!

THE ONLY REASON I AM SAYING THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS BITCH LIKE A LITTLE BITCH ABOUT THIS SAME THING!!!!

DON'T BE A FUKING HYPOCRITE!!!!

OH, AND DON'T TELL ME TO STOP YELLING!!!!
    Upcoming Shows:

dumb fuck, i was mocking you

Really? Because that was a shit job mocking me. You forgot to call me a cunt, et. all.
    Upcoming Shows:

smart ass, you always bitch about people starting unnecessary threads. i could care less about duplicate threads, but you make a big deal out of it. the point is, you're being a hypocrite.

Okay, I can live with that. Now, the million dollar question is, can YOU live with the fact that I can live comfortably with that?
    Upcoming Shows:

Sure. These are are the Internets, the Home of b.s. threads and pointless conversations. That's why we're all here.

Awesome. Wanna keep this up?
    Upcoming Shows:

you ask where the money is going to, i have one answer...

Kickass robots for Kraftwerk. i have a feeling it will be amazingly epic

They are saving to bring the submarine for Aphex on 2009.

It's easy to be angry about so many things (poor headliners, lacking 2nd/3rd tier acts, no pre-sale, etc.), and the boards are flooded. I really appreciate and respect what you posted, and I think that your comments are mostly spot-on.

While JJ deservedly catches the heat, I have become indifferent about additions: (1.) it's up to GV to sign someone and (2.) it will enable me to be somewhere else (either another stage or feeling less guilty about beating the rush to the parking lot).

However, I do hope that they add some quality 2nd/3rd level acts. It will make the lineup stronger, despite the headliner issues. With so many speculated artists out there, I think that the opportunities are wide open for GV to overcome the initial backlash.

In addition to the usual costs, this year, I convinced five friends to book flights, a condo, and a rental car. In addition, we hired someone to watch our daughter, so my wife can attend too (she usually sacrifices so I can go).

For most people, it's a special event and requires a financial commitment, which I think adds to the anger and disappointment. I don't post as much (comparatively), but I am a Coachella loyalist. I hope that GV pulls through and adds some mid-top level talent to the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Awesome. Wanna keep this up?
    sure, should we turn this into a picture thread??

Hola! Welcome back!
    I agree with your original post.
    I have to admit I was a little upset with the
    lineup. So I went ahead and reserved a hotel
    for Jersechella.
    Me thinks GV has prob. put lots more thought and energy
    into his new venture.
    You thinking about heading out east?

I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Hold on just a goldurned minute here!Something just occurred to me.
    Passive Theory got "banned" so conveniently,just in time for Paul Tollett's press conference in Mexico City to take place.
    While he was banned,a replica took his place named PT Clone.Could this have been another clone of the original "PT"?
    In the press conference Paul Tollett sounded about 19 years old.
    He also talked enthusiastically about robots.
    Conclusion:
    Passive Theory is actually a robot clone of Paul Tollett sent back from the future to educate us about EDM and Maroon 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

Oh yeah,and remember how hard "Paul Tollett" tried to get The Smiths a few years back?
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    Hold on just a goldurned minute here!Something just occurred to me.
    Passive Theory got "banned" so conveniently,just in time for Paul Tollett's press conference in Mexico City to take place.
    While he was banned,a replica took his place named PT Clone.Could this have been another clone of the original "PT"?
    In the press conference Paul Tollett sounded about 19 years old.
    He also talked enthusiastically about robots.
    Conclusion:
    Passive Theory is actually a robot clone of Paul Tollett sent back from the future to educate us about EDM and Maroon 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

it is just something about that mojave tent that gives me music for following months and months after coachella... i can't believe how much i enjoyed black keys last year of wolfmother the year before last year.....

hands down to arcade fire in previous editions.... what can i say about that legendary night at the sahara tent with daft punk.... damn! i'll never forget that...

i definitely cant wait to star digging into all that "small acts" mentioned by PassiveT.. the line up every year it tends to grow more and more for me as the date aproaches so...

i think i've grown some good confidence on the organizers, so if this guy sounds excited about robots on Kraftwerk and making it big for the dark side of the moon, IM DEFINITELY FCKN THERE THIS YEAR!

salud!

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Totally right on about not alot of 3rd line, Damien Rice, Placebo, Air, SilversunPickups, TV on the Radio, Beck (ok i'm sure he'll be there , always is) acts yet. Hopefully many more cool names will be added, we got 3 months. MBV (Ride reunion too please) in NY but not here would hurt. Also, doesn't seem to be alot of Rage/Tool or otherwise out of place nonsense. Kayne and the Mainstream Douches or whatever he tours with won't be there, for him to come on when he feels like it, while he bumps bloody Sigur Ros, who only came from, oh I don't know, Iceland.

I'm sure they'll add a few more strong acts.
    Last edited by Hawkings; 01-22-2008 at 09:48 PM.

I really liked reading your post - it's well written and thought out. It's nice to read what someone thinks after checking things out and contemplating a little, instead of just a bunch of immature bashing.

Props

Oh trust me... I definitely had my fair share of "JACK JOHNSON SUCKS" IMs between other people... Those poor people...

To answer your question, goodgrl, no, I can't afford to go back east. In fact, if my rough estimations are right, Coachella this year will leave me with 200$ to my name for the rest of the school year. I'm going to get another job so I can save up for Lollapalooza or ACL this year, but I'm basically boycotting Jersechella like the bastard step-child it is.

As for Breakjaw's conspiracy theory... Well, it's not any less cockamamie than my idea that Rage Patton is behind the lineup this year... Bwahahaha.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    sure, should we turn this into a picture thread??
    How the fuck are you the same age as me?

Good Post, PT.. I've analyzed the shit out of this lineup myself..

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13