Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an open letter to golden voice

Default an open letter to golden voice

Hey Folks,
    I have been very greatful for all the fantastic shows you've brought us over the past several years. The Coachella Art & Music Festival is clean, fun, and definately well-run. My hats off to you. However, that being said, what were you thinking when you signed this year's headliners? Jack Johnson for Coachella? For Coachella?! Unless you got him for some helluva cheap price, I can not imagine--out of all the acts out there that are most likely available, even still available, [I]like R.E.M.,[I]--and you go for Jack Johnson? What's up with that? Please help me understand. I'm not trying to be a smarta--. I'd truly like to know. It boggles the mind. Portished? Great band. Glad they're coming. But they're not headline material. Roger Waters? Well, granted, he was IN Pink Floyd but Roger Waters IS NOT Pink Floyd. I wouldn't even call him a legend. Pink Floyd a legend, yes. But Roger Waters? No way. Now, there are some who will argue that Coachella is not about the headliners. Well, okay. But let me share something with you: I just got a phone call a few hours ago from my buddies in Seattle. Guess what? They're not coming to Coachella this year. Why? Wimpy line-up coupled with a screwy economy that's forcing them to tighten their financial budgets a little. Did you see the stock market (in the U.S.) today? We're in trouble. As people lose their homes, their jobs, etc. and have to tighten their belts this year, the "extras" will have to go--like Coachella. So, what are you gonna do to convince people like my buddies from Seattle to hop on that plane and fly down here for the festival when money's so tight? Answer: You got to make the festival worth their while, especially a year like this one. You see, they can stay in Seattle and see quite a few up-and-coming bands for ten dollars or so a pop....in much smaller venues, no less. Now, we're just talking 4 of my buddies, but from the looks of some of the threads posted here today, I've got this very strange feeling there's lots of people out there not too pleased with this year's overall line-up. Couple that with a bad U.S. economy and......just thinking out loud. I sure hope those "tricks" you talked about at the news conference work. If you're not going to beef-up the festival, maybe a cut in ticket pricing is in order.............but why listen to me? I'm just an idiot who helped book The Talking Heads during their "Fear Of Music" tour at a Big Ten university back in the day, and lost his a--. In conclusion, I love the festival, and I've went every year since inception, bought the DVD, etc. I plan on going this year even though my buddies aren't coming down for it. However, I'd be stretching the truth to say none of it matters. Put me in the catagory of the people who are attending Coachella this year out of habit, and not because of the line-up.

Default Re: an open letter to golden voice

This is the real reason we got such a mediocre line up this year.

Paul and his Coachella executives have decided that 2 Coachella festivals are better than one festival.. I'm sure they took the cream of the crop from what they had to choose from, and sent most of it over to their NYchella festival.. They know that most people will attend Coachella West despite them offering a mediocre product.. The brand name alone will carry them through this shite 08 line-up, while they pump all their capital into the NYchella to get it up and running.
    Maybe it's just a down year for Coachella ?? It happens..
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

whatever stop crying. its not the end of the world. there's far worse things going on right now than not having your favorite band playing at a festival.

if you're still going to coachella this year you should stop bashing the lineup and everything about it cause nothing is going to change- and if you're not going to coachella, you should stop wasting your time the message boards

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    Hey Folks,
    I have been very greatful for all the fantastic shows you've brought us over the past several years. The Coachella Art & Music Festival is clean, fun, and definately well-run. My hats off to you. However, that being said, what were you thinking when you signed this year's headliners? Jack Johnson for Coachella? For Coachella?! Unless you got him for some helluva cheap price, I can not imagine--out of all the acts out there that are most likely available, even still available, [I]like R.E.M.,[I]--and you go for Jack Johnson? What's up with that? Please help me understand. I'm not trying to be a smarta--. I'd truly like to know. It boggles the mind. Portished? Great band. Glad they're coming. But they're not headline material. Roger Waters? Well, granted, he was IN Pink Floyd but Roger Waters IS NOT Pink Floyd. I wouldn't even call him a legend. Pink Floyd a legend, yes. But Roger Waters? No way. Now, there are some who will argue that Coachella is not about the headliners. Well, okay. But let me share something with you: I just got a phone call a few hours ago from my buddies in Seattle. Guess what? They're not coming to Coachella this year. Why? Wimpy line-up coupled with a screwy economy that's forcing them to tighten their financial budgets a little. Did you see the stock market (in the U.S.) today? We're in trouble. As people lose their homes, their jobs, etc. and have to tighten their belts this year, the "extras" will have to go--like Coachella. So, what are you gonna do to convince people like my buddies from Seattle to hop on that plane and fly down here for the festival when money's so tight? Answer: You got to make the festival worth their while, especially a year like this one. You see, they can stay in Seattle and see quite a few up-and-coming bands for ten dollars or so a pop....in much smaller venues, no less. Now, we're just talking 4 of my buddies, but from the looks of some of the threads posted here today, I've got this very strange feeling there's lots of people out there not too pleased with this year's overall line-up. Couple that with a bad U.S. economy and......just thinking out loud. I sure hope those "tricks" you talked about at the news conference work. If you're not going to beef-up the festival, maybe a cut in ticket pricing is in order.............but why listen to me? I'm just an idiot who helped book The Talking Heads during their "Fear Of Music" tour at a Big Ten university back in the day, and lost his a--. In conclusion, I love the festival, and I've went every year since inception, bought the DVD, etc. I plan on going this year even though my buddies aren't coming down for it. However, I'd be stretching the truth to say none of it matters. Put me in the catagory of the people who are attending Coachella this year out of habit, and not because of the line-up.
    u wrote alot
    I Wanna Drive Into The Sunset

Coachella 2007
    Coachella 2008
    Coachella 2009
    Coachella 2010
    The Big 4 2011
    Coachella 2012 ( I WONT FUCKING MISS IT! )

And didn't use paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by joppy-slow View Post
    This is the real reason we got such a mediocre line up this year.

Paul and his Coachella executives have decided that 2 Coachella festivals are better than one festival.. I'm sure they took the cream of the crop from what they had to choose from, and sent most of it over to their NYchella festival.. They know that most people will attend Coachella West despite them offering a mediocre product.. The brand name alone will carry them through this shite 08 line-up, while they pump all their capital into the NYchella to get it up and running.
    Maybe it's just a down year for Coachella ?? It happens..
    That or they are saving for a mindblowing lineup next year for the 10th anniversary.

God I hope so.

regardless of the lineup. i'm still going to coachella (for the first time). if golden voice wants to add the meat puppets to the lineup, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. ; )

If I were to write an open letter to Goldenvoice it would go liek this:

Dear Goldenvoice,

I would greatly appritiate that when you are making the scedule this year that Rgoer Waters and Justice do not conflict.

Yours Truly
    jonnypark
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJesus28 View Post
    Paul Tollett do something!
    Daddy P! Help

dear goldenvoice,

sup

yours truly

monsoon
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Did you see the stock market (in the U.S.) today? We're in trouble. As people lose their homes, their jobs, etc. and have to tighten their belts this year, the "extras" will have to go--
    Haven't any of you thought of the fact that they KNOW the economy is bad, and they EXPECT to have fewer people this year, no matter who they book?

I would expect they are just trying to cut their potential losses. Still doesn't excuse putting Jack on the top line, but it explains the lack of the WOW factor.

"Roger Ramjet, he's our man...hero of our nation...for his adventures just be sure to stay tuned to this station!"

tl;dr
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Haven't any of you thought of the fact that they KNOW the economy is bad, and they EXPECT to have fewer people this year, no matter who they book?

I would expect they are just trying to cut their potential losses. Still doesn't excuse putting Jack on the top line, but it explains the lack of the WOW factor.

"Roger Ramjet, he's our man...hero of our nation...for his adventures just be sure to stay tuned to this station!"
    I think My Bloody Valentine fans would have found the money
    Daddy P! Help

okay, so ihave already posted this question in the "questions" section...doesn't seem to be gettingmuch attention though....

do we know if radiohead were even asked to play?... i mean it is one thing to say that they were and they declined.......but if they were passed up for these bands, and not even persued.....well, thats just disappointing......i don't want to hear that they are being saved for the east coast... thats nonsense...or at least it isn't a legit excuse.....they could do both.....they are arguably the biggest band in the world right now.

i also know a few fereinds that were ready to buy plane tickets from NY.....they decided to wait until the line-up was released.... i wasn't as smart.....so, i'll be attending...making my first coachella trip....i know it will be fun, especially with the camping.....i justy can't stand looking at all the previous years Headliners compared to this......definitely wish i would have waited.
    aaaaaahhhgagagagagagagagoooooooo

i hate your signature
    Daddy P! Help

GV knows that coachella is sold out and thats why they dont care about making shitty lineups and the people who says "i know the lineup sucks but im going anyway" this attitude helps GV to get shitty lineups, all we need to do is not going when the lineup sucks!! and then GV will get better bands to get the people again

haha well ill just go on friday for the verve, but before the release of the lineup i was thinking about going two days

aww... why (jonnypark)?

but what about his friends in Seattle

I can't think of any one reason to tell the truth
    don't get me wrong though I have no problem with you as a poster
    Daddy P! Help

is that an "Air Force One" quote?... i am picturing Harrison Ford.....

Wink Re: an open letter to golden voice

DESPITE the economic situation, I wonder why those who assemble this group of musicians, artists what have you only to comprimise the integrity of the most forward looking music festival in the states for fear of loosing dollars I think not! Im still trying to figure the lineup out myself. Trying to mellow the crowd I guess? Also, I think Jack johnson was added to compliment those who come to see Roger Waters.
    Upcoming Shows

Budgetchella Here I come!

Rodger I agree with you. I also agree with the post below, which says Goldenvoice has been using the profits they receive from the past couple of Coachellas to fund other festivals. First Stagecoach, now East Coast Coachella, which will probably have a better lineup than Coachella does. I didn't really notice too much of a drop in quality last year when Stagecoach was announced, but this year, the lack of quality is definitely noticeable.

We all like the up and coming bands, and I agree that discovering smaller acts are one of the best things about Coachella, but to basically just fill up the festival with them, and put no big name on the top of the bill? Cmon. I bet some of the smaller "myspace" bands would even play Coachella for free! I know I would if I was in a small band.

This is messed up and I want an explanation from the promoter. They are no different from any other company, and other companies address the customers when the customers are not happy with the product / service etc. Goldenvoice has been totally silent on all this, and I want a fucking response!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnypark View Post
    I think My Bloody Valentine fans would have found the money
    Not all 60,000 people would be there to see MBV. Not even half. And a good chunk of people who would be excited for MBV are going to go regardless. And that's just one day.

I'm probably not going this year...if I do it might only be one day. Has nothing to do with the lineup. I actually really want to go. And I COULD pay for it...what's another $1,000 of debt, right? Actually, my tax refund would probably pay for it. But I've got another expensive trip already planned this year, and my wife and I have agreed to cut back on non-necessities. There's no single band that would change that. Actually, even adding 20 bands I love wouldn't change that, it would just make it harder to decide which day to go.

And I know a lot of people are in far worse financial shape than me.

If attendance is down 10%, that's 1.6 million dollars.

I'm guessing money wasn't the issue with MBV anyway. A bigger budget does equal a better lineup, but you can't buy something that's not for sale. If MBV was willing, they would have dropped a few other smaller names to pay for it. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I'm more upset about ticket price increases than the line up itself. I'll admit, I'm one of those people who don't care too much about whose headlining, (although Jack Johnson is a fecking joke). I always save up all year, but this year, things are rougher, and I'll be siphering some of my scholarship money into this. Call it my music education if you will. But really, price increases and weak line up? Not a good combo, especially with the lack of a real presale.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    tomato soup looks and tastes like vegetable menstruation.

Hey Folks,
    I agree with you. I don't realy think that this years line-up deserves to be three days. The line-up is not strong enough. Oh, I'll still go, but maybe just for the fri & sat show. Sun. show is realy bad!!! I would actually only want to see two acts. I will be attending the shows by myself this year, but that only means more drugs for me.

couldnt agree with the first two posts more. very objective.

its not about jack johnsons its about a poor line up as a result of the push west and selling the coachella brand name.

Really, folks. Look at 2005 and then at this years lineup. Has the quality really gotten worse? Methinks you forget.

I'm calling this an "OFF YEAR"

Last year was too good. The only way left to go is down.

They need to add Friday's lineup with Sunday's and just get rid of Jack Johnson altogether.

I'd actually buy that ticket tomorrow.