Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Lips

Default Black Lips

ok, I was reading up on my coachella unknowns.. and this was weird about Black lips.

The Black Lips have a reputation for crazy live shows that have included vomiting, urinating, nudity, band members kissing, fireworks, and a chicken.
    anybody ever seen'em live?

Default Re: Black Lips

god damn. add that to the must see list.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

I've seen them a few times, I was even on stage once for an assignment. They used to do a lot of crazy stuff pretty much to get some kind of attention and because they weren't that good back then. But they've played so much over the years that they got good and pretty much stopped when they signed on to Vice. Crazy antics are guaranteed though-penises, band members making out, etc. It's all part of the Black Lips experience but it shouldn't over shadow their amazing music.

Oh yes...the Black Lips. I'm from Atlanta and have seen em a few times and yes it's true. We're pretty dirty here if you haven't heard. They are hit and miss with the antics these days but I'm sure it will be HIT for Coachella. You won't want to miss 'em.

Seen them 5 times, gonna be 6 in February, and Coachella will make 7. My favorite new rock band. Met them all and they are nice and funny as shit. It's gonna be a party! Ya, expect to see dick, make-out sessions, and if were lucky, piss or vomit. Check out their album Let It Bloom or just youtube em.

i saw them last night at the glass house, incredible. and i just got back from seeing a free show at active ride shop in costa mesa. that was honestly such an incredible show, they played for a good 40 minutes too. they were taking lots of requests as well. can't wait to see them tonight at the detroit bar and tuesday at the el rey. definitely a must see act at coachella.

Coachella will be my first time seeing them, and I'm looking forward to it.

oo shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt this guys are awesome!

i just discovered them and i'm really into it....

check this out, i can't wait to see them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3eoW5EWeA

Quote Originally Posted by sadsappysucker View Post
    i saw them last night at the glass house, incredible. and i just got back from seeing a free show at active ride shop in costa mesa. that was honestly such an incredible show, they played for a good 40 minutes too. they were taking lots of requests as well. can't wait to see them tonight at the detroit bar and tuesday at the el rey. definitely a must see act at coachella.
    no effin way!!!!!!! i go to school in merced, but grew up in garden grove. i cant believe they played that many times in socal! april will be my first Black Lips show. i never heard this about their shows, but love their music. i wont be expecting penis though, coachella is all ages.

i also found out there's no THE in their name. its just Black Lips.
    personally, coachella would be better if another set of lips were to headline, flaming ones to be exact!

A couple of months ago I went to the record store looking for a record from Black Kids after hearing a track from them on the radio (KEXP in Seattle). I couldn't find the Black Kids in the store so I asked at the desk and specifically said, "The band is called Black Kids, it doesn't feel like it should be a band name but I swear that's what the DJ said." After a significant period of convicted dialogue, the record store guy and his pals convinced me that I was actually seeking the Black Lips.

Sixty seconds into my first listen I realized I had been swindled. Swindled is the right word for that moment in my car when I was expecting Black Kids (if you've heard them and the Black Lips you will understand why this was such a shocking disconnect) however the record has grown on me since then.

Reading about the shows in the past months has grown my intrigue. My biggest fear is that they come on too early in the day. Despite my best efforts I never seem to make it in the door before 2:30 or 3:00.

In other news, if you haven't heard the Black Kids I would highly recommend checking them out either on record or at Coachella.

I saw them on Friday night at The Great American Music Hall in S.F. The were great, can't wait for the Coachella show!

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    no effin way!!!!!!! i go to school in merced, but grew up in garden grove. i cant believe they played that many times in socal! april will be my first Black Lips show. i never heard this about their shows, but love their music. i wont be expecting penis though, coachella is all ages.

haha yeah i don't think they show penis anymore. i remember seeing pictures of them playing in like 2003 and their singer had his pants and undies completely off, and his guitar strap set to where his guitar rested above his pubic region. while he was flashing the crowd there was some random guy butt naked shooting a fire extinguisher. AMAZING.

Memorial_07

Maybe they were mistaken for G.G. Allin.
    But I'm interested now.

i just logged in to say the black lips are the sh***t

you all should check the live album 'Los Valientes del Nuevo Mundo'
    live performance on Tijuana.... I just discovered them 3 days ago and they are my top must see at the moment ....

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    Maybe they were mistaken for G.G. Allin.
    But I'm interested now.
    HAHAHA FUCK GG ALLIN!

i will definitely be checking out eh Black Lips though

Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    HAHAHA FUCK GG ALLIN!

i will definitely be checking out eh Black Lips though

That picture is fuckin' brutal.
    Wow.

wtf is that?

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by BeHereNOW View Post
    wtf is that?
    g.g. allin

Did anybody here go see them at the Glass House Saturday or in Costa Mesa Sunday?

haha sounds like fun.. check out the GG ALLIN "hated" dvd, GG might have one up on the Black Lips

hah i dont think anyone can top GG Allin's antics
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Black Lips are one of my must see's. Go to their myspace page and watch the video of them in Mexico and then tell me your gonna miss their show....EPIC.

Quote Originally Posted by stewboss View Post
    Sixty seconds into my first listen I realized I had been swindled. Swindled is the right word for that moment in my car when I was expecting Black Kids (if you've heard them and the Black Lips you will understand why this was such a shocking disconnect) however the record has grown on me since then.
    hahaha oh man

yes

that would be a shock
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    HAHAHA FUCK GG ALLIN!
    Go listen to sublime...

GG Allin is fucking nuts. Wasn't he going to kill himself on stage?

yeah and on halloween and in front of cops and blah blah blah

gg allin talked a lot of shit but couldn't produce
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

The cops shut that show down after like 5 minutes so he didn't get the chance I think he od'd later that night though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    theres nothing gay about snowballing...

He was supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by evilmushroompie View Post
    Did anybody here go see them at the Glass House Saturday or in Costa Mesa Sunday?

yeah, both. and at the detroit bar. amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sadsappysucker View Post
    yeah, both. and at the detroit bar. amazing.
    Ya, they were great. I couldn't get into the Detroit Bar though, ain't 21 yet.