Page 1 of 44 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: BMOTW:???

Default BMOTW:???

Board Member of the Week...
    Nominations?

I nominate zzz.
    -----------------------

Default Re: BMOTW:???

I vote Brad, because he has compiled a comprehensive list of acts that are, in fact, confirmed. Or at least, should be confirmed when we get the lineup.

Wasn't Brad BMOTW a couple weeks ago?
    -----------------------

i nominate nothingman

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Somebody second me, dammit.
    -----------------------

I'll second you. Now I'm going to bed.

I'll start:
    1)Desert Album-Sorry, i have a tie with 4. (I'd drown myself if I didn't get to bring each of these to the island).
    a)Miles Davis- Bitches Brew
    b)Neutral Milk Hotel- On Avery Island
    c)The Doors-The Doors
    d)Ryan Adams-Love is Hell (bring it on bitches) "It's not even his best album... Ryan Adams... Blah,blah,blah"... Seriously, bring it on.

2)Desert Book-'Big Sur" by Kerouac

Honorable mention: "the Curse of Lono" by Hunter S. Thompson, "Journey to the End of the Night" by Celine, "The Ginger Man" by J.P. Donleavy, the complete works of Arthur Rimbaud. Oh shitty, and "The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" or "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis.

Note: If my house were to burn down, I'd save my books before my records and CD's...

Area of expertise: sadly, I can probably answer anything pertaining to street drugs (including pharmies). Strange kid back in the day... Also, and probably more appropriate, i think I can claim semi-expert status on Kerouac and Hunter Thompson. And longwindedness.
    -----------------------

How does it feel to finally get your way?

If you could have one band/artist dead or alive to play coachella, who would it be and why?

What's your favorite Fanta flavor?

Who's playing the super bowl?

If you had to kill and eat a fellow human being in order to survive and had the choice to either deep fry, bake, boil or grill them which one would it be and why?

You're right, nothingman. It's not even close to his best album.

I haven't really followed Ryan Adams post-Whiskeytown, but I do really like "Stranger's Almanac" by them. What is your opinion on that one?

Congrats on being BMOTW! (by the way, I was BMOTW back in November I think, but thanks for the nomination).

What are the essential works I should read by Hunter S. Thompson? I haven't read anything yet, but I sure would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    I haven't really followed Ryan Adams post-Whiskeytown, but I do really like "Stranger's Almanac" by them. What is your opinion on that one?
    I like Stranger's Almanac a lot. I think Pneumonia is better but that's an invitation to Yablo to try to kick my ass. Those two, plus the solos Heartbreaker and Gold, are his best work. IMO. got that yablo? I.M.O.

it's 1974... duh duh duh daddadadad it's when i was born duh dudh duh dadadaddada in 1974 ...duh duh duh dadadadad

Earth to Tom: I love Pneumonia, but my favorite track is your least favorite track - "What the Devil Wanted." "Paper Moon" is also just fucking fantastic. Remember this discussion?

However, I do prefer Strangers Almanac to Pneumonia, by a little bit. They're fairly comparable though like Lucinda Williams' last THREE albums. And these are facts, not opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    Earth to Tom

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

what's your favourite article in "the great shark hunt"?

(meins the kentucky derby)
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Lucinda William's albums, ranked best to not best, with year:

1. Car Wheels (1998)
    2. Lucinda Williams (1988)
    3. Sweet Old World (1992)
    4. Essence (2001)
    5. Happy Woman Blues (1980)
    6. Rambin' (1978)
    7. Live at the Fillmore (2005)
    8. World Without Tears (2003)

none of these are bad. #7 and #8 are a little boring is all.

And this is gospel, not opinion.

i respect anyone who recognizes the Greatness that is Kerouac.

that's why York will always to be dead to me.

I'm diggin' that shame smiley.

I'll answer all questions later. Errand running. Peace.
    -----------------------

You missed the "childhood pet" question. Unless books are your pets?

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    How does it feel to finally get your way?

It feels good... Nice and contrived, but good.

If you could have one band/artist dead or alive to play coachella, who would it be and why?

The Doors (pre "Morrison is a clown era)---The Clash would be a close second, Velvet Underground a close third (w/ Nico of couse)

What's your favorite Fanta flavor?

I don't drink many things that don't have alcohol in them (except tons of water). Never had Fanta, don't drink sodas/colas/cokes/etc/. So whatever flavor of Fanta tastes best with Vodka, I guess.

Who's playing the super bowl?

Pats and Bears. Pats win 21-17.

If you had to kill and eat a fellow human being in order to survive and had the choice to either deep fry, bake, boil or grill them which one would it be and why?
    Great question (I hope you reside in a penitentiary). Assuming I had a marinade and the body was well preserved so the meat wasn't bad, I'd probably grill Yablo (or whoever else I decided to eat). Maybe a mesquite-honey BBQ sauce and some Soy sauce, slow grilled at about 350 degrees (after searing) until, say, medium well. Normally, I eat my meats medium-rare, but if I was eating a person, I think I'd go that extra mile.

P.S. the answers to several of your questions are in the quoted text. I'm too lazy to do it the right way.
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    I like the Whiskeytown stuff just fine. Don't get me wrong. Again, there is a boot of "16 days" from a 6-10-05 Adams show that just kills me. I agree with Yablo that "What the devil Wanted" is fantastic. Overall, I prefer Stranger's Almanac though. "Waiting to Derail", "Houses on a Hill" and "Dancing with the Women at the Bar" (fukking awesome song") being three favorites off that album. I also like "Midway Park" off Faithless Street, though its definitely inferior to the other two. As for Ryan Adams solo...

I could probably give you a typical nothingman rant about why "Love is Hell (Pts 1 &2 combined)" is by far his best solo stuff. But I'll save that for another day. here is my ranking of the Ryan Adams solo albums and my 3 top tracks from each:
    1)Love is Hell (the entire album from start to finish, but "shadowlands", "English Girls Approximately" and "My Blue Manhattan" are three that are just a tad better than everything else...
    2)Heartbreaker ("Damn, Sam, I love a woman that rains", "call me on your way back home", and "To be Young...")
    3)Gold-the peaks are great, the rest is just OK--"Stars Go Blue", "Sylvia Plath", "Nobody Girl" then "Harder Now that's it's Over"
    4)Cold Roses-"Magnolia Mountain", "Mockingbird Song", "Meadowlake Street"--though I love the entire album with its Dead homage feel. In fact, move this to 3 and Gold to 4.
    5) "29"- "Strawberry Wine", "Blue Sky Blues", "Night Birds"--damn, I hate leaving off "Elizabeth, you were born to play that part".
    6) Rock N Roll-"Rock N Roll" and "Anybody want to take me home". The rest of that album is mediocre, at best. Maybe "Do Miss America" or "so Alive"...
    7) Jacksonville City Nights- the most critically aclaimed of all post-Heartbreaker albums finds itself at seven on my list. I don't even want to describe the disappointment this album brought me. It was supposed to be a "return" to Heartbreaker but it just plain sucks. At least the critics loved it.
    8_Demolition-THIS ALBUM WAS NEVER MADE. DO YOU HEAR ME? NEVER MADE. Glad we got that settled.

Well, turned into a typical nothingman rant anyway... Sorry. Any more Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown questions/disagreements?
    -----------------------

Nothingman - People have told me that my taint is a little "gamey." So, watch out for that part.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Congrats on being BMOTW! (by the way, I was BMOTW back in November I think, but thanks for the nomination).

What are the essential works I should read by Hunter S. Thompson? I haven't read anything yet, but I sure would like to.
    The Curse of Lono is probably his best work, though somewhat difficult to find. Also, the volumes of his correspondence are fascinating. Especially the period where he was writing about the Hell's Angels/Kesey/etc. "The Great Shark Hunt" is a great collection of articles that were published in the 70's. And, chairman meow, I think "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved", and the Super Bowl piece are amongst my two faves from that book, though a lot of the McGovern articles are great, too. Plus, you get to see the original article that later became "Fear and Loathing in L.V." Oh, and the Freak Power in the Rockies piece is funny as hell, especially HST's platform for sheriff. I mean, so much is made of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and for good reason. I just think that "Lono", the article compilations, aka "The Gonzo Papers" (I believe there were 3 volumes, but maybe only 2), and the correspondence compilations (again, I believe there were three, but maybe only two--the earlier stuff is the best because he doesn't yet have to live up to the public perception of himself, which he eventually created and milked). I've always thought HST was a better writer than novelist, if that makes sense.

P.S. can't wait for the "Who Killed Hunter Thompson" book to come out later this month. Also, if you can find a copy of "Polo is My Life"---long rumored to be the funniest HST book/article according to friends and family, but never published, then congrats (and hook me up).
    -----------------------

is there a retching smiley?

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    i respect anyone who recognizes the Greatness that is Kerouac.

that's why York will always to be dead to me.
    Kerouac probably influenced the way I look at life more than anyone else, including my parents, friends, wife.

I did the extended European backpacking trip in college and didn't need to take anything with me besides "Desolation Angels", "Big Sur" and "The Dharma Bums"--though I also brought along "The Subterraneans" for kicks... I discovered Kerouac in late high school (1996 or so) and immediately felt connected. He was the saddest, yet most content writer... He loved life, even though he knew that life is suffering and pain. I don't think anyone put such similar thoughts down in such an eloquent way. And, I'll say it again... The last paragraph of "On the Road" is probably the most beautiful paragraph in all of fiction. Definitely, my favorite paragraph. Completely closes the chapter and book beautifully.

Again, in the event of a fire taking my house down, I'd get my wife, baby (soon), and cats out first. Next would be books and guitars, even before CD's and records. Especially the 1st editions of On the Road and Big Sur...
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    Nothingman - People have told me that my taint is a little "gamey." So, watch out for that part.
    I lol'd

Lama, childhood pet. I completely forgot...

We had a cat named Pete when i was growing up. He was a "Maine Coon" tomcat that came up to our back door when i lived in Arkansas and i was about 3-4 years old. My dad thought he was an old cat and would kindly tell me that Pete probably wouldn't be with us long because he was so old. At that time, he would climb trees and make about a 4 foot jump from the trees to our roof, right outside my parents bedroom. My dad would say "Pete has landed" and they'd let him in through the window. Anyway, we (my parents) moved to St. Louis, San Antonio, Dallas, back to St. Louis and finally back to San Antonio and Pete made every trip with us. We called him "The Elderly Gentleman" because he was, at this time, most definitely quite old. He was great. He died in 2000 (the day before I left to go to backpaking Europe). He had lived with us for 19 years or so, and my dad had thought he was about 14-15 when he first approached us. I think my dad cried more when Pete died than he did when his own father passed away.
    -----------------------

Yablo, I laughed at the taint comment myself. I'd stay away from your taint (and surrounding areas) and any part of your body that that Fall Out Boy T-shirt touched.
    -----------------------