Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Americans: Still considering travelling after seeing the line-up?

Default Re: Non-Americans: Still considering travelling after seeing the line-up?

its a sad day, no way it is worth the 12 hour trip and the expenses for me and my friends, forget the insult of a headliner that is jack j. the lineup is with a few exceptions weak and a shitload of good bands "that you would think would be there" are missing, a sad fucking day, we've had great times coachella but you've changed man you've changed....

Default Re: Non-Americans: Still considering travelling after seeing the line-up?

no im not new i atended coachella 06 and even doe i wanted to be there for 07 couldnt make it but still lots of great acts are going to be there i was there when daft punk played they blew my mind but i dont want every year to be like the one i atended or like the year before this one (07) just diferent and enjoyable and thats what this year is all about if you people made a little research youll see that there is a good amount of good bands and dj's

Quote Originally Posted by victor831 View Post
    its a sad day, no way it is worth the 12 hour trip and the expenses for me and my friends, forget the insult of a headliner that is jack j. the lineup is with a few exceptions weak and a shitload of good bands "that you would think would be there" are missing, a sad fucking day, we've had great times coachella but you've changed man you've changed....
    yeah.. after my friends saw the line-up we bagged our trip from SLC. I just released my room at the Marriot if anyone is looking for a room, act fast..

If I lived in L.A. I would for sure be buying tickets to Coachella this year.. But the only acts that grab me are Deadmau5, Diplo, BookaShade, Calvin Harris, A-Track (he is amazing) and Roger Waters.. Not worth traveling and spending over a few grand for this years line-up..

I agree with someone who said the festival market is getting over saturated in the U.S.A. It clearly shows with the weak headliners at Coachella this year. I guess every year can't be as epic as the last. But the good news is, their are a few other festivals that will probably be better than Coachella this year.. Traveling to NY for Coachella's other festival would be hella fun.. Maybe try out Bonarroo this year for a new take. Anyway, long live Coachella.. and have fun.. im out.
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

I should not have bought my ticket before the lineup was released...it's my own fault. But there was a really good deal on flights and past lineups are fantastic!

So yeah, i'm going and it's gonna be fun whatever...just a tiny bit of me is still disappointed
    Knocking you out like Rocky Balboa
    Drown you in a flood deeper than Noah...

you guys are retards, the lineup is good for the most part. im flying across the country.

I'm from Calgary (36 hour drive). My friends (who have come 3 or 4 times now) have all bailed after seeing that poster. Hugely disappointment all around.

I'm probably still coming, just because I look so forward to it all winter. There are some decent bands, but I'm not super excited anymore.

i will not be travelling all that way for this terrible line up

We'll miss you.

Actually, most of my non-american friends also bailed after this initial lineup. Oh well..

I'll be there.

I'm not in the "Non-American" category, but in '05 and '06 I flew from New York City with some friends to Coachella and had the time of my life. I couldn't make it in '07 for personal reasons, but I had every intention to go. Now, in '08, I live in Southern California (moved out here a few months ago) and the lackluster lineup, coupled with the APW Festival, has left my New York friends impulsively telling me they are not coming this year. They would rather come to the amazing desert backdrop than go to Northern Jersey, but without a lineup as spectacular as previous years (to say the least), the incentive to shell out the big bucks is simply not there for them. So, they will likely not be in attendance. It's a shame for me, since the friends I have made out here are not into this type of festival, for the most part. At this point, I do not know what to do. I don't see myself going to Coachella alone, but until I make the final decision I will be downloading music...as if I am still coming.

went in 2006 from ireland, the line ups have always been way better than anything europe had to offer....except this year. looks like the fall out from last summers euro fests. no wow factor
    User hippielove has entered this room.
    [innergorilla] anyone like adrian sherwood?
    [innergorilla] he's got this album, 'never trust a hippy'....its good.
    [innergorilla] no offense hippie love
    User hippielove has logged out.

Yeah, many of my friends think so. We are not thrilled or excited about going. I love Portishead, The Verve, Justice and Kraftwerk... geez, I guess that's it.

We're waiting to confirm if it's true the free tickets this year because of the Will-Call Debacle of 2007; if it's true, we'll see you there, fellas, otherwise... my new car will be bigger, I guess...

We're from Mexico City, btw.
    Last edited by Keitto; 01-22-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateski View Post
    I already booked my plane tickets so the answer is...yes

But if i hadn't got my flights i would prob have passed on this lineup. What with RATM and Metallica playing Reading, Led Zeppelin prob headlining Glastonbury, Kiss @ Download...not counting the awesome lineups forming at Rock Am Ring, Roskilde, etc...i'm gonna have my work cut out as it is!
    I think I want to move overseas!!!!
    Sept 15 - Stone Temple Pilots
    Oct 11 - Henry Rollins
    Oct 14 - Weezer
    Nov 25 - Australian Pink Floyd Show
    Dec 2 - Smashing Pumpkins
    Dec 3 - Smashing Pumpkins (again!)
    Dec 17 - Metallica
    Feb 17 - Murder City Devils
    April 17-19 - COACHELLA!!!!!
    May 17 -KJEE summer roundup feat Kings of Leon
    June 27 - Explosions in the Sky (omfg!)
    Aug 20 - Depeche Mode @ Santa Barbara Bowl
    Aug 22 - Kings of Leon @ Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I'm from Calgary (36 hour drive). My friends (who have come 3 or 4 times now) have all bailed after seeing that poster. Hugely disappointment all around.

I'm probably still coming, just because I look so forward to it all winter. There are some decent bands, but I'm not super excited anymore.
    Drive??? With the $4+ per gallon it'll be by then?? OMG, how much would that cost anyway? You really DRIVE 36 hours?
    Oct 11 - Henry Rollins
    Oct 14 - Weezer
    Dec 17 - Metallica

I am an American and I live pretty damn close to Coachella & I don't even think I'm going to travel a few hours after seeing this years line-up. There are some good bands, but none that are seriously worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ceva81 View Post
    I dont know what the big fucking deal is, those who dont like the line up just dont go and thats it, stop complaining about it im going for sure how can so many people be so close minded plus there are a lot of good bands and dj's that are not headlining cut copy, chromeo, calvin harris, sasha & digweed, sandra collins come on plus roger waters doing the dark side of the moon on the desert? what more can you ask for
    You know what? I'm tired of the "stop complaining, just don't go" responses. The point is these people care. They WANT to go to Coachella. Many are vets that make the trek across the country(s) or ocean. Coachella has the tradition of being the premiere festivals for top acts. They've had a track record for always having the big names.

Now these people who have book hotels and buy plane tickets up to a year in advance get this kind of underwhelming niche market lineup? $1000+ for a bunch of non-headliners? How does one justify that over seeing the same non-headliners with REAL headliners at a festival closer to home for half the money? International or out of state Coachella vets who booked early have every right to protest this lineup.

Jack Johnson: Obviously not a headliner based on pretty much everyone's opinion aroun here. There would be FAR less complaints if he were on the undercard.

Portishead: Not a headliner basically because they've been gone so long and no one but Portishead fans actually know any songs. Many know the band name, most couldn't name 3 songs.

Roger Waters: With the rest of Pink Floyd they would be a headliner. Roger Waters solo... anyone who's not part of his generation or who didn't know he was in Pink Floyd would have no idea who he is.

The fact is a large number of the general public base their concert decision on the headliners. The headliners make or break the ticket buying decision, and the undercard is great filler to round out the festival experience. Everyone just assumed that like all years previous the headliner this year would be stellar, but it seems to many people's opinion this years headliners are a major disappointment and it pains them to see Coachella turnout like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fsm10 View Post
    Coachella has the tradition of being the premiere festivals for top acts. They've had a track record for always having the big names.

Now these people who have book hotels and buy plane tickets up to a year in advance get this kind of underwhelming niche market lineup? $1000+ for a bunch of non-headliners? How does one justify that over seeing the same non-headliners with REAL headliners at a festival closer to home for half the money?

The fact is a large number of the general public base their concert decision on the headliners. The headliners make or break the ticket buying decision, and the undercard is great filler to round out the festival experience. Everyone just assumed that like all years previous the headliner this year would be stellar, but it seems to many people's opinion this years headliners are a major disappointment and it pains them to see Coachella turnout like this.
    I can understand this point of view, for sure. If I had to pre-purchase plane tickets OVERSEAS for date that normally sells out due to demand, dishing out over a grand (at least) anticipating names and a line-up based on the event's history, I'd feel REALLY let down...airlines don't usually refund your $1000+ ticket price because you've decided it's too much money for that line-up. The experience of Coachella IS so much more than just the music as I've said 100+ times, BUT then again, I also LIVE in southern california too....
    Oct 11 - Henry Rollins
    Oct 14 - Weezer
    Dec 17 - Metallica

Coachella's not an actual option for me anyway... but I will miss feeling pissed off about not being able to go, does that count?

I'm still flying from Canada for sure.

Thumbs down Re: Non-Americans: Still considering travelling after seeing the line-up?

I am sick of people complaining about the line up... Quit bitching.. You all know if JJ wasn't on the bill everyone would still be coming. You people just don't have enough money and/or would rather fork out the cash for premier radiohead seats or APW.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    That's an ignorant statement. You're saying all future years will be shite if they don't add some more "headliners" this year?

When you are done with it, pass over that crystal ball. I have to make some sports bets and change my name to Biff Tannen.
    +1 for Tannen

I have been to coachella 06 and 07 from Japan, but I am not sure that I am going this year. I could not make up my mind yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateski View Post
    I already booked my plane tickets so the answer is...yes

But if i hadn't got my flights i would prob have passed on this lineup. What with RATM and Metallica playing Reading, Led Zeppelin prob headlining Glastonbury, Kiss @ Download...not counting the awesome lineups forming at Rock Am Ring, Roskilde, etc...i'm gonna have my work cut out as it is!
    If RATM are definitely playing Reading - are you REALLY sure? - then spending megabucks on Coachella maybe isn't such a good idea!

I've been wanting to go to Coachella for a good 3-4 years now, and I was holding my breath for this year's lineup to be THE lineup for a newbie like myself...and I must say, up to today I'm still a bit disappointed, but then again, there's lots of promising stuff lined up (I'll lose my shit to Kraftwerk, I'm sure), and just the chance of meeting tons of people from all over and getting drunk/fucked up with your best friends in such a setting is very worthwhile IMO

I'm flying in from Monterrey, Mexico, anyone else too?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I've been wanting to go to Coachella for a good 3-4 years now, and I was holding my breath for this year's lineup to be THE lineup for a newbie like myself...and I must say, up to today I'm still a bit disappointed, but then again, there's lots of promising stuff lined up (I'll lose my shit to Kraftwerk, I'm sure), and just the chance of meeting tons of people from all over and getting drunk/fucked up with your best friends in such a setting is very worthwhile IMO

Nope... from Monterrey no, but from Sonora Yup... We'll be driving up to Indio on the 25th. it's about a 6 hour drive from Nogales To Indio... So I'll see you there fellow compadre... lol... I'm also a Newbie...

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

you wont regret it
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats