Thread: Where's the Wolfmother-type Band?

Default Where's the Wolfmother-type Band?

Ya know...I was just surfing this formum and Wolfmother comes on KROQ-FM (Los Angeles), and I'm thinking to myself, "Where's the Wolfmother-type of band at Coachella this year?" I can't think of one, looking at the promo poster. With all the bands from the Ground Control Touring agency playing, one would think they could have added The Minus Five, at least. Heck, at this juncture, I'd settle to get Grand Funk Railroad added to Coachella. (Yeah, they're still touring and they're better than ever with former Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick on board). Just thinking out loud.......

Default Re: Where's the Wolfmother-type Band?

i dunno what you mean by the wolfmother-type band?

If you mean new band with a ton of hype behind them who look to be good, look no further than Silversun Pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET
    With all the bands from the Ground Control Touring agency playing, one would think they could have added The Minus Five, at least.
    IAWTC. Last year's s/t Minus Five album (AKA The Gun Album) was most righteous... plus it would give R.E.M. fans at the festival something of a fix with Messr. Buck on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory
    If you mean new band with a ton of hype behind them who look to be good, look no further than Silversun Pickups.
    IAWTC. Coachella will be their coming-out party the same way it was for M.I.A. in '05 and Wolfmother/Gnarls in '06.
    For my Internet DJ gig, start here: http://xpn2.org
    For professional pictures and words, start here: http://www.desperatehours.com

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    i dunno what you mean by the wolfmother-type band?
    perhaps he means a harder rock band who has no ties to the indie hipster scene, but is not a full blown mainstream popular rock band (such as the RHCP and RATM). Examples of these 'Wolfmother' type bands would be Isis, Mastadon, the Sword, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, the Desert Sessions (band), etc..
    But I think that Silversun Pickups will be the smaller band that 'rawk' fans should check out.

Quote Originally Posted by grungysabbathemohater View Post
    perhaps he means a harder rock band who has no ties to the indie hipster scene, but is not a full blown mainstream popular rock band (such as the RHCP and RATM). Examples of these 'Wolfmother' type bands would be Isis, Mastadon, the Sword, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, the Desert Sessions (band), etc..
    But I think that Silversun Pickups will be the smaller band that 'rawk' fans should check out.
    I can't believe you think Wolfmother and ISIS play the same type of music. Do you have ears? If so, have you ever used them?
    Last edited by ayates; 01-31-2007 at 05:31 PM.

vinylmartyr

I hate that wolfmother singers voice. They should be an instrumental band.

Quote Originally Posted by ayates View Post
    I can't believe you think Wolfmother and ISIS play the same type of music. Do you have ears? If so, have you ever used them?
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by ayates View Post
    no, I don't have ears. I use my hairy bean bag to listen to music with. I simply lay my scrot upon CDs and 'absorb' the music.
    And if you will notice, the bands that I listed as 'Wolfmother-type bands' were all a very generalized list of stoner rock/fuzz rock/stoner metal/experimental hard rock type bands, most of whom don't sound anything similar to one another. (Seriously- I think I can tell the difference between a band as heavy(metal) as Mastadon or The Sword(stoner metal), surfer stoner rock like Fu Manchu, or one as psychedelic/progressive as Isis, and one as mainstream retro-stoner rock as Wolfmother, from one another). These are the main genres of music/bands that I have listened to for more then a decade now (starting with Sabbath, then Kyuss, then progressing from there), and have seen most of the mentioned bands play live.....so thanks, but I don't need a music lesson on stoner rock/metal, and its similar genres.
    I would actually compare Isis to Red Sparrowes meets Godflesh. There. Is that better and more underground for you?
    By the way....nice Mike Patton picture. I am a big fan, who was fortunate enough to see both Faith No More and Mr. Bungle play live.

Well, even though I'm (specifically) coming to Coachella to see the reunited Crowded House--okay, start the flames--I was really hoping there would be a Wolfmother-type act--or two, or ten. It sounds like The Silversun Pickups will be the upstart band to watch. Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar with them, but will definately have to check them out. What I mean by a "Wolfmother-type band" was a three piece, fast, "boogie" rock band...in the vein of Wolfmother, or--this dates me here--Budgie or Grand Funk Railroad, or even something like the very first Rush album with their original drummer (before Neil P.). That kind of r'n'r. I'm not familiar with all the bands on the poster, but I didn't see any that really fit the bill...but it sounds like Silversun Pickups might. Any others more familiar with this years artists who might make some similiar recommendations? Rage is just too funky-hip-hop-rock for my tastes, as are most of what The Chili Peppers do. I'm not berating them; they're just not for me. I realize lots of you like both acts. I'm looking for something more old school blues boogie based.

I got, check out the Black Keys. Its 2 guys, Very bluesy with a little psychadelic rock mixed in. Auerbach is a hell of a guitarist. One of my favorite bands, I own all of their cds.

I got, check out the Black Keys. Its 2 guys, Very bluesy with a little psychadelic rock mixed in. Auerbach is a hell of a guitarist. One of my favorite bands, I own all of their cds.
    Thanks. Got'em on my list.

I will, never heard of em, but plann on seeing em if thats their sound. Bet it will be cool. As for wolfmother, their in Calgary on Feb. 24th and I'll be there.

http://hype.non-standard.net/search/...lack%20keys/1/

Check them out here. I don't want you guys going to them and not liking them then I'd feel bad for giving you "bad" advice. So check them out first. The first song on there is one of their slower songs so listen to more than you're the one.
    Last edited by summerkid; 02-02-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks for recommending this band (Black Keys). I have been checking them out and am looking forward to seeing them. Them and Silversun Pickups are the two up and coming 'rock' bands that I am most looking forward to checking out. I wish they would add another rock band who is just a little bit heavier though. ISIS!

I admit to heading out to Coachella just to see RATM, but The Black Keys are a SWEET bonus. Much better than Wolfmother, imo.