View Poll Results: WHO'S THE BETTER HEADLINER??

Voters
355. You may not vote on this poll
  • JACK JOHNSON

12 3.38%
  • PORTISHEAD

184 51.83%
  • ROGER WATERS

181 50.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: THE OFFICIAL JACK JOHNSON vs. PORTISHEAD vs. ROGER WATERS THREAD

Default Re: THE OFFICIAL JACK JOHNSON vs. PORTISHEAD vs. ROGER WATERS THREAD

odetta will be appearing after mr johnson

Quote Originally Posted by everlay View Post
    odetta will be appearing after mr johnson

I actually dig this clip who is that
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    theres nothing gay about snowballing...

odetta

she's a big influence on many (you can catch her in scorcese's dylan biopic "no direction home")

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=odetta

Exclamation Re: THE OFFICIAL JACK JOHNSON vs. PORTISHEAD vs. ROGER WATERS THREAD

Hm, that`s quiet shocking. I thought people will be extremely happy seeing and hearing Waters. Are you guys actually familiar with Pink Floyd? Because it makes me feel like you`ve heard of the name only but never experienced that heavenly music. And I mean..."Dark Side of the Moon" JESUS! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?! Seeing a musical genius performing live at least once in my life will be divine (even though I do like Gilmour better)

Jack Johnson? I never heard of him (no sarcasm)

As always, the Gilwhorians will be converted to Rogneesh after seeeing The Man live. Gilwhore's Pink Fraud wasn't The Floyd...there is only ONE Pink Floyd, and his name is Roger Waters.

i'm stunned Waters will be at Coachella. this aint no brit fest. but, it's Roger Waters and he is worth going over to the mainstage.

Portishead!!

I love how Jack Johnson has 8 votes. Maybe GV will take a hint that he sucks.

Portishead, even though they don't make a great headliner they are still amazing.

Portishead! and the are releasing their album in april titled- Third

This is a bit like the U.S. Primary 2008 Election, isn't it? None of the candidates are really any good, so who do I vote for? I vote for Portishead as the lesser of all evils, and they're not headline material--not by a long shot. Not even for Coachella.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    This is a bit like the U.S. Primary 2008 Election, isn't it? None of the candidates are really any good, so who do I vote for? I vote for Portishead as the lesser of all evils, and they're not headline material--not by a long shot. Not even for Coachella.
    Portishead is the Ron Paul of Coachella. They're a good headliner, you just don't know it yet.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Amazing, but not a surprise at the same time.

From Jack Johnson:

"My friends and I have just finished recording a new album called Sleep Through the Static. At this point in my life I weigh about 190 lbs and my ear hairs are getting longer. I also have a couple of kids. My wife popped them out, but I helped. Some of the songs on this album are about making babies."

This must account for those 9 votes. Who doesn't love ear hair?

Quote Originally Posted by It'sTheWhiskeyTalking View Post
    From Jack Johnson:

"My friends and I have just finished recording a new album called Sleep Through the Static. At this point in my life I weigh about 190 lbs and my ear hairs are getting longer. I also have a couple of kids. My wife popped them out, but I helped. Some of the songs on this album are about making babies."

This must account for those 9 votes. Who doesn't love ear hair?
    jack Johnson is a pole smoking ***
    Почему не делают все, что Вы относитесь распутников по-матерински, едят дерьмо и умирают?

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    jack Johnson is a pole smoking ***
    I like your style, User Name. I'm surprised with all the JJ supporters in here, that he hasn't gotten any more votes.

Exclamation Re: THE OFFICIAL JACK JOHNSON vs. PORTISHEAD vs. ROGER WATERS THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gravy View Post
    I'm surprised with all the JJ supporters in here, that he hasn't gotten any more votes.
    This poll is why I cannot fathom how they sold out of Friday passes so quick unless some other factor is at play. Perhaps GV realized they'd be stuck with a ton of Friday passes and opted for forced three day passes instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    This poll is why I cannot fathom how they sold out of Friday passes so quick unless some other factor is at play. Perhaps GV realized they'd be stuck with a ton of Friday passes and opted for forced three day passes instead?
    Something's going on. There's no way JJ can sell out Friday or any of the other acts playing that day. If I end up getting a 3 day pass, I'm selling my Friday and Sunday passes. But then again, I don't think there's gonna be a high demand for my Friday pass so I guess Im gonna be stuck with it.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    I disagree..I have argued for over a year that Portishead is indeed Headliner worthy...especially given their time away from the states...they are the only headliner this year that fits into Coachella's normal stuff...you could say well, they don't have enough albums under their belt and what not but then Coldplay headlined with only 2 albums and the 3rd on the way...same as Portishead...plus Portishead has been one of the most requested bands every single year...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

you dont have my choice

AnyOne

Portishead

Ok, I know a lot of people are excited about Portishead but let's put this in perspective.

Portishead had two albums in three years (not counting the live record). Both records were released more than ten years ago. Frankly, I don't really think they're a notable band based on their music but I do respect the fact that other people might feel differently. That said, do they really deserve a headliner spot or as a headliner do we really think they're in the same category as Roger Waters? No, I hope not.

Jack Johnson, love him or hate him, has actually played Coachella twice before when he was "less famous". I don't think he's an ideal headliner but I guess I think that in the mind of Golden Voice they believe he deserves the spot. I rate this with a certain degree of ambivalence.

So, at the end of the day if we're forced to choose between these headliners, there is really only one choice. A grizzled rock veteran who's going to bust out the entirety of a thirty year old record on us on a Sunday night. Could it be better? Sure, lots. Could it be worse? In theory, yes.

Waters wins. Everything else loses or fails to show in the voting.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    Portishead is the Ron Paul of Coachella. They're a good headliner, you just don't know it yet.
    BUT

with Ron Paul, you'll never get to know if he's a good President or not.
    I love music, and I hate vowels.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msklvr View Post
    BUT

with Ron Paul, you'll never get to know if he's a good President or not.
    If I can see Portishead at Coachella, Ron Paul can be President. Logic? Miracles can happen.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by AnyaK View Post
    Hm, that`s quiet shocking. I thought people will be extremely happy seeing and hearing Waters. Are you guys actually familiar with Pink Floyd? Because it makes me feel like you`ve heard of the name only but never experienced that heavenly music. And I mean..."Dark Side of the Moon" JESUS! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?! Seeing a musical genius performing live at least once in my life will be divine (even though I do like Gilmour better)

Your arrogance is making you look foolish.

In other words, I will pit my Pink Floyd knowledge against yours any day of the week. And I voted for Portishead, even though I find them kinda boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AnyaK View Post

The fact of the matter isn't a lack of appreciation for Roger Waters, Pink Floyd et al. It is however the fact that I have seen Roger Waters perform 2 times within the last year. I love attending Coachella because I get to see a variety of artists that don't tour or have not toured the U.S. in a considerable amount of time.

Roger Waters, but Portishead right now makes me excited to see them more at the moment. The fact that I get to see both in the same weekend makes me happy.
    "Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes." Mahatma Gandhi

Portishead, not that it's a big enough band to be a headliner. Roger Waters is obviously the most worthy of being in the "headliner" category, but Portishead is more my speed.